PDA

View Full Version : A Statement Of Fact Regarding Roth Army And The Mighty Van Halen.....

Hardrock69
11-04-2011, 09:46 PM
This is for all you troll-like retarded fucks that show up here from time to time, accusing us at the Roth Army of somehow "hating" Edward Van Halen.

You can go fuck yourselves. Go jump in front of a fucking train. Go die in a fire.
You obviously have nothing in between your worthless fucking ears but air. It is obvious to anyone who does have half a brain that you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

1. Sure, we complain about Ed. We complain about the lack of communication from Howdy-Doody Mountain. We complain about the fact that he appears to ignore what his FANS want in some areas. No, I am not talking about "guitarists", because he does seem hell-bent on selling his EVH brand, for which none of us can fault him. We complain about his unwillingness to release concerts on DVD from the period of Classic Van Halen. We complain about his unwillingness to update us on the "band".
We complained in the past about his unwillingness to get back with Uncle Dave, and we still complain (until things change) that Ed seems unwilling to get Michael Anthony back in the game.

2. We complain about this out of severe frustration, you dumb motherfuckers, not because we "hate" anyone, much less Ed.

We know what a talent he is, what he was, and what he will be. We know how influential he was and still is. If he and Al had not wound up in L.A. courtesy of his parents, we would all be on other website forums discussing other bands. Dave might not have made it as big as he did, perhaps Mike might not have gone anywhere either. But the fact remains, Van Halen DID exist as a band, and DID freak out the entire musical community on Earth when they arrived, and did create not only legions of fans, but legions of inspired guitarists, many of whom were moved by the incredible atomic blast of Van Halen as a band to pick up guitars and learn how to play.

3. We bitch because we KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that Van Halen is one of the most awe-inspiring, kickass purveyors of Big Rock to ever grace this planet. There has never been, and never will be, any band who has their incredible combination of virtuosity, blatant over-the-top showmanship, high-volume hard rock histrionics and reverent (and irreverent) tips of the hat to the forefathers (and mothers) of hard rock. They took songs by artists such as The Kinks, Roy Orbison, Linda Ronstadt, and Martha and the Vandellas, and made them their own. Sure, doing cover songs on albums reek of Major Label meddling, but even so, their versions of classic 20th-century rock, pop and R & B standards are unique to themselves.

4. There have been accusations of us at Roth Army being blind fanbois who worship the ground Van Halen walks on without ever having even seen the real deal. Those of you who say such things can go fuck yourself in the ass with a chainsaw. Your delusional infantile rantings are the product of fathers who were earning quarters sucking off gayboi prostitutes, and retarded mothers who fucked anything that moved, including all forms of domestic and farm animals.

In short, you are inbred retards who wish you could belong, and are jealous of the Roth Army for being a great group of people who hang together at rotharmy.com having a great time while being in awe of The Mighty Van Halen.

5. Sure we bitch about Ed. But we KNOW what Van Halen is about, and WE WANT MORE.

We were deeply saddened by the departure of Uncle Dave in the mid-80s, and a majority of us here at Roth Army were dismayed when the fat, chickenshit klown was asked to front the band.

We waited for years while this fluffy-puff version of Van Halen toured the world, hoping beyond hope that perhaps someday Uncle Dave would be asked back.

Many of us continued to go see Van Hagar, simply to see Ed, Al, and Mike in action, while tolerating the idiot who once said that "only time will tell if we can stand the test of time".

We were glad when the tequila salesman finally got the boot in the mid-90s, and perplexed by the replacement, Gary Cherone. Better than having Patti Smith as the vocalist, but still.....WTF?

There was the infamous "almost reunion" that crashed and burned before even actually going anywhere in the late 90s. Our hopes were dashed, but we still held on.

We suffered through the van hagar "reunion" tour in 2004, watching as Ed disintegrated before our eyes. Yes, we were severely troubled to see such a genius behave as he did, but then, in a small way, we were glad of the reasons behind it......we had seen long before what an idiot the "frontman" was, and we were glad that Ed finally saw the light and told Spamulus Flatulus to go fuck himself.

The fallout engulfed Mike though, and so hopes for a full-bore reunion were dimmed even further.

But still we held on.

The 2007-2008 reunion tour was a major leap forward, but naturally we felt short-changed. We understand Ed wanting to help his son. What father does not? And even though we still bitch about it, we ALL understand that Wolfy got to do something incredible.....he is one of only 7 people on Earth to actually BE a member of Van Halen.

So......here we are. Indications are that Van Halen may be playing at the Grammy Awards in February of 2012. There are slight indications that we may get what we want: A reunion of the original lineup.

We will not hold our breath for that, as we have lived with disappointment of one kind or another for the past 25 years.

But we always have been, and always will be fans of the only TRUE lineup of the Mighty Van Halen:

Edward Van Halen
Michael Anthony
David Lee Roth
Alex Van Halen

6. Some of us have met various members of the band. General consensus is they are all cool people.
None of US have ever been internally involved with the band. We can only imagine the stress involved in being one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. We have seen people in such a lofty position crack and fall apart (and sometimes die) as a result of the extreme pressures involved in being an A-list rocker in the Music Business, which is operated by Satan.

We can only make commentary from OUR point of view as THE FANS who have lived with disappointment and frustration now for 25 years....just wanting more of this incredible band.

You cannot blame us for wanting more. Nobody can.

So despite the idiot thinking of some of the Cro-Mag borons who show up here from time to time, we do not wish ill will on Ed at all. We respect his abilities and wish him the best.

But we only know what we REALLY want.

We want the band who blew our minds to get back together and tour.

Fans of some other bands cannot have that. Like say, The Who, or Led Zeppelin due to the fact that members of those bands are no longer with us.

But WE are fortunate in that all 4 of the original members of Van Halen are still alive and kicking.

So there is always hope that we can see them together again.

Anyone who says we hate Ed, or wish ill-will towards him or his son are full of motherfucking shit.

That's all I have to say, except that you trolls can go eat shit and fucking die.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow....

Well done Sir, well done indeed....

FORD
11-04-2011, 10:29 PM
:rockon:

Blaze
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Catherine was one of the best pieces Eddie ever gave. You want programmed rock. Input formula out put formulated. Even if the ChiChi's started flooding the channels with a free download daily.. it would be like eeww.. but but we what the refraction We want the KFC (Sony). Only franchised flavors will do. Art of sound oh no... that will not do! Give prefabbed! Give the standard fare. :flame:

Hardrock69
11-04-2011, 10:47 PM
In other words, you are saying Goober eat automobile wax, foley brown inside fruit-loops of the cog wheel magazine fluff tone Jebus. :rolleyes:

G-g-g-g-gee Beach. Thanks for the sticky! :D

FORD
11-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Actually, I did the sticky. But thank YOU for the best post of 2011!

Hardrock69
11-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Oh, so thank YOU sir!

Funny when inspiration strikes....gotta get to it and put pen to paper....or fingers to keyboard.

Just felt like publishing sort of a detailed mission statement so we can refer all the losers to it when they stop in to demonstrate their stupidity to us. :D

Oh, and it applies to anyone else in the band, not just Ed. No we do not hate Mike, no we do not hate Al, no we do not hate Wolfy, no we certainly do not hate Uncle Dave.

