PDA

View Full Version : 31 U.S. Servicemen, Mostly Navy SEAL Team-6 Members, Die in Afghanistan

Nickdfresh
08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
31 US troops die in Afghanistan; many from unit that killed bin Laden
7 Afghan commandos are also killed; Chinook crash appears to be deadliest single incident in the decade-long war

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110806_chinookfile.grid-5x2.jpg
Peter Parks / AFP - Getty Images file
In this photograph taken on March 30, 2011, two U.S. army Chinook helicopters land at Kandahar airfield in southern Afghanistan.

KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Saturday killing 31 U.S. special-forces troops, including more than 20 Navy SEALS from the unit that killed Osama bin Laden, and 7 Afghan commandos.

It was the deadliest single combat incident for American troops in 10 years of war, according to an American official.

The operators from SEAL Team Six were flown by a crew of the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regimen, according to U.S. officials who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because families are still being notified of the loss of their loved ones.

One source says the team was thought to include 22 SEALs, three Air Force air controllers, seven Afghan Army troops, a dog and his handler, and a civilian interpreter, plus the helicopter crew.

The sources thought this was the largest single loss of life ever for SEAL Team Six, known as the Naval Special Warfare Development Group.

A brief statement from the presidential palace said the helicopter had crashed in central Wardak province, an area west of Kabul. The volatile region is known for its strong Taliban presence.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai "shared his deep sorrow and sadness" with U.S. counterpart Barack Obama and the families of the U.S. and Afghan victims, the statement said. Obama, who learned of the deaths while at Camp David, mourned the deaths of the 7 Afghan soldiers killed, and issued a written statement saying Americans' thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who perished.
Advertise | AdChoices

The crash is a reminder of the "extraordinary sacrifices" being made by America's military and its families, Obama wrote.

The Taliban claimed to have shot down the troop-carrying Chinook helicopter during a firefight. The Islamist group also said in a statement that eight insurgents had been killed in the battle.

NBC News quoted a Taliban spokesman as claiming the U.S. troops were attacking a compound that was housing militants when the aircraft was brought down. However, the Taliban has been known to make exaggerated claims in the past.

A senior Obama administration official told The Associated Press that the aircraft had apparently been shot down by insurgents. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the crash is still being investigated.

'Enemy activity in the area'
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the overnight incident and said there "was enemy activity in the area." But it said it was still investigating the cause. The alliance was conducting a recovery operation at the site, it said, without releasing details or a casualty figure.

"We are aware of an incident involving a helicopter in eastern Afghanistan," said U.S. Air Force Capt. Justin Brockhoff, a NATO spokesman. "We are in the process of accessing the facts."

The helicopter was a twin-rotor Chinook, which are used for transport, said an official at NATO headquarters in Brussels, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The Chinook was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, a military source reportedly told the New York Times.

Gen. Abdul Qayoom Baqizoy, police chief of Wardak, told the Times that the joint NATO-Afghan operation began around 1 a.m. Saturday with an attack on a Taliban compound in the village of Jaw-e-mekh Zareen.

He said the resulting firefight lasted at least two hours.

"It was at the end of the operation that one of the NATO helicopters crashed," he said. "We don't know yet the cause of the crash and we don't know how many NATO soldiers were on board," he told the Times.

The majority of foreign troops in Wardak, which comes under ISAF's eastern regional command, are American.

Citing a U.S. military official, ABC News reported that the victims included 25 Navy SEALs.

The Washington Post reported that a second coalition helicopter made a "precautionary landing" Saturday in Afghanistan's Khost province. Brockhoff, the NATO spokesman, said the helicopter sustained minor damage and no injuries were reported. He rejected Taliban claims that the second aircraft had been shot down.

Aircraft crashes are relatively frequent in Afghanistan, where insecurity and difficult terrain make air travel essential for coalition forces transporting troops and equipment.

There have been at least 17 coalition and Afghan aircraft crashes in Afghanistan this year. Most of the crashes are attributed to pilot errors, weather conditions or mechanical failures. However, the coalition has confirmed that at least one CH-47F Chinook helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade on July 25, injuring two crewmembers.

