PDA

View Full Version : Rick Nielsen's Guitars

Nitro Express
11-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I can't believe he took some of those on the road. I wonder what that Modern is worth now?

Kristy
11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Too bad he can't play more than the same riff off of each and every one of them.

kwame k
11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
So.....No Cheap Trick tickets for your B-day then:biggrin:

Diamondjimi
11-30-2011, 09:30 PM

No, a jumbo pack of Ipecac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrup_of_ipecac) and Ex-lax should suffice... :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
11-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Cheap Trick smokes on many levels. Ironic that they too have gone down the nepotism road. Only Bunny voluntarily bagged playing live.

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Cheap Trick presented themselves as a band more than anyone one member out wanking themselves. They had some good songs. I actually liked their gimmicks. I loved how the drummer looked like some chain smoking 1970's burned out office worker and Rick had his thing going. I always wondered who made those custom sweaters for him and what a bitch of the thing to wear under all those hot stage lights. If you have ever stood on a big stage under a big lighting rig it's like being in a sun lamp. Really hot.

sadaist
12-01-2011, 01:17 PM

ooooh! me me me!

I'll take her tickets, use the extra for Kwame, AND pay for beers. Cheap Trick is maybe the best live band ever.

sadaist
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
see? (Although I give more props to Robin for their awesomeness)

jhale667
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
If you think about it, in addition to his vintage stash, wasn't Rick already playing cool-ass custom guitars slightly before EVH turned us on to the fact that we could build our own...?

DLR Bridge
12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Cheap Trick presented themselves as a band more than anyone one member out wanking themselves. They had some good songs. I actually liked their gimmicks. I loved how the drummer looked like some chain smoking 1970's burned out office worker and Rick had his thing going. I always wondered who made those custom sweaters for him and what a bitch of the thing to wear under all those hot stage lights. If you have ever stood on a big stage under a big lighting rig it's like being in a sun lamp. Really hot.

As a singer in my band days that I had hoped would never end some twelve years ago, I would do the Zander suit look. Sweat right through the jacket by mid first song thanks to those heat lamps. I think I'd lose about 4 or 5 lbs. a gig, then put it back on at a White Castle at 2:37 in the morning. Best of times.

Hardrock69
12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Loved Rick Neilsen just because seeing him play live meant I got to see some of the rarest axes there are in high-volume action. The only time I have ever actually seen a 58 Gibson Explorer played live, among other rarities.

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Loved Rick Neilsen just because seeing him play live meant I got to see some of the rarest axes there are in high-volume action. The only time I have ever actually seen a 58 Gibson Explorer played live, among other rarities.

Exactly! He took a risk taking them on the road but we got to enjoy them too. He could have just tucked them away in a secure location and sat on them. It was cool.

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
As a singer in my band days that I had hoped would never end some twelve years ago, I would do the Zander suit look. Sweat right through the jacket by mid first song thanks to those heat lamps. I think I'd lose about 4 or 5 lbs. a gig, then put it back on at a White Castle at 2:37 in the morning. Best of times.

Whenever I saw Rick up there in his sweater I always wondered how he kept from passing out. Most rock and rollers come out in full garb and they are down to no shirt by halfway through the set. Then you come off that stage into the cold air and have to put something on. It's a workout.

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
If you think about it, in addition to his vintage stash, wasn't Rick already playing cool-ass custom guitars slightly before EVH turned us on to the fact that we could build our own...?

I remember seeing his checkered Explorer for the first time and thinking how cool. It fascinated me that everything was perfectly checkered right down to the pickups. Yeah, I think Rick was one of the pioneers in custom guitars. I always liked the guys that had some talent but did something different instead of falling into the typical rock guitarist cliche. Rick was unique. The rocking out nerd. LOL!

jhale667
12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Exactly! He took a risk taking them on the road but we got to enjoy them too. He could have just tucked them away in a secure location and sat on them. It was cool.

Apparently, according to a friend who's been there, he DOES have a pretty awesome climate-controlled vault in his house that he keeps the good stuff in. :baaa:

kwame k
12-01-2011, 06:31 PM
ooooh! me me me!

I'll take her tickets, use the extra for Kwame, AND pay for beers. Cheap Trick is maybe the best live band ever.

Absolutely........:beers8:

1st concert I ever went to was Cheap Trick and I can't remember how many copies of Live at Budokan I've worn out over the years!

hambon4lif
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Ah...my homeboys!:rockon:

Cheap Trick makes this world a better place.

Fuckin' LOVE this band!!

Kristy
12-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Cheap Trick are ghey. Mega-ghey.

hambon4lif
12-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Cheap Trick are ghey. Mega-ghey.Put on a pointy hat and go sit in the fucking corner. You don't know shit!

moron asshole bitch!:dafinger:

Kristy
12-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Put on a pointy hat and go sit in the fucking corner. You don't know shit!

moron asshole bitch!:dafinger:

How rude!

Matt White
12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I've caught Cheap Trick twice.....

a couple summers ago at Summer fest in Milwaukee....the place was JAM packed....the Mid-West loves these guys....they kick ass & tour forever...and have played every dive known to man

The 1st time was at the (in)famous HARPO's in DETRIOT...they opened with "I want You"...and rocked like MOFOS for the rest of the night....one of those bands that are a MILLION times better live.......

Kristy
12-01-2011, 09:18 PM
They are more listenable than Zeppelin - slightly.

Matt White
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
They are more listenable than Zeppelin - slightly.

Only to the tone deaf! ;)

DLR Bridge
12-01-2011, 09:53 PM
If ghey means talented, creative, hard working, loyal, timeless, funny, serious, insane and plain old ass kickin' great, then I agree with you.

kwame k
12-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I've caught Cheap Trick twice.....

a couple summers ago at Summer fest in Milwaukee....the place was JAM packed....the Mid-West loves these guys....they kick ass & tour forever...and have played every dive known to man

The 1st time was at the (in)famous HARPO's in DETRIOT...they opened with "I want You"...and rocked like MOFOS for the rest of the night....one of those bands that are a MILLION times better live.......

HARPO's there's a blast from the past!

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Absolutely........:beers8:

1st concert I ever went to was Cheap Trick and I can't remember how many copies of Live at Budokan I've worn out over the years!

One of the first concerts I went to and the same on Live at Budokan.

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Cheap Trick are ghey. Mega-ghey.

This is gay? If the song was called "He's tight" I might agree with you.:biggrin:

Nitro Express
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Ah...my homeboys!:rockon:

Cheap Trick makes this world a better place.

Fuckin' LOVE this band!!

Yes it does and this world desperately needs it now.