Now a certain former lead klown-ass of the band...sure, we despise "it". Hate is a rather strong word, but "disgusted" would be another good term. So the poor wretches can accuse us of hating on Spambot, but they cannot get a rise out of us for doing that, because they are correct! :lmao:

ashstralia
11-05-2011, 03:09 AM
and thanks HR for making it in your inimitable posting style. you sir, have my utmost respect. (yeah, i know you knew that already).:clap:

Hardrock69
11-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks Ash. You rule.

jero
11-05-2011, 06:45 AM
well said sir! A M E N to that!

Terry
11-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Think my sentiments toward Ed and Van Halen these days mostly are in the form of disappointment.

As young (14) and buzzed (3rd generation homegrown + Peppermint Schnapps) as I was back in 1984 when I saw Van Halen, I was lucky enough to have seen the real deal. They were the kings of the hard rock heap back then, at least stateside.

Remembering what was (and, for those who couldn't, it really takes no more than a listen to any of the first 6 Van Halen albums to get the jist) and seeing what is, it's just sad.

No matter how bad Ed fucks up these days and no matter how hopeless the band are in getting their shit together now, one can never deny what Van Halen meant to rock music and Ed meant to the guitar as a primary instrument in rock. In many ways, both Van Halen and Ed were in a class of one. The proof? For all those rock bands and guitarists so obviously influenced by Van Halen who were signed and released albums in Van Halen's wake, precious few came close to getting it right.

The disappointment (not the same as anger) comes in knowing damn well that Ed and the band are capable of much more than what they have devolved into.

Blaze
11-05-2011, 07:26 AM
In other words, you are saying Goober eat automobile wax, foley brown inside fruit-loops of the cog wheel magazine fluff tone Jebus. :rolleyes:

G-g-g-g-gee Beach. Thanks for the sticky! :D :hippie:
Something like that....
Actually, my response was tl;dr

Now that it is 9am Monday morning (joke!) with coffee in hand, It's a good read.

I wish all the members were prolific and openly shared their works ( the good, the bad, or the ugly) , individually and as a group.

POJO_Risin
11-05-2011, 08:31 AM
great post...

I, for one, hate Edward Van Halen...

and to be honest...the feelings are starting to creep into the entirety of the band. I'm so sick of this fucking bullshit time and time and time again.

I don't have fucking time in my damn life to worry about these fucking egomaniacs any more...

Put out a fucking album...get on a fucking tour...and be done with it. All this bullshit in between is better served on a daytime soap...

and if memory serves, all those daytime soaps are going under...so fuck it...

In 10 years, there will be no NEW material to worry about, because one of these idiots will likely kick the bucket...after...

announcing a tour kicking off in Myanmar...scheduling it...cancelling because of ball cancer...rescheduling it in Nunuvut...cancelling because Dave showed up with an autographed cup, worn by Janie...hiring Mitch Malloy (who really isn't a real person)...firing Mitch Malloy...hiring Sammy Hagar...firing Sammy when he shows up wearing a red wig with a Tequila bottle sticking out of his ass, singing about fried eggs, tornadoes, and weed in Amsterdam...hiring Justin Beiber...recording an album...firing Beiber when it's found out he's having a "friendship" with Beethoven...Wolfgang...whatever...rehiring Dave, who's decided to put out an album of VH classics using an alphorn, a vuvazela, an accordian and a ukelele....firing Dave because he showed up to 5150, banged the maid, Ed's wife again, and waved to a neighbor which prompted spED to state that Dave said, "It's not about your hip." With the three to four years between each hiring...all the members of the band will be in their mid to late 90's...and well...nature will take it's course...

except for Michael...who will assuredly join Wolfgang in the new Van Halen...

John_Downing
11-05-2011, 08:43 AM
LMMFAO- go fuck yourself in the ass with a chainsaw. Great line.

I have saw them 4 times. 2 at Texxas Jam 78 (1 Jul 78). They played early in the day after Walter Egan. That was the first time I had ever been at a event with that many people. To see the entire crowded Cotton Bowl do the fist pump and be part of it during Ain't talking bout love (Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey) was a memorable experience. That first Jam was great and anybody who was there will tell you that VH stole the show. Without a doubt a crowd favorite. I am not sure but I think they played the entire first album. Funny how some things remained burned in your mind over the years. It was so great because my buds and I were close to the stage. At that time of the day (1030 AM...ish) the stage still provided shade to the crowd that was close to the front. It was still cool if there is such a thing in Texas in July. It was not too long and it was a inferno down there. Without a doubt those guys TRULY Electrified the entire cotton bowl!

Texxas Jam 79 was my 2nd. Then once at Midland Texas, Chaparral center- Stage barricade collapse 15 July 79. I got a nice scar out of that one and then 85 or 86 with Sammy. So I guess that one don't count. o:). Hope this materializes into a 2012 tour.

John_Downing
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Everybody has seen the 2 second clip of elite works with Eddie on the Stage at the Cotton bowl 78. In that clip there is a guy sitting down with water dripping on him. The people at the Cotton bowl had lined the short wall at the edge of the cotton bowl floor with rain gutter and PVC pipe that had holes drilled in it to provide a steady source of water for drinking. Kind of like a continual water fountain all around the field perimeter. That was a great Idea in theory, but as people continually climbed out of the field and jumped into the field the 1.5 inch PVC broke due to somebody standing on it and then probably at 3 pm in the afternoon we were standing in ankle deep water. I still remember the guy tripping his ass off. Sitting on a blanket that was underwater who had just thrown up on himself. That day was HOT as Hell.

Northern Girl
11-05-2011, 09:06 AM
My days spent caring about this band are quickly dwindling. Could just be my advanced age (at least I'm younger than you, HR!) and my desire for complete simplicity in life, but I just don't get caught up in the day to day rumors, wonderings, ponderings anymore and can barely even muster interest in anything less than an official word from the band.

I don't hate anyone. I will always love this band and all it has given me over the years. I will always love and keep close the music they have given me. The rest just doesn't matter anymore.

I will buy any new music if and when it happens. I will see them on tour if and when it happens. Beyond that I'm letting go of it all, physically and mentally. Everything short of the music and Dave's book are going on Ebay when I feel ambitious enough to tackle that! Scrapbooks went in the garbage already last year.

I feel more liberated already. It is extremely exhausting loving this band. It shouldn't be that way. I'm too tired and old for it. OK, I'm only in my 40's like most of you, but I've been there since 1978 and it's been a long, long journey!

Edward has always said he's just a musician. He is ignorant to the idea that there are people out there that spend every day waiting and wondering. Most people don't get that. In the end, I try not to judge what other people do. Just because he doesn't do everything the way we want him to is really our problem, not his. Let go of your expectations of others and life goes on with no disappointments.

Remember the good old days and enjoy whatever comes in the future as it comes! It's all good!

Sermon over. Peace out, Army!

John_Downing
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I am waiting for somebody to BUST me out for posting off topic. Let me say in advance. Excuse me.

moose
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up HR!!!
GREAT POST

Blaze
11-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I am waiting for somebody to BUST me out for posting off topic. Let me say in advance. Excuse me.
:welcome: :focus:

clarathecarrot
11-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Catherine was one of the best pieces Eddie ever gave. You want programmed rock. Input formula out put formulated. Even if the ChiChi's started flooding the channels with a free download daily.. it would be like eeww.. but but we what the refraction We want the KFC (Sony). Only franchised flavors will do. Art of sound oh no... that will not do! Give prefabbed! Give the standard fare. :flame:

programmed piece chi chi flood down load eeww but but want flavor no that will not do give give... :flame:

yes it was good for me but not as good a sammiches now get out in that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans...

