PDA

View Full Version : Official 2/22 Indianapolis Meetup/Review Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

DLR Bridge
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Damn. I'm so looking forward to next Tuesday's show at MSG. I don't think I'm ever going to watch another You-Tube clip again after that. A real live performance will kick a mobile phone videos ass any day, however, the videos can jade one's memory.

MUSICMANN
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I have to agree with the whiney bitch here (Elvis).

Dave didn't do Hear About it Later justice.

It sounds like the band worked hard in rehearsing a song they haven't played live since 1981 and Dave is....well...he doesn't exactly butcher it but he kinda "killed the moment" if you will by throwing in the high registers that even the studio version never had.

Its like "Dave, come on man, WTF???"

Killed the moment for who, us here, that's looking for every video that comes out of every show or for those that were actually there last night. I can honestly say that those that were in that arena last night are still buzzing about them breaking out HAIL. Those are in the moment memories that you take with you through life, no matter if it's the fist time you finger banged a girl or your first VH concert or them playing that song for the first time in decades. As a whole, we have become a in your face, up to the very minute digital phone have to be perfect every moment society. If this would have been the case back in the day, all of the legendary hard rock bands would have never been able to build the reputation they are known for because they would have been critiqued so hard for every live show they would have probably just made albums and never toured. Dave doing it the Dave way, shows that he is real and honest. That being said, not sure why on some songs he is trying to hit a higher register than usual. Maybe there will be an interviewer some time in the future that asks him that question.

ELVIS
02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Well...

We can all agree to looking foward to the next shows...

:elvis:

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Agree just because Dave's developed his higher register more recently doesn't necessarily mean he has to use it all the time... and yeah, he gets a pass for not having sung HAIL in 30 years. One imagines it will get (much) better as the tour goes on. The band is NAILING it though, so good to hear! :killer:

Shit. I'll predict right now that the next shows thread will be exactly like this one. I am really getting tired of it to be honest. It's repetitive and down right bullshit too be talking about Roth's vocals. To the best of my knowledge no one who has attended a show or rehearsal has said a damn thing about it. I don't expect Roth to sound like that Oakland 81 Video. That was the fucking video for that song. You think that fucker wasn't dubbed? Go watch Largo, or Old No.7 and come back in here and say Dave hit every fucking note.

Stop watching these fucking post show video's and making negative observations about them. :mad:

philouze
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
About HAIL, I'm gonna listen to it tonight (downloading the show right now), and I'll give my impressions, if anyone cares, what I seriously doubt.
About Dave, well.. yeah heh, he should not overdo things vocally. But it's Dave, I love the man, he's got my eternal & unconditionnal (two Ns?) admiration.
Now, give me a little Secrets instead of Pretty Fuckin Woman, and I'll be happy to go to work with this on my MP3 player.

PS: Jager, your post is right on the fuckin spot, dude. Couldn't have said it better.

kwame k
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Well...

We can all agree to looking foward to the next shows...

Yep, I'm on pins and needles waiting for your next, How Dave fucked it up, post:lmao:

kwame k
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Shit. I'll predict right now that the next shows thread will be exactly like this one. I am really getting tired of it to be honest. It's repetitive and down right bullshit too be talking about Roth's vocals. To the best of my knowledge no one who has attended a show or rehearsal has said a damn thing about it. I don't expect Roth to sound like that Oakland 81 Video. That was the fucking video for that song. You think that fucker wasn't dubbed? Go watch Largo, or Old No.7 and come back in here and say Dave hit every fucking note.

Stop watching these fucking post show video's and making negative observations about them. :mad:

Outstanding post, brother:beers8:

moose
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM

fantastic post!!

Jagermeister
Outstanding post, brother:beers8:

Thanks but fuck man. Some of the people at this board have been posting the same shit since that rehearsal. Every fucking time after every fucking show. I just don't get it. I really don't. We get it already. Dave has a few vocal issues. So what. Nothing has changed since 1981 as far as I can tell so get over it. I don't remember anyone bitching after the Cafe Wha? show.

I hate fucking you tube!

Vinnie Velvet

Easy bro.

We are all big fans of Dave and have been for many years.

We just want the best that we think he can give in 2012 (understanding that it won't be '81 or '84 again).

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
You want to talk about a train wreck. Lets make some observations about this. Still one of the best shows ever.

