X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I found one of these crawling around in my garage last night

The aliens have landed. All I know is it made a huge crunch and lots of goo shot out when I smashed it with my foot.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

That's not an insect that's a house pet. nah, definately an alien.
    If you didn't squash him he would have gotten an account here eventually.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Found a milipede crawling around my house last night. Poor thing probably had to come indoors to get away from all the spiders camped out on my front porch. I don't mind the spiders as long as they stay outside, though I wish the little bastards would learn not to spin their webs across the doorway. All that happens is I get pissed off, and they have to rebuild it daily, so it's not helping either of us.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Sickest, grossest, nastiest, ugliest bug ever!.....EVER!

Potato bugs. When I was doing pool service with my brother we would find them during certain months in pools. Sometimes dead, sometimes alive. Of all the weird shit I would find in pools, these by far were the creepiest. No fucking way in hell would I hold one. They are the shit of nightmares. Plain old nasty.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

They do look like some sort of bizarre mad scientist experiment gone wrong. Like they somehow spliced frog DNA into ants and mated them with bees or something.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Sickest, grossest, nastiest, ugliest bug ever!.....EVER!

Potato bugs. When I was doing pool service with my brother we would find them during certain months in pools. Sometimes dead, sometimes alive. Of all the weird shit I would find in pools, these by far were the creepiest. No fucking way in hell would I hold one. They are the shit of nightmares. Plain old nasty.
            They have big ass pinchers. I wasn't about to pick it up.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

That is NASTY! I've never seen one of those before.

This is what I've always thought was a potato bug:

ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Found a milipede crawling around my house last night. Poor thing probably had to come indoors to get away from all the spiders camped out on my front porch. I don't mind the spiders as long as they stay outside, though I wish the little bastards would learn not to spin their webs across the doorway. All that happens is I get pissed off, and they have to rebuild it daily, so it's not helping either of us.
                When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it was the banana slugs. They were all around the house I rented. Stepping on one was the worst. The slime!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

We call those pills bugs.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                    That's not an insect that's a house pet. nah, definately an alien.
                    If you didn't squash him he would have gotten an account here eventually.
                    Actually it was posting as "Tob" for a while there...

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Yeah, I always called those things potato bugs. Though oddly enough, I never saw one anywhere near a potato. Usually they were under a rotting piece of wood or something like that.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Jerusalem crickets, also called "potato bugs" are a group of large, flightless insects of the genus Stenopelmatus. They are native to the western United States and parts of Mexico.

Despite their names, Jerusalem crickets are a distinct lineage within the Orthoptera, separate from crickets (eg Gryillidae), are not native to Jerusalem, and they do not prefer potatoes for food. Active usually at night, the insects use their strong mandibles to feed primarily on dead organic material but can also eat other insects.Their highly adapted feet are used for burrowing beneath moist soil to feed on decaying root plants and tubers.

As is true for other large arthropods (e.g. solfugids), there are a number of folk tales regarding Jerusalem crickets which are untrue; first and foremost, they are not venomous. However, they can emit a foul smell and are capable of inflicting a painful bite - but neither is lethal, as some of the tales would suggest.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          When I lived in the Pacific Northwest it was the banana slugs. They were all around the house I rented. Stepping on one was the worst. The slime!
                          Yeah the slugs are still around. Saw slime trails all over my front tire the other day. Never saw one inside the house though. Though I did find a snail attached to my back door a few weeks back.

Two ways to kill slugs - You can either be sadistic and pee on them (salt burns them to death) or get some cheap shit beer and pour it in a little dish, and let them drown happy.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It says here that banana slugs can grow to 10"?

That is disgusting...

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

or even bigger sometimes.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...