Kristy
11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
You can go fuck yourselves. Go jump in front of a fucking train. Go die in a fire.
You obviously have nothing in between your worthless fucking ears but air. It is obvious to anyone who does have half a brain that you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

That's all I have to say, except that you trolls can go eat shit and fucking die.

You know, I'd love to go to a seminar with you where the focus is on people building skills.

clarathecarrot
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
On subject: > I always thought this site was about us hanging out and jiving the booshay of that that what makes a day Van Halen is the reason we come together and I agree with all that has been said but really...music is something that lies in the hands of the creator.

I am sure none of these guys are sitting in a dark corner waiting to make fans happy.

Like us they probably think they will spend thier money doing what we do having a good time not speculating with it on a 75 million dollar possibility of sucsess tour / record deal.

I want professional thought to be what I grasp from any VH Roth project.
Like NG I have no ill will anymore

and Yokos' new tv show hot in cleveland is funny as hell..lol

ZahZoo
11-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Hardrock69 for President!!

Well played sir!!!

Nitro Express
11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I thank Ed for giving us some unique music and guitar work that will stand on it's own brilliance over time. To be honest, I'm amazed Eddie Van Halen is still alive due to his various addictions to substances and poor lack of judgement. The man was known to drive fast drunk. Amazing he never got in a car wreck. He's a testament the human body can take a real load of booze, nicotine, and cocaine and still keep going. The man is alive and fortunately he didn't kill anyone driving his cars drunk but he did kill his career and he did kill his band.

Heater
11-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Michael Jordan was at one time the greatest basketball player in the world, surrounded by a team with talent of their own, who together were a virtually unstoppable force. Highlight films of his heyday are something to behold and fans of his are fortunate to be able to procure them should they be so inclined. At the same time these fans KNOW that his time in the sun has passed, he knows it too. It would be ludicrous to think anybody is waiting for him to return and perform at the level he once did all those summers ago.

ashstralia
11-05-2011, 04:16 PM
yeah, but basketball sucks and rock music rules. bad analogy. HR; skeletor wants to go to a SEMENar with ya!!!!! :)

jhale667
11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Excellent post, HR!! :killer:

And btw, Bleater...tell that "past his prime" shit to Jeff Beck, still peeling paint off walls (of arenas) well into his 60s. Don't count Ed out.

FORD
11-05-2011, 04:33 PM

You were speaking to the greatness of Van Halen, so I don't think that was off topic at all. It's not like you made basketball analogies or something stupid like that. :biggrin:

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
You know, I'd love to go to a seminar with you where the focus is on people building skills.

I could teach a college-level course on people building skills.

But, on the reverse, I could teach a college-level course on people destruction skills.

You could too.

I also would love to attend a course with you. On whatever subject. It would be interesting to see you get pissed off and unload on someone who deserves it. But then, I have seen that here.

Poor Jimmy Page. I just heard from my inside sources that he is ready to commit suicide because you hate his guts. :hee:

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Oh, and it seems people from other sites have been reading my post. Have heard from some peeps who totally understand where I am coming from.

I wrote this not only on my behalf, but on the behalf of everyone who has expressed irritation or frustration over the never-ending soap opera coming from Coldwater Canyon.

Like Pojo says....lotsa peeps are fed up with the shit and just want the band (the original 4) to get out and tour.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

Diamondjimi
11-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Your thousandth "Thank You" brother Hardrock69 . One of The Roth Army's top soldier knocks another one out of the park.:thumb:

Stellar thread bro, every word the gospel!

Roth the fuck on!!! :hitch:
=VH=

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Oh, and Northern Girl? Nice to see you back here again sweetie! Long time no see! ;)

DlocRoth
11-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Fantastic post, HR!

Its easy to blame one half of the dynamic duo when we are on the other half's most bestest site.

I dont think its our lack of love..... I think its Ed's perceived lack of interest, commitment, and dedication to sobriety that makes us flame on him.

I dont hate Ed. I just hate the decisions he makes.

Love ya, SpEd! Now get your fucking head outta your ass.

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Holy shit! 1,000 times?

Meh....took me 6 years and an awful lotta typing. ;)

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Oh and by the way, Pojo, Mitch Malloy would have been a great addition to VH. He lives here in Gnashville and I have seen him sing in clubs. He is a good singer.

Though in the VH Historical Archives, he is somewhat less than a footnote.

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Dupe post

Northern Girl
11-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Oh, and Northern Girl? Nice to see you back here again sweetie! Long time no see! ;)

You too, HR, but I'm actually here every day! :behindsofa:

;)

Matt White
11-06-2011, 08:28 AM
THATS what I'm talkin' 'bout HR..............

"Hate" EVH???

Yeah....how many of us GOT our 1st guitars in 1984???

And "Van-Halenized" em imediately???

Its that fine line between Love and Hate.....

Imagine if Babe Ruth climbed to the top of the mountain...and then fell off because he was a slobbering drunk....well, half imagine.........

SheeeeeeIT......

POJO_Risin
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh and by the way, Pojo, Mitch Malloy would have been a great addition to VH. He lives here in Gnashville and I have seen him sing in clubs. He is a good singer.

Though in the VH Historical Archives, he is somewhat less than a footnote.

Your lucky I don't make this my tag line...

seriously...are you fucking kidding me...

Next thing you know...someone's going to tell me he sings like an alien (IE...Eddie describing Bette and Brown Leisure Suit fag)

...a great addition to Van Halen?

Holy hell...

POJO_Risin
11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't hate spED for being a drunk...I don't hate spED for deciding to take time off for whatever reason...I don't hate spED for hiring Bette, or the writing idiot in a Brown Leisure Suit...I don't hate spED for all his anti-hero, douchebagginess over the past 27 odd years. Christ, you could make a case that his behavior pales in comparison to Dave in many respects...

What I hate spED for, and where he differs from Roth...and really...most every human being...

...is his total disregard for the former millions that followed him and built their first guitars to emulate his...

...no...better yet...his total ignorant behavior is likely the better term...

...and hate isn't the word...

...antipathy is...mixed with indifference...

Now, "a big announcement" will take place...

seriously...no fucking clue...

Va Beach VH Fan
11-06-2011, 09:26 AM
...is his total disregard for the former millions that followed him and built their first guitars to emulate his...

Unless he's selling his flip-flops to ya, that is.....

POJO_Risin
11-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Unless he's selling his flip-flops to ya, that is.....

Don't even get me started...

Diamondjimi
11-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Excellent rant thread.

If Ed put half the amount of energy into Van Halen as he does into shilling his gear, VH would still be in the conscious minds of music fans. Look at Bon Jovi. As much as I loathe that band, they still
keep their shit together, put out records and tour arena's and stadiums regularly. Ask any Hip hop/Rap kid in high school or on the street if they know who Bon Jovi is and they'll most likely
know it's a Rock band.
Ask 'em who Van Halen is and they'll most likely be scratching their head....

This new album will be their triumph or the end of VH.

Nitro Express
11-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I think part of the problem could be Ed has lost his ability to play consistently. I think the guy has problems with his hands and maybe some nervous system damage. I think he knows it and frankly is scared of going out or even making a record. They might have some good songs in the can but how much and can Ed do it all the time?

Heater
11-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Excellent post, HR!! :killer:

And btw, Bleater...tell that "p

ast his prime" shit to Jeff Beck, still peeling paint off walls (of arenas) well into his 60s. Don't count Ed out.

