PDA

View Full Version : Dave Roth.....one classy motherfucker!

Diamondjimi
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
A dead honest answer. No shtick, no bs. Straight up Dave Roth! :thumb:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotImages/66/108046a_med.jpeg

Hardrock69
12-08-2011, 12:34 AM
He said it like it was! Class act all the way!

Northern Girl
12-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Ah...I remember it well...

the clip...the tour...the fighting...seems like yesterday...

Diamondjimi
12-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Nice jab at the sisters regarding their "German mentality" in making Dave their scapegoat....

Nitro Express
12-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Fucking Dutch nazis.

sadaist
12-08-2011, 02:30 AM
I saw the 5150 tour in San Diego and they did make more than a few rips towards Dave. I saw Dave on the EEAS tour & didn't hear a peep about VH.

Nitro Express
12-08-2011, 02:35 AM
It was Sam ragging on Dave. I've never heard Alex say a thing during a show and Ed rarely says anything. It was Sam but of course the Van Halens didn't stop him from doing so either.

The thing is, Dave never did anything to Sam to deserve the slagging. If anything Dave did Sam a favor by not being in the band. Sam's career would have faded in the 80's if he didn't get into VH.

Hardrock69
12-08-2011, 02:43 AM
LMFAO!

Still remember.....May of 86.....the hagaritas rolled through town. Crowd was going apeshit.....but only because it was Van Halen with a different singer.

Then on August 30th, Uncle Dave came to town. Good god....I was right up front.....General Admission so I fucking got CLOSE.

Dave made the hagaritas look bad. I mean, VH was still a cracking unit (3/4 of them anyway). But Dave came out with Sheehan, Vai and Bissonette, and the BIG ROCK Production with a million lights....fuck.....no competition at all.....

Zing!
12-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I've seen that clip a hundred times and I still think watching it now that it's the closest to the REAL Dave Roth we've ever seen or ever WILL see. Total honesty - and he has every right to be pissed off - without a hint of the rehearsed, phony 'Diamond Dave' persona.

indeedido
12-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Most honest interview I've ever seen from anyone. Bar none.

ZahZoo
12-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Dave's was a class act...

MA's was a class act...

Cherone was a class act...

Common denominator... Van Halens and Hagar. The Yin and Yang with a trail of party leftovers and used up ho's...

Heater
12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
So he holds a press conference to publicly state how he doesn't say anything in public about VH. That was at the height of his solo journey, it was a steady swan dive for the next 20 years. When any of these guys did interviews they were invariably asked about the split. And as time went on and Dave's star began to fade, ALL he talked about was VH. Yep, VH gave Sammy a boost, and without VH Dave was on his way to becoming an answer to a Trivial Pursuit question.

Matt White
12-08-2011, 09:16 AM
So he holds a press conference to publicly state how he doesn't say anything in public about VH. That was at the height of his solo journey, it was a steady swan dive for the next 20 years. When any of these guys did interviews they were invariably asked about the split. And as time went on and Dave's star began to fade, ALL he talked about was VH. Yep, VH gave Sammy a boost, and without VH Dave was on his way to becoming an answer to a Trivial Pursuit question.

1st off ass-hat Van Haggis hit the airwaves first...in both Spin magazine and Rollingstone....pissing and crying about "mean 'ol Uncle Dave"......

Dave took the high road....until van haggis toured & tried to make light of DAVE on every tour stop...grabbing a kid out of the crowd to sing jump...because Spam was too insecure to have a go at it.....

And as popular taste shifted....with the coming of Grunge...ALL 80's acts dropped off...including your cheddar loving pals.......

So do us a favor.....blow it out your cakehole..............

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?40,file=32151,filename=1.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
oh...an interview from 1986!!! Hurrah! let's discuss it for the 10000000000000000000000000000001 time...