The incident comes only two weeks after the start of a gradual process of handing security responsibility from foreign forces to Afghan troops and police, and at a time of growing unease about the increasingly unpopular and costly war.

That process is due to end with all foreign combat troops leaving Afghanistan by the end of 2014, but some U.S. lawmakers have already questioned whether that handover is fast enough.
Interactive: The cost of war (on this page)

The crash was by far the worst incident of the war for foreign troops and easily surpassed the worst incidents of battlefield losses.

In April 2005, another CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed, killing 15 U.S. servicemen and three civilian contractors. Another Chinook crash in June the same year killed 17 U.S. troops.

U.S. and other NATO commanders have claimed success in reversing the momentum of a growing insurgency in the Taliban heartland in the south, although insurgents have shown a worrying ability to adapt their tactics and mount major attacks in other areas.
Video: Mullen: ‘We’re moving in the right direction’ in Afghanistan

Those gains, however, have come at a price, with 711 foreign troops killed in Afghanistan in 2010, easily the deadliest year of the war for all concerned since the Taliban were toppled by U.S.-backed foreign troops in late 2001.

The crash in Wardak means that at least 374 foreign troops have been killed so far in 2011, more than two-thirds of them American, according to independent monitor www.icasualties.com and figures kept by Reuters.

Despite the alarming military toll, ordinary Afghan civilians have continued to bear the brunt of the war, with civilian casualties also hitting record levels in the first six months of this year, according to U.N. figures.
Advertise | AdChoices

Earlier on Saturday, Afghan police said a NATO airstrike killed eight civilians in southern Helmand province on Friday.

ISAF confirmed there had been an airstrike in Helmand's Nad Ali district and said it was investigating whether civilians had been present at the time. Helmand, a Taliban stronghold, is the deadliest province in Afghanistan for international troops.

Civilian casualties caused by foreign troops hunting Taliban fighters and other insurgents have long been a major source of friction between Kabul and its Western backers.

Nad Ali district police chief Shidi Khan said the airstrike was called in after insurgents attacked ISAF troops in the area.

The Associated Press, msnbc.com staff, NBC News and Reuters contributed to this report.

Nickdfresh
08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
R.I.P.

Fuck this war....

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 02:12 PM
The question isn't victory in Afghanistan. The question is how long are you going to stay and how soon are you going to leave. Soldiers are expendable and equipment needs to be replaced. Somebody makes money. The same old story.

VanHalener
08-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Our flag is at half staff.

Rest in peace, my American brothers.

jhale667
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
:( Rest in Peace.

Seshmeister
08-06-2011, 04:13 PM
The question is how long are you going to stay and how soon are you going to leave.

Which makes it entirely a political question. In other words politicians are expending peoples lives to suit their own agendas about elections and saving face.

FORD
08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
It's time to pull the plug on this bullshit. Well, actually it's about 9 years and 9 months past time...... :(

standin
08-07-2011, 06:02 AM
That is not going to bode well.
God have mercy ~`~

Cults , good or bad, often take heed of perceived "signs".

For the record, Bin Laden was/is a cult leader or the bad sort.

Sam42
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
It's sad but really simple to understand. In Clinton's last term, he cut the military, CIA, FBI, and other agencies and that left this country vulnerable to an attack from the inside. Bush rides in, inheriting these fractured agencies and the US get's attacked. Instead of focusing 100% on killing Bin Laden, he start's another campaign against Saddam, that was a personal vendetta for the assassination attempt against his father. So while we are fighting 2 wars and losing good men and women each and every day. We are also dishing out billions of dollars to countries that are more evil in nature than what we are fighting. So after 10 yrs. we finally kill Bin Laden and we are still in conflict with the Taliban. This country and it's leaders must have a very short memory. What is happening now is the same thing that happened to Soviet Union when they were entangled in their war with the Afghans. They left that campaign without a victory, had a huge military death toll and left the Soviet Union damn near broke. Can anyone refresh my memory and tell me again why are we fighting the Taliban? It also pisses me off to even come to grips that all this was caused by a dumb ass outdated religious bull shit belief. They believe in this and we believe in that and nothing is gonna change that until the end of whatever.

I am very proud of all our military men and women who lace up their boots and fight for the freedoms we have in this country. When you see something like this, that takes the lives of the very best of the best and then compare that commitment to our fucking lame ass spineless government, that only wants to profit on the lives of men like those Navy Seals, you have to wonder, what the hell are us as Americans are really doing.

kwame k
08-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree with 99.9% of what you're saying Sam but........Bush ignored the memos that said, "Terraist are going to attack with planes" :pullinghair:

Sam42
08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with 99.9% of what you're saying Sam but........Bush ignored the memos that said, "Terraist are going to attack with planes" :pullinghair:

I didn't mean to make Bush sound like he wasn't a jackass as well. He dropped the ball bigger than hell.

kwame k
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I didn't mean to make Bush sound like he wasn't a jackass as well. He dropped the ball bigger than hell.

Didn't think you were and Clinton did cut what you said........just when a daily briefing memo specifically says terraist and plane and our response was to let red flagged terraist on fucking planes is beyond belief!

standin
08-07-2011, 08:06 PM
That is not going to bode well.
God have mercy ~`~

Cults , good or bad, often take heed of perceived "signs".

For the record, Bin Laden was/is a cult leader or the bad sort.

Edit: cult leader of* the bad sort
Not cult leader or the bad sort.

lesfunk
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
These deaths are on Obama not Bush. He was going to bring everybody home wasn't he?

kwame k
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Well actually, he said he was going to increase troops in Afghanistan and withdraw troops in Iraq.

lesfunk
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Well he better add some more then. They're dropping like flies over there

kwame k
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
We lost both Occupations......time to leave!

FORD
08-07-2011, 11:34 PM
For the record, the cuts Clinton made to the military in the 1990s were as prescribed by a timetable set up by Poppy Bush, and done so because, after the demise of the Soviet Union, there was no credible military threat against the United States of America

Guess what? That hasn't changed. Afghanistan never attacked us. Iraq never attacked us. Pakistan never attacked us. China doesn't NEED to attack us. There still is NO credible military threat to the USA.

We don't need a military big enough to occupy half the goddamn planet. If old Tommy Jefferson were around today, he'd remind us that we aren't supposed to have a standing army at all, but I doubt we would ever go that far. But to reduce it to a size that's reasonable to defend the actual USA and not this empire bullshit - that is precisely what needs to happen.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2011, 02:11 AM
It's sad but really simple to understand. In Clinton's last term, he cut the military, CIA, FBI, and other agencies and that left this country vulnerable to an attack from the inside. Bush rides in, inheriting these fractured agencies and the US get's attacked....

What's this flaming dicklick prattling on about?

Nitro Express
08-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Which makes it entirely a political question. In other words politicians are expending peoples lives to suit their own agendas about elections and saving face.

When Vietnam was going the joke was we are too manly to pull out. I never thought we would ever get into a similar situation again but we did.

standin
08-08-2011, 03:52 AM
When Vietnam was going the joke was we are too manly to pull out. I never thought we would ever get into a similar situation again but we did.
I should really change IDs to write this... nevertheless....

Pull out?! Do the manly thing? Eh! America fucked around and is paying the price of slow heeled ways with an abortion... specifically, with 919,967 really late term abortions.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
A good friend of mine here knew every one of those Seals that died....

I talked to him this afternoon... Incredibly, he's seen so many of his friends die by now that he's almost numb to it.....

Seshmeister
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
It must be absolutely hellish to clean that up and then get in a helicopter.

In 20 years time there will be guys going nuts and shooting people from the village bell tower because of these pointless wars. Thousands will come back and end up as homeless drunks in all the major cities.

Nitro Express
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
A good friend of mine here knew every one of those Seals that died....

I talked to him this afternoon... Incredibly, he's seen so many of his friends die by now that he's almost numb to it.....

Sorry to hear that and I mean I'm really sorry.

As this war goes on and everything else it's making me fucking numb.

You would think that big wall on the Washington mall full of dead people's names would make people think never again but memories are short, politicians only care about money, and the defense contractors need an excuse to stay in business. In short. They don't care if you die. Plus, when interest rates were cheap and the stock market and home market were humming, the general public was more concerned about getting it now and making quick money than the wars. They only seem to care now that their world has turned to shit.

