PDA

View Full Version : VH Documentary In The Works?

WowFace
10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I haven't posted here in a lot of years, but I just heard a very interesting rumor and had to pass it on. Please take it with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, as it's third-hand info. Basically, a professional acquaintance of mine told me this bit that he heard from a music-industry friend, so who knows if there's any truth to it.

Anyway, the info is that the people behind the recent RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE documentary are readying a similar project for VH to promote the new album and tour next year, kind of like the same thing that both Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam have recently done.

How cool would that be?

jhale667
10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Would be pretty awesome if for real...

chefcraig
10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Wonder if Eddie and Alex Van Halen's egos could handle a "warts and all" type of approach at this point. Let's face it, for about the past twenty six years or so, Van Halen "honesty" has been uncomfortably close to masochism.

hambon4lif
10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Who the fuck wants to relive all that dysfunction and drama?

I just wanna hear some goddamn music!!

jhale667
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Who the fuck wants to relive all that dysfunction and drama?

I just wanna hear some goddamn music!!

Might be eye-opening for more than just the fans...

mohican
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh heck, it'll be entertaining. Just to hear Dave, AVH, EVH talk about the early years is worth watching. It'll be a CVH docu, skipping the Sam/Gary years. What to do with Mike? I can't see the guys agreeing to let him in on the project but to ignore him is like ignoring an 800-pound elephant in the room.

WowFace
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Wonder if Eddie and Alex Van Halen's egos could handle a "warts and all" type of approach at this point. Let's face it, for about the past twenty six years or so, Van Halen "honesty" has been uncomfortably close to masochism.

True enough, but if Eddie has truly gotten sober, it might be that he has reassessed his relationship to the truth. Anyone can tell you that a truly successful rehab involves getting totally real with oneself. Might also explain how he and Dave were finally able to make things work onstage and in the studio. He has seemed a somewhat more philosophical in most interviews since the tour.

hambon4lif
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Might be eye-opening for more than just the fans...Yeah, you may be right. It could be enlightening for kids thinking of putting together a band.

Everything post-84 is basically a blueprint/instruction manual on what not to do.

VAiN
10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Man... awesome first post. I'd love it to be true only because I'd like to see VH on TV, but I doubt there would be anything that we don't know or haven't seen unless the vaults are opened and all of that pro-shot footage is liberated...

Halen High
10-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Hope this is true. It would be fascinating to see behind the scenes footage, interviews etc about the making of this album, rather than a CVH doco - although that also would be cool. They could release it on a DVD featuring every Classic Van Halen video plus 3 or 4 videos from the new album. If Eddie is in a good place these days, he could go for it.

DLR Bridge
10-21-2011, 08:21 PM
If I had a dollar every time the word "rumor" appeared in the same sentence as "Van Halen", I'd have both of my girls sweet 16's, weddings and college educations paid for with money to spare for yellow and black striped flip flops. Sorry for the buzz kill.

mohican
10-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Hope this is true. It would be fascinating to see behind the scenes footage, interviews etc about the making of this album, rather than a CVH doco - although that also would be cool. They could release it on a DVD featuring every Classic Van Halen video plus 3 or 4 videos from the new album. If Eddie is in a good place these days, he could go for it.

True, a docu on the making of this album would be great and is more likely to happen than a CVH docu where nobody wants to talk about the baggage of the past. It'll be pretty awesome to see Dave, Ed and Al talking to each other about the music etc. Ed is doing this album for his son, I think, so who knows, he might want to put something on film in addition to the CD.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-21-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm just wondering when we'll now get posts from his other two aliases....

SunisinuS
10-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Conan Obrien Can't Stop was fair and balanced.

Lol most of the die-hard fans already know the story.....I do not mind that my friends have feet of clay. Would be fun to see them still hanging in...just like Rush. Even though Eddie was off riding a skateboard in Manitoba for two years. :)

:behindsofa:

Halen High
10-21-2011, 11:30 PM
If I had a dollar every time the word "rumor" appeared in the same sentence as "Van Halen", I'd have both of my girls sweet 16's, weddings and college educations paid for with money to spare for yellow and black striped flip flops. Sorry for the buzz kill.

You're right mate. It's a nice rumour but yeah - not likely.

Halen High
10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
True, a docu on the making of this album would be great and is more likely to happen than a CVH docu where nobody wants to talk about the baggage of the past. It'll be pretty awesome to see Dave, Ed and Al talking to each other about the music etc. Ed is doing this album for his son, I think, so who knows, he might want to put something on film in addition to the CD.

Well Eddie did participate with the recently released Zloz book so that's encouraging. And I would love to hear these guys talk about putting this album together. I agree, Eddie's main motivation for this album is Wolf.

slimdon
10-22-2011, 02:51 AM
That would be a great film.

