X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

College Football is dead

ESPN has truly just killed it and buried in a shallow grave.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

What did ESPN do besides announce the bowl games?
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

ESPN unfortunately has an interest in 'Bama and LSU going to the game.

ESPN has the contract rights to the SEC Network and several ways of promoting the conference through various means through an 80 million dollar tv contract.

ESPN controls the money, thus ESPN is able to mold the way things are in college football. Conferences like the PAC Mountain West, B1G and Big XII minus Texas, they could give a shit about. The money they get is not nearly enough as the big jackpot they got from showing SEC teams.

Why worry about having a tournament or crowning any other conference champion, when you can continue to have your network be the home of a flawed championship, and to be the flagship station of the conference that dominates the conference.

ESPN is able to use it's pulpit to place people like Craig James, Mark May, and Kirk Herbstrait to trumpet the rematch, while not having one voice of opposition.

I believe the network is truly evil and is in dire need of competition.
      Last edited by Unchainme; 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

You have barely touched the iceberg. I noticed that ESPN employees are selling "corporate hospitality packages" in certain games that have manufactured limited (at best) seating with full sanction. It is truly shocking and the paper trail is amazingly revealing. Moreover, the sheer disregard for local daily labor is shocking.
        I have always been appalled at certain for profit venues expecting volunteerism, but the extent of hording profit is shocking. Moreover, the exploitation of the local coverage of "benefits" by low pay is morally wrong.

But what has been so eyeopening is how out of touch conglomerate corporations have become.
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

Keep in mind that the SEC is the only conference that has gone on record suggesting a 4 team playoff for the National Title but no other conference was interested. This was 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe this will actually get enough people pissed off to change the system. If we had a 4 team playoff now, you would have LSU playing Stanford and Bama vs Ok St to see who would play in the final game. Then, of course, you will have the number 5 and 6 teams crying because they didn't get in.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
            Veteran
            • Jun 2005

Comment

• Blaze
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

The amount of games being played is not angering. What is disturbing it how ESPN is channel stuffing seats, exploiting the local labor markets, and the cozy relationships with conglomerates that are in an already dubious financial spotlights.

Moreover, the recent notice of the sheer amount of profit made upon the collage football player's back with none given to any key players. The noticeable cost of sports teams in the credit/debit ratio to most collages that also do not share in the profit of ESPN and its associated conglomerates. It does appear to be a drain on academia. Moreover, it does appear to be a manufactured hype and the natural selection of local sports degenerated.
              "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
              sigpic

Comment

• Unchainme
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2005

It disgusts me the amount of sponsorships go on in college football, and that the "Student-Athletes" don't see a fucking penny.

I'm not against say, Coke being the official soft-drink of Ohio State athletics, so long as they go "Alright, part of the deal is...We'll give you guys free things of vitamin water/powerade to keep hydrated". THAT'S FINE. You may not be giving money directly to the student-athletes themselves, but at least they're helped by the process.

No, funding this and working with the ncaa to make sure these players don't get a single penny is fucking wrong. It's designed to keep the money in the pockets of a few rich old white guys and away from people actually playing the damn sport.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What really sucks is the corporate branding of bowl games. Buy as many fucking ads for the TV game as you want, but don't attach your filthy names to the game itself.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                    What really sucks is the corporate branding of bowl games. Buy as many fucking ads for the TV game as you want, but don't attach your filthy names to the game itself.
                    Hell yeah. Remember when we were younger and it was just the Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl?
                    Now corporations just come up with their own bowl game ala the Poulan Weedeater Bowl and the Emerald Nut Bowl.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

There just has gotten to be too much money in sports period. I remember Terry Bradshaw saying when he went to his first Superbowl the Steelers rode to it on a chartered bus and ate sack lunches. They were just happy they could make a living playing a game they loved. Now he said the teams fly charter jet and eat four star meals. He said college teams get more pampering now than what NFL players got in the 70's. It's just gotten nuts.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yep.... used to be three or four bowl games on New Years Day and that was it. And for a while there, the Dawgs were in the Rose Bowl damn near every year, so I never missed it. Another victim of NCAA east coast favoritism
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Little Texan
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                          Now corporations just come up with their own bowl game ala the Poulan Weedeater Bowl and the Emerald Nut Bowl.
                          Oh boy, I can't wait for the Kohler Toilet Bowl, Trojan Condom Bowl, Wolf Brand Chili Bowl, Preparation H Hemorrhoidal Cream Bowl and the Hanes Her Way Panty Bowl! Of course those are just some made up bowl names I came up with myself, but some of the actual bowl names are every bit as ridiculous as those.
                          Last edited by Little Texan; 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Little Texan
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I believe there is a way of combining the current BCS system, the bowl games, and a playoff system. Just use the year end BCS rankings to seed all the teams, use the dead period we have now between the end of the regular college season and the bowl games for the playoffs, and however the teams finish in the playoffs determines what bowl they play in, with the final two teams playing for the national title.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                              ESPN unfortunately has an interest in 'Bama and LSU going to the game.
                              Maybe, but you can't doubt both of these teams are the best two in the country right now. An LSU/'Bama matchup would never fly had either team lost just one more game. Then letting in Okie State would be undeniable.
                              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...