PDA

View Full Version : Vindication

riggodrill44
01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
My name is TJ. I first heard Van Halen in 1978. I was in 7th grade and a guy named David Mayfield was blasting "Running with the Devil" through a boom box in the hallway between classes. Me and my feelings about music were changed forever.

I'm 46 now. I've lurked at RothArmy.com for a long time. I've even posted on the forum and once asked the question... "Why do I keep coming back to this site?" The events of the past couple of weeks have illustrated why... why I keep coming back here... hoping to see some good news. Well, you all know the news now. And it's definitely good news. And... you KNOW, deep down inside... in places you don't want to talk about in public... you know what's coming next is going to be GREAT. It will be different. But it's going to be GREAT. I can't wait.

I am re-posting a review of the last concert I saw David Lee Roth and Edward Van Halen on stage together. I will most definitely see them on tour this time around. No matter what the cost.

The context of this review is as follows... I saw them play on November 1, 2007 at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC. The show was sold out. There was initial criticism during the tour that perhaps the band wasn't really singing all the background vocals or that Eddie's son wasn't really playing bass... that music was piped in. Much of that criticism was generated by cynical fans of Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen (Van Hagar). The band had been inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in March 2007. The induction was televised on VH1Classic.

OK... here goes...

INTRODUCTION
Why does some music transcend time while other songs have relevance for 15 minutes and then pass away into the "where are they now" bin at the Target? I think it is the way the songs make us *feel* that makes us add those 20+ year old songs to our collective playlists. We want to recapture that feeling or have that feeling apply in the next season of our life. Baby Boomers do it with "Jailhouse Rock"... fondly remembering watching a black and white television with a rough looking southerner strut on stage during the Ed Sullivan Show... "A Hard Days Night"... recapturing how they felt when the Beatles stepped off the plane for the first time in America. Jimi Hendrix playing the "Star Spangled Banner" on a foggy morning to a bunch of tired hippies barely awake in a huge field in upstate New York. There is a feeling I, and evidently, many others like me, get when watching (listening to) two suburban-bred Southern California guys singing about girls, partying with friends but also a twist of modern age-angst while grinning ear to ear, cutting up and displaying musical/theatrical virtuosity much copied but rarely replicated.

THE DISGRACE
Just seven months ago, I witnessed a spectacle that pained me on the level of watching my favorite football team getting blown out in a Super Bowl. At the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony, my favorite band, Van Halen, was ushered in to the "hallowed" Hall. But the spectacle of Velvet Revolver performing an abortion of "Ain't Talking 'bout Love" and some other song and then watching in horror as Sammy Hagar and MIchael Anthony lead a group of other musicians in a rendition of "Why Can't This Be Love" made me turn off the TV. I erased the file from my DVR. The two icons who made VAN HALEN were not present. And their reputation was tarnished by people painfully trying to honor their legacy. It was a disgrace.

THE CLOUDS PART
In August of 2007, a tour was announced and David Lee Roth and Edward Van Halen committed to performing live together. David Lee Roth. Edward Van Halen. Two icons. Reunited, almost unbelievably and touring America in the fall of 2007. The question hanging over this announcement was clearly, "Could they pull it off?". One member from the original line up would be missing. His replacement, the son of Edward Van Halen... a boy only 16 years old, would be taking his place. I bought my ticket and eagerly awaited their appearance at the Verizon Center on November 1, 2007.

I am happy to report that not only did they pull it off... they recaptured much of the feeling that made them worthy of placement in a Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

THE CONCERT
Starting with their traditional supersonic guitar and drum riffing, the curtain dropped to the opening chords of "You Really Got Me". David Lee Roth at the highest part of the stage set waving a giant red flag. The crowd went crazy. Diamond Dave and Eddie did soulfully noodle around a bit in the breakdown part of their first hit. It was followed immediately by "I'm the One", my personal favorite from the band's illustrious catalogue. This fast-tempo'd, guitar-led diddy implores you to "Show Your Love" which the crowd did. There is a breakdown near the end of the song that has a little "bop bada, shooby do wah" a capella. The band went silent while those in attendance stood and cheered wildly. This is the moment that made the hair on my arms stand on end. I was not alone. You see, "I'm the One" is a trendsetting song. You've got to be fucking good on your instrument to pull it off. You can't "fake it" like you can with the maw that record companies have forwarded to us as music in the past 20 years. And the singer has to bring an attitude to the vocals that can back up the phrase, "I'm the one the one you love, come on baby, show your love... hey, give it to me". Playing this song second in an opening set is like walking into a party, socking the host in the mouth, taking his woman out to the car (with her approval), having a shag and then bringing her back in, a bit frazzled. Oh yeah, then you take a six pack of beer out of the fridge, get back in your Mustang and drive away.

I felt at this point in the concert like I could run through a brick wall.

Van Halen was all business. The first 8 songs pretty much rolled one into another. Dave did one little rap break that was less than a minute.

You Really Got Me
I'm the One
Running with the Devil (crowd singing vocals full throat)
Romeo Delight (breakdown part wanders into "Magic Bus"... Wolfie and Ed together obviously enjoying this)
Somebody Get Me a Doctor (introduced by Diamond Dave with a harmonica through a bullhorn... sounded very cool)
Beautiful Girls (Dave and background vocals sounded really good. Crowd sang along like at a keg party from 1980)
Dance the Night Away (Dave again sounded really good)
Atomic Punk (Ed breaks a string at the beginning of the solo which sets him back a little.)

I think much of the crowd was breathless by this point. My observation is that from this short list of songs it was clear that this was no Van Hagar or Van Gaylen concert. We were witnessing the REAL VAN HALEN, admittedly without Michael Anthony. But, his replacement wasn't a hired gun. He is flesh and blood. It reminded me of the Eat 'em and Smile tour when Dave and the band was all business and out to prove themselves. No one was resting on their laurels. They were rubbing your face in it.

So the opening part of the set was off the first two albums except for Romeo. The next four songs were off the "middle albums" and led up to the drum solo.

Everybody Wants Some (the breakdown was again a trip... I like... I like... I like... the anticipation was pretty cool. Dave took us to a place that was the polar opposite of "Love Comes Walking In")

So This is Love (whoever is saying Wolfie ain't really playing should shut the fuck up. Sit down, Waldo. He ain't perfect, he ain't seasoned... but he *is* playing... I was there... I saw and heard it... and, he's a Van Halen. I'll take my chances with him. The family name has a pretty good track record... jackass.)

Mean Street (Dave appears to take pleasure at spitting out the words to this song. Eddie, of course, works out some anger issues during the solo in this tune. Just killer. He does miss the harmonic at the end of the intro this night)

Pretty Woman (I roll my eyes but when I look around, everyone is singing the words. Plus, they need a break as it has been 11 straight rounds of musical mayhem up to this point. Wolfie *is* singing and he blends well with Dave. I close my eyes and listen... I can't really hear a difference from my US Festival VHS)

Drum solo. I think they have a deal with the beer vendors... you have to do a drum solo so we can move more product. Seriously... why else do we still do this? This was cool in 1977. It ain't so cool in 2007. That is my opinion and I respect those who feel differently.

Over the next 8 songs, the band alternates paces. High energy and then they bring it down a little. This is also the part of the set where they introduce the keyboards.

Unchained (Crowd is going crazy for this one. Eddie is on his game as is Dave. Back up vocals sound good and again, I really can't see how people say they're piping it in. The breakdown features Dave doing a self-imitation with "hey man... that suit is you." He is interacting with Wolfie who asks if Dave will give him a break. 20,000+ respond ONE BREAK... COMING UP!!! It *feels* like old times again.)

I'll Wait (Hey... I'd rather hear Bottoms Up!, Hear About it Later or DOA, too. But, they need a break, all the girls are singing along and Eddie nails the solo. He does this thing pretty regularly now where he slides up the neck and hits a high note that sustains with a WOOO... WOOO. Sounded really cool in this solo.)