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I wonder if anyone after that show said. " Man Roth didn't really sing very much he just talked all the words" Or "Damn Eddy's guitar was a little out of tune on some of those numbers" :biggrin:

TJMKID
Killed the moment for who, us here, that's looking for every video that comes out of every show or for those that were actually there last night. I can honestly say that those that were in that arena last night are still buzzing about them breaking out HAIL. Those are in the moment memories that you take with you through life, no matter if it's the fist time you finger banged a girl or your first VH concert or them playing that song for the first time in decades. As a whole, we have become a in your face, up to the very minute digital phone have to be perfect every moment society. If this would have been the case back in the day, all of the legendary hard rock bands would have never been able to build the reputation they are known for because they would have been critiqued so hard for every live show they would have probably just made albums and never toured. Dave doing it the Dave way, shows that he is real and honest. That being said, not sure why on some songs he is trying to hit a higher register than usual. Maybe there will be an interviewer some time in the future that asks him that question.

I just hope Uncle Manny gets his 92 yr. old ass outta the basement of the Cafe Wha? and goes to see his nephew playing sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden !!

Or will he be too busy laying down another batch of marble tiles at his club??

ALMOSTsaved
You want to talk about a train wreck. Lets make some observations about this. Still one of the best shows ever.

I love when my uploads are called into play. Appreciate the hits it will bring. Makes my hard work and dedication that much more meaningful. :)

TJMKID
02-23-2012, 01:33 PM

'82 Largo should be released as an official DVD --- I have it myself but it's a 3rd gen. copy and I know Eddie still has the master tapes from the Capital Center in-house video system.

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:33 PM
I love when my uploads are called into play. Appreciate the hits it will bring. Makes my hard work and dedication that much more meaningful. :)

Lucily I have the DVD's and have had for many years and I don't upload anything I have to you tube. The point is you can find any number of fuck ups in that video.

David Lee Rocks
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I agree with this.

Dave was the MVP on the 07-08 tour but this time its all Eddie.

Dave has to lose that high resgiter thing - he is doing it in many spots that don't even require it.

it woud be nice if they could all get on the same page, I think dave sounds ok but the rest of the band kicks ass!!

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 01:36 PM
I said it before and I will say it again. Concerts and live performances are made for that moment in time for those that are there to enjoy VH to play for them. Reviewing vids from the shows and knocking the "in the moment" live performance is not how it was suppose to be. We are fans not critics. We know what Dave thinks about those guys.

Vinnie Velvet
02-23-2012, 01:38 PM

I miss that choreographed move where all three are jump-moving forward like that.

They need to bring that back.

It was so cool and so Van Halen.

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 01:39 PM

And yes this was an epic show. But the performance of this song was made special for that night only. Thats rock n roll for ya. :biggrin:

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:41 PM
I miss that choreographed move where all three are jump-moving forward like that.

Yeah me too. Only problem is they may all slip on that damn board. :biggrin:

ALMOSTsaved
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Lucily I have the DVD's and have had for many years and I don't upload anything I have to you tube. The point is you can find any number of fuck ups in that video.

I like to upload for the folks who don't have the DVDs...it's my way of spreading the word. I think in the description of my video I mention the slightly "out of tune" guitar to prove a point to everyone who was complaining about Ed being out of tune on my Greensboro, NC 2007 videos. Of course they were blaming it on him being fucked up or just too old to notice. I wanted them to see that shit happened in the 80s too and that it wasn't that big a deal then and shouldn't be picked apart now.

Mr Walker
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Oh man... do you remember when van Hagar bastardized that fucking move with the fucking gay as hell fucking breakfast club walk thing they did. I remember seeing the live video for some 5150 song on MTV way back when and when they did that I fucking felt violated... fucking bastards... AND DON"T GO POSTING ANY FUCKING YOUTUBE CLIPS OF IT!!!!!!!
Now I'm mad! I'm gonna go look for a fight with some unsuspecting co-worker.

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I like to upload for the folks who don't have the DVDs...it's my way of spreading the word. I think in the description of my video I mention the slightly "out of tune" guitar to prove a point to everyone who was complaining about Ed being out of tune on my Greensboro, NC 2007 videos. Of course they were blaming it on him being fucked up or just too old to notice. I wanted them to see that shit happened in the 80s too and that it wasn't that big a deal then and shouldn't be picked apart now.