ZahZoo
10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
What to do with Mike? I can't see the guys agreeing to let him in on the project but to ignore him is like ignoring an 800-pound elephant in the room.

That right there is one of the primary reasons this type of thing won't work and won't see the light of day...

This is bullshit... 30+ years the Dutch Pricks have been deathly afraid to look back, let alone inward and share an ounce with the fans.

TJMKID
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Anyway, the info is that the people behind the recent RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE documentary are readying a similar project for VH to promote the new album and tour next year, kind of like the same thing that both Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam have recently done.

Interesting idea ---- but probably will never happen. Eddie and Alex are very boring without a guitar and drum kit nearby. Where's the entertainment value in seeing Ed puffing his way through 3 packs of smokes while telling us what a great bassist Wolfie is ?? If 95% of the documentary was about Dave's daily life ---- now that would be entertaining.

If they just released the entire Oakland '81 show on DVD, they would appease the VH fanbase for eons. :baby:

Va Beach VH Fan
10-22-2011, 11:44 AM
That right there is one of the primary reasons this type of thing won't work and won't see the light of day...

This is bullshit... 30+ years the Dutch Pricks have been deathly afraid to look back, let alone inward and share an ounce with the fans.

This.

Just like everything else pertaining to Van Halen and it's fans, it's yet another kick in the nuts....

So unfortunate, 'cause done right it would be fantastic, not just for us lunatics but for the music world as well.....

Terry
10-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Would a proper, 'warts and all' documentary with all the band members participating be pretty cool?
Yep.
I'd wanna see it.
These days, the name Van Halen is something I associate more with the phrase 'dropping the ball' than anything else concerning possibilities vs. output.
Back in the day when Roth was in the band, Van Halen just couldn't miss. A 6 year run of knocking it out of the park.
Now, it's been so long since the group has approached the level of getting their shit together...I mean, let's be honest: it took them over a decade to reunite with Roth after the '96 fiasco, and even that was something that the band barely pulled off (Alex and Dave were spot-on, but the remainder was skakey).
It's been nearly 5 full years since Roth was brought back into the fold. In the absence of new material, there could and should have been tons of fucking classic shit released. One can argue that there are various copyright/ownership/contractual issues to sort through, but from all I've read and seen I think it boils down to Eddie just being fucked in the head.
A 'warts and all' documentary? Yep. I'd love to see it. Hard to imagine it happening seeing as the Van Halens live in a bubble where reality seldom intrudes.

DONNIEP
10-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Oh, fuck it. I'll say it - no, it wouldn't be what I want it to be. They have a kid playing in the fucking band. It's never going to be Van Halen again. And even though I'd buy it to watch it, it wouldn't be what I wish it would be - four guys looking to take back their place as The Mighty Van Halen! It might sound like classic Van Halen in the end, but unless there's a whole lot of footage of Dave, Al and Ed working together I don't really care. And just so I totally alienate myself - I HATE the fact that Wolfie is in the band. Fuck him. Yes, I would have jumped at the opportunity to be in Van Halen too. But they should have either brought Mikey back or hired another bass player with some years on him, someone looking for and hungry for the opportunity to take this band over the top and to take back their place as one of the greatest bands of all time. Amen, Fuck Me.

VHscraps
10-23-2011, 04:34 PM
One factor that might give this rumour some credibility is just a more general music biz trend towards packaging new CDs with DVD documentaries just to try and get sales going. It's pretty common with re-releases as well - the Stones Exile reissue came packaged with the documentary film about the album's making, and my guess is that this helped it to ascend to the number one spot here in the UK album chart. Others have done it, too (the new U2 Achtung Baby reissues - multiple versions).

If VH are going for an actual album release via a proper label, as opposed to some supermarket deal (god help us, no - it's too naff), then bundling the new album with a film makes sense. I could see a record company like Columbia thinking this, because, it is unusual for a band of this stature not to have done a film yet.

I agree with others, though, that any documentary done from the perspective of today would be either (a) unlikely to happen, or (b) try to rewrite history and airbrush Mike Anthony out.

Now, I always thought the main driving forces of this band were Dave and Ed, and musically, it was. But, at the end of the day, it was also those FOUR guys that made it through the bars, the backyards, the high school gyms, etc. They don't need to like Mike, just recognise that he lived through it too.

What they can do that might avoid the difficulties of that, though - and I've said it on here before - is forget about having talking heads from the here and now interjecting and narrating it, just take inspiration from the greatest and funniest rock documentary ever - The Who's The Kids Are Alright. It's a film made entirely from archive footage - there's plenty of the VH stuff out there to serve as the basis for this - all they need to do is entrust the project to a decent film-maker.

