PDA

View Full Version : Serious question - what drums should I get for my daughter's Wii?

DONNIEP
12-08-2011, 10:53 PM
My daughter is 11 and plays her Wii Guitar Hero games constantly - she loves the thing, even though I put a VH replica faceplate on her guitar (she wanted something "more girly" :) ). Anyway, she wants a set of drums to go with it. I know exactly jack shit about the different drum kits and what works with what. Sooooo, I humbly kneel before you all and ask your wisdom and advice. A couple of questions:

1. Which drum kit should I buy - do they all interface with the different games? Like, do the Rock Band drums work with the Guitar Hero games?

2. Are these things supposed to be like 3 and 4 hundred bucks for just the drums alone??? Amazon has plenty but the cheapest, supposedly "new" kit is like $250.00. Is that right? A guy at the local Game Stop said nobody - nobody - is making these drum kits these days. Maybe that explains the high cost, not to mention it being Christmas time?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

LoungeMachine
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Please, do your daughter a favor and buy her real drums....

www.craigslist.org

She's showing real interest in music, don't spoil it by caving to the Wii/Guitar hero BS.......

Who knows, she may join the next Runaways.

You can find a REAL used starter kit locally for $200 or less.......

Thanks,

The Entire Musical World

DONNIEP
12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Please, do your daughter a favor and buy her real drums....

www.craigslist.org

She's showing real interest in music, don't spoil it by caving to the Wii/Guitar hero BS.......

Who knows, she may join the next Runaways.

You can find a REAL used starter kit locally for $200 or less.......

Thanks,

The Entire Musical World

Thanks LM!!!

LoungeMachine
12-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Seriously dude.....

Any music autobiography story you read, starts with: one Christmas my dad bought me a set of drums....

Then show her she can play along to music vids, Youtube, etc......

:gulp:

She will never forget it.....neither will you.

DONNIEP
12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Seriously dude.....

Any music autobiography story you read, starts with: one Christmas my dad bought me a set of drums....

Then show her she can play along to music vids, Youtube, etc......

:gulp:

She will never forget it.....neither will you.

Seriously, I had no idea you could pick up a real kit that cheap. I have a good friend that was in the biz for over 10 years, drummer for Sugar Creek, great guy, and even he was like "a thousand bucks" for a cheap, knock-around-kit. I'd much rather listen to her playing the real thing, rather than her playing a 400 dollar POS.

FORD
12-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Show her this, as an example of how real drums are so much better than any video game.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRI_13xVlKw

DONNIEP
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Damn, it's a good thing she didn't want candy cigarettes in her stocking :yo:

Nitro Express
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
You probably already have the drums. Get some five gallon buckets out of the shed or garage and the pots and pans are in the kitchen.

kwame k
12-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Gonna go with the consensus here.......

Get the real thing, go cheap at first and if she stays with it, upgrade.

SparkieD
12-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Got my daughter a mini kit when she was 6. She played it so much she upgraded to a "real" kit less than a year later. At 13, she's already on "real" kit #2.

(Sugarcreek? I knew those dudes.)

BITEYOASS
12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
And if you wanna get a really good drum kit for her, then just sell the Wii. :biggrin: :drum:

DONNIEP
12-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Got my daughter a mini kit when she was 6. She played it so much she upgraded to a "real" kit less than a year later. At 13, she's already on "real" kit #2.

(Sugarcreek? I knew those dudes.)

So you know Sugar Creek??? I'm not surprised, seeing how they were a staple on the Strand back in the 80s. The Magic Attic baby!!!

SparkieD
12-18-2011, 02:19 AM
So you know Sugar Creek??? I'm not surprised, seeing how they were a staple on the Strand back in the 80s. The Magic Attic baby!!!

I never got into the Attic much. I hung out down the street at Castaways. Better bands and booze (even though I was underage it was easy to get.) Sugarcreek used to go there after their gigs at the MA. I still see their singer Tim around fairly often.

Check a Game Stop for Wii drums if you must.