X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Jas Obrecht 1978 EVH Interviews

We've seen portions of this interview in years past, but I don't believe the entire interview has been posted before...

Well, now it has... From Jas Obrecht's website:

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • rocknrolldork
    Foot Soldier
    • Jun 2004

Thanks! Good read.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

More honest back then...

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

The JR High I went to actually had a subscription to Guitar Player. I remember reading those old interviews in the school library. I actually carved the VH logo into a desk top in those days.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Remember when I said that a few years ago it came out that Ed was cranking the Variac to INCREASE the voltage on his Marshalls? And that back in the day he was saying he was LOWERING the voltage because he did not want people to blow their amps up due to stuff he said?

And a bunch of you goobers told me that I was mistaken?

Read this....direct from spEd's mouth in 1978!:

There’s a thing called bias in an amp, and you crank it all the way up and it really makes the tubes hot. I use these other things, which are called voltage generators – like a Variac? It’s a big box with a knob on it that controls voltage. Plug your amp into it, and it goes all the way from zero volts to like 140. The amp’s only supposed to take 100 volts, but you crank the thing above that like to 130, 140 volts, and the tubes really glow. So ya gotta keep a fan on ’em. Those amps used to blow like every other gig, and you have to retube them every other day, but they crank! They sound like nothing else to me, because they’re so overdriven. They usually don’t work for more than ten hours of playing – maybe even less, because usually every other gig they blow out. They drop like flies, you know.

Comment

Working...