So if you don't have family, friends, or a pet. Nobody gives a shit about you and that's the damn truth of it and maybe that's what everyone is waking up to. It's the honest truth.

FORD
08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FYiZFUExc

FORD
08-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Labrador retriever Hawkeye lies down with a sigh at funeral of his owner

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/110825-seal-vmed-5a.grid-5x2.jpg
Lisa Pembleton / Getty Images
Hawkeye lays by the casket during the funeral of his owner, Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson, on August 19.

By Scott Stump
TODAY.com contributor
updated 8/25/2011 9:54:58 AM ET

Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson lay in a coffin, draped in an American flag, in front of a tearful audience mourning his death in Afghanistan. Soon an old friend appeared, and like a fellow soldier on a battlefield, his loyal dog refused to leave him behind.

Tumilson’s Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson’s casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson’s hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/tdy-110811-at-sgt-tumilson.grid-3x2.jpg
Image: Jon T. Tumilson
AP
Petty Officer 1st Class Jon T. Tumilson was killed along with other SEALs on Aug. 6 in Afghanistan.

The photo was snapped by Tumilson’s cousin, Lisa Pembleton, and posted on her Facebook page in memory of the San Diego resident. Tumilson, 35, was one of 30 American troops, including 22 Navy SEALs, who were killed when a Taliban insurgent shot down a Chinook helicopter with a rocket-propelled grenade on Aug. 6.

“I felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle,” Pembleton wrote on her Facebook page. “To say that he was an amazing man doesn't do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.’’

Hawkeye was such a huge part of Tumilson’s life that Tumilson’s family followed the dog down the aisle as they entered the service in front of a capacity crowd in the gymnasium at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock Community School. Hawkeye then followed Tumilson’s good friend, Scott Nichols, as Nichols approached the stage to give a speech. As Nichols prepared to memorialize his friend, Hawkeye dutifully laid down near the casket.

The youngest of three children, Tumilson had wanted to be a Navy SEAL since he was a teenager. Friends and his two older sisters remembered a fearless soldier, and a Power Point presentation was shown that illustrated Tumilson’s active life outside of the military, which included scuba diving, martial arts, and triathlons.

"If J.T. had known he was going to be shot down when going to the aid of others, he would have went anyway," friend Boe Nankivel said at the service.

“Your dreams were big and seemed impossible to nearly everyone on the outside," his sister, Kristie Pohlman, said at the service. "I always knew you'd somehow do what you wanted."

As for Hawkeye, the loyal Labrador will now be owned by Nichols, Tumilson’s friend.

ashstralia
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
saw that on the local news today, FORD. absolutely heartbreaking.

Hardrock69
08-26-2011, 01:00 AM
So terribly, terribly sad.

They do not call them Man's Best Friend for nothing.

Poor fella.

THIS WAR HAS TO STOP!

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING OVER THERE??????

THEY ARE NOT ACCOMPLISHING A GODDAMN THING! THEY HAVE DONE EVERYTHING THEY SET OUT TO DO! :mad:

THIS HAS TO FUCKING STOP!

NOW!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seshmeister
08-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Definition of FOLLY

: lack of good sense or normal prudence and foresight
a : criminally or tragically foolish actions or conduct
b obsolete : evil, wickedness; especially : lewd behavior
: a foolish act or idea
: an excessively costly or unprofitable undertaking

chefcraig
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
As a pet owner myself, this story broke my heart. Now it's your turn. :(

Dog mourns at casket of fallen Navy SEAL

Labrador retriever Hawkeye lies down with a sigh at funeral of his owner

By Scott Stump TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44271018/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/t/dog-mourns-casket-fallen-navy-seal/#.TlaJZhEU9cE.facebook)

http://img1.imagehousing.com/19/998849a887df1cd84fa7ac76f154c29c.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/834463)
Lisa Pembleton / Getty Images
Hawkeye lays by the casket during the funeral of his owner, Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson, on August 19.

Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson lay in a coffin, draped in an American flag, in front of a tearful audience mourning his death in Afghanistan. Soon an old friend appeared, and like a fellow soldier on a battlefield, his loyal dog refused to leave him behind.

Tumilson's Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson's casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson's hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

The photo was snapped by Tumilson's cousin, Lisa Pembleton, and posted on her Facebook page in memory of the San Diego resident. Tumilson, 35, was one of 30 American troops, including 22 Navy SEALs, who were killed when a Taliban insurgent shot down a Chinook helicopter with a rocket-propelled grenade on Aug. 6.

"I felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle," Pembleton wrote on her Facebook page. "To say that he was an amazing man doesn't do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.''

http://img1.imagehousing.com/77/992570b3f9ebf6a72320e0d8f0eec1fc.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/834464)

AP
Petty Officer 1st Class Jon T. Tumilson was killed along with other SEALs on Aug. 6 in Afghanistan.

Hawkeye was such a huge part of Tumilson's life that Tumilson's family followed the dog down the aisle as they entered the service in front of a capacity crowd in the gymnasium at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock Community School. Hawkeye then followed Tumilson's good friend, Scott Nichols, as Nichols approached the stage to give a speech. As Nichols prepared to memorialize his friend, Hawkeye dutifully laid down near the casket.

The youngest of three children, Tumilson had wanted to be a Navy SEAL since he was a teenager. Friends and his two older sisters remembered a fearless soldier, and a Power Point presentation was shown that illustrated Tumilson's active life outside of the military, which included scuba diving, martial arts, and triathlons.

"If J.T. had known he was going to be shot down when going to the aid of others, he would have went anyway," friend Boe Nankivel said at the service.

"Your dreams were big and seemed impossible to nearly everyone on the outside," his sister, Kristie Pohlman, said at the service. "I always knew you'd somehow do what you wanted."

As for Hawkeye, the loyal Labrador will now be owned by Nichols, Tumilson's friend.

sadaist
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
As a pet owner myself, this story broke my heart. Now it's your turn. :(

Too late Chef. I saw this yesterday & began to tear up. I recently lost my female Boxer and I know how strong the love can be amongst canines & humans. I do like cats, had one for 16 years and really loved him. But cats can't compare to the loyalty, dedication and love you can get from a dog.

Take care of your puppies & love em with all you got. You will get it back from them tenfold. I've heard having a dog makes you live longer. I don't know about that, but it sure makes the time you are here a helluva lot better.

jhale667
08-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I too saw this yesterday. Heartbreaking. :(

Blaze
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
:cry2:

knuckleboner
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
serious question: is there any way that a dog would actually know what was in the casket? i have no doubt the dog would lie by an unconscious or even dead owner, but after the body's been prepared and put in a closed casket?

i mean, i know there's a solid bond between good owners and their pets, and i think i've read the same study as sadist - or at least something similiar - and it makes sense; you have something to take care of and look forward to, especially with a dog, exercise with a bit, that could influence lifespan.

sadaist
08-26-2011, 07:23 PM
serious question: is there any way that a dog would actually know what was in the casket? i have no doubt the dog would lie by an unconscious or even dead owner, but after the body's been prepared and put in a closed casket?

I know that the funeral procedures have strayed away from heavy embalming in the last decade or so. So the body might retain more original smell than a fully embalmed/preserved one. Also if the soldier was wearing his full uniform it would smell like him. Labs have one of the better senses of smell. So I'm guessing the dog was going by scent and the fact that everyone was there except his master. Dog put 1 & 1 together...faint smell of master & master only 1 not there = must be in the box.

Serious. My boxer found a tiny sausage that rolled off a slice of pizza into the lawn in pitch black as I walked out to the car. She didn't even see it drop as she was already in the car. When we got back 30 minutes later she starts sniffing around the lawn...BAM! Lawn sausages. I was quite impressed.

Hardrock69
08-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes, dog knew. Sense of smell was enough. Their sense of smell is like 100,000 times more sensitive than humans.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. When I saw that photo for the first time, I went and hugged my dog. We do love each other a lot, and he knows how I feel about him. :(

Lola
08-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I cried when I saw this. It just breaks your heart. :(

Nickdfresh
08-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Dupe thread merged...