Heater
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
OK Matty, sorry to piss you off about your boyfriend. if he took the high road he wouldn't be saying anything, right? But he did. Kinda has a crybaby tone to it, waaaa they're being mean to me. Don't know why you or so many others even love Jump, but having a kid come up on stage means he was intimidated? OK. maybe he chose not to sing it because he knew that as time went on Dave would make that his trademark and sing that at a stop sign if 8 people would listen, kinda like his last few club tours. The way you defend him to the end is sweet, gotta love his Sam Kinison "I'm not bald under here" beret. saucy.

jhale667
12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
LMFAO!

Still remember.....May of 86.....the hagaritas rolled through town. Crowd was going apeshit.....but only because it was Van Halen with a different singer.

Then on August 30th, Uncle Dave came to town. Good god....I was right up front.....General Admission so I fucking got CLOSE.

Dave made the hagaritas look bad. I mean, VH was still a cracking unit (3/4 of them anyway). But Dave came out with Sheehan, Vai and Bissonette, and the BIG ROCK Production with a million lights....fuck.....no competition at all.....

Exactly. Saw both tours that year, and - no matter how much of an EVH fan I was/am - Roth DESTROYED them by comparison. And the only VH reference DLR made the entire show was to, after the opening number ("Shy Boy") ask - "So....what d'ya think of the new band SO FAR?" :killer:

jhale667
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
And notice if you took away Bleater's Spammy obsession, Dave-envy, and hair jokes all you'd have is a self-loathing douche who shows up daily at the fan site of someone he despises with a "Kick Me" sign on... :tool:

Matt White
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
OK Matty, sorry to piss you off about your boyfriend. if he took the high road he wouldn't be saying anything, right? But he did. Kinda has a crybaby tone to it, waaaa they're being mean to me. Don't know why you or so many others even love Jump, but having a kid come up on stage means he was intimidated? OK. maybe he chose not to sing it because he knew that as time went on Dave would make that his trademark and sing that at a stop sign if 8 people would listen, kinda like his last few club tours. The way you defend him to the end is sweet, gotta love his Sam Kinison "I'm not bald under here" beret. saucy.

You got it bleater....if you'd listened to the dude you'd realize he spoke up AFTER the sisters & Spammy bad-mouthed him for 6-7 months...to the press & to the fans...

And like J said...EUAS kicked the SHIT out of the 5150 tour....

Keep rocking out to the soccer mom anthems little man..............

http://www.suck.com/daily/99/07/02/f.gif

FORD
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Uh oh Bleater's had too much caffeine again.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdF_BFYf8Sk

Nitro Express
12-08-2011, 02:25 PM
LMFAO!

Not the best quality but here's some footage of that magical tour. Van Halen just came off it's biggest successful album and tour. Dave was ready to take full advantage of the situation and the brothers wanted to stay home. So Dave does some solo projects and out of necessity he had to form a new band. Dave always did say Van Halens got farther away from him by standing still. It's not exactly like the VH brothers get anything accomplished on their own. How many years has it been?

Hardrock69
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Sheeple......using valuable resources like air, water and food....that could better go to......uh.....brain-dead squirrel monkeys?

Terry
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
oh...an interview from 1986!!! Hurrah! let's discuss it for the 10000000000000000000000000000001 time...

hey, why not?

unless/until a new album is released, nothing the band is doing today is worth talking about ; )

Terry
12-08-2011, 09:04 PM
The one thing Roth never did was slag the accomplishments of Van Halen when he was in the band, in terms of putting down other members and their contributions.

The Van Halens went out of their way to clearly state that Roth had been holding the band back, and that the band was better now that he was gone.

Regardless of if one agrees with that or not, it was always odd that the Van Halens would potentially alienate their fans when they were getting ready to go forward with a new singer. I mean, getting fans to accept lineup changes are tricky enough to begin with. Say that the guy is a dick on a personal level if you must, but to blather such things as "The old band [with Roth] was just a tester model"...stupid. And then there's Hagar chiming in and agreeing with them before note one of the first album with Hagar has even been heard yet.

5150 was a letdown. A few months later, EEAS was released and just fucking decimated Van Hagar. For all the aspects of EEAS that haven't held up well for me as the years have gone by, the results weren't even close. And this is taking into account that Roth had to form a new band from scratch and didn't use any of the material he had been working on with Van Halen in the months leading up to his departure as a springboard, to boot.

