PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Best Van Halen Song of All Time?

golitely
11-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Vote early, vote often

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/weekend-rock-question-what-is-the-best-van-halen-song-of-all-time-20111118?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

By Rolling Stone
November 18, 2011 4:05 PM ET

David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen at the US Festival in California.Paul Natkin/WireImageEarlier this week, it came out that Van Halen has signed a record deal with Interscope and that they have plans to put out an album of new material in 2012. The news was further confirmed today with this curious photo of the band and Interscope Chairman Jimmy Iovine. This inspired us to ask you: What is your favorite Van Halen song of all time?

You can vote here in the comments, on facebook.com/rollingstone or on Twitter with the #weekendrock hashtag.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/weekend-rock-question-what-is-the-best-van-halen-song-of-all-time-20111118#ixzz1e8JJOpYR

Dan
11-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Fuck Rollingstones,End Of Story.:monekyr::fighting0066::fighting10:

FORD
11-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Sucks that you have to join Fascistbook in order to vote, so I'll have to pass.

But the correct answer, of course is......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1d8BVvY-I

FORD
11-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Oh, and FUCK the sheep assholes who voted for Van Hagar shit. :sheepshagger:

sadaist
11-19-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't have Facebook so I can't vote. But I would have to say Aint Talkin Bout Love. That riff is the most epic legendary riff ever. EVER!

Other than that, my personal favorite shifts with time. Right now it's Sinners Swing. For about a year previous it was Push Comes To Shove. Before that Unchained, etc, etc, etc.....always changing.

FORD
11-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Funny thing about ATBL.... legend has it that Eddie wrote that riff originally as a response to the whole three chord punk rock thing. Didn't really expect anything to come from it.

But then Keith Richards claims he wrote the riff to "Satisfaction" in his sleep, and gave up on "Start Me Up" three different times before it finally made an album.

So ya never know which riffs are gonna be the real hits....even when you're the guy who writes 'em.

ashstralia
11-19-2011, 03:19 AM
where's HR69?

DlocRoth
11-19-2011, 03:36 AM

Game over.

Hardrock69
11-19-2011, 04:10 AM
where's HR69?

Why? DIDJA MISS ME I'M BACK!!!! :D

My fave song of theirs is Loss Of Control. Simply because it is one of the fastest tunes they ever did. It has EVERYTHING Van Halen were known for. Ed's crazy kickass guitar-riff for the "verses" & incenidary guitar solos, incredible background vocals and rompin' stompin' bass lines courtesy of the ONLY REAL BASSIST OF VAN HALEN, Uncle Dave improvisational insanity, over the top high-energy slamming courtesy of Al.

Aside from that, I have so many favorite songs....Unchained, Mean Streets, Lighting Up The Sky, Romeo Delight, etc.

But Loss Of Control is my fave.

Hardrock69
11-19-2011, 04:19 AM
And yes, I will NOT lower myself to the level of going to rollingstone.com.

That fucking magazine sucks fucking shit! :mad:

VHscraps
11-19-2011, 07:50 AM
And yes, I will NOT lower myself to the level of going to rollingstone.com.

That fucking magazine sucks fucking shit! :mad:

It is almost a certainty that Van Halen will appear on the cover of Rolling Stone when the album comes out, and be lauded as real legends / a great American band - cuz all they care about is selling magazines.

SunisinuS
11-19-2011, 07:54 AM
It is almost a certainty that Van Halen will appear on the cover of Rolling Stone when the album comes out, and be lauded as real legends / a great American band - cuz all they care about is selling magazines.

:(

Rolling Stone magazine only cares about itself. Why would they Care about The Mighty VH?

VHscraps
11-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Romeo Delight - pure essence of VH in one tune.

Matt White
11-19-2011, 09:09 AM
"From 1978 til 1984 this was the ONLY band that mattered! THe Greatest American Hard Rock band of all time! and UNCHAINED is their greatest song!"

Friggin Sheep! And the usual "too cool for school" RS readers.......FUCK OFF!!!!

DONNIEP
11-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Somebody Get Me A Doctor!!! And this is has to be my favorite performance of this song. Thank god for youtube cause you can't get this stuff no more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZzus86pdls

VAiN
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
To me it's either Romeo Delight or Unchained.. Both songs sum up what VH is all about to me.. 30 years old and still sound fresh.

ZahZoo
11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
For the classic 6-pack there is no "best song"... there's a gem or 4 on every dang album.

If CVH were a restaurant... there can't be a signature plate!! Make it a fucking buffet so I can get a little bit everything... it's that damn good!!! :thumb:

VAiN
11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
For the classic 6-pack there is no "best song"... there's a gem or 4 on every dang album.