By the way, one thing that convinces me that Mike partook of the spirit of VH as much as anyone was that clip of them in Amsterdam, sailing down the canals - anybody seen it? Dave is interviewing the band members, and they are fooling around. The brothers answer in Dutch, and Dave asks Mike: 'Michael, how do you like Amsterdam?' And he replies, 'oh, I love it. In fact, if you look right over there [points at the quayside], I'm thinking of building a beach right there.'

I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

hambon4lif
10-23-2011, 05:05 PM
By the way, one thing that convinces me that Mike partook of the spirit of VH as much as anyone was that clip of them in Amsterdam, sailing down the canals - anybody seen it? Dave is interviewing the band members, and they are fooling around. The brothers answer in Dutch, and Dave asks Mike: 'Michael, how do you like Amsterdam?' And he replies, 'oh, I love it. In fact, if you look right over there [points at the quayside], I'm thinking of building a beach right there.'

I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.:thumb:

hambon4lif
10-23-2011, 05:09 PM

VHscraps
10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks, man. Cool! I had forgotten the repeated appearance of the roll mops in those clips - I love the way Dave holds the delicacy between his thumb and forefinger like it was a dead fish . . . Which it is. Pickled, or something. And Mike's plan for 'Little Malibu' - who could blame him; after a few beers, which he looked like he was enjoying there, what better than to kick back on the beach.

Hardrock69
10-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Well, we have only been demanding a VH historical DVD set for, oh, years and years now.

If there were any production company to do the VH set, it MUST be our friends from Canada. These were the same guys who went out and documented the Iron Maiden Somewhere Back In Time Tour with the Flight 666 DVD.

They just need permission. Ed needs to get comfy with the idea of looking back on his career. Demands are only going to increase, due to the glaring absence of such a thing....

fryingdutchman
11-01-2011, 06:32 AM
What to do with Mike? I can't see the guys agreeing to let him in on the project but to ignore him is like ignoring an 800-pound elephant in the room.

I don't see it being an issue. Mike's a free agent at this point. He hasn't been under Eddie and Alex's thumb since 2004, so if some independent documentary filmmakers want to interview him, the choice is up to Mike.

The brothers cut him out and then cut him loose, so he's free to speak his mind. It will most certainly not be in the same room as the rest of the so-called "band", but who cares? If they want to set up a camera in Mike's living room and let him vent, then the brothers can't stop him.

Unless Mike signed some dumbass gag order as part of his "exit package" from the band, he can do as he pleases.

Seshmeister
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a 1+1=3 story, I think we can safely assume this isn't happening.

The people behind the Rush movie are currently working on a TV series called Metal Evolution which will include Van Halen which has probably caused the rumor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1978940/synopsis

"Metal Evolution" (2011)

Synopsis

Metal Evolution presents 11 episodes based on the ground-breaking Heavy Metal Family Tree. This 26 sub-genre genealogical chart reveals the vast complex progeny of heavy metal from Early Metal and Shock Rock to Thrash, from Progressive Metal to Grunge and Nu Metal. Using the Chart as his road map, host/producer and metalhead turned anthropologist Sam Dunn, crisscrossed the globe exploring the vast history of heavy metal across its 40+ year history and beyond. From bars and back alleys to the biggest open air festivals, Sam will visit the pioneers of British and American hard rock who laid metals sonic foundation, as well as the current leaders of contemporary metal. Whether you love metal, documentaries or just great stories, Metal Evolution is the ultimate examination into the history of Heavy Metal music.

Drawing on the expertise of a whole team of musicians, journalists, academics, and producers, Sam will explore the questions heavy metal fans have always wanted to ask. A highlight of the series will be Sams in-depth discussions with many of heavy metals most important and influential personalities. From Alice Cooper to Slash, Lemmy to Rob Zombie and members of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Slayer, Van Halen, Def Leppard, The Stooges, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, Poison, Rage Against The Machine, Alice In Chains, Korn, and many more, Sam will investigate the history, myths and intricacies of Metal.

I don't think I would want to look into the dark hearts of the Van Halens anyway. It would be like that Metallica film all over again, just confirming people you think are probably pricks as being even worse than you thought.

Seshmeister
11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
What they can do that might avoid the difficulties of that, though - and I've said it on here before - is forget about having talking heads from the here and now interjecting and narrating it, just take inspiration from the greatest and funniest rock documentary ever - The Who's The Kids Are Alright. It's a film made entirely from archive footage - there's plenty of the VH stuff out there to serve as the basis for this - all they need to do is entrust the project to a decent film-maker.

If they could get the guy that did 'Senna' that would be the way to do it. He did that one just from archive footage without even a narration, just let the clips talk for themselves.

End it with the car crash of one of Eddie's drunk solo spots.

ZahZoo
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Seriously... the most qualified guy to narrate a VH documentary would be Mike Rowe from Discovery Channel's... Dirty Jobs!!

