PDA

View Full Version : Metal Evolution on VH-1

Carloscda
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
They interviewed Mikey.
George Lynch, once other guitarist got wind of Eddie we were devastated!
Vince Neil, I looked up to Dave he was the man!

Would've been great if Dave was interviewed!

Throughout the series VH has been mentioned a number of times by other bands inspired by them.

Carloscda
12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
@2:18
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:vh1.com:720648/cp~vid%3D720648%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Avh1.c om%3A720648" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0px;padding:4px;width:500px;text-align:center;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">TV Shows</a> - <a href="http://www.vh1.com/video/full_episodes.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Full Episode Video</a> - <a href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Reality TV Shows</a></div>

Dave's Bitch
12-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Nope cant play it

Va Beach VH Fan
12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Great pic outside the Whisky at 3:25...

Carloscda
12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Nope cant play it

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/720648/metal-evolution-episode-5-glam-show-clip.jhtml#id=1676196

Terry
12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Van Halen inspired a lot of LA bands who broke big commercially in the 1980s.

The sad part is contrasting that with Van Halen. The Van Halens and Roth were influenced by Zeppelin, the Stones, Cream, Black Sabbath, dance music...a wide scope of musical styles. Van Halen took those influences and created something of their own that, IMO, stood up alongside the artists and acts that influenced them.

The LA/MTV glam hairpop bands Van Halen influenced by and large never even came close to coming up with anything that was as compelling as what Van Halen did. Seemingly all they grasped were the flashier aspects of Van Halen (outre frontman, guitar histrionics), and bypassed the substance.

Dave's Bitch
12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/720648/metal-evolution-episode-5-glam-show-clip.jhtml#id=1676196

Grazie

Hummarstra
12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Why is there 5x times footage dedicated to Crue than VH? That's what I hate about this doc series. I think the host really missed the mark on some of this.

Heater
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
VH were the breakout band from that era and Ed was the new guitar hero. that his style was emulated speaks to his innovativeness but also showed how gimmicky much of his playing was. Ed wasn't the first to tap, he was the first to tap A LOT, he is probably the only guitarist to ever wear out a whammy bar, no body used one as much as him. What elevated Ed was his song writing and ability to come up with those riffs. his solos are very formulaic and remarkably similar. when anybody else did the hammer tap they were automatically branded as an Eddie clone. Pete Townsend once said thathe thought Ed had taken the electric guitar as far as it could go. Roth once said, while commenting about the solo in Beat It that Ed went out and "played the same solo he always does". Fairly true but also loaded with sour grapes at Ed eclipsing Dave, which was becoming known when Dave would bitch about Ed putting his solo pieces on the albums. Roth tried to veto Cathedral yet added little to Diver Down as it is half covers. Other singers realized that Dave raised the bar as far as being a performer, but no one ever aped or referred to his singing as inspirational, he seems to want to take credit for inventing blonde hair, OK, but his schtick got tired and while others evolved, he began to become an example in self parody.

Unchainme
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Fuck off Sheep.

Satan
12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Satan Claus is going to put a big red hot lump of coal in Bleater's stocking.....and then beat him upside his empty sheep skull with it.

http://static.betazeta.com/img.chw.net/foro/customavatars/avatar6352_1.gif

Terry
12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Why is there 5x times footage dedicated to Crue than VH? That's what I hate about this doc series. I think the host really missed the mark on some of this.

It's usually the rock stars who will take the time to sit down with the shows that end up getting the bulk of the footage concentrated on them.

Although in the case of this particular documentary, I certainly wouldn't consider Van Halen an 80's L.A. glam hair metal band, so devoting much of the time to Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken, Poison and Warrant seems appropriate.

Matt White
12-21-2011, 10:42 PM
VH were the breakout band from that era and DAVID LEE ROTH made it happen. Notice that it was DAVE (according to Mike Anthony, a reliable source & noted expert of hot sauce who says so) that MADE Speddie von Halen turn his back to the crowd so George Lynch wouldn't rip him off. Come to think of it, without DAVID LEE ROTH the von Halen's would have been just another Quiet Riot...and decent band with a hot-shot guitar player. It took DAVID LEE ROTH to turn them into SuperStars!!!!.

Well said Bleater........

now......back to THE PEN......

Va Beach VH Fan
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Well, that WAS the Glam Metal portion of the documentary, and the host made the case that it was VH that paved the way for the others from the Sunset Strip....

AND, let's not forget that VH was highlighted for about 5 minutes on I believe the 1st episode.....

Unchainme
12-21-2011, 11:33 PM
It's unfair of people to immediately equal CVH to Hair Metal.

listening to groups like Smashing Pumpkins and Pantera you can hear so much of the old school Van Halen in their music. Maybe not the lyrics, but definitively the music.

Heater
12-22-2011, 10:17 AM
In DownLowRoth's case, shouldn't it be Hairplug Metal?

twonabomber
12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
weak...

when the hair affects the sound through the speakers, or the words on the lyrics sheet, then you'll have a valid argument.

sonrisa salvaje
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't see Van Halen, Ratt or Dokken as glam metal. It was pretty tough for any of these bands to have radio friendly hits. Motley did have more radio play especially by the time they got to Dr. Feelgood but had they stayed on the Shout at the Devil path they would never would have been in the glam conversation. Now Poison, Warrant, Winger, White Lion and so on were definitely glam because they were obvious sell outs and you could take 75% of their music and put it on the radio. To me, even though Van Halen continued to be popular in the 80's, they will always be a 70's band to me simply because their first 2 records came in the 70's and Van Halen I is the gem of their catelog.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Folks, again, the host was NOT making the claim that VH was Glam.... He was NOT.....

He made the claim that based on VH's huge success, AND the fact that they buttered their bread on the Sunset Strip, that gave the other Sunset Strip bands incentive to make it big as well....

But what made the Glam bands different from VH was that the substance of Glam bands' music was nowhere near what VH produced with DLR.... They came out with their makeup, poofy hair and spandex, but their actual music was more Top 40 rock, as opposed to the intricate productions that VH provided.....

sadaist
12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
It's unfair of people to immediately equal CVH to Hair Metal.

listening to groups like Smashing Pumpkins and Pantera you can hear so much of the old school Van Halen in their music. Maybe not the lyrics, but definitively the music.

Yeah, but it's understandable if you step back from the hardcore fan position. Most people know VH from 1984, 85, 86 with Jump, Panama, HFT and hear those songs & see those videos. If that was all you knew you would lump them in with all the others that spawned about that time. People base their opinions on what they know from MTV and NOT Tower Records like most of us here.

Dan
12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Bull-Shit,Doesnt Play In My Country.:(

ZahZoo
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
The whole "Glam" classification is a bit murky. You could say KISS was an early pioneer in the let's play dress up and perform music genre. But I'd say they were more of a comic book, super hero slant. Musically... blue-collar hard rock.

Then there's the pretty boy, girl's makeup, strange hair and gender bender costumes of Prince and David Bowe. Musically eclectic space rock with some homo tendencies...

Early on Van Halen wasn't much out on any bleeding edge of rock star fashions. Pretty mainstream... then as their 78 tour progressed Dave started shifting from jeans and tight leather britches to some spandex pants. This shifted into the early 80's and spandex britches evolved to more feminine spandex dance tights with the addition of leg warmers, scarfs... which was at the time the popular attire of women in the 80's disco/pop dance scene. Then add Ed's knickers and striped socks... demented elf on crack look... So do we call that Glam?

Motley Crue... took on the biker from the Village People look, added BDSM accessories, fishnets and then girls makeup and big hair styles... in line with the gutter trash look their music came and stayed in that zone too...

There's been times my hetro manhood has been challenged by me claiming to be a Dave fan... especially with some of the crap he chose to wear. If it weren't for the music and kick ass party attitude I probably would have never been a fan...

chefcraig
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Ever notice how Pearl Jam's "Even Flow" steals about 85% of Ted Nugent's "Free For All?" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkbgtVFlyCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGzXw8-lC0&feature=fvsr

Heater
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Zahzo, exactly! after Dave "left" VH, his look got more peculiar by the day. Leotards, leg warmers, fey dance moves. Nothing he was doing then stood out, he was very pop sounding and any vestige of a heavy metal/hard rock edge was gone. His early solo success waned fairly fast and he did the thing he knew best, camp it up. a clear example of selling the sizzle instead of the steak. He may have blazed the trail for future lead singers, unfortunately, he came back down the trail skipping and throwing pixie dust. that's what he did, you can't deny it. But put down your transformer dolls and tell me how wrong I am.

Terry
12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
The whole "Glam" classification is a bit murky. You could say KISS was an early pioneer in the let's play dress up and perform music genre. But I'd say they were more of a comic book, super hero slant. Musically... blue-collar hard rock.

Then there's the pretty boy, girl's makeup, strange hair and gender bender costumes of Prince and David Bowe. Musically eclectic space rock with some homo tendencies...

Early on Van Halen wasn't much out on any bleeding edge of rock star fashions. Pretty mainstream... then as their 78 tour progressed Dave started shifting from jeans and tight leather britches to some spandex pants. This shifted into the early 80's and spandex britches evolved to more feminine spandex dance tights with the addition of leg warmers, scarfs... which was at the time the popular attire of women in the 80's disco/pop dance scene. Then add Ed's knickers and striped socks... demented elf on crack look... So do we call that Glam?

Motley Crue... took on the biker from the Village People look, added BDSM accessories, fishnets and then girls makeup and big hair styles... in line with the gutter trash look their music came and stayed in that zone too...

There's been times my hetro manhood has been challenged by me claiming to be a Dave fan... especially with some of the crap he chose to wear. If it weren't for the music and kick ass party attitude I probably would have never been a fan...

I'd say the EEAS through Skyscraper period was Roth's most egregious, in terms of wearing feminine-looking stage wear.