Very true.

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh man... do you remember when van Hagar bastardized that fucking move with the fucking gay as hell fucking breakfast club walk thing they did. I remember seeing the live video for some 5150 song on MTV way back when and when they did that I fucking felt violated... fucking bastards... AND DON"T GO POSTING ANY FUCKING YOUTUBE CLIPS OF IT!!!!!!!
Now I'm mad! I'm gonna go look for a fight with some unsuspecting co-worker.

:lmao:

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Anyone know if that RLbayers dude ever posted his bootleg? I sent him a PM but the dick head didn't respond.

TJMKID
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

I think they should bring it back simply because the Oakland '81 version of HAIL shows them doing it ---- GO FULL RETRO ON THESE MOTHERFUCKERS, DAVE !!!

And if Wolfie slips and falls on the dancing mat ---- no worries ---- he's a young whipper-snapper and will bounce like rubber. Dave and Eddie better hope they had their daily dose of OsCal+D, though --- no broken hips on this tour, fellas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7mRIdAD48

So this is love
02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I wonder if anyone after that show said. " Man Roth didn't really sing very much he just talked all the words" Or "Damn Eddy's guitar was a little out of tune on some of those numbers" :biggrin:

You bet... is it my ears, Ed must have been GUI... lol! or his monitors were still in the truck.

VanHalenI
Thank you VAN HALEN for givin us HEAR ABOUT IT LATER!! FUCK YESSS!!!

kwame k
Thanks but fuck man. Some of the people at this board have been posting the same shit since that rehearsal. Every fucking time after every fucking show. I just don't get it. I really don't. We get it already. Dave has a few vocal issues. So what. Nothing has changed since 1981 as far as I can tell so get over it. I don't remember anyone bitching after the Cafe Wha? show.

I hate fucking you tube!

Exactly, being there is totally different than a camera phone YouTube video.

The people around me and my buddy..... who's been a fan of VH as long as I have been.....has seen them on the '84 tour, were all praising Dave's vocals.

I was blown away by his voice this time......

He hit some clunkers, as I said in the Palace thread, but overall he nailed it....he was sustaining notes and hitting things that were beyond belief.

What truly amazes me about the whiners here is they have forgotten or blocked out Dave's performances in the past or the fact that Dave has never, was never a pitch perfect vocalist. On record or live. Which I have also stated ad nauseam.

I just wonder what mythical shows they're watching or what albums they have.

David Lee Rocks
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
i hear theyre gonna get rid of that catwalk, they may as well, they dont use it

Seshmeister
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
no matter if it's the fist time you finger banged a girl

http://kerfuffle.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341da2a953ef010535cef8e0970b-800wi

Seshmeister
02-23-2012, 02:06 PM

If that's true then that should free up some good seats...

Matt White
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
That's the thing aboot LIVE PERFORMANCE & the taping of that event........

Even though we have the 1981 UNCHAINED.....its how it was performed THAT NIGHT...a snapshot of that moment in time......

Some nights weren't as good on that tour...some nights BLEW that OAKLAND performance out of the water.................................

enjoy what we've got....it won't last FOREVER........

Vinnie Velvet
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I think they should bring it back simply because the Oakland '81 version of HAIL shows them doing it ---- GO FULL RETRO ON THESE MOTHERFUCKERS, DAVE !!!

And if Wolfie slips and falls on the dancing mat ---- no worries ---- he's a young whipper-snapper and will bounce like rubber. Dave and Eddie better hope they had their daily dose of OsCal+D, though --- no broken hips on this tour, fellas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7mRIdAD48

Would go apeshit if they brought that move back.

Someone tell Dave!

ELVIS
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone know if that RLbayers dude ever posted his bootleg? I sent him a PM but the dick head didn't respond.

The whole show is up at his site and on youtube...

I'd post it but I'm a whiny bitch....

philouze
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Just listened to HAIL and DTNA. They're fuckin GREAT.
We've been waiting for 30 years to hear HAIL live. What the fuck is your problem ?
DTNA is awesome, I like when my favorite bands take chances. Dave did, and it sounds good to me.