SunisinuS
12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
The one thing Roth never did was slag the accomplishments of Van Halen when he was in the band, in terms of putting down other members and their contributions.

The Van Halens went out of their way to clearly state that Roth had been holding the band back, and that the band was better now that he was gone.

Regardless of if one agrees with that or not, it was always odd that the Van Halens would potentially alienate their fans when they were getting ready to go forward with a new singer. I mean, getting fans to accept lineup changes are tricky enough to begin with. Say that the guy is a dick on a personal level if you must, but to blather such things as "The old band [with Roth] was just a tester model"...stupid. And then there's Hagar chiming in and agreeing with them before note one of the first album with Hagar has even been heard yet.

5150 was a letdown. A few months later, EEAS was released and just fucking decimated Van Hagar. For all the aspects of EEAS that haven't held up well for me as the years have gone by, the results weren't even close. And this is taking into account that Roth had to form a new band from scratch and didn't use any of the material he had been working on with Van Halen in the months leading up to his departure as a springboard, to boot.

It was a sad time in Rock and Roll.

i never figure anyone should like me

People that do...have to understand how that is so like them.

Diamondjimi
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/1Suckasspost.jpg

Diamondjimi
12-08-2011, 11:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/SheepBoot.jpg

ZahZoo
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Some say drug and alcohol abuse at early ages especially pre and early teens slows or stalls critical brain maturity that promotes more adult behaviors and rational thinking...

In 85/86 these guys were all around 30 and Hagar mid-30's... Dave seemed relatively rational and mature at this time when he wasn't in show-biz mode. But the Van Halens clearly were operating like a couple of punk-assed 14 year olds and Hagar not far removed either.

Thankfully 25 years later Ed seems to have matured somewhere to the equivalent of an insecure cocky 22 year old... Hagar still thinks he's 17 writing love ballads and sexual innuendo pieces hinting at morning wood...

jhale667
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/SheepBoot.jpg

That NEVER GETS OLD... :lol:

Starwood
12-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Starwood has never seen this one....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dan
12-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Starwood has never seen this one....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

If You Dont Like It,Then Fuck Off.:D

Starwood
12-10-2011, 01:20 AM
If You Dont Like It,Then Fuck Off.:D

You're mean, Nad. Like that. Starwood is amused.

TJMKID
12-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Hagar still thinks he's 17 writing love ballads and sexual innuendo pieces hinting at morning wood...

The lyrics to "Up for Breakfast" is clear evidence that Hagarita needs to be expelled from the RNR Hall of Fame ---- he never deserved to be there in the first place.

Starwood
12-10-2011, 02:53 AM
The lyrics to "Up for Breakfast" is clear evidence that Hagarita needs to be expelled from the RNR Hall of Fame ---- he never deserved to be there in the first place.

He ruined our band and we can't change history. BUT...we can sit back and watch him pick up where he left off and laugh...one, two, three lock box...it's been pure comedy for years.

ashstralia
12-10-2011, 03:03 AM
i often wonder 'what would've the EEAS band's 5th album sounded like?'

cool, i reckon. ah well...

Zing!
12-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Nothin for nothin - but what the hell else are we supposed to talk about in the world of Van Halen? Val's cellulite on Craig Ferguson? How dusty the EVH factory is? We're all just killing time until Ed's handlers shuffle him down from Howdy Doody Mountain and back onstage.

FORD
12-11-2011, 01:27 AM
i often wonder 'what would've the EEAS band's 5th album sounded like?'

cool, i reckon. ah well...

5th album? Hell, I'm still waiting to hear what their 2nd album sounded like.