I agree, and that applies to Clapton too. Ed is not on that same tier, he wrote a ton of great riffs which turned into good songs but his soloing has a gimmicky edge to it. Admit it, doesn't tapping get a LITTLE stale after a while? Yes there's more to him than that (squeals, whammy dive bombs) but his solos for the most part follow the same formula. He is nowhere as expressive as Clapton or Beck, they let the music breathe at times, Ed crams a fill into spots that might be better left untouched. go YouTube Clapton doing a solo during "Old Love"for example and try to imagine what Ed would do with that same music:wheedlewheedleybawwww,wheedlebawwwwheedle, repeat.

Heater
11-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Actually, I did the sticky, aren't I cool? I'm a journalist you know. But thank YOU for the second after anything by me and my journalistic superiority, best post of 2011!

...come on Ford, give us a break........

Hardrock69
11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok Pojo. So perhaps he would NOT be a good addition to VH, but I was just saying Mitch is a good singer. Not some hack.

Just sayin.....

hambon4lif
11-06-2011, 09:13 PM
...come on Ford, give us a break........What the fuck is this "us" shit about?!? There is no "us" where you're concerned. You became your own little island of spam by intentionally trying to aggravate everyone else with your moronic bullshit.
Matter of fact, you're one of the idiotic fuckwads being referred to in the initial post!! (which BTW, was nothing less than stellar):thumb:

Tilt your head to the side, open up your neck, and FUCK YOURSELF!!:dafinger:

POJO_Risin
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Ok Pojo. So perhaps he would NOT be a good addition to VH, but I was just saying Mitch is a good singer. Not some hack.

Just sayin.....

Yeah...but what the hell does that have to do with anything...

Whitney Houston used to be a good R&B singer before she laid some Bobby Brown and crack pipe....

so what...

Not trying to be a dick...but I didn't exactly rip on the guy as a singer...just as a singer for VH...

What is he...your dad or something?

Diamondjimi
11-06-2011, 11:00 PM
. He is nowhere as expressive as Clapton or Beck, they let the music breathe at times, Ed crams a fill into spots that might be better left untouched.

Bullshit. Most of Ed's fills and licks are brilliant and memorable (CVH era anyway)...

go YouTube Clapton doing a solo during "Old Love"for example and try to imagine what Ed would do with that same music:wheedlewheedleybawwww,wheedlebawwwwheedle, repeat.

Fuck Clapton, he's boring as shit....
Ed could do anything he wanted over that song, it may or may not be great. But it sure as shit wouldn't be as fucking boring as Slow-as fuck-hand.... :sleepy:

ThatArtGuy
11-07-2011, 12:35 AM
For me, Clapton isn't very exciting either. However, as I see it, Clapton was a huge influence on Eddie on how to play with feeling. Eddie simply does it with a lot more technical ability. Apparently, some deaf people on this board just listen to Eddie's solos. Go back and listen to Eddie's fills, and especially his rhythm playing. I find more emotion in Eddie's rhythm playing than all of the guitar hero wannabe's that followed him... combined. Oh, as it goes without saying, I'm talking during the CVH era.

As for "not letting the music breathe," someone hasn't been listening to the music.

I know I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but I'm just tired of all the shit on the bridge.

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Not trying to be a dick...but I didn't exactly rip on the guy as a singer...just as a singer for VH...

What is he...your dad or something?

Ha...not even.

The first sentence in the quote above says it all. Can't disagree with ya.
There is only one vocalist for VH in my book. Uncle Dave.

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Clapton is better at being Clapton than anyone on the planet.

Ed is better at being Ed than anyone on the planet.

No need to analyze any of that further.

ThatArtGuy
11-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Exactly. They're not comparable.

Seshmeister
11-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Bullshit. Most of Ed's fills and licks are brilliant and memorable (CVH era anyway)...

Fuck Clapton, he's boring as shit....
Ed could do anything he wanted over that song, it may or may not be great. But it sure as shit wouldn't be as fucking boring as Slow-as fuck-hand.... :sleepy:

Totally.

The only memorable thing Clapton has done in the last 20 years is turn a shocking piece of parenting into a money spinner.

Hagar and Gene Simmons must have looked on enviously at that one...

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I will say this though. Seeing Eric live, if you separate the performance from some of the lame songs he has recorded in his career, he is a smoking guitarist.

Finally saw him in February of 2010, and he played some solos that were smoking hot.

I despised a lot of the lame songs he played though. Wonderful Tonight? Fucking lame worthless baby pabulum for the masses. I Shot The Sherriff? Kudos to him for bringing Reggae mainstream by recording that song, but it is not a song I want to hear him play. And he does not even play Layla on electric anymore. Just sits down on a chair like BB King and strums some chords (when I saw him it was with Vince Gill, who came out to play a few acoustic numbers with him).

Like a lot of people....in the 60s he had the fire....then he became a junkie...then he got old.

He needs to go beg Lemmy to give him some lessons about continuing to kick ass after age 60.

FORD
11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't like the acoustic version of Layla either, but I can't really blame Clapton for playing it that way. The two things that helped create that song are no longer there:

1) The basis for the song's existence, which was Eric being in love with George Harrison's wife - whom he later married and eventually divorced.
2) The dualing lead guitar with Duane Allman, who died shortly after, and it's never sounded the same with anyone else playing it.

He should probably retire the song altogether, but it was one of his biggest hits, so he probably doesn't think his fans will let him do so. So instead he does the lame unplugged version.

Kristy
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Poor Jimmy Page. I just heard from my inside sources that he is ready to commit suicide because you hate his guts. :hee:

Too good for him. I hope he gets cancer and dies a slow, painful death.

chefcraig
11-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree, and that applies to Clapton too. Ed is not on that same tier, he wrote a ton of great riffs which turned into good songs but his soloing has a gimmicky edge to it. Admit it, doesn't tapping get a LITTLE stale after a while? Yes there's more to him than that (squeals, whammy dive bombs) but his solos for the most part follow the same formula. He is nowhere as expressive as Clapton or Beck, they let the music breathe at times, Ed crams a fill into spots that might be better left untouched. go YouTube Clapton doing a solo during "Old Love"for example and try to imagine what Ed would do with that same music:wheedlewheedleybawwww,wheedlebawwwwheedle, repeat.

I honestly believe Ed Van Halen stopped caring about being a hot as shit guitarist right after Dave Roth left the band. From that point forward, the flashy, highly expressive, fun and at times evil side of his psych went right out the window, replaced by some odd need for respect and/or admiration as a composer, of all things. Next thing ya know, "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" gets replaced by an unending series of morose-sounding power ballads, that fit in perfectly beside Sammy Hagar's wheelhouse of hack songwriting.

The thing is, Ed's playing (like Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top) is highly idiosyncratic, but has all the range of a Daisy air rifle. Sure, Quincy Jones "sampled" EVH for a Michael Jackson tune and created an instant classic, but big deal. A fry cook on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives does the same thing by throwing an egg on top of a cheese burger. Yup, tastes amazing, but it's still an egg for fuck's sake and therefore limited by it's own existence. Put it on top of ice cream and your stomach turns. (Remember that nitwit that dropped an VH-like solo into "Maniac" from Flash Dance? Yeck.) So when Ed does try to stretch out, the results are ludicrous. Just recall him falling on his face with the country-ish but laughable "Finish What Ya Started", or for that matter the unlistenable garbage that surfaced on VH III.

Comparing the guy to other players doesn't work either, because as musicians, their very individuality and their own eras are what set them apart from each other in the first place. While it's fun to imagine the 1972 Dolphins playing the 1985 Bears, it's also dumb as shit and a rather time wasting exercise in futility.

I'm not being an Eddie-apologist here, as I find him to be not only an influence but also kinda creepy. Yet the guy is what he is. In trying to be something otherwise, he invokes embarrassment. Big deal. We all do. You can't be all things to all people, cause ya wind up being nothin' to nobody, or words to that effect.

jhale667
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM

No, it DOESN'T. As others have already pointed out, Clapton lost his fire decades ago, and due to an even more limited vocabulary, repeats licks more often than EVH ever thought about...

FORD
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
The best musical partnerships always contain at least a little bit of musical competition between the partners. Paul McCartney wrote some great stuff when he had to compete with John & George for time on the records, and when John was there to help him filter out the worst of it. And Paul served the same function for Lennon. Both of them moved on with their wives as musical collaborators, and it wasn't the same quality control at all, especially in McCartney's case, and by 1976 or so, he was putting out mostly crap songs. In retrospect, John taking 5 years off to raise Sean probably was a great thing for his songwriting. Sadly, we'll never know what kind of a writer he would have been after Double Fantasy.

Similar thing with the Dave/Eddie partnership. They challenged each other to produce the best material. Hagar didn't challenge Ed at all (Cherone wasn't even allowed to try) and Dave had "musical chairs" scenario with his guitarists, so none of them stuck around long enough to develop a true creative partnership.

Can the Roth/Van Halen partnership recover? Guess we will all find out in a few months.......

patt5150
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
@ Hardrock69

Maybe we'll stick around afterall, thanks for the kind, harsh words about Ed (lol). The hostility toward Ed is sometimes overwhelming at this site, but it all seems to stem from a love for their music and the incredible desire for more. Don't worry, tune in to CBS on November 30th at 10:00 and your hostility and anger should subside considerably! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!

Blaze
11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Eddie is good with David. And Eddie is good all by himself. When he is not doing something with Dave he should compose (and release) that is IF he can. He might have signed "a shoulda thought twice" contract that affects his solo works.

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
@ Hardrock69

Maybe we'll stick around afterall, thanks for the kind, harsh words about Ed (lol). The hostility toward Ed is sometimes overwhelming at this site, but it all seems to stem from a love for their music and the incredible desire for more. Don't worry, tune in to CBS on November 30th at 10:00 and your hostility and anger should subside considerably! VIVA VAN HALEN!!!

That depends. If I see Wolfy onstage, I am not going to be quite so thrilled.

In the meantime, piss off.:yo:

POJO_Risin
11-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I honestly believe Ed Van Halen stopped caring about being a hot as shit guitarist right after Dave Roth left the band. From that point forward, the flashy, highly expressive, fun and at times evil side of his psych went right out the window, replaced by some odd need for respect and/or admiration as a composer, of all things. Next thing ya know, "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" gets replaced by an unending series of morose-sounding power ballads, that fit in perfectly beside Sammy Hagar's wheelhouse of hack songwriting.

The thing is, Ed's playing (like Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top) is highly idiosyncratic, but has all the range of a Daisy air rifle. Sure, Quincy Jones "sampled" EVH for a Michael Jackson tune and created an instant classic, but big deal. A fry cook on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives does the same thing by throwing an egg on top of a cheese burger. Yup, tastes amazing, but it's still an egg for fuck's sake and therefore limited by it's own existence. Put it on top of ice cream and your stomach turns. (Remember that nitwit that dropped an VH-like solo into "Maniac" from Flash Dance? Yeck.) So when Ed does try to stretch out, the results are ludicrous. Just recall him falling on his face with the country-ish but laughable "Finish What Ya Started", or for that matter the unlistenable garbage that surfaced on VH III.

Comparing the guy to other players doesn't work either, because as musicians, their very individuality and their own eras are what set them apart from each other in the first place. While it's fun to imagine the 1972 Dolphins playing the 1985 Bears, it's also dumb as shit and a rather time wasting exercise in futility.

I'm not being an Eddie-apologist here, as I find him to be not only an influence but also kinda creepy. Yet the guy is what he is. In trying to be something otherwise, he invokes embarrassment. Big deal. We all do. You can't be all things to all people, cause ya wind up being nothin' to nobody, or words to that effect.

Did he stop caring...or...

Did he think he was so fucking good....that anything he fucking did would sound like sweet moanings of a solid lay?

In my less than humble opinion...

that pious fucker thought he could play a guitar out of his ass and make it sound good...

and instead began coming off as over-indulgent...well...not coming off...actually being...

PETE'S BROTHER
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
patt's gonna hate that

DONNIEP
11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
That depends. If I see Wolfy onstage, I am not going to be quite so thrilled.

No shit. IF they are on this Grammy thing, and IF they make some sort of "announcement", I swear to God I wish somebody would ask Wolfie, "why the hell are you up there?". I don't give a shit if he's the greatest bass player on this earth. He ain't a part of Van Halen and he has absolutely zero to add to the band. Come ON! This was a group of guys who said to hell with it and decided they were going to conquer the world. And DID!!! And now they got Eddie's kid in the band??? What if he'd had a girl? Or, God forgive me, a retarded kid? Timmayy!! Don't get me wrong. I'll watch this Grammy thing. I'll buy the record - if it ever comes out. And I'll go to the show, again - well, if a tour ever materializes. But it ain't Van Halen. Ah shit, I'm so conflicted. I need a beer. :gulp:

Hardrock69
11-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Thing is, they have already stated that "an iconic band will be reuniting...."

They already got back with Dave in 2007. If there is no further movement in personnel to justify the publicity they are shoveling out NOW, and they show up with Wolfy onstage, I am going to write the Academy and tell them what a bunch of cocksucking asslickers they are! :mad:

Hell, I oughta do that anyway just on general principal. :hee:

I will still go see them if they come close to Gnashville if Wolfy is still with them. But I am not going to go nutso on trying to see multiple shows.
If they have the original Fantastic Four, I would sell my dead grandma to go see any show I could, lol. Well, not really. But you get my drift.

mohican
11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
It's the same lineup of 3/4 CVH and Wolf. Why would MA get back with them when he didn't participate in the new album, and he's tied to Sammy.
It's not like this type of minor press releases are written by anyone with vh knowledge or past 26 years of age.

DONNIEP
11-08-2011, 12:57 AM
It's not going to be Van Halen on the Grammy thing anyhow. No way. Oh yeah, let's all tune in to watch Eddie trot out his fat fucking kid and piss all over the Van Halen name one more time. I can hear it now, "Right now, Van Halen is taking a huge shit all over every fan they ever had".

K1469
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Some of us have been waiting forever to hear something or see something from the group and finally we get some great news and all you want to do is talk shit about Ed's kid and wish Mike was still in the band? Wolf helped get the band back together and Mike crawled up Spammy's ass years ago and hid so how about keeping the negative shit off hear till after the Grammy special and see whats up before jumping back on the bandwagon! If Mike was dead would you still be bitching? Face it he is dead as far as VH goes from here on so support who Dave is supporting or find someplace else to whine! If you didnt see the original VH live you are too young to know what your talking about anyways!

Hardrock69
11-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Then I am plenty old enough to know what I am fucking talking about. The kid is old enough and has enough connections courtesy of dear old dad that he can go play in his own fucking band.

Sure, it will be great news if they play the Grammys. But if they do not have Mike in the band after promoting this as a reunion gig, when they already had a reunion TOUR 4 years ago, it will be just another slap in the face to the fans who want to see the original lineup again.

So Mohican, are you connected with the band? Are you going to claim (like so many others before you) that you somehow have "inside information"?

You are going to claim you know without a doubt which lineup is going to play the Grammys?

Right. Sure.

Next.....

FORD
11-08-2011, 03:36 AM
I'll say this much.... If a fat Republican tequila salesman is on that stage, I'll pull an Elvis and shoot my goddamn TV :elvis:

K1469
11-08-2011, 03:59 AM
I have hung out with Big Ed and the band backstage when Dave was in Dallas in 1998 but I have no inside info. or actually know anyone personally in VH. All I know is that this is Dave's last chance to have a huge impact in music and I am going to support the band and hope for the best. Being a negative asshole wont change anything. So get on the bandwagon or hop the fuck off. If you wouldnt tell what you have to say to Dave or Ed's face then stop talking crap on here. You either want to hear Dave or you dont so make up your mind? If you dont then why are you even on here? To just add up your posts and thank you's? lol I was on this site when it started in the 90's and used to send Sarge my concert pics before all you negative people took over the site. It's about supporting Dave, not trashing everything? All of us are frustrated but its not our life or our choice.

Hardrock69
11-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Refer your stupid ass to the first post in this thread, then shut the fuck up.

If you do not like what you see here, there is the fucking door.

K1469
11-08-2011, 04:20 AM
If this version of VH isnt what you want to see then maybe you should hop over to Mike and Spammy's place and not let the door hit you in the ass leaving here!
Say hi to Mike for me cause he aint coming back!

ZahZoo
11-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Supporting Dave is one thing... turning a blind eye towards the antics of the Van Halen brothers just because Dave is allegedly somewhat in the picture... round here that's like trying to teach a pig to sing... don't work and it just irritates the pig.

It could be considered reasonable to throw some blind support Dave's way... but at the moment, lacking anything tangible beyond alleged "mailed in" vocal recordings... there ain't shit to support. Others have said as much... we'll buy a beer or 6 just for a 2011 picture of Dave. I'd be happy to think positive... but first things first... is the motherfucker still alive..?

Hardrock69
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
If this version of VH isnt what you want to see then maybe you should hop over to Mike and Spammy's place and not let the door hit you in the ass leaving here!
Say hi to Mike for me cause he aint coming back!

Whatever version of VH I support is irrelevant, though perhaps that word is too lengthy and complicated for you to understand. Ed is going to do what he wants whether I support him or not.

If you would take Spammy's pindick out of your mouth enough to pay attention to what is going on at this site, you might comprehend the fact that there are people who are here to support David Lee Roth, and actually can string together enough sentences to form a comprehensible paragraph stating their opinions on Van Halen.

Then there are the random trolls who stop by and who have nothing better to do than to open their asshole and speak.

Obviously you have difficulty reading, mouth-breather. But I will still direct you to re-read the first post of this thread again (as I do once in awhile have some compassion for the mentally challenged) by posting a link to a bunch of big words that explain a lot of grown-up things about Edward Van Halen, this forum, the people who hang out here, and mentally deranged creatures who are called "trolls".

Click on the link below, and get your mommy to help you understand the big words:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?63525-A-Statement-Of-Fact-Regarding-Roth-Army-And-The-Mighty-Van-Halen.....&p=1570395&viewfull=1#post1570395

If you are still unable to understand plain English, even with the assistance of someone who can read, that is no fault of mine. Go cry to your mommy that the bad man at rotharmy.com told you to get a life.

Have a nice day, troll. :yo:

DLR Bridge
11-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Nitro Express- "I think part of the problem could be Ed has lost his ability to play consistently. I think the guy has problems with his hands and maybe some nervous system damage. I think he knows it and frankly is scared of going out or even making a record. They might have some good songs in the can but how much and can Ed do it all the time?"

I agree that he seemingly has lost his ability to play all speedy and flashy. Remember when he did his spot on 2-1/2 Men, he had some wonky donut around his left thumb? He may be fighting his way through some screwy problems with his paws. I for one agree with Thomas Dolby from the early nineties when he spoke of how underrated a rhythm guitarist Ed is, though. I'm all about the riffs and the grooves. I'm holding out absolute hope that the riffs to Believe Me/Take It Back or Show No Mercy or Light In The Sky find their way onto alledged recording.

As far as Mitch Malloy goes, I'd sooner welcome Ed, Al and Wolf sitting in with the Mitch Miller Chior for a Christmas special on the TV.

slimdon
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
All that Dave and Ed have to do is come up with another 31 minutes of rock n' roll loveliness. Here's their previous track record:

VH I = 35:13
VH II = 32:00
WACF = 33:13
FW = 30:58
DD = 31:24
1984 = 33:08

I've got faith. Any time I've been disappointed by VH, I look back on the Six Pack and it makes up for everything. I will always thank them for that. It's irreplaceable and timeless.

Sam Halen was another band, Ed Halen with Cherone on vox was a solo album/hip surgery/drinking problem gone terribly wrong. But what's done is done. We are where we are now. Don't hold on to that anger. Let it go... so long as the brothers don't do an album with Lou Reed. Lu Lu Halen would be a sign of the apocalypse.

Amen,
The Reverend
www.rocknrollbreakfast.com

DONNIEP
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Supporting Dave is one thing... turning a blind eye towards the antics of the Van Halen brothers just because Dave is allegedly somewhat in the picture... round here that's like trying to teach a pig to sing... don't work and it just irritates the pig.

Exactly what Zah said. And why is it that frustration with the Van Halen brothers is somehow equated to NOT being supportive of Van Halen??? I honestly don't know how I could be more supportive of this band than I already have been. I guess I could buy another pair of Ed's shoes or maybe some flip-flops and a tie or two...Or maybe I should get a poster of Wolfie and worship it as our Lord and Saviour for supposedly being the ONLY reason Dave got back in the band. Nothing against the kid, but he's no more a part of Van Halen than Sammy was or Gary was.

Hardrock69
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Zackly. You get it my friend.

Some people obviously cannot figure it out.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
And why is it that frustration with the Van Halen brothers is somehow equated to NOT being supportive of Van Halen???

I equate it to those that disagreed with invading Iraq did not support the troops...

But I certainly don't want to open up that can of worms in this forum.... :D

Hardrock69
11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Good comparison there, chief!

The lame nutshell version of my initial rant is that if Wolfy does the tour, good for him! Like most CVH fans I would prefer Mikey on bass.
But it is not like I am going to lose any sleep if Ed's son continues to be the bassist for Van Halen.

Most fathers I know sort of envy Ed in that respect....sure they can give their kids a new car, or pay for college, or whatever.

Ed was able to give his son the position of bassist in Van Halen! What a mind-blowing present!

In fact, I wonder what was running through Wolfy's mind when Dad told him what he had in mind.

Heater
11-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Good comparison there, chief!

The lame nutshell version of my initial rant is that if Wolfy does the tour, good for him! Like most CVH fans I would prefer Mikey on bass.
But it is not like I am going to lose any sleep if Ed's son continues to be the bassist for Van Halen.

Most fathers I know sort of envy Ed in that respect....sure they can give their kids a new car, or pay for college, or whatever.

Ed was able to give his son the position of bassist in Van Halen! What a mind-blowing present!

In fact, I wonder what was running through Wolfy's mind when Dad told him what he had in mind.

Typical VH apologist, wanting to believe it's still VH, nope. Making excuses for the mediocrity of the past tour and that which will be the next album. "Hey Wolf, I'm gonna put you on stage with a bass that isn't plugged in and have you sing along to vocal tracks." "Thanks dad, you mean I get to be right there while Dave cranks out the same lame jokes he's used since 1978 and skips around like a girlygirl?" Keep telling yourself this is VH, sorry you missed them when they were VH. C'mon, give us a break!!

chefcraig
11-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Typical VH apologist, wanting to believe it's still VH, nope. Making excuses for the mediocrity of the past tour and that which will be the next album. "Hey Wolf, I'm gonna put you on stage with a bass that isn't plugged in and have you sing along to vocal tracks." "Thanks dad, you mean I get to be right there while Dave cranks out the same lame jokes he's used since 1978 and skips around like a girlygirl?" Keep telling yourself this is VH, sorry you missed them when they were VH. C'mon, give us a break!!

I know this sort of disrupts your by now patented routine of dropping by the site and repeatedly blabbering the same tired lines regarding people that post here as being a pack of disillusioned navel gazers pretending that this current line-up of the band is in fact the real Van Halen, but for once, could you actually provide some proof (you know, a post or two) of anyone around here acting out that fantasy?

I have no issue with thought out, subjective criticism, particularly for a band that by it's very nature, invites it. But it seems to me that you are engaging in the very behavior you are claiming others to be offering, without bothering to back it up with any conviction. Look, once and for all, it's a fan site. Questioning the moves, motives and actions of the subject of such a site does not make anyone disloyal to that subject. Yet some sort of weird line gets crossed when a poster begins questioning the moves, motives and actions of the fans of that very same fan site. The activity is ultimately pointless, aside from killing some time between bathroom breaks and lunch/dinner while at work. Unless of course, that in and of itself is the whole point of this dubious exercise.

Back in a few, smoke break!

Roth & Roll
11-23-2011, 02:32 AM

Spoken like a true sychophant of the self-proclaimed "emperor" over at the links.

Nitro Express
11-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Too be honest. I'm amazed that all original members of Van Halen are still alive. It's a shame everyone isn't together. I never felt Wolfie earned his place in the band.

Zing!
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
I am loyal to the IDEA of the mighty Van Halen - the greatest party band in the world - we all have a little bit of Van Halen in us - rulers of the early 1980's - tiger pants and bandanas around the neck, striped guitars and brown M&M's. I am NOT loyal to the BAND Van Halen (and all its various incarnations). While I admit I tasted the Van Hagar Kool-Aid in the late 80's and early 90's, I knew even then that something was amiss, and my allegiance drifted back toward Dave - even if his albums weren't always my cup of tea (YFLM). What I'm saying is: even the BIGGEST Van Halen fan - and I'm about as fanatic as they come - eventually draws the line. Mine was drawn in 1996. Didn't support the Van Cherone debacle - skipped that tour, and other than the BOV1 haven't bought a Van Halen release since 1995. I even had a free ticket to the 2004 travesty from my older brother (who took me to my first rock concert, 5150, and knowing what a huge Van Halen fan I was, thought he was doing something nice for me) and turned it down. I will always support the classic 6-pack years of Van Halen for what they represented to the world and for basically being the soundtrack to my young life back then, but that doesn't mean I always have to support every decision the band makes simply for their name alone. That's being just as much a sheep as those who cheer for the Van Hagar years or Hagarita himself.

ZahZoo
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
It's a shame you missed the VH III tour... the record stunk and Cherone was a tool... but that was the top peak of Ed's playing ability and it's doubtful he'll ever perform at that level again. What made it even better was they pulled out several CVH tunes that hadn't been heard live in over a decade and Ed, Mike & Al smoked em like it was yesterday...

Matt White
11-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Watching Gary is just painful...even though he is SO much better than Spammy...............

DONNIEP
11-23-2011, 11:17 AM
The band did sound great - especially with Mikey singing Somebody Get Me A Doctor. Gary, not so much. But really, it's hard to be objective about seeing/hearing anybody else sing Dave's songs. And it would be an impossible gig for any singer, well, except maybe for Ralph.

chefcraig
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
The pisser is, that despite the fact that Cherone sang in the same gargling-battery-acid manner that the Red Sap Sucker used (a style that Cherone has never displayed in his entire career, before or after his stint in VH), he still managed to display the class of a true fan by not only acknowledging, but embracing the Dave-era.

Yet really,the less said about his original musical contributions to VH III, along with his goofy mannerisms and astoundingly bizarre stage craft, the better.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/42/0063952d760934122f9354da342c3af3.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/907854)

DONNIEP
11-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The pisser is, that despite the fact that Cherone sang in the same gargling-battery-acid manner that the Red Sap Sucker used (a style that Cherone has never displayed in his entire career, before or after his stint in VH), he still managed to display the class of a true fan by not only acknowledging, but embracing the Dave-era.

Yet really,the less said about his original musical contributions to VH III, along with his goofy mannerisms and astoundingly bizarre stage craft, the better.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/42/0063952d760934122f9354da342c3af3.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/907854)

That's just too fucking funny...

ThrillsNSpills
11-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Looks like he autodigested his head, chest and stomach and was in the process of pooping out a hand.
This wasn't in the middle of Bottoms Up was it?

chefcraig
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
This wasn't in the middle of Bottoms Up was it?

Even worse (and I could be mistaken), I vaguely recall it taking place during the introduction to "Fire In The Hole" on that Live From The 10 Spot MTV show filmed in Australia.

Zing!
11-23-2011, 12:05 PM
As a full-time arm-chair quarterback for the band's direction over the years, I still cringe that 'Van Halen III' was an official album from the band. As this is clearly an 'Eddie Van Halen Project,' it should have been released as such. Mike basically wasn't involved, Cherone was a hired hand, Al simply appeased his brother. By titling it as such, the already sullied history of the band might not have been dragged down even further. Ed has repeatedly made mention to the fact that he was profoundly inspired by Peter Gabriel's album 'So.' This more or less was his attempt at emulating that sound - but he should have embraced it fully rather than try to cram some Hagar-era left-overs onto the album in order to make it a 'Van Halen' album.

Unofficially, I still consider it an Ed solo album and have yet to actually listen to the entire disk front to back (although I've heard snippets of it here and there over the years). A horrible sound quality, embarrassing art design, Cherone's grating Boston voice, and lyrics that try to be 'contemporary' make this one the black sheep of the family - no matter HOW well Ed was playing at the time. The Live At The 10 Spot show was pretty much the last part of the Titanic we got to see before Van Cherone sunk beneath the waves - and even Ed seemed to know this well in advance, if you've ever seen him on that interview promoting 'III' in which he and Al and Mikey did the meet and greet with the super Van Halen fan and the kid's mom. Ed looks like he would rather be on another planet than doing the interview - his face looed like he just got done sucking a giant lemon, particularly when the kid was telling him how great the new album was...

FORD
11-23-2011, 12:42 PM
The pisser is, that despite the fact that Cherone sang in the same gargling-battery-acid manner that the Red Sap Sucker used (a style that Cherone has never displayed in his entire career, before or after his stint in VH)

I remember reading Nuno Bettencourt's comments at the time. Obviously he knew Cherone's voice better than anybody, and he couldn't figure out why they were trying to "make him sing like Sammy".

Or as a radio DJ put it at the time, "Like Sammy Hagar with a really bad stomach ache" :biggrin:

Terry
11-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I think part of the problem could be Ed has lost his ability to play consistently. I think the guy has problems with his hands and maybe some nervous system damage. I think he knows it and frankly is scared of going out or even making a record. They might have some good songs in the can but how much and can Ed do it all the time?

Seeing him play three-odd years ago, it was noticeable particularly on his solo spot, where the camera was focused solely on him and projecting images of him playing and displaying it on a large screen; his right hand looked clenched and cramped. He also looked half in the bag, which clearly wasn't working in his favor, either. But yeah, it looked like he was physically having trouble coordinating his picking with his fretting. Same deal when it came to the solo in Ice Cream Man and the Hot For Teacher intro. You could see he knew what the notes were, but just couldn't quite get it together.

Bit sad, really. By this point, it may well be just as much a function of his age...maybe the cumulative effects of many years of drug and alcohol abuse just exacerbating a certain amount of physical deterioration that naturally comes with age anyway.

Terry
11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
It's a shame you missed the VH III tour... the record stunk and Cherone was a tool... but that was the top peak of Ed's playing ability and it's doubtful he'll ever perform at that level again. What made it even better was they pulled out several CVH tunes that hadn't been heard live in over a decade and Ed, Mike & Al smoked em like it was yesterday...

Ed was playing really well on that tour.

The real shame of it all was how good it all could have sounded had Roth been there...and how Ed wasted what were probably his last best years live touring behind a record full of half-baked ideas and shitty production values, simultaneously bringing these great CVH warhorses out of mothballs to essay them with Cherone on vocals.

Yet I don't hold a grudge against Cherone...he clearly had a great deal of respect for what CVH was, and didn't feel the need to talk shit about Roth to boost his own mediocre abilities. If anything, I'm just amazed that Cherone didn't take a good, hard look at the fallout from the 1996 debacle, have a close, honest listen to what he and Van Halen were recording and realize there was virtually no chance that Van Cherone was gonna be successful. If the well had been poisoned by the Van Halens in 1996 prior to Cherone recording a note, Van Halen 3 wasn't gonna be the antidote that made many fans say, "Wow! Now THIS music was definitely worth not reuniting with Roth for!!"

sadaist
11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Yet I don't hold a grudge against Cherone...he clearly had a great deal of respect for what CVH was,

Cherone was the guy who chose to play all the old 6-pack tunes that had not been heard live since Hagar came in. And he knew which were untouchable (Ice Cream Man comes to mind). I don't blame Gary for doing the VH thing. Hell, who would turn down that opportunity? All blame goes to Eddie & Alex. ALL OF IT. Just like in Daves book..."Eddie did it".

I actually dig Cherone........in Extreme. Just like I dig Sting in The Police or Colin Hay in Men At Work. Just don't want them fronting VH.

I saw that tour though. And it still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. Was at the Del Mar Fair. The GOD DAMNED FAIR! VH does not play fairs. I also left about 2/3 through it. Just didn't sound like VH to me. I remember walking through the parking lot & I could hear Panama being played. Was a sad moment for me indeed.

However, as sad as I was at that very moment can not even compare to the elation of the 2007 tour when the lights went down & suddenly I saw David lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen on the same fucking stage.

/tears of joy

I'll take a sloppy Ed with Dave over a perfect Ed with anyone else.

Roth on brothers! Eat much turkey tomorrow and I hope you all have something to be thankful for.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Yup, I saw VH III too...

I wasn't excited to see them AT ALL, but my good buddy had never seen VH, so he was pumped....

I clearly remember how Cherone's gyrations were so over-the-top, it was embarrassing just to watch....

Blaze
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Rolling Stone Readers Select Ten Favorite Van Halen Songs
RollingStone.com
... readers to learn their ten favorite Van Halen songs. The results aren't shocking. It's 80% David Lee Roth era, 20% Van Hagar and 0% Gary Cherone era. That feels about right. Click through to see the results. By Andy Greene

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/rolling-stone-readers-select-ten-favorite-van-halen-songs-20111123

Hardrock69
11-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I saw that MTV Australia broadcast by sheer accident. Was checking out the viewer guide on cable, and was like "Van Halen? Live from Australia?"

It was pathetic. I watched about 20 minutes of it, and could not handle it anymore and changed channels.
Had not even considered buying VHIII (what a stupid tool-like name), and wanted nothing to do with it. Even tuning in at that moment was one of those morbid fascination routines....sorta like watching a Faces Of Death video.

Ugh.

Nitro Express
11-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Yup, I saw VH III too...

I wasn't excited to see them AT ALL, but my good buddy had never seen VH, so he was pumped....

I clearly remember how Cherone's gyrations were so over-the-top, it was embarrassing just to watch....

I went to a show on that tour. I guess is was curiosity but I always enjoyed Ed's playing. The whole band was right on the money and Ed played great. The only weak link was Gary. Man, too bad Dave didn't make that go around. Ed was on his game and the whole band really sounded great. Whoever did their house sound was tops too. Everything was good but Gary basically.

Nitro Express
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Seeing him play three-odd years ago, it was noticeable particularly on his solo spot, where the camera was focused solely on him and projecting images of him playing and displaying it on a large screen; his right hand looked clenched and cramped. He also looked half in the bag, which clearly wasn't working in his favor, either. But yeah, it looked like he was physically having trouble coordinating his picking with his fretting. Same deal when it came to the solo in Ice Cream Man and the Hot For Teacher intro. You could see he knew what the notes were, but just couldn't quite get it together.

Bit sad, really. By this point, it may well be just as much a function of his age...maybe the cumulative effects of many years of drug and alcohol abuse just exacerbating a certain amount of physical deterioration that naturally comes with age anyway.

Ed said he had his hand operated on in Germany. I noticed the same thing. He knows what to do but either his hand won't do it or something is wrong with the nerves. Heck, Ed could have had a stroke. I remember when my dad had his first one and the doctors made no big deal about it but it changed his personality and motor skills. He lost part of his vision and refused to fly an airplane after it happened because he felt he was no longer capable of flying safe. That was a huge deal because the man loved to fly. To the common observer it seems like nothing has happened but to the people that lives with that person they see the changes.

Seshmeister
11-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Yup, I saw VH III too...

I saw Cherone with Extreme three years ago and his onstage moves were still very odd.

It's just his (very) misjudged shtick.

He acts like a gay uncle with cerebral palsy on a wedding dance floor after taking some amphetamines for the first time.

Someone should tell him to stop it...

ZahZoo
11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
He acts like a gay uncle with cerebral palsy on a wedding dance floor after taking some amphetamines for the first time.

Someone should tell him to stop it...

You have a gift with words... even a lazy imagination could easily picture that description and it totally nails the gist of it all!! Well played!!

lesfunk
11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Cherone reminded me of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs when he tucked in his junk and posed in front of his camera

conmee
11-25-2011, 04:40 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

Thanks to Gary Cherone and that tour, I've been wiping my ass in a completely different way than I had been taught since toddlerhood. Quite honestly, by bending WAYYY forward like the video and reaching WAYYYY back, it really is the most efficient way to clean up post-deuce.

That is all.

Icon™ой

Bad Muthafucker
11-30-2011, 09:28 AM
You cannot blame us for wanting more. Nobody can.

Well said. I'll be in line at the music store the day the new CD comes out.