X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

S&P Downgrades US to AA+

Surprised I haven't seen this around yet. No one wants to talk about something we voluntarily inflicted on ourselves with that insane brinksmanship in congress?

(Reuters) - The United States lost its top-notch AAA credit rating from Standard & Poor's on Friday in an unprecedented reversal of fortune for the world's largest economy.

S&P cut the long-term U.S. credit rating by one notch to AA-plus on concerns about the government's budget deficits and rising debt burden. The move is likely to raise borrowing costs eventually for the American government, companies and consumers.

"The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics," S&P said in a statement.

The decision follows a fierce political battle in Congress over cutting spending and raising taxes to reduce the government's debt burden and allow its statutory borrowing limit to be raised.

On August 2, President Barack Obama signed legislation designed to reduce the fiscal deficit by $2.1 trillion over 10 years. But that was well short of the $4 trillion in savings S&P had called for as a good "down payment" on fixing America's finances.

The political gridlock in Washington and the failure to seriously address U.S. long-term fiscal problems came against the backdrop of slowing U.S. economic growth and led to the worst week in the U.S. stock market in two years.

The S&P 500 stock index fell 10.8 percent in the past 10 trading days on concerns that the U.S. economy may head into another recession and because the European debt crisis has been growing worse as it spreads to Italy.

U.S. Treasury bonds, once undisputedly seen as the safest security in the world, are now rated lower than bonds issued by countries such as Britain, Germany, France or Canada.

The outlook on the new U.S. credit rating is "negative", S&P said in a statement, a sign that another downgrade is possible in the next 12 to 18 months.

The impact of S&P's move was tempered by a decision from Moody's Investors Service earlier this week that confirmed, for now, the U.S. Aaa rating. Fitch Ratings said it is still reviewing the rating and will issue its opinion by the end of the month.

"It's not entirely unexpected. I believe it has already been partly priced into the dollar. We expect some further pressure on the U.S. dollar, but a sharp sell-off is in our view unlikely," said Vassili Serebriakov, currency strategist at Wells Fargo in New York.

"One of the reasons we don't really think foreign investors will start selling U.S. Treasuries aggressively is because there are still few alternatives to the U.S. Treasury market in terms of depth and liquidity," Serebriakov added.

S&P's move is also likely to concern foreign creditors especially China, which holds more than $1 trillion of U.S. debt. Beijing has repeatedly urged Washington to protect its U.S. dollar investments by addressing its budget problem.

The downgrade could add up to 0.7 of a percentage point to U.S. Treasuries' yields over time, increasing funding costs for public debt by some $100 billion, according to SIFMA, a U.S. securities industry trade group.

S&P had placed the U.S. credit rating on review for a possible downgrade on July 14 on concerns that Congress was not adequately addressing the government fiscal deficit of about $1.4 trillion this year, or about 9.0 percent of gross domestic product, one of the highest since World War II.

The unprecedented downgrade of the nation's AAA credit rating by a major ratings agency comes only 15 months before the next presidential election where the downgrade and the debt will be top issues for debate.

Bitter political battles remain over the ideologically fraught issues of spending cuts and tax reform.

The compromise reached by Republicans and Democrats this week calls for the creation of a bipartisan congressional committee to find $1.5 trillion of deficit cuts by late November, beyond the $917 billion already identified.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Seems like there are consequences to the nonsense going on in Washington after all. If those jackasses put country ahead of politics, this wouldn't have happened.

We did this to ourselves, voluntarily, and I hope it wakes some people up.

Comment

• conmee
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

Dr. Love,

I feel bad for that girl on the left as she doesn't have quite as much to shake as her three friends.

That is all.

Icon©®™
      An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
      hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• standin
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

It is kind of funny "Dr. Love" is complaining about "serious" topics.
        What is also funny he post a thread about a serious topic.

Do notice in his second post he removed his "siggy"
        Poor Dr. Love.... What were you talking about, Dr. Love sweetie?
        To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
        MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by conmee
          Dr. Love,

I feel bad for that girl on the left as she doesn't have quite as much to shake as her three friends.

That is all.

Icon©®™

But she is by far the most attractive. And in several years she won't be sagging.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by standin

It is kind of funny "Dr. Love" is complaining about "serious" topics.
            What is also funny he post a thread about a serious topic.

Do notice in his second post he removed his "siggy"
            Poor Dr. Love.... What were you talking about, Dr. Love sweetie?
            The forum software only shows your sig once if you post multiple times per page in a thread. I did not (nor could I/would I) remove the sig in subsequent posts.
            Last edited by Dr. Love; 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

So a credit rating company now runs the Government. It is funny that for years now, they have wrecked and ruined individual lives all accross the world, and they now Openly tell the world's most prominent Democracy how we should shape policy. I don't remember voting for them.

Wake Up.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Take these rating agencies with a grain of salt. They all ranked the bonds full of bad mortgages AAA and people got burned because of it. About every nation in the western world is in debt now with the exception of Switzerland and maybe Germany.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

You know the sad thing is, I don't think there's even a plan to try to pay off the debt. The plan is always figuring out how to borrow/spend more.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Money is just a way of keeping score. It's a form of convenience more than anything. The real economy is not money. The real economy is people making stuff and doing stuff. Finance is speculation on who and how stuff is made and done. Banks create nothing and do nothing. They don't raise or grow the food you eat. They don't fix your car. They simply set themselves up as the middle man where all the transactions go through and create the money for convenience. When banks become too powerful they start to tell us who can make stuff, how it's made and who gets to trade with each other. That way they corner the market of production for themselves. They can do this with individuals, businesses, and even whole nations if the banks are big enough and have enough politicians that work for them.

The solution. Cut the banks out of the loop. They are not the economy. People are the economy. Doing something productive that someone else wants is the economy. The banks only provide an avenue for exchange and now they have become too powerful. If we were smart we would just trade with each other directly and cut these banks out of the loop and starve them to death.
                    Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                      You know the sad thing is, I don't think there's even a plan to try to pay off the debt. The plan is always figuring out how to borrow/spend more.
                      There is no plan. Politicians are dumb and just figure it will be business as usual and the Fed can just keep printing money and foreigners will be dumb enough to continue to loan us money. They think they can kick the can down the road and they will be long gone before it has to be dealt with. I think most of them don't have a fucking clue. They just want their piece of this pie they think will always be there. They have a job and they are getting paid. Washington has a total disconnect from the rest of the world. It's nothing more than a big trough of money the pigs feed from.

Comment

• standin
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                        The forum software only shows your sig once if you post multiple times per page in a thread. I did not (nor could I/would I) remove the sig in subsequent posts.
                        I had not noticed that the forum software only shows your sig once if you post multiple times per page in a thread, sweetcakes.

That's the challenge of being a sexploit one really has to put extra curliness and cuteness into writing to be heard past the sexploit.

Take for example a comparison of Flynt and Hefner. Hefner smiles, waves, flounces his hard leg, and does little if anything toward good serious subjects. Yet, people still claim to read his rag for the articles.
                        Flynt sneers, snarls, tries to claim cleverness, and does quite a bit toward good serious subjects. Yet, people still view him as nothing more than a dust bunny under the bed.

Poor Hef and his once a week is good sex declaration. He is such a trouble boi. Old Flynt and his whining about pain when in fact we all know it is just bipolar. He is such a racket.

To put it simply, we need to worry a lot less about how to communicate our actions and much more about what our actions communicate.
                        MICHAEL G. MULLEN

Comment

• Dr. Love
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

um... ok

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by standin
                            I had not noticed that the forum software only shows your sig once if you post multiple times per page in a thread, sweetcakes.

That's the challenge of being a sexploit one really has to put extra curliness and cuteness into writing to be heard past the sexploit.

Take for example a comparison of Flynt and Hefner. Hefner smiles, waves, flounces his hard leg, and does little if anything toward good serious subjects. Yet, people still claim to read his rag for the articles.
                            Flynt sneers, snarls, tries to claim cleverness, and does quite a bit toward good serious subjects. Yet, people still view him as nothing more than a dust bunny under the bed.

Poor Hef and his once a week is good sex declaration. He is such a trouble boi. Old Flynt and his whining about pain when in fact we all know it is just bipolar. He is such a racket.

Do your posts even make sense to you
                            Originally posted by vandeleur
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

We owe $14,300,000,000,000. Do any of you honestly believe we warrant the top AAA credit rating? Why is this a shock to anyone?

(I think I did enough zeros up there.)

This downgrade could either be great or horrible. Great if it is the wake up slap everyone needed to actually finally get our shit under control. Or horrible because it could just be yet another sign that America is crumbling apart ie the Soviet Union. Which way we take it is not pre-determined. We have the power to take either course. I feel terribly sad because I really believe we are on the bad course and will just stand around blaming the other guy for it rather than right the ship ourselves.

Who is to blame? EVERY politician in the last 40 years up to right now...this very second. Fire every single one of them tomorrow and bring in 100% new people. Set term limits and take away all the cushy perks they get. Politicians should not be treated like royalty. They are civilians taking their turn in public service.

And no more term limit position hopping. If you were mayor and ran out of time, you can not be governor, senator, congressman, insurance commissioner, etc. You're done. Possibly exceptions could be made if there is a large enough gap of time between times that you serve that allow you to come back.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...