(That would be the less cheesy version of Skyscraper that Billy Sheehan claims to have locked away in a vault somewhere. He really should upload that thing to a torrent site)

Unchainme
12-11-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PTsI-CtYCM

"And there was all these signs that read "David Lee Who""

who were these toolbags?

hambon4lif
12-12-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PTsI-CtYCM

"And there was all these signs that read "David Lee Who""

who were these toolbags?I wondered that too until I figured out the banners were made by the band themselves.
Their album had only been out 3 weeks when these things were being thrown onstage at their shows. How would anyone be so enthusiastic over a version of the band they hardly know? Not only that, but how would anyone be so enthusiastic about a Van Halen without Roth? At the time, it was too new of a concept, and just too damn impossible to imagine. (it still is. :thumb:)

They handpicked a few people, and gave them banners to throw onstage during the show.
They weren't smart enough to realize that when the same identical banner gets tossed onstage in Chicago as well as L.A., someone would notice. D'oh!
The only thing that isn't certain is if the band sat around in a circle with bedsheets and magic markers and created them on their own.
What is certain is that these same 6 or 7 banners were every bit a part of their show as Ed's solo. Those things went out on the road with them.

spiteful punks

GreenBayLA
12-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I remember it like yesterday, Eddie, Alex et al were trashing Dave and forcing a choice. I chose
Dave and never looked back.

conmee
12-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about even after all these years... I still contend that Rick Allen's Left Arm leaving Def Leppard was FAR FAR FAR more devastating than Van Halen replacing DLR with Samuel. I mean at least DLR was replaced...

That is all.

Icon™©®

Heater
12-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Wasn't part of the rift that Dave wanted to make a movie? Then he lost the backing for it or something. Wasn't his ego out of control because his EP sold, POS that it was? Thought he was invincible, believed his own press, then lit the fuse that burned for 27 summers, all hair jokes aside. Then, after a quick decade or so of whining about getting back in, well, you know the rest. Slam Ed all you want, he has lifted Dave from obscurity TWICE! TWICE!

Unchainme
12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Wasn't part of the rift that Dave wanted to make a movie? Then he lost the backing for it or something. Wasn't his ego out of control because his EP sold, POS that it was? Thought he was invincible, believed his own press, then lit the fuse that burned for 27 summers, all hair jokes aside. Then, after a quick decade or so of whining about getting back in, well, you know the rest. Slam Ed all you want, he has lifted Dave from obscurity TWICE! TWICE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkhT0wGTBxM

Dan
12-12-2011, 01:28 AM

Damn,Reading Your BS Makes Me Want To Sleep.:rolleyes:

Unchainme
12-12-2011, 01:31 AM

Like counting sheep, eh dan? :D

Hardrock69
12-12-2011, 01:40 AM
I wondered that too until I figured out the banners were made by the band themselves.
Their album had only been out 3 weeks when these things were being thrown onstage at their shows. How would anyone be so enthusiastic over a version of the band they hardly know? Not only that, but how would anyone be so enthusiastic about a Van Halen without Roth? At the time, it was too new of a concept, and just too damn impossible to imagine. (it still is. :thumb:)

They handpicked a few people, and gave them banners to throw onstage during the show.
They weren't smart enough to realize that when the same identical banner gets tossed onstage in Chicago as well as L.A., someone would notice. D'oh!
The only thing that isn't certain is if the band sat around in a circle with bedsheets and magic markers and created them on their own.
What is certain is that these same 6 or 7 banners were every bit a part of their show as Ed's solo. Those things went out on the road with them.

spiteful punks

??? Seriously? The exact same banners? At multiple shows? First time I have heard of this. Would not surprise me though.

Hardrock69
12-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Well, yes since bleater IS a sheep, after all.....

Northern Girl
12-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Brethren and Sistren,

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about even after all these years... I still contend that Rick Allen's Left Arm leaving Def Leppard was FAR FAR FAR more devastating than Van Halen replacing DLR with Samuel. I mean at least DLR was replaced...

That is all.

Icon™©®

LOL. Hey, you're funny sometimes! ;)

ZahZoo
12-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Wasn't there a member here or DDLR.com with the user name Rick Allen's Left Arm..?

ThrillsNSpills
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Wasn't there a member here or DDLR.com with the user name Rick Allen's Left Arm..?

Pleasure Dome.
May have been at DDLR too.

ThrillsNSpills
12-12-2011, 10:16 AM

so well that the people at Sominex are pissed.

