X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

RUDY SARZO Talks About 30th Anniversary Of RANDY RHOADS' Death

2012 will mark the 30th anniversary of the death of OZZY OSBOURNE/ex-QUIET RIOT guitarist Randy Rhoads. Bassist Rudy Sarzo, who played with Rhoads in both Ozzy's band and QUIET RIOT, spoke to Artisan News at last month's Dimebash event about the legacy of Randy Rhoads as the anniversary of his passing approaches (see video below).

"Randy had a lot of influences, but you would never really hear them when you would hear him play, 'cause he was such a unique performer and composer that everything he did sounded like Randy Rhoads," Sarzo said. "Even when the few occasions that he was playing BLACK SABBATH songs in the set, it would sound like Randy playing BLACK SABBATH songs."

On March 19, 1982, Randy Rhoads, the then-lead guitarist for OZZY OSBOURNE, and two others were killed at Flying Baron Estates, just outside Leesburg, Florida, when their small plane struck Osbourne's tour bus, then crashed into a mansion.

When asked about what he remembers about that fateful day in 1982 when Randy was killed, Sarzo said, "I like to think about Randy while he was alive, not about him being dead. He's still alive in my mind. His music will live on forever. I didn't hear about it, I witnessed it. It was so painful that I'd rather not talk about it."

In a 2007 interview with Glam-Metal.com, Sarzo stated about Rhoads, "Randy was an amazing musician, teacher, musician, friend, performer and composer. Also, Randy was responsible for getting me in Ozzy's band and for keeping the plane from crashing into our tour bus and saving the lives of us who were sleep in the bus."

He added, "Randy's legacy is still growing. Almost every day, I get messages [online] from young fans who have discovered him through their parents' CD collection."

Regarding the fact that he was the only person to have performed with Randy in both QUIET RIOT and OZZY OSBOURNE, Sarzo said, "I was blessed. It gave me the opportunity to see the two sides of Randy's guitar playing. There was the Randy with QUIET RIOT, and the Randy with OZZY. The Randy with QUIET RIOT had a lot of restrictions that were set by what the industry in Los Angeles was all about. Let's face it: QUIET RIOT was a band that was looking for a record deal. So we were pretty much at the mercy of what the industry was dictating. The last metal band to get signed out of the '70s was VAN HALEN. Right after that, they shut the door."

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

30 fucking years??

Damn, now I feel really old........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

That last statement about Van Halen is absolutely correct.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah.... too bad the industry opened the door back up and signed all those shitty transvestite hairbands in the 80's though.

As for Quiet Riot not getting a deal in the 70s (except in Japan) I think Rudy is ignoring the obvious..... DuBrow was as bad of a lyricist as Spam Hagar, if not worse. The Japanese didn't give a fuck about that, since lyrics don't matter if it's all a foreign language anyway.

When I listen to my crappy sounding bootleg of the first two Quiet Riot albums, it's all about Randy's playing. Really not much else there of value at all.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Rudy (and Dubrow, R.I.P.) have/had some EXCELLENT Randy stories...apparently RR was quite the cut-up, a genuinely funny, quick-witted dude. When I first became friendly with them, Dubrow actually didn't believe me when I originally told him I'd met Randy briefly as a kid - "Everybody says that, and no one really did" until I told him Randy started goofing on the band's security in front of my friends and I - then KD smiled and said "OK...yeah, that was him..."
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Green Manalishi
            Head Fluffer
            • Jul 2010

I can still remember to this day where I was at and what I was doing when I heard the grim news . Sad .
            Nearly six weeks before the tragedy occured , six of us just saw Ozzy and Randy on
            Sunday Night , February 7th . at the old Kiel Auditorium here in St. Louis .
            It had been a rescheduled gig from Wednesday Night , January 27th. but was cancelled
            at the last second because Ozzy was too ill to perform as a result of the shenanigans
            with the rabid bat a couple of nights earlier . Man oh man , that little guy could play .
            Last edited by Green Manalishi; 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
              I can still remember to this day where I was at and what I was doing when I heard the grim news . Sad .
              Nearly six weeks before the tragedy occured , six of us just saw Ozzy and Randy on
              Sunday Night , February 7th . at the old Kiel Auditorium here in St. Louis .
              It had been a rescheduled gig from Wednesday Night , January 27th. but was cancelled
              at the last second because Ozzy was too ill to perform as a result of the shenanigans
              with the rabid bat a couple of nights earlier . Man oh man , that little guy could play .
              I saw them on Feb. 3rd... one of the few dates Rudy omitted in his book...I sent him a pic of my ticket stub to jog his memory (and possibly correct the next edition)... And yes, totally remember where I was when I heard the awful news too - outside mowing my mom's lawn - she flagged me down to come in and hear them repeat the announcement on the radio "Hey, the DJ just said Ozzy's drummer died!" I then proceed to call in to our local radio station, because they were saying "Ozzy Osbourne drummer Randy Rhoads killed in plane crash", and I asked the DJ - "Was it the drummer Tommy Aldridge or was it Randy Rhoads ? He's Ozzy guitar player!" The DJ got flustered (clearly didn't know the band member's names himself) and yelled "LOOK, it says RIGHT HERE Ozzy's DRUMMER RANDY RHOADS DIED!" and hung up on me (he was a tool, btw). By the time the evening newspaper came out at least AP had it right...I still have the obituary with my autographed Diary tour program.
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

I saw them on February 27, 1982. Man. Less than a month later Randy was gone.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Do we know of any un-released RR stuff that might see the light of day for this anniversary?
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                    Do we know of any un-released RR stuff that might see the light of day for this anniversary?
                    It would be nice if the Quiet Riot albums finally saw the light of day (as opposed to that completely overdubbed sampler that DuBrow put out in 1994.)

As I said, there's nothing remarkable apart from Randy's playing on them, but (just as it was with the Sharon-mangled Ozzy remasters) it's just a crime to mess with the historical record like that. It's really time those recordings got a proper world wide release.

Last edited by FORD; 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Wow they really were going for the Slade sound.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, they obviously proved to be Slade fans on the later records, but they were apparently big fans of Sweet as well (or at least I always thought this song sounded a little bit like them)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's problematic because Slade became a parody in the UK and are viewed as a bit of a joke band because of repeated TV screenings of what seemed after the event ludicrous costumes as well as an all pervading Xmas song which is played every 10 minutes in stores throughout December.

Even by the 80s being influenced so much by Slade wouldn't have helped their credibility much here, kind of like being influenced by little Donny Osmond.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

...or Donny Osmond's short-lived late 80's comeback being influenced by the very un-Mormon George Michael?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

The first time I heard Crazy Train my jaw dropped !! He would have been neck & neck with Eddie through the 80's had he lived. His live tone was way better than Ed's. He took some stuff from Ed but he was his own player. What a waste. R.I.P.

Comment

Working...