And the Cradle Will Rock (another sing-a-long fest with this song. Eddie is fan-picking on much of the verse... yup... he can still do it.)

Hot for Teacher (This one brought the house down again. They're jumping around a lot on stage so things get a little sloppier musically but jesus h. christ this is a great song, especially live. I think it kind of sums up what this band has been missing the past 23 years.)

Little Dreamer (Sing-a-long city... especially the females in the crowd. Dave is up top in the white spotlight. Eddie plays the solo differently. Contrast this with that retarded Mad Anthony Express YouTube of this song.)

Little Guitars (A fine moment in the set. Dave really sings this song well. Backup vocals sound good. Pace is good. Crowd is singing along. Wolfie is playing what appears to be a 3/4 scale VH II paint style bass.)

Jamie's Crying (Eddie augments the guitar part on this and it sounds fucking killer. The backup vocals are there and Dave is nailing the words. All the guys in the crowd are chiming in during "And she knows, what that'll get her!" I felt like I was back in high school warily eyeing the girls in the parking lot as this song was pouring out of someone's Camaro.)

Ice Cream Man (Diamond David Lee Roth. At his finest. He starts out in the corner under what is supposed to appear as a streetlight. Then he walks out and tells a story. All of you who were around back then (circa 1975 - 1982) definitely can relate to the references. Deseeding pot. Pink Floyd albums. Keg parties. Girls being proactive rather than passive. Backyard band gigs.)

Panama (Great song. The whole package. Crowd is singing along. Sammy Hagar-era fans are still getting the lyrics wrong in the first chorus.)

Guitar Solo. He has to do it. It looks like he still wants to do it. I wouldn't mind if he *didn't* do it.

Ain't Talking 'bout Love (NEWS FLASH FOR SLASH and whoever that freak of a singer was at RRHOF... this how the song is supposed to be played, you morons.)

Encore
Jump (Dave riding a giant inflatable microphone like a horse. Keyboards in synch with the guitar, unlike at a previous show on the tour. Crowd enjoying it. Me... not so much.)

CONCLUSION
David Lee Roth and Edward Van Halen still got *it*. They have a magic that Eddie was not able to re-create after Dave left. And, Dave wasn't able to have the same counterpoint in his post-1985 world. The band, though three parts original... one part inevitable, has a catalogue of songs that take many in my generation to a place that feels really good. We fondly remember those times. They smiled the whole time, had fun, didn't take things too seriously and enabled the audience to participate in the party. I left wishing that they had played more. The crowd was at full capacity. They stood the whole time. They sang most of the lyrics along with the band.

The music they made on those first six albums transcends time. Perhaps with a new generation introduced *in* the band and *to* the band, they'll be able to apply that magic and create some new feelings in *this* fan. I just know that I now feel redeemed after that cold, dark night in March 2007. When I felt let down and embarrassed to be a fan. I can now say again, firmly, that I am a fan of the greatest rock 'n roll band in my generation... the Mighty VAN HALEN.

Sarge's Little Helper
01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi riggodrill44! It is my pleasure to be the first JACKASS to welcome you to The Diamond David Lee Roth Army! IN ROTH WE TRUST.

SunisinuS
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
"Ice Cream Man (Diamond David Lee Roth. At his finest. He starts out in the corner under what is supposed to appear as a streetlight. Then he walks out and tells a story. All of you who were around back then (circa 1975 - 1982) definitely can relate to the references. Deseeding pot. Pink Floyd albums. Keg parties. Girls being proactive rather than passive. Backyard band gigs.)"

Girls being proactive rather than passive. Hell women do not even know HOW to flirt anymore. Miss my Good Time Gals.

:clap:

Welcome!

fifth element
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Welcome!!! :band:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
:welcome:

binnie
01-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Welcome - that's a helluva introduction!