X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

When did Jerry Lewis kick the bucket?

I was flipping through what pitifully few TV channels I get, and I stumbled across the annual MDA telethon, and first thing I notice is no Jerry Lewis. No sign of him at all, they aren't even using the words "Jerry's Kids".

I know he was old and had some weird disease that put him on steroids and made him gain like 80 pounds or something, but I hadn't heard anything about him dying.

Maybe Rupert Murdoch took over the production, because the new hosts seem to be a bunch of blonde chicks. I think Sami Brady from Days of Our Lives is one of them, have no idea who the other ones are.

No Jerry on the telethon? Can this thing survive without him?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Not only that, but I believe the telethon only went for like 6 hours this year. They couldn't have raised much money in that small amount of time. I remember when I was a kid that it would come on Sunday evening, stay on all night and until 5 pm the next day.
    Last edited by Little Texan; 09-05-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comedians angry with Jerry Lewis' telethon end

(CBS News) A Labor Day ritual, The Muscular Dystrophy telethon goes on the air Sunday night.
      However, for the first time in 45-years, Jerry Lewis will be a no show.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association says the so-called king of comedy is no longer its national chairman and will not appear on this year's broadcast.

CBS News correspondent Hattie Kauffman reports that, over the last half-century, no one raised more money for children with MD than the comic legend.

Yet Sunday night's MDA telethon ushers in new, younger hosts. That the 85-year-old, who's inspired a generation of comedians, is being pushed aside has the country's funny men angry.

"After all these years, you're telling me there's no presence, Jerry lewis has no presence on his own (show)?" asked David Letterman on air recently.

"If this is the way we're going culturally, then we should go all the way and just tell grandpa we don't need him for thanksgiving," said comedian Larry Miller.

At the famed Laugh Factory in Los Angeles, comedians upset at Jerry's ouster are planning their own Labor Day fundraiser as a tribute to the legend.

"In my 42 years in show business, I've seen a great deal of injustice, this ranks right up to the top," said Tom Dressen, comedian.

Jerry Lewis shot to fame as the manic goof ball to Dean Martin's straight man. Going solo, he made a string of movies like "The Nutty Professor."

But the role of a lifetime was the telethon. Every Labor Day since 1966, Lewis both performed and pleaded for donations, during marathon twenty-one hour telecasts.

The MDA says Lewis brought in about $2.5 billion.

"He basically just put his entire personality on display. To be told just thanks, good bye, is the ultimate in humiliation," said comedian Harry Schearer.

Shearer says he would have crafted a different ending to this script.

"I think (I would have had) a sort of home run lap where everybody in show business said a valedictory thanks and farewell and Jerry got to bask in that one more time," Schearer said.

CBS News spoke with Jerry Lewis, but when asked to comment, he declined. And so we are left with last year's signature song..."You'll never walk alone."

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I can't believe they are still doing that stupid telethon. I remember watching it as a kid over labor day up at the family cabin when we only got two channels.

No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          I

I know he was old and had some weird disease that put him on steroids and made him gain like 80 pounds or something, but I hadn't heard anything about him dying.

Prednisone - Steroid

My mom was on that and she gained a lot of weight, especially the face. Mostly the face. Really weird shit. We would laugh at her drivers license picture cause I would say her face barely fit in the blue square. "HAHA - very funny .....asshole." But she would always mention how Jerry Lewis was on the same stuff & that is what made his face get all huge. When she went down on the dosage the swelling went right down with it, but the pain went up. So she didn't lower dosages for very long.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

No Jerry on the telethon? Can this thing survive without him?

News came on during George Noory Coast to Coast. Said it brought in $6 million this time. $2.6 mill more than last year. Odd. But perhaps a good sign for the economy? Let's hope.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Hey, fucking networks got Dick Clark to continue on with the New Year's Rocking Eve telecast despite the fact he has had a stroke and can barely speak!

FUCK THE MDA MOTHERFUCKERS!

HE HAS RAISED OVER 2.5 BILLION DOLLARS AND IS STILL OF SOUND MIND? AND CAN STILL DO IT? AND THEY FUCKING THROW HIM OUT LIKE YESTERDAY'S TRASH!?!?!?!?!?????

FUCK THOSE WORTHLESS GODDAMNABLE FUCKS! THEY SHOULD BE GLAD HE EVER FUCKING BOTHERED!

HE SHOULD BE THE FUCKING CHAIRMAN OF THE TELETHON UNTIL HE DIES! IF HE HAS A STROKE AND CANNOT MOVE, THEY SHOULD STILL WHEEL HIM OUT IN A HOSPITAL BED TO FART ON NATIONAL TV! WHEN HE IS DEAD THEY SHOULD MUMMIFY HIM AND HAUL HIS CORPSE OUT ON A STAND AS A REMINDER OF WHAT TRUE CHARITY IS ALL ABOUT!

I am fucking disgusted with those heartless cocksucking goddamn piece of shit worthless ass fuck windbag inconsiderate asshole fuckbag idiot shit-eating bastard motherfuckers!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

And Sadaist, you are wrong. They did not bring in $6 million dollars. They raised $61.5 million. You are off by about 56 and a half million dollars, lol.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                  And Sadaist, you are wrong. They did not bring in $6 million dollars. They raised $61.5 million. You are off by about 56 and a half million dollars, lol.

yeah, I saw that. I misheard the numbers. My hearing perception isn't so good at 4 am. But the point I was making was it pulled in more this year than it did last year WITH Jerry. And it was a shorter telethon.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

Confused me as well. JL did some good here. Tossed out with the turnips makes me pissed also.
                    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Funny thing is, I don't think I ever saw the total in flashing neon lights on the national telethon, so I don't know what their individual donors did. I seem to recall some big checks from the firefighters union, and those "evil Venezuelans" at Citgo Oil.

Maybe some people pledged to give them money if they would keep Billy Ray Cyrus from singing?
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Did Jerry's replacement cuss like Jerry and did Charo show up this year?
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Yeah it's bullshit. They had that fucking douche bag from you think yo can dance on as MC in one part. Fucking disgraceful. I gave 75 cents to a fireman at a stop light on Saturday. Lucky I gave them that. Jerry did a great job with this over many many years.

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Seems like I remember reading that since JL is now 89 and has officially stepped down as chairman, they decided to "go in a different direction" this year. Kinda lame, they could've at least let him do a cameo or given him an honorable mention after 45 years.
                            Originally posted by conmee
                            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                            Originally posted by eddie78
                            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
                              Seems like I remember reading that since JL is now 89 and has officially stepped down as chairman, they decided to "go in a different direction" this year. Kinda lame, they could've at least let him do a cameo or given him an honorable mention after 45 years.
                              Yeah no shit. Great cause although you would think that after all these years and all that money they would have made some kind of break through on the damn disease.

Comment

Working...