X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Occupy ROTH Army

Not sure why I never see this topic reported on in the news...

New York police accused of heavy-handed tactics as 80 anti-capitalist protesters on 'Occupy Wall Street' march are arrested

Police crack down on 'Occupy Wall Street' protests
    New York police accused of heavy-handed tactics as 80 anti-capitalist protesters on 'Occupy Wall Street' march are arrested

The Occupy Wall Street protests. Photograph: Tina Fineberg/AP
    The anti-capitalist protests that have become something of a fixture in Lower Manhattan over the past week or so have taken on a distinctly ugly turn.

Police have been accused of heavy-handed tactics after making 80 arrests on Saturday when protesters marched uptown from their makeshift camp in a private park in the financial district.

Footage has emerged on YouTube showing stocky police officers coralling a group of young female protesters and then spraying them with mace, despite being surrounded and apparently posing threats of only the verbal kind.

YouTube footage of protesters being pepper-sprayed
    NYPD officers strung orange netting across the streets to trap groups of protesters, a tactic described by some of them as "kettling" – a term more commonly used by critics of a similar tactic deployed by police in London to contain potentially violent demonstrations there.

The media here in New York has been accused of being slow off the mark to cover the demonstrations, which have been going on for more than a week.

Here are some links to our coverage over the past week.

• This is a gallery of photographs taken by John Stuttle last weekend.
    • Karen McVeigh visited the camp in Zuccotti Park on Monday
    • Later in the week, Paul Harris recorded video interviews with some of the protesters.

Now, however, the local media has paid more attention – almost certainly because Saturday's protest became disruptive, bringing chaos to the busy Union Square area and forcing the closure of streets.

The New York Times quoted one protester, Kelly Brannon, 27, of Ridgewood, Queens:

They put up orange nets and tried to kettle us and we started running and they started tackling random people and handcuffing them. They were herding us like cattle.

The scenes are showing signs of attracting high-profile criticism. Anne-Marie Slaughter, who was director of policy planning, at the State Department from 2009 to 2011, said on Twitter: "Not the image or reality the US wants, at home or abroad," linking to a picture of a police officer kneeling on a protester pinned to the ground.

Here's an extract from a Reuters report, which said the demonstrators were protesting against "bank bailouts, the mortgage crisis and the US state of Georgia's execution of Troy Davis".

At Manhattan's Union Square, police tried to corral the demonstrators using orange plastic netting. Some of the arrests were filmed and activists posted the videos online.

Police say the arrests were mostly for blocking traffic. Charges include disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. But one demonstrator was charged with assaulting a police officer. Police say the officer involved suffered a shoulder injury.

Protest spokesman Patrick Bruner criticized the police response as "exceedingly violent" and said the protesters sought to remain peaceful

And this is a fuller take from Associated Press.

The marchers carried signs spelling out their goals: "Tax the rich," one placard said. "We Want Money for Healthcare not Corporate Welfare," read another.

The demonstrators were mostly college-age people carrying American flags and signs with anti-corporate slogans. Some beat drums, blew horns and chanted slogans as uniformed officers surrounded and videotaped them.

"Occupy Wall Street," they chanted, "all day, all week."

Organizers fell short of that goal. With metal barricades and swarms of police officers in front of the New York Stock Exchange, the closest protesters could get was Liberty Street, about three blocks away.

The Vancouver-based activist media group Adbusters organized the weeklong event. Word spread via social media, yet the throngs of protesters some participants had hoped for failed to show up.

"I was kind of disappointed with the turnout," said Itamar Lilienthal, 19, a New York University student and marcher.

I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You think the corporate media is going to report on any attempt to call attention to Wall $treet criminals?

Now if it were a half dozen teabaggers waving signs that the Koch Brothers professionally printed for them, they would get 24/7 coverage.

It will be interesting to see how hard the media tries to deny what's coming in a couple weeks....... (stay tuned)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

I've seen sites where the people involved are saying that the egyptians were ignored until protestors surrounded the media buildings ... and they are printing maps where the big media studios are in NYC and planning to surround them. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, it will be a little difficult to ignore if it's outside their own studios. Especially for the news & talk shows that have a set on the ground floor with windows and a live audience outside as part of their regular broadcast. What are they gonna do, hang a bunch of big black curtains over the set and pretend they aren't there?
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• lesfunk
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Are the protesters "anti capitalist" as stated or simply anti crime?
          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

I listen....must be that I am not rich.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
              Are the protesters "anti capitalist" as stated or simply anti crime?
              My understanding is that it's some of both... started off by people being pissed that wall street people weren't being charged with things and the feeling the only way the government would punish those responsible would be by doing this. Then, the anti-capitalists joined in.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

They say if you can't help, you can have pizza delivered.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Here's another article

Wall Street protesters cuffed, pepper-sprayed during 'inequality' march

BY MATT DELUCA AND CHRISTINA BOYLE
                  DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Sunday, September 25th 2011, 4:00 AM

Jefferson Siegel for News
                  Women screamed in pain after police rounded them up and sprayed them with pepper spray.

