X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patt5150
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jun 2004

Van Halen Archive Video Footage Documentation

I stumbled upon these documents the other day and found them to be quite interesting. It appears there is indeed a plethora of unreleased VH footage out there just collecting dust. Gimme! Gimme!

I got really excited about the Oakland '81 document, until I realized it was pertaining to the audio of the show, not the video. But even still, a professionally recorded Fair Warning show would still be the bomb! Also, there is apparently 28 minutes of VH's WACF photo shoot with Norman Seeff (see "Telecine - Page 1" document). The kicker though is the "VHS Source Material 1981-84" document, which states there is professional footage of VH at the Cap Center (Largo) from 03/25/84 (not to be confused with the pro shot '82 Largo show, which is also mentioned in these documents). There is tons of footage simply labeled "VH Home Movies" and "The VH Chronicles", one can only guess what those tapes contain!
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

All I have to say is OPEN THE GODDAMN VAULTS !!!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• patt5150
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jun 2004

1984 Shows

After further reading it appears they filmed both 1984 shows at the Cap Center (Largo), see document "3/4" Duplication From VHS Source Material" document. I know the Cap Center had their own in-house film crew for shows and the footage would be shown on the center scoreboard during a band's performance. This might be the raw feed footage from that? Either way, it would be AMAZING to see!!

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Zahzoo published this material 5 or 6 years ago, but the problem then (as now) being there is little in the way of verification out there. The VHND did a feature on the invoices a couple of years ago (The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage), which featured some contradicting interviews with Mike Anthony's bass tech Kevin Dugan and David Lee Roth himself, leading to more speculation yet again, no solid evidence. It truly is maddening to think this footage exists, and is rotting in a closet or under Edward Van Halen's bed somewhere.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by patt5150
          After further reading it appears they filmed both 1984 shows at the Cap Center (Largo), see document "3/4" Duplication From VHS Source Material" document. I know the Cap Center had their own in-house film crew for shows and the footage would be shown on the center scoreboard during a band's performance. This might be the raw feed footage from that? Either way, it would be AMAZING to see!!
          If it's anything like Largo 82 it's just fine... What's it going to take to get this shit out??
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Convince Ed and Al that yes, YOU GUYS CAN MAKE MONEY BY RELEASING THIS STUFF.

Dumbasses.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As clueless as Eddie can be, surely he's not completely oblivious to what the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, The Grateful Dead, and (a few years further back) Bob Dylan & The Beatles have done with their archives, both video and audio in most cases. The obvious smart move would have been for them to start releasing some stuff from the vault immediately after the 2007/08 tour and keep the public interest in Van Halen while they take their damn sweet time recording a new record.

The Beatles broke up 41 years ago. Zeppelin, 31 years ago. Jerry Garcia's been dead (and not gratefully so) for 15 years now. And yet all these guys manage to put something out every few years for their fans. Hell, Nirvana just remastered "Nevermind" in about 3 different "deluxe" formats. Hendrix is still putting out "new" albums, which is truly amazing for a guy whose recording career was only 3 1/2 years in the first place.

Eddie, a bunch of DEAD guys are kicking your ass. Doesn't that bother you?
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

From all the research there's no way to know if this stuff is still in the vaults or not. Mike was asked about it a few years ago and he seemed totally unaware of it's existence.

Odds are real good the band had no clue stuff was being archived... odds are good whoever was managing them had the stuff taken care of. The band just kept partying on...

Pacific Archives wouldn't verify or deny any of this stuff is in their possession... but that's policy. It would be real interesting though to know if this stuff is still preserved and archived.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  It would be real interesting though to know if this stuff is still preserved and archived.
                  And that's the key point. Maybe they have it, maybe they don't.... But after 30 years, it might not be in good condition even if it's there.... The hope would be that an Archival company would keep the footage in a controlled environment....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

I really hope Eddie is not retarded enough to keep those 8mm film reels in his closet where moisture (and cigarette smoke) can degrade them significantly.

Please tell me he strung together a few brain cells back in the 80's and had them sent to an underground storage facility that specializes in long-term archiving of film and photographs.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

What surprises me is that after all these years, no one has communicated with them in a language they can understand....

"Y'know Ed...if you release some of these shows, you can cut out all the middlemen and have your very own factory to manufacture the gear and tennis shoes you love whoring so much"

"And Al, think of all the shitty real estate investments and failed marriages you could afford. Releasing the Oakland show alone would keep you in neckbraces for the rest of your life! Even your grandchildren wouldn't have to wear the same neckbrace twice!!"

Musical geniuses? Yes, but without a guitar or a pair of sticks in their hands, it's becoming disturbingly apparent that these two are a pair of chimpanzees without a clue....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

It all comes down to the point that they don't KNOW what their fans clamor for because they're so out of touch, due to their seemingly anti-Internet interaction and publicity with their fanbase....

Which pisses me the fuck off.....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• mohican
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2011

Dave has said the brothers have tons of stuff in the vault that they owe it to their fans to show them. This statement was from a UK classic rock mag interview that I read from this site. I'm convinced they have Oakland and so much more. Did Dave sign away ownership rights when he left the band? Sad to hear him wanting to do something about the CVH legacy and for the fans but can't.

Comment

• patt5150
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mohican
                            Dave has said the brothers have tons of stuff in the vault that they owe it to their fans to show them. This statement was from a UK classic rock mag interview that I read from this site. I'm convinced they have Oakland and so much more. Did Dave sign away ownership rights when he left the band? Sad to hear him wanting to do something about the CVH legacy and for the fans but can't.
                            Hopefully with Dave back in the band we might get to see some of this archive footage! The one thing that might make it never see the light of day is they would have to pay Mikey royalties, which I'm sure the brothers would have a problem with. Do it for the fans guys, remember you guys are all brothers and don't let the all mighty dollar and your stupid pride get in the way of appeasing the most loyal fans in the world! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!

Comment

• mohican
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by patt5150
                              Hopefully with Dave back in the band we might get to see some of this archive footage! The one thing that might make it never see the light of day is they would have to pay Mikey royalties, which I'm sure the brothers would have a problem with. Do it for the fans guys, remember you guys are all brothers and don't let the all mighty dollar and your stupid pride get in the way of appeasing the most loyal fans in the world! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!
                              I think Mike signed away all his rights in order to take part in the '04 tour. I'm also hoping with Dave back and with a successful new album and tour, evh will see the light.

Comment

Working...