If CVH were a restaurant... there can't be a signature plate!! Make it a fucking buffet so I can get a little bit everything... it's that damn good!!! :thumb:

well, everybody wants some....

hambon4lif
11-19-2011, 12:41 PM
"Running With The Devil"
The definitive Van Halen tune, the national anthem of the band, 3 minutes and 37 seconds of sonic brilliance that borders on a religious experience.
Within the first 2 seconds, your natural instinct is to turn the volume all the way up. My neighbors eventually went out and got their own copy to hear how it sounded on their stereo, and because I wouldn't lend it to 'em.
It may not be the 'fastest' Van Halen tune in the catalog, but it definitely has the most torque, it's much faster than it appears. It's a "push everyone out of the way 'cause they're going too fucking slow" song. Playing it in the car, I always get wherever I'm going at least 10 minutes quicker.
Every reason I became a fan of this band is in that song....right down to the attitude.

Livin' life like there's no tomorrow at a pace that kills? Fuckinay right, brutha!! Sign me up.

neuralfraud
11-19-2011, 06:18 PM
"Running With The Devil"
The definitive Van Halen tune, the national anthem of the band, 3 minutes and 37 seconds of sonic brilliance that borders on a religious experience.
Within the first 2 seconds, your natural instinct is to turn the volume all the way up. My neighbors eventually went out and got their own copy to hear how it sounded on their stereo, and because I wouldn't lend it to 'em.
It may not be the 'fastest' Van Halen tune in the catalog, but it definitely has the most torque, it's much faster than it appears. It's a "push everyone out of the way 'cause they're going too fucking slow" song. Playing it in the car, I always get wherever I'm going at least 10 minutes quicker.
Every reason I became a fan of this band is in that song....right down to the attitude.

Livin' life like there's no tomorrow at a pace that kills? Fuckinay right, brutha!! Sign me up.

Can't listen to that song without cracking up anymore thanks to this soundboard (http://www.celeb-soundboards.com/view/diamonddave.htm). Ever since that came out man.. i have to pick out each vocal part of the song and just picture it in my head..

And then you realize..

For that one song, DLR used every single opportunity to squeeze in as much personality as possible. That song is concentrated pure roth mojo!

TJMKID
11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
"Running With The Devil"

I can't think of a more perfect anthem to launch a legendary career. It had all the signature elements of VH --- jaw-dropping riff & solo, killer vocal harmonies, and swagger up the ass.

In other words ---- "We are Van Halen....we'll fuck your hot women....we'll snort all your coke and drink all your whiskey....and you'll be thanking us and sharing laughs about it."

SunisinuS
11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
"Running With The Devil"

It is the ringtone on my cellphone.

Even in front of clients it does not cease to delight.

SunisinuS
11-20-2011, 02:14 PM

I agree. Fucking Best.

Terry
11-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Romeo Delight and Unchained, I'd have to agree, are two of the most essential Van Halen songs...

For me, all I gots ta do is put on Sinner's Swing!

That song gets my blood pumping everytime.

Wouldn't bother participating in a Rolling Stone poll about Van Halen, though. That mag has always made its point of view clear about Van Halen, and Roth.

POJO_Risin
11-20-2011, 07:29 PM
No question...

Mean Street...

surprised it hasn't been brought up yet...

Unchained is to fall back choice...but for me...the top two...

Mean Street and I'm the One are the top two...and perhaps...DOA goes three for me...right now...and I'd actually have a couple of Diver Down tunes up there in the top five...Hang 'Em High at four...and Secrets at Five as my top "slow" song...

That's off the top of my head...

rocknrolldork
11-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Outta Love Again or Loss of Control or So This is Love or Atomic Punk or Light Up the Sky or Mean Street

All favs and depends on the day.

TAKIN WHISKEY
11-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Romeo Delight

Zing!
11-23-2011, 09:51 AM
1. Screw Rolling Stone.

2. The very essence of my life force can be crystallized and distilled into the second guitar solo in 'Bottoms Up!' Those flurry of bad-ass notes represents classic Van Halen and the 'brown sound' better than anything else for me. There is a strange juxtaposition of purity and raw power that is summed up perfectly from the first lightning strike note to the last earth-rumbling chord.

DLR Bridge
11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Hear About It Later. All 4 food groups are represented. Awesome rhythm/groove, awesome solo, awesome lyrics/vocals/harmonies and awesome attitude.

chefcraig
11-24-2011, 02:46 PM
"Take Your Whiskey Home", followed by "Fools", "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" and "Drop Dead Legs."