Jefferson Siegel for News
                  Dozens of marchers from the Occupy Wall Street demonstration were arrested.
                  TAKE OUR POLL
                  Protesting Wall Street
                  Do you think the NYPD cracked down too hard on Wall Street protesters?

Yes, the police were excessive and violent.
                  No, the NYPD did what it had to do.

RELATED NEWS
                  Hurricane Irene hits NYC
                  New Manhattan ferry service crossing East River
                  7 stops for East River ferry service
                  No bull, city's best public sculpture gets some LOVE
                  Newtown Creek communities to have their say on green
                  'Creek Speak' spills secrets of Superfund site
                  Scores of protesters were arrested in Manhattan Saturday as a march against social inequality turned violent.

Hundreds of people carrying banners and chanting "shame, shame" walked between Zuccotti Park, near Wall St., and Union Square calling for changes to a financial system they say unjustly benefits the rich and harms the poor.

At least 80 people were carted away in police vehicles and up to five were hit with pepper spray near 12th St. and Fifth Ave., where tensions became especially high, police and organizers said.

The National Lawyer's Guild, which is providing legal assistance to the protesters, put the number of arrests at 100.

Witnesses said they saw three stunned women collapse on the ground screaming after they were sprayed in the face.

A video posted on YouTube and NYDailyNews.com shows uniformed officers had corralled the women using orange nets when two supervisors made a beeline for the women, and at least one suddenly sprayed the women before turning and quickly walking away.

Footage of other police altercations also circulated online, but it was unclear what caused the dramatic mood shift in an otherwise peaceful demonstration.

"I saw a girl get slammed on the ground. I turned around and started screaming," said Chelsea Elliott, 25, from Greenpoint, Brooklyn, who said she was sprayed. "I turned around and a cop was coming ... we were on the sidewalk and we weren't doing anything illegal."

Police said 80 protesters were arrested or ticketed at multiple locations for disorderly conduct, blocking traffic and failure to obey a lawful order but the number could rise.

Officials said protesters did not have a permit for the march and one demonstrator was charged with assaulting a police officer, causing a shoulder injury. The NYPD was investigating the use of pepper spray.

"I was shocked because it seemed like one person after another was being brutally tackled, and it wasn't clear why," said Meaghan Linick, 23, from Greenpoint, Brooklyn, who attended the rally. "I was deeply disturbed to see them throw a man [down] and immediately they were pounding on him. Their arms were going back in the air. I couldn't believe how violent five people needed to be against one unarmed man."

The protesters, joined together under the banner of an organization called Occupy Wall Street, have been stationed in Zuccotti Park since last weekend, attempting to draw attention to what they believe is a dysfunctional economic system that unfairly benefits corporations and the mega-rich.

"The central message is that in this country, there needs to be more conversation about wealth and power," said 23-year-old student Patrick Bruner.

As night fell, those detained were hauled out of vans and buses and into police precincts to be processed.

Hundreds more protesters congregated in Zuccotti Park where for a while another clash with police seemed imminent, but as midnight approached tension eased as die-hards prepared to camp out for the night.With Ashley N. Fleming,

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1Z1DIDTVG

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

It's kind of sad to have watch the protests in other areas of the world and thought "we wouldn't do that to our own", only to have it happen.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                      Not sure why I never see this topic reported on in the news...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...treet-protests
                      So much is not being reported in the news. It's all about protecting the banking elite and their political cronies now. The news also fails to mention Ron Paul is neck and neck with Romney and Perry in the polls. I guess you have to be a Federal Reserve lap dog to get any coverage during your campaign these days.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                        It's kind of sad to have watch the protests in other areas of the world and thought "we wouldn't do that to our own", only to have it happen.
                        It's a good thing. For years I have been watching corporations and the government screw the American people raw and wonder why aren't they pissed? Unless people get angry there is not motivation to change things for the better. The politicians should have just let the banks fail. They created a worse situation with the bailouts. We would be in the early stages of a recovery if we just would have let the dead wood rot. So much for green chutes and shovel ready jobs. The moral of the story is when a politician tells you they are going to take care of you they mean they are just going to take care of themselves.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Dr. Love
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

A guy named Tony Bologna should never have been allowed to be a cop, unless he had a complete psychological work up first. Because you KNOW that guy got his ass kicked every day of his life in high school. And now he's spraying women in the face with pepper juice to deal with his own "issues".

Fucking coward.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• conmee
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

I think I see Kevin Garnett there up front in that last photo...

That is all.

Icon©®™
                              An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

Working...