Stay frosty, motherfuckers !

kwame k
02-23-2012, 02:45 PM

Acceptance is the first step in recovery;)

kwame k
02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Just listened to HAIL and DTNA. They're fuckin GREAT.
We've been waiting for 30 years to hear HAIL live. What the fuck is your problem ?
DTNA is awesome, I like when my favorite bands take chances. Dave did, and it sounds good to me.

Stay frosty, motherfuckers !

x's 2:beers8:

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
The whole show is up at his site and on youtube...

I want it on a DVD though. :(

TJMKID
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Initially I wanted them to remove it since it was only being used for one song....

But now that HAIL is back in the lineup......I say Dave and Eddie use the "hockey-stick" during the solo of HAIL.....just like the '81 Oakland clip......gets people stoked as hell

kwame k
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Whiny bitch;)

mewisemagic
02-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Exactly, being there is totally different than a camera phone YouTube video.

The people around me and my buddy..... who's been a fan of VH as long as I have been.....has seen them on the '84 tour, were all praising Dave's vocals.

I was blown away by his voice this time......

He hit some clunkers, as I said in the Palace thread, but overall he nailed it....he was sustaining notes and hitting things that were beyond belief.

What truly amazes me about the whiners here is they have forgotten or blocked out Dave's performances in the past or the fact that Dave has never, was never a pitch perfect vocalist. On record or live. Which I have also stated ad nauseam.

I just wonder what mythical shows they're watching or what albums they have.

Most folks that didnt get to see them in concert in 1984 or before just arent going to get IT.

I saw them in 81,82 and twice in 84 and each time Roth was off rhythm at times,off key at times,missed lyrics etc,etc

Same goes for the solo years...Why is this all of a sudden something new?

His voice (at times) isnt what it once was,but in his own words "Its the smile and the style that lasts" ....and "THAT" is what keeps me coming back!

Some of you people need to lay off the "American Idol" and realize these guys are approaching their 60s and that you yourself probably arent

what you were 28 years ago...

MUSICMANN
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
The band is tight and Dave is singing and performing his ass off. Sometimes it's all great and sometimes it's a little off. VH is live and in your face and that's all that matters.

kwame k
02-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Most folks that didnt get to see them in concert in 1984 or before just arent going to get IT.

I saw them in 81,82 and twice in 84 and each time Roth was off rhythm at times,off key at times,missed lyrics etc,etc

Same goes for the solo years...Why is this all of a sudden something new?

His voice (at times) isnt what it once was,but in his own words "Its the smile and the style that lasts" ....and "THAT" is what keeps me coming back!

Some of you people need to lay off the "American Idol" and realize these guys are approaching their 60s and that you yourself probably arent

what you were 28 years ago...

I just want to have the live boots these guys are basing their shit off of.......damn those must of been some killer shows I've never heard of;)

I'm out of thanks....so :beers8:

78/84 guy
02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I just want to have the live boots these guys are basing their shit off of.......damn those must of been some killer shows I've never heard of;)

I'm out of thanks....so :beers8:

I agree. But Dave was great last tour. Ed was off and Wolf was out of place. To young. And thats probably why we didn't get a dvd or live cd. I hope Dave isn't the reason this time !! I think he sounds fine but there are some cringe moments for me. The nice Louisville footage he sounds good on most of it. Time will tell. I am already sick of the dance floor. I won't bring up the headset. I think Dave needs a couple floor monitors in front of him. Fuck those ear pieces.

SunisinuS
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Initially I wanted them to remove it since it was only being used for one song....

But now that HAIL is back in the lineup......I say Dave and Eddie use the "hockey-stick" during the solo of HAIL.....just like the '81 Oakland clip......gets people stoked as hell

Yea but I want the (the marching band) Whistle back more.....tweet tweet tweet.....dun dun dun da dun dah...

ELVIS
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Go to Funk It and email the guy...

Jagermeister
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Go to Funk It and email the guy...

I'll wait and see if he posts it. I hope he doesn't do it at Dime though.

kwame k
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree. But Dave was great last tour. Ed was off and Wolf was out of place. To young. And thats probably why we didn't get a dvd or live cd. I hope Dave isn't the reason this time !! I think he sounds fine but there are some cringe moments for me. The nice Louisville footage he sounds good on most of it. Time will tell. I am already sick of the dance floor. I won't bring up the headset. I think Dave needs a couple floor monitors in front of him. Fuck those ear pieces.