Heater
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Reading the SAME "Dave is our king, all hail Dave" shit is pretty tiring too. But funny, he is the perfect man in your eyes, it makes you sad, sad, sad if everyone doesn't see him the way you do. then you start with the names, clever names though--Sheep? Comic GOLD boys! you hate those who don't love Dave the way you do, if such a thing is possible. You Are here to defend his honor, you KNOW him, you have his back and according to some, he would love to have your back! you plug away for Dave, weave through the craziness, comb over every bit of Rothness. Fight for your man ladies!

Va Beach VH Fan
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Yup, I believe it was in the previous database....

Va Beach VH Fan
12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Reading the SAME "Dave is our king, all hail Dave" shit is pretty tiring too. But funny, he is the perfect man in your eyes, it makes you sad, sad, sad if everyone doesn't see him the way you do. then you start with the names, clever names though--Sheep? Comic GOLD boys! you hate those who don't love Dave the way you do, if such a thing is possible. You Are here to defend his honor, you KNOW him, you have his back and according to some, he would love to have your back! you plug away for Dave, weave through the craziness, comb over every bit of Rothness. Fight for your man ladies!

They've all got their faults, and to claim that any of them don't is being disingenuous....

hambon4lif
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Reading the SAME "Dave is our king, all hail Dave" shit is pretty tiring too. But funny, he is the perfect man in your eyes, it makes you sad, sad, sad if everyone doesn't see him the way you do. then you start with the names, clever names though--Sheep? Comic GOLD boys! you hate those who don't love Dave the way you do, if such a thing is possible. You Are here to defend his honor, you KNOW him, you have his back and according to some, he would love to have your back! you plug away for Dave, weave through the craziness, comb over every bit of Rothness. Fight for your man ladies!It's like I can see exactly what goes on in your house.......

"Hater!! Get off that computer and take out the garbage!!"

"Not now, Mom!! I'm busy on a Dave Roth site hatin'!!"

As sad and pathetic as that is, it still doesn't keep me from laughing at it.....

ThrillsNSpills
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Heater is bringing the sour, meanwhile Dave is bringing the fun

hambon4lif
12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Up until Hater registered here and started posting, I thought the "I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend" was just some line Roth would say onstage....
....evidently, somebody's girlfriend actually got plugged!

A personal vendetta must be a bitch of a thing to live with.

Terry
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM

I think Roth wanting to make a movie was part of the rift. That's a fair assertion. I would rather have seen that come to fruition than hearing Roth sing over the bulk of the music that ended up on 5150.

I'm sure his ego was out of control. I personally don't think his 1985 solo EP is among the best stuff he's ever done.

A case can be made that Ed gave Dave a career boost with the 1996 BOV1 tracks. It was a pretty short lived boost, and by the time Roth rejoined in 2006, Ed's career was just as cratered as Roth's.

aesop
12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I think Roth wanting to make a movie was part of the rift. That's a fair assertion. I would rather have seen that come to fruition than hearing Roth sing over the bulk of the music that ended up on 5150.

Wow I totally agree there. 5150 was barely listenable then, and now sounds so dated along with any other mid-80's trash pop music that was technicolor-yawned through the airwaves back then. And a few weeks back, I queued up Summer Nights on Youtube. It hasn't aged well at all. You know how some songs manage to get better with age? That terrible album, with it's now woefully outdated sound (unlike the 6-pack, which still fucking rocks and sounds fresh thanks to TT, stands the test of time very well) can only he held as an example of how bad an album someone can make when a key member leaves.

The only other thing this reminds me of is when DeGarmo left QR...then came....Q2K...

Fairwrning
12-12-2011, 09:28 PM
25 years later and Sammy still holds a grudge...mentions Van Halen all the time.Roth and co. never mention Hagar..Hell..Roth and co never mention Van Halen..

FORD
12-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Maybe Bleater is Hagar's kid?

ZahZoo
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Pleasure Dome.
May have been at DDLR too.

Geez... the VH/Roth board history is gettin old... along with all of us...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Pleasure Dome was a joke from Day 1....

Karma Points were the most ridiculous things...