Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Best Van Halen Song of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golitely
    Roadie
    • Nov 2011

Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Best Van Halen Song of All Time?

Vote early, vote often

By Rolling Stone
    November 18, 2011 4:05 PM ET

David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen at the US Festival in California.Paul Natkin/WireImageEarlier this week, it came out that Van Halen has signed a record deal with Interscope and that they have plans to put out an album of new material in 2012. The news was further confirmed today with this curious photo of the band and Interscope Chairman Jimmy Iovine. This inspired us to ask you: What is your favorite Van Halen song of all time?

You can vote here in the comments, on facebook.com/rollingstone or on Twitter with the #weekendrock hashtag.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz1e8JJOpYR
  • Dan
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Fuck Rollingstones,End Of Story.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Sucks that you have to join Fascistbook in order to vote, so I'll have to pass.

But the correct answer, of course is......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Oh, and FUCK the sheep assholes who voted for Van Hagar shit.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

I don't have Facebook so I can't vote. But I would have to say Aint Talkin Bout Love. That riff is the most epic legendary riff ever. EVER!

Other than that, my personal favorite shifts with time. Right now it's Sinners Swing. For about a year previous it was Push Comes To Shove. Before that Unchained, etc, etc, etc.....always changing.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Funny thing about ATBL.... legend has it that Eddie wrote that riff originally as a response to the whole three chord punk rock thing. Didn't really expect anything to come from it.

But then Keith Richards claims he wrote the riff to "Satisfaction" in his sleep, and gave up on "Start Me Up" three different times before it finally made an album.

So ya never know which riffs are gonna be the real hits....even when you're the guy who writes 'em.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

where's HR69?

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Sucks that you have to join Fascistbook in order to vote, so I'll have to pass.

But the correct answer, of course is......

Game over.
                Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ashstralia
                  where's HR69?
                  Why? DIDJA MISS ME I'M BACK!!!!

My fave song of theirs is Loss Of Control. Simply because it is one of the fastest tunes they ever did. It has EVERYTHING Van Halen were known for. Ed's crazy kickass guitar-riff for the "verses" & incenidary guitar solos, incredible background vocals and rompin' stompin' bass lines courtesy of the ONLY REAL BASSIST OF VAN HALEN, Uncle Dave improvisational insanity, over the top high-energy slamming courtesy of Al.

Aside from that, I have so many favorite songs....Unchained, Mean Streets, Lighting Up The Sky, Romeo Delight, etc.

But Loss Of Control is my fave.
                  Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-19-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

And yes, I will NOT lower myself to the level of going to rollingstone.com.

That fucking magazine sucks fucking shit!

Comment

• VHscraps
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                      And yes, I will NOT lower myself to the level of going to rollingstone.com.

That fucking magazine sucks fucking shit!
                      It is almost a certainty that Van Halen will appear on the cover of Rolling Stone when the album comes out, and be lauded as real legends / a great American band - cuz all they care about is selling magazines.
                      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by VHscraps
                        It is almost a certainty that Van Halen will appear on the cover of Rolling Stone when the album comes out, and be lauded as real legends / a great American band - cuz all they care about is selling magazines.

Rolling Stone magazine only cares about itself. Why would they Care about The Mighty VH?
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• VHscraps
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2009

Romeo Delight - pure essence of VH in one tune.
                          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

"From 1978 til 1984 this was the ONLY band that mattered! THe Greatest American Hard Rock band of all time! and UNCHAINED is their greatest song!"

Friggin Sheep! And the usual "too cool for school" RS readers.......FUCK OFF!!!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Somebody Get Me A Doctor!!! And this is has to be my favorite performance of this song. Thank god for youtube cause you can't get this stuff no more...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...