He's handled more shit than anyone around... which makes him uniquely qualified for anything Van Halen related...

Vinnie Velvet
11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
The problem with a VH documentary is that you would have to talk about Van Hagar. Though I guess they could 'gloss' over those years.

Etienne
11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
The problem with a VH documentary is that you would have to talk about Van Hagar. Though I guess they could 'gloss' over those years.

They could call it the Early Years or something like that, problem solved. But Mike has to be included and well featured.

Seshmeister
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
The problem with a VH documentary is that you would have to talk about Van Hagar.

They could talk about it by saying how shit it was.

Etienne
11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
They could talk about it by saying how shit it was.

But MA is still in love with the Van Hagar years...

Seshmeister
11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Well put a laughter track on his interview. :)

chefcraig
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Seriously... the most qualified guy to narrate a VH documentary would be Mike Rowe from Discovery Channel's... Dirty Jobs!!

He's handled more shit than anyone around... which makes him uniquely qualified for anything Van Halen related...

Not only that, but he has an uncanny ability to suck up to the brain-damaged "Captains" on Discovery's Deadliest Catch, thus making him the perfect guy to speak with the Van Halen brothers in a bar somewhere in Hawaii after the album is released. The show could be called "The Coors Light After The Hatch", and could have them sitting around and pointedly not drinking a pitcher of beer while reminiscing about the recording of the album, showing video clips and welcoming cameo appearances by the handful of unknowns who played a part in the album's production.

Too bad Phil Harris is no longer around to call them all assholes.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/3/c18c61d6c65b2a9aa467815b62966e28.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/890162)

Nitro Express
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I wonder who found more crabs? The fishing boat captains or Alex? Sweet Sweet Connie is still in love with Alex.

VHscraps
11-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Nah, you just ignore the blandola years and the Red Douchebag. Just make the film about VH, 1974-85. That way the director can rely on archive footage, and also avoid having, e.g., EVH on screen indulging in heavy bouts of revisionism ('eh, what do you mean booze and women? I don't drink and I'm happily married'). That kind of control freakery goes on in his camp, and inhibits others still connected to him from even discussing the past.

As it happens, I heard one of those Van Hagar-'let's-pretend-we-are-grown-ups'-tunes seeping from the radio this afternoon - When It's Lame. Well, actually, I managed to leap into action and make it to the other side of my room - despite racking my back the other day - and hit the off button before anything like lasting damage hit me.

I'd rather have my ears sawn off than listen to that crap. So, there's no need to drag in all the irrelevant stuff like the post-85 years, if they give the OK for a film. Seshmeister is right - just look at the Senna film. I've seen a few excellent films that have used the same approach.

If the VHs ever revisit that black period in all our lives, or work with that crimson clown again, then I for one will say bye-bye for good, brothers.

ThatArtGuy
11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Crimson Clown

AWESOME! I now have a new nickname for Slappy.

ZahZoo
11-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Not only that, but he has an uncanny ability to suck up to the brain-damaged "Captains" on Discovery's Deadliest Catch, thus making him the perfect guy to speak with the Van Halen brothers in a bar somewhere in Hawaii after the album is released. The show could be called "The Coors Light After The Hatch", and could have them sitting around and pointedly not drinking a pitcher of beer while reminiscing about the recording of the album, showing video clips and welcoming cameo appearances by the handful of unknowns who played a part in the album's production.

Too bad Phil Harris is no longer around to call them all assholes.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/3/c18c61d6c65b2a9aa467815b62966e28.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/890162)

You got Ben Baily from Cash Cab in that pic... he's clearly dealt with his share of morons in NY.

Any guy that can literally talk shit and make it humorous has to be a shoe-in...

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/Dirty-Jobs/images/mike-rowe-1.jpg

Better yet an expert in dysfunctional family businesses...

http://orangecountychopper.free.fr/goodies/wall/mikey1_1024x768.jpg

Nitro Express
11-02-2011, 11:05 AM
What's funny is I can remember when all these cable channels came into existence in the early 1980's. MTV was actually a music channel instead of a brainwash the youth propaganda channel and the Discovery Channel was actually about showing educational documentaries. Now it's just reality TV that turns out to be not so real. You have the fake ass news channels, the fake ass reality TV shows, and the only thing real on TV anymore is the sports. That is if you discount the pro wrestling bit.

What really lost me is we are going to show you Captain Phil dying. Yeah we know the family doesn't like the cameras in the hospital and one of the sons is having problems with drugs but we are going to show you the whole drama and milk everything we can from it. Discovery actually systematically turned a man's death into a money making opportunity because he signed a contract and by not letting those cameras roll Discovery would then sue and ruin the family. That's what went down and that is why I don't watch the Discovery Channel anymore. I doubt these people read the whole 500 page contract.