PDA

View Full Version : Gun, 'Better Days' and 'Money'

VHscraps
08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
With age, my friends, nostalgia beckons as inevitably as the darkness at the end of every day ... as I was trawling the vast pit that is YouTube's repository of the great and the gauche I came upon the band known as Gun - an 80s band from Glasgow, Scotland (not the Gun who made 'Run With the Devil' some time earlier). I recall being somewhat fond of them in the late 1980s - especially their early singles, of which here are two corkers - 'Better Days' (I love the guiar solo - simple and unshowy, but it rips) and 'Money (Everybody Loves Her)', just a great tune.

Maybe some of the other dlrarmy Scots among you all might have heard of them (?), but I'd imagine they remain pretty much unknown to most. I once had a workmate back in Glasgow who claimed to have been their original drummer, but I always thought he was bullshitting me. Having said that, I'm not sure they ever did anything more than these tunes to merit being remembered. Others may have opinions.

'Better Days'

'Money (Eveybody Loves Her)'

Seshmeister
08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Maybe some of the other dlrarmy Scots among you all might have heard of them (?), but I'd imagine they remain pretty much unknown to most. I once had a workmate back in Glasgow who claimed to have been their original drummer, but I always thought he was bullshitting me.

It's not impossible, they went through a lot of line up changes.

I saw them a few months ago and they were good.

The bass player is now singing but impersonating the original and it works. They were/are bigger in mainland Europe in places like Italy rather than the UK. Don't think they ever did much in the US.

I'm still convinced they (probably accidentally) stole one of my bands songs back in the day as they were in the audience at a show we did while they were in the studio and then a song on their first album had the exact same chorus melody. It's the worst song on the album anyway and we had dropped it by the time it came out so more fool them. :)

binnie
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I seem to remember they had a minor hit in the UK with a cover of Cameo's 'Word Up'.

A decent hard rock band well worth your time: it seemed that the press always loved 'em but they never fullfilled their promise...

Seshmeister
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
They were just one of those bands that never got fashionable. Wrong place/look at the wrong time.

VHscraps
08-21-2011, 10:00 AM
It's not impossible, they went through a lot of line up changes.

I saw them a few months ago and they were good.

The bass player is now singing but impersonating the original and it works. They were/are bigger in mainland Europe in places like Italy rather than the UK. Don't think they ever did much in the US.

I'm still convinced they (probably accidentally) stole one of my bands songs back in the day as they were in the audience at a show we did while they were in the studio and then a song on their first album had the exact same chorus melody. It's the worst song on the album anyway and we had dropped it by the time it came out so more fool them. :)

What was your band called / where'd you play around Glasgow? Did you know Curlers Bar on Byres Rd? I remember they had bands on upstairs then - early 90s - for a couple of years, anyway. I think another bar - filthy place - that I used to go to evey week was Wintersgills on Gt. Western Rd. There was a bit of a blues revival then. I was a big fan of a local band called The Kingpins, who played there on Tuesdays, I think. I also always used to bump into this dude who looked just like Dee Dee Ramone. Same haircut, same clothes, etc.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I saw Gun open for the Rolling Stones in Paris, Parc des Princes, in June 1990.
I remember their stuff was quite solid.
But well... I was waiting for the Stones! :cool:

That's cool if they're still on the road today.

BTW, I saw "another" Scotch band in the end of July in Morzine - Status Quo...
Well the Quo still got it, I tell you!
Oldest band with the original members, I believe, aren't they?
Awesome gig!

Seshmeister
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Quo are a London band.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Quo are a London band.

Terribly sorry, Sesh... I have to apologize... to you and all Scottish members here,
not to say all Scotland...
I'm awfully embarrassed, all the more so as I really dig your country... :cool: