PDA

View Full Version : My 11 year old too young?

mh5150
10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
My son has turned in to a CVH fan. I was 14when i first saw =VH= in 82'. he wants to go see them next year when they come around. I am gonna take him but just curious on what you all think on this matter.

:flame:

mohican
10-18-2011, 08:47 PM
:clap: He will have fond memories as an adult of seeing the best American rock band (minus 1 guy) and of his cool dad for taking him when he was 11 while his friends saw Bieber and Gaga, who no one will know or remember 30 years from now.

mh5150
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
:clap: He will have fond memories as an adult of seeing the best American rock band (minus 1 guy) and of his cool dad for taking him when he was 11 while his friends saw Bieber and Gaga, who no one will know or remember 30 years from now.

I let him listen to what ever he wants . But when we get in truck he ALWAYS puts on CVH . He hates the music out now . So i must have done something right.

Seshmeister
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Sadly arena shows are dead corporate family friendly places these days anyway.

It does annoy me though when you get parents tutting at rock bands swearing in front of their kids.

You better start some sort of trust fund now though if you are going to have to pay Van Halen prices for his ticket. :)

Sensible Shoes
10-19-2011, 03:35 PM
If your son has been listening to CVH he's heard just about as much profanity and suggestive talk as he would hear at a concert. Take him.

mohican
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
This album and tour will be historic. Who knows if they'll tour again. It's like seeing Led Zep on their last tour. Your son will regret it if you don't take him.

Someone posted the entire Largo show on YouTube. If VH would put any of the CVH concerts out on DVD, they can draw a lot of young fans. I'm sure Wolfie knows that.

mh5150
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
This album and tour will be historic. Who knows if they'll tour again. It's like seeing Led Zep on their last tour. Your son will regret it if you don't take him.

Someone posted the entire Largo show on YouTube. If VH would put any of the CVH concerts out on DVD, they can draw a lot of young fans. I'm sure Wolfie knows that.

I have the Largo show on dvd and i was also there in person. We watch it all the time

Seshmeister
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM
If your son has been listening to CVH he's heard just about as much profanity and suggestive talk as he would hear at a concert. Take him.

Only if it's been bootlegs surely?

I can only think of one rude word on a VH album and that's in Sinners Swing.

Sensible Shoes
10-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Also the end of "Everybody wants some". YOu're right, there isn't much profanity but there sure is a whole bunch of suggestive content.

Seshmeister
10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Ah yes I forgot about that one.

Simpler times.

Until I heard Axl Rose say it on 'Use Your Illusion' when it came out I didn't know Americans used the word 'cunt'. I thought it was probably like wanker and just a rude word that we only used in the UK because in all the hundreds of American films and records I had never heard it said and of course this was pre world wide web.

Seshmeister
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Just checked and it was used in Taxi Driver and the Exorcist before then. I think I had maybe had seen Taxi Driver at that point but I guess I must have missed it. :)

VAiN
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Until I heard Axl Rose say it on 'Use Your Illusion' when it came out I didn't know Americans used the word 'cunt'.

Oh man, a great word! It's effective when used to describe a particularly douche dude. I don't, however, recommend ever using it on a chick unless it's the last time you want to see her.

FORD
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I was 11 when Van HALEN's first album was released. Didn't go to a concert until 1982, but that was more lack of transportation than anything else. Be thankful that your kid has decent musical tastes (my parents sure as Hell weren't!)

mohican
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I have the Largo show on dvd and i was also there in person. We watch it all the time

I see you're in MD. Dave said "Washington" during the entire show. It was pretty funny. Man, you're lucky to be there to live it and breath it.

Nitro Express
10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I went to my first concert around age 12. The Doobie Brothers. I also saw Foreigner and Lover Boy the same year. Other than some pot being passed around and some drunk people, nothing really bad going on. I saw worse at school and growing up in a ski resort town full of all manner of debauchery over the New Years holiday. I saw worse stuff going on around the heated pools and hot tubs than I did at any concert. Like some dude fucking some chick and yelling hey kids when you grow up you can do this! He was just grinding her at the edge of the hot tub. I never saw that at a concert.

Seshmeister
10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Well I hope you had your man scold him and then got straight back on the stagecoach. :)

mohican
10-19-2011, 11:52 PM
My step-dad told me Monsters of Rock at Candlestick Park in '88 was the craziest concert. Everyone in the audience was snorting coke. It was unreal. He was coked up too. I asked him how was vh. He said he wasn't impressed and they weren't memorable. Yeh, it was hagar he saw.

FORD
10-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Monsters of Rock was a decent show. Except for the Van Hagar part.:puke:

Wasn't on coke though... just very baked. http://lazyjsmokeshop.com/images/cartman_with_bong.gif

TJMKID
10-20-2011, 01:51 AM
My son has turned in to a CVH fan. I was 14when i first saw =VH= in 82'. he wants to go see them next year when they come around. I am gonna take him but just curious on what you all think on this matter.

Just imagine when you were 11 and your Dad asked if you wanted to go see a little ole band named Led Zeppelin --- would you have gone ??

I think you know the answer ---- take the kid to see the Mighty VH and you'll share the memories for a lifetime.

:first:

Nitro Express
10-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Just imagine when you were 11 and your Dad asked if you wanted to go see a little ole band named Led Zeppelin --- would you have gone ??

I think you know the answer ---- take the kid to see the Mighty VH and you'll share the memories for a lifetime.

:first:

My dad hated rock and roll. Of course he was a busy person gone all the time. So I used his nice stereo system to crank out my rock and roll albums. :biggrin: My dad did take me to concerts. They were at symphony hall with a conductor leading the orchestra.

Nitro Express
10-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Well I hope you had your man scold him and then got straight back on the stagecoach. :)

Oh I can get on a real nice stagecoach. I know the family that owns this very coach. I can drive a team too.

TJMKID
10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
My dad did take me to concerts. They were at symphony hall with a conductor leading the orchestra.

That's considered statutory child abuse in many states.

Then again, there was a guy named Jan Van Halen who forced his sons to learn classical piano and we know how that turned out.

:drum:

Seshmeister
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
They turned into bitter alcoholics.

Nitro Express
10-20-2011, 11:45 AM
That's considered statutory child abuse in many states.

Then again, there was a guy named Jan Van Halen who forced his sons to learn classical piano and we know how that turned out.

:drum:
I was forced to take piano for two years with a mandatory practice session for an hour a day. All us kids had to do it. Then the recitals. It really sucked.

I tell you what. I have a friend who is a professional sound engineer. He graduated from college in music so he writes songs. He wants to record some of his songs and he's pulling his hair out trying to find a drummer that can play in time. He said none of these mother fuckers even know what a metronome is. As soon as the drummers go to shit because they had no formal music training the rest of the band is fucked.

Real musicians pretty much starve. Entertainers make the money. I don't care how good you are if you can't sprinkle some glitter on it and sell it, nobody is going to notice other than the other musicians. The public is too dumb to care. The Van Halens would have gone nowhere without Roth. They maybe would have ended up in someone else' band but I doubt the two drunks had enough fire to get themselves noticed. They did need a Jew to sell the operation. Damn up straight.

DONNIEP
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Take your son - he'll have a blast! Matter of fact, check out the look on the kid's face at 5:29 and that's all you need to see. :rockit2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGOr3JjBub8

Damn youtube - won't let me embed the video.

TJMKID
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Real musicians pretty much starve. Entertainers make the money. I don't care how good you are if you can't sprinkle some glitter on it and sell it, nobody is going to notice other than the other musicians. The public is too dumb to care. The Van Halens would have gone nowhere without Roth. They maybe would have ended up in someone else' band but I doubt the two drunks had enough fire to get themselves noticed. They did need a Jew to sell the operation. Damn up straight.

Don't tell the Hagar sheep that. Their whole world revolves around Sammy's pipes. They're convinced that if Clay Aiken joined Van Halen in 1975, they would've sold 200 million albums by now.

Plus, we still have two Dutch retards who think they only hired Roth because he had his own sound equipment.

Hardrock69
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Take your son. I surely wish my Dad would have been so cool as to take me to a rock concert. But I was already 18 and in the Army when I (and everyone else) first saw CVH.

Dave is not nearly as crude now as he was back in the day. Your son has probably heard way worse from his friends, or on TV, lol.

He will thank you for the rest of his life.

Will it be his very first concert? What a first concert to see!

sonrisa salvaje
10-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Take him for sure. My first show was around that age and it was Waylon Jennings in the capitol of Bama. Waylon was drunk out of his mind and so was the crowd. I didn't know what the hell my folks had gotten me in to. Based on the 07 tour and crowd, the show will rock and the crowd will pretty tame as opposed to 1980.
I'll add that if this were 1986 i would not recommend taking an 11 year old to see the Eatem and Smile show. Based on my experience and what memory i have left of it, those were some WILD ones.

