Global Warming is Real (Get over it corporate Fossil Fuel Shitheads)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Global Warming is Real (Get over it corporate Fossil Fuel Shitheads)

New study shows Climategate scientists were right

October 21, 2011 3:12 PM |

By Bob McDonald, Quirks & Quarks

Another independent study, this time from the United States, has shown that the climate scientists accused of the so-called "Climategate" affair were, in fact, right about the warming of the Earth.

The Berkeley Earth study was an independent scientific group, including this year's Nobel Physics Prize winner Saul Perlmutter, that used different and more detailed methods to analyze past climate records. But they came to the same conclusion that scientists at the University of East Anglia in England, as well as those at NOAA and NASA, have reached: that the climate over land has been on the rise since at least 1800, the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

The intent of the study was to quell the voices of climate skeptics, who have charged that scientific methods were flawed and data have been manipulated or skewed to support climate warming. One of the biggest criticisms of past studies is that many weather recording stations are in urban areas, where heat from cities would give false readings. This study, using data from about 40,000 weather stations around the world, showed that while cities do indeed create a heat island effect, they do not affect the overall climate of the planet, because cities only cover about one percent of the land.

The report also showed how cooling periods, which are also used by skeptics to show warming is not happening, are caused by oscillating ocean currents, which can lower average temperatures for years; but then the trend continues its long-term upward climb. It's all part of the process of a changing climate. The scientists in the study have also made all their data and methods available for scrutiny online, to show total transparency.

This is sweet news for scientists at the Climate Research Unit at East Anglia, who had emails hacked and were falsely accused of manipulating data. More importantly, the report will provide ammunition for politicians preparing for the next UN Climate Summit in South Africa next month.

At the same time, a large consortium of more than 200 corporations from around the world, called the 2°C Challenge, is calling for government action on climate change. The business community realizes that there are considerable costs involved if nothing is done to curb climate change, and profits to be made if companies "go green."

In recent years, these annual UN summits have been deadlocked by countries, including Canada, that often claim the climate science is uncertain, and that the cost of change would hurt the economy. This study and the growing consensus of the corporate community (outside the fossil fuel industry) show that those statements are no longer valid excuses for inaction.

The scientists have done their work and stand united on their results. The business community agrees. Now it's time for the politicians to get on with doing something about it.

cbc.com
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

nick, my gov't has just passed a carbon tax. we're on an island which covers about the same area as your country. but only 23 million people, and largely coastally based. now check this out...http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...tion-in-china/

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I find it odd that we are being offered grants here to put solar panels on our roofs and I'm told that it pays for itself in 5 or 10 years even though it constantly pisses with rain, yet in Australia less than 0.2% of your power is solar???

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Every house in arizona should be built with solar panels on the roof, ridiculous that they don't.
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
          Every house in arizona should be built with solar panels on the roof, ridiculous that they don't.
          Same with California...starting to see a bit more of it popping up, though...it's catching on.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Blaze
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by ashstralia
            nick, my gov't has just passed a carbon tax. we're on an island which covers about the same area as your country. but only 23 million people, and largely coastally based. now check this out...http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...tion-in-china/
            Wow ...
            "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
            sigpic

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I completely agree... I live in the fucking 'sunshine state'! Where are the solar panels?
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                Same with California...starting to see a bit more of it popping up, though...it's catching on.
                Originally posted by VAiN
                I completely agree... I live in the fucking 'sunshine state'! Where are the solar panels?
                The only reason that solar energy has never taken off in this country is because our government hasn't come up with a way to tax sunshine...yet.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2007

some friends had them installed on their roof, just for water heater, and i wanna say it was still $4k outta pocket! years to recoup.
                  Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There are reports that quite a lot of people will install them facing the road so that their neighbors can see how green they are even if that is the side that gets less sunshine.

It's the same with the Prius. The theory goes the reason it sold so many more than the Honda equivalent because the Honda looked too similar to the non electric version. Or Hollywood stars flying private jets but then taking a Prius from the airport.

There is no point in saving the planet if people don't know you are doing it.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

ya can't fix stupid

Comment

• Satan
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        The only reason that solar energy has never taken off in this country is because our government hasn't come up with a way to tax sunshine...yet.
                        Well, that and the fact that nobody can OWN the sun. Of course solar isn't an option down here, but there's an endless supply of geothermal heat to go around. (Plus the traditional coal & soul burning fires, of course)
                        Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                        I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

We would get a lot more green technology including some nice affordable electric cars but the private financing has dried up. The Department of Energy only gives grants to big corporations. You might note some of the emerging scandals regarding that. Then you have to deal with the EPA that amazingly stalls smaller companies from getting the approval they need. One thing that keeps the legitimate green industries back is the government itself. That is because the fossil fuel companies have bribed enough politicians. Oh they will talk green. They have been doing so since Nixon was in office but when it actually comes to doing it, nothing much happens.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            There are reports that quite a lot of people will install them facing the road so that their neighbors can see how green they are even if that is the side that gets less sunshine.

It's the same with the Prius. The theory goes the reason it sold so many more than the Honda equivalent because the Honda looked too similar to the non electric version. Or Hollywood stars flying private jets but then taking a Prius from the airport.

There is no point in saving the planet if people don't know you are doing it.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              We would get a lot more green technology including some nice affordable electric cars but the private financing has dried up. The Department of Energy only gives grants to big corporations. You might note some of the emerging scandals regarding that. Then you have to deal with the EPA that amazingly stalls smaller companies from getting the approval they need. One thing that keeps the legitimate green industries back is the government itself. That is because the fossil fuel companies have bribed enough politicians. Oh they will talk green. They have been doing so since Nixon was in office but when it actually comes to doing it, nothing much happens.
                              Government can't really deal with small businesses, the best you can hope for is to be left alone. A small business usually doesn't have time to do the thousands of pages of bullshit to get a grant and government isn't usually very interested in things that are small in scope(at least to start with). If the guys running these things had that imagination they wouldn't be working there.

Ooops did that sound bitter?

Comment

Working...