The fact is most Live albums are doctored up in a studio before being released so as long as the footage is clear they could do the Industry Standard thing and you'd have your DVD, sorta live!

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Funny, who ever thought you would ever hear of VH doing these live ever again? I did not see this one coming. They must have been jamming like mother fuckers at 5150 is all got to say!!

I agree....I figured the set list would pretty much stay the same as 07-08 with a few ADKOT tunes thrown in.....but mixing it up like this tells me they must have rehearsed extensively. In 07-08 perhaps Wolfie didn't quite have the whole 6 pack down pat. 5 days till MSG....can't wait!!!

78/84 guy
02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
The fact is most Live albums are doctored up in a studio before being released so as long as the footage is clear they could do the Industry Standard thing and you'd have your DVD, sorta live!

That's true. I would be more worried about a dvd release because you have the visual to look at. And Dave would have to be careful to resing stuff to match up whats on the video. He never sings anything the same.

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

I watched a thing on Kiss Alive that almost everything was redone. Kind of ruined the album for me knowing that. But yeah, all live releases are doctored up a lot. As long as the drums are good. You are correct sir.

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I think Sam bitched in his book (Yes, I read the Van Hagar chapter) That he had to re-do all his Vox for that live album they did. Go figure. May because you suck Sam! Ha!

RealTwisted
02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
About Dave's Singing... Is what it is. He has never been known as a great singer... but as an entertainer that is the face and voice of Van Halen. He plays off Eddie and Alex, and does an excellent job of it. There was an interview about 20 years ago where he made this exact point. He is not going to be polished, that isnt Van Halen. Van Halen is hard, powerful and rough around the edges. They come out and knock you off your seat like a freight train.... and a freight train will always have the clanks as well.

78/84 guy
02-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I watched a thing on Kiss Alive that almost everything was redone. Kind of ruined the album for me knowing that. But yeah, all live releases are doctored up a lot. As long as the drums are good. You are correct sir.

I think Sam said the brothers rerecorded almost all of the 91 live album. He said he wanted to kill them because he had to resing most of it watching the video.

78/84 guy
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I think Sam bitched in his book (Yes, I read the Van Hagar chapter) That he had to re-do all his Vox for that live album they did. Go figure. May because you suck Sam! Ha!

I guess we think alike !! Funny I thought of that also.

chi-town324
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
getting a little nervous about the next show here in chicago.....the acoustics in the united center are for shit...which isnt going to help his voice...i think he should have a hand held mic at least part of the show

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Kiss Dressed to Kill, Kiss Alive and VHII were the first records my parents bought me when I was a little kid a million years ago. I heard the same thing about Kiss Alive and it kinda ruined it for me a little bit too. I also heard that Peter Chris' drums were the only thing left virtually untouched on Alive which made me happy being a drummer. BTW if anyone wants to check out my crappy band live, feel free to rip us apart or not....check out 4th coming live@ lulu's on youtube.....im playing drums and singing all the leads. If I suck.....let me have it!!!!

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Dude, You are a solid player. Nice kit too.

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Dude, You are a solid player. Nice kit too.

Thanks man....very nice of you to say...right back atcha for that matter. i remember checking out a video you posted in here. I would like to say that's my kit but it was a buddy of mine who's kit I used that night. I usually prefer to play with two toms and a floor tom. We were opening up for C.J. Ramone that night and Myself, another band and C.J.'s drummer all used that kit to speed things up a bit on stage. It was a very nice kit...the dude who brought it owns a drum shop here on Long island....kit was geared more for a punk band. Took me a while to be comfortable playing and singing simultaneously. I remember you mentioning your band was working on something with a release date coming soon....definitely keep me posted bro.

FALCO
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I think it sounds fine when compared to this.

Respectfully disagree... I think this vid (for me) is a standard for HAIL... while he may not be singing it like the record, he still sounds good... again, there is NO area in this song that requires 2012 Dave to go into that high whiny register... he is killing his voice for no reason...
As someone who has been singing for 29 years, I still find it INSANE that he is trying to go HIGHER when if he kept that whiskey baritone he would be fine... and from what I am hearing of his voice, I don't know if it will get better... almost seems to me like there is an actual problem there...
He is really straining on parts he never did before... it seems when he leaves his comfort zone that he is really struggling to catch on to a note, and his voice is bouncing all over the place (which many singers have experienced when sick, vocal chords strained, etc.)
I also think the headset switch may be affecting him, since for almost 40 years he has sung one way, and now he is trying something completely different and the comfort factor may be throwing him off and he doesn't realize it...
And don't think this is the first time he has sung the tune... I'm sure they have been in rehearsal HARD for this, going over all these tunes... they are HIS songs in NOT a hard or high key to sing in... just seems strange...