Nitro Express
10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
The most filthy show I ever saw was Prince in the 1999 days. Tender young eyes shouldn't have been at that one but man what a show!

jhale667
10-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I still give my mom shit to this day about not letting me go see VH as a kid, first because "you're not going to any concert by a band named Black Sabbath" and then AGAIN on the WACF and FW tours because by that time someone had told her that rock bands were about "partying and drugs" (and what?)...my 'nads had dropped by '84 and I said "EVH is why I started playing guitar, I paid for the ticket - I'm GOING whether you like it or not". So glad I did or I NEVER would have seen CVH...

...My point being - DON'T BE THAT PARENT - take your kid to the gig, so what if he sees a boob, or gets his first contact high? He'll have memories that will last him a lifetime...my mother actually says (based on my now 30-year devotion to EVH and DLR) she SHOULD have let me go in hindsight. :cool:

(Still baffled about the FW show, because that was AFTER she'd let me go to see Ozzy with Randy...like VH was more "damaging" than OZZY in those days???)

:guitar:

mh5150
10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I see you're in MD. Dave said "Washington" during the entire show. It was pretty funny. Man, you're lucky to be there to live it and breath it.

Every time we would see a show at the Capital Centre they would always say Baltimore-Washington. The Cap. Centre was in LARGO MD.

mh5150
10-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks to everyone for their opinions . I already had in my mind that we are going. Just waiting for them to come around . I am so Lucky to have the coolest 11 year old. CANT WAIT
Thanks

ZahZoo
10-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Buy some ear plugs, take the kid.

Before you go remind him he'll see a lot of fat, middle-aged people acting strangely and wearing clothes 3 sizes too small. If you're lucky you'll be sitting next to some cool grey headed guy in a 28 year old tour shirt who drug his 10 & 13 year old kids along too.

Top Gymmy
10-22-2011, 12:52 PM
My son will be 11 next year and has been playing guitar for a year and a half. He digs CVH and we recently played Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love at an open mic (with me on drums and lead vocals). He's now learning Panama. I'll be bringing him to see VH in concert next year.

Sensible Shoes
10-22-2011, 04:40 PM
That is very cool.

Blaze
10-22-2011, 08:47 PM
If he must partake of a music show , you could relent and allow him to attend, observing from a safe distance the modern-day Barry Manilow chaperoned by his therapist. :lmao:

DLR7884
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat....my kid is 2 1/2 and I'm tempted to shove cotton in his ears and bring him! Just kidding.

Honestly, 11 is NOT too young...my first concert was ZZ Top on the Recycler Tour in 1991, I had just turned 12 and had a great time with my dad.

DLR7884
Go for it, he will appreciate the experience!

Seshmeister
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I worry, probably wrongly, about trying to influence the music taste of my kids.

My gut instinct is probably out of date but should they not be into their own thing? There seems to be something a bit wrong to me about liking the same music as your parents.

DLR7884
10-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I worry, probably wrongly, about trying to influence the music taste of my kids.

My gut instinct is probably out of date but should they not be into their own thing? There seems to be something a bit wrong to me about liking the same music as your parents.

So you'd rather have your kid listen to Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga?

DLR7884
Not me, no FUCKING way.

Seshmeister
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
That's kind of like 'which of your daughter's boyfriends would you prefer fucked you'.

I don't really see it as something I should be involved in. It's not my role or business.

Anyone I knew when I was a kid who liked their parents music was an absolute sheepish idiot hole.

hambon4lif
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Most kids arrive at their preference through direct rebellion against what their parents liked.

I rebelled against every-fucking-thing else in the world, but I thought my folks had decent taste in music.

I grew up in a house where Humble Pie, Grand Funk, and Bad Company were played at window-rattling volume every night.
Most kids aren't that lucky.....

DONNIEP
10-27-2011, 10:58 PM

My daughter is 11 and has been hearing VH since she was born. But it's just not what she's into. That's ok. She does love Dave's Yankee Rose video though - and who wouldn't? She has her music and even though it's shit I can appreciate that she likes it and I don't try to influence her at all. Although I just can't understand why Steely Dan doesn't have the same appeal to her it did to me when I first heard it back when I was 7...

Hardrock69
10-28-2011, 06:12 AM
So you'd rather have your kid listen to Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga?

DLR7884
Not me, no FUCKING way.

:lmao:

Starwood
10-28-2011, 07:44 AM
He ain't too young for Starwood.

Seshmeister
10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Most kids arrive at their preference through direct rebellion against what their parents liked.

I'm not playing Hagar in the house just to get them to like good music.

No way, I do enough for the little fuckers. That's too big a sacrifice.

Hardrock69
11-02-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm not playing Hagar in the house just to get them to like good music.

No way, I do enough for the little fuckers. That's too big a sacrifice.
:lmao: