PDA

View Full Version : Van halen’s ‘hot for teacher’ covered on ‘glee’

Blaze
11-14-2011, 05:58 PM
:lever: Other people's music?

by: Matthew Wilkening 8 hours ago

Van Halen‘s ‘Hot for Teacher’ will be performed by the cast of ‘Glee‘ tomorrow night (Nov. 15), in yet another shocking and appalling example of popular television-on-classic rock crime. The song originally appeared on the band’s ’1984′ album, their last (so far) to feature original lead singer David Lee Roth.

If you’re thinking of cancelling whatever plans you had tomorrow night in hopes of seeing some faithful recreation of the band’s witty and titillating music video, well, don’t bother. Having been required to watch past episodes of this overly peppy and family-friendly show we can say it’s a safe bet that’s not happening.

In fact, according to our sister site PopCrush, the episode, entitled ‘Mash Off,’ reportedly centers on some intra-band rivalries, as different women from the McKinley High School singing group will be forced to face off while singing Mash-ups of various pop songs.

It does seems possible that ‘Hot for Teacher’ will be used in a logical context. The show’s synopsis reveals that Noah ‘Puck’ Puckerman (glee club singer / football player / faux-hawk wearer) will sing the song, and also will fall in love on tonight’s episode. So presumably, he becomes smitten with one of his teachers — maybe a new substitute? — and uses this song to express his exciting and confusing new emotions.

As you can hear, the ‘Glee’ band and singers don’t rearrange the track much, as they typically do in order to feature the group’s vocal talents. Instead, the band plays a faithful if somewhat canned rendition of the music while Puck proves to have about 3% of Roth’s charisma and charm.

Maybe the visuals will add something new. Sadly, we won’t know till Wednesday morning. We’re going to be rocking the heck out at a concert featuring Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society tomorrow night. But hey, by all means, let us know how this goes, will you?

Listen to Van Halen’s ‘Hot for Teacher’ by the ‘Glee’ Cast:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-hot-for-teacher-covered-on-glee/

http://wac.450F.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2011/11/Teacher.jpg

ThatArtGuy
11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. *cough*

Va Beach VH Fan
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I take it as a compliment to VH....

You don't see them covering Tears For Fears, do ya ??

VHscraps
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Ha! Been waiting for someone to pick up on that, so I can say ... there's always the terminally obscure versions by Lee Press-on and the Nails, which arguably have the spirit of DLR about them, at least. Probably more fun if you are there, than if you are watching / listening to these clips - both live clips, the second does't really gets started until about a minute in:

mohican
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
I take it as a compliment to VH....

You don't see them covering Tears For Fears, do ya ??

That's the up side. And this cover is better than Jump.

ThatArtGuy
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
It's also as sanitized and canned as a sealed tin of adhesive bandages.

DONNIEP
11-14-2011, 09:54 PM
I know the kid sang this song exactly like they told him to, but damn, even I could do better than that.

Unchainme
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Q3lSvhr3M

this cover just keeps proving what we've known about other frontmen in Van Halen...no one can match Diamond Dave's personality and charisma. It's what made Van Halen, Van Halen in my book.

FORD
11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't watch Glee, and have no interest in looking for it on YouTube, but I can't imagine it could be any worse than when one of those preppie fags on the old "Fame" show did a horrendous cover of the Sex Pistols "No Feelings".

DlocRoth
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Holy hit, that kid cant sing!

Funny how they used the sound effects and all though... ie. bottles, coughs and such.

Blaze
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't watch Glee, and have no interest in looking for it on YouTube, but I can't imagine it could be any worse than when one of those preppie fags on the old "Fame" show did a horrendous cover of the Sex Pistols "No Feelings".

I recall that show! I liked the song better. Fame is fun to sing. Some songs are just fun to sing!

TJMKID
11-15-2011, 03:08 PM
The band plays a faithful if somewhat canned rendition of the music while Puck proves to have about 3% of Roth’s charisma and charm.

That's about 3 times as much charisma as Sambo the Pussy Nugget ever had. :doh:

They should just be truthful and call the show "Glans" ---- a cast full of dickheads watched by dickheads

fryingdutchman
11-17-2011, 06:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Q3lSvhr3M

this cover just keeps proving what we've known about other frontmen in Van Halen...no one can match Diamond Dave's personality and charisma. It's what made Van Halen, Van Halen in my book.

It also highlights Mike's vocal contributions that simply can't be replaced.

High Life Man
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
For some reason, when I heard the harmonies, it reminded me of Weird Al.

Zing!
11-18-2011, 04:15 PM
What the hell is Glee?

ashstralia
11-18-2011, 04:44 PM
there is one very cool thing about the show 'glee'. her name is heather morris. google. :)

Rikk
11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I hate fucking Glee. Anyone who watches it should be dragged out in the street and kicked in the head until they have a traumatic brain injury. Then they should be kicked some more.

ashstralia
11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
well, i've never watched the show, just the ads. and i feel the same way about anyone who owns van hagar albums.:cheer:

VanHalenI
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Glee fucking sucks, they fucking ruined JUMP, now HOT FOR TEACHER? FUCK THAT SHOW!!!

VAiN
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
What the hell is Glee?

The gayest thing on television by a loooooong shot.

binnie
11-18-2011, 07:27 PM
It's a backhanded compliment, I guess.

I hear they're doing a glammed up version of 'Entrails Ripped From a Virgins Cunt' by Cannibal Corpse next week.