My issue (since this IS a DISCUSSION) forum, is that he is changing things up too much, especially since the band seems to be nailing all these songs in the traditional sense... just a bit disappointed since in 07/08 his vocals were strong, and here they sound very frail at moments...

And YES, a concert is a moment in time, and enjoying it at that moment is the best thing one should do... however, once looking back (if one chooses) you can't argue that what doesn't sound good really is good... it's called a critique and opinion and everyone is free to differ I guess...

\m/ \m/

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Respectfully disagree... I think this vid (for me) is a standard for HAIL... again, there is NO area in this song that requires 2012 Dave to go into that high whiny register... he is killing his voice for no reason...
As someone who has been singing for 29 years, I still find it INSANE that he is trying to go HIGHER when if he kept that whiskey baritone he would be fine... and from what I am hearing of his voice, I don't know if it will get better... almost seems to me like there is an actual problem there...
He is really straining on parts he never did before... it seems when he leaves his comfort zone that he is really struggling to catch on to a note, and his voice is bouncing all over the place (which many singers have experienced when sick, vocal chords strained, etc.)
I also think the headset switch may be affecting him, since for almost 40 years he has sung one way, and now he is trying something completely different and the comfort factor may be throwing him off and he doesn't realize it...
And don't think this is the first time he has sung the tune... I'm sure they have been in rehearsal HARD for this, going over all these tunes... they are HIS songs in NOT a hard or high key to sing in... just seems strange...

My issue (since this IS a DISCUSSION) forum, is that he is changing things up too much, especially since the band seems to be nailing all these songs in the traditional sense... just a bit disappointed since in 07/08 his vocals were strong, and here they sound very frail at moments...

And YES, a concert is a moment in time, and enjoying it at that moment is the best thing one should do... however, once looking back (if one chooses) you can't argue that what doesn't sound good really is good... it's called a critique and opinion and everyone is free to differ I guess...

\m/ \m/

And I would have to agree with everything you just said. ...But, I also think it's a fine start for them playing it live again after 30 years.

David Lee Rocks
02-23-2012, 06:18 PM
i Listened to Women In Love from opening night and Dave sounds pretty good on that one, maybe he had a bad night last night, just sayin

FALCO
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
And I would have to agree with everything you just said. ...But, I also think it's a fine start for them playing it live again after 30 years.

The 3 Twins, YES... absolutely... just sat and watched all the different HAIL vids on the tube...

I am equally as blown away as to how good EVH, AVH, and WVH are sounding (tight, mean, like they REALLY took advantage of being locked up in 5150 since the last tour) as to how shocked I am at how out of key DLR is... I mean, there are some parts he is not even close...
He is a good singer... he proved that last tour (he blew me away at how prepared and fucking Rock God he was) but something now is just not right... and as a HUGE David Lee Roth fan, this actually hurts watching...

\m/ \m/

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
The 3 Twins, YES... absolutely... just sat and watched all the different HAIL vids on the tube...

I am equally as blown away as to how good EVH, AVH, and WVH are sounding (tight, mean, like they REALLY took advantage of being locked up in 5150 since the last tour) as to how shocked I am at how out of key DLR is... I mean, there are some parts he is not even close...
He is a good singer... he proved that last tour (he blew me away at how prepared and fucking Rock God he was) but something now is just not right... and as a HUGE David Lee Roth fan, this actually hurts watching...

\m/ \m/

It's not his ability, He can nail it.. Just the things he tried out with it this time did not work so well. Maybe next time.

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
But at the same time, VH can do no wrong for me right now and I am happy with it all.

hambon4lif
02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
getting a little nervous about the next show here in chicago.....the acoustics in the united center are for shit...That was the final deciding factor between Chicago and Rosemont for me. United Center has always sounded like shit no matter who's playing. Allstate is just a better venue all the way around.
Besides, by the time they hit Rosemont it will be a month and a half into the tour, and they'll be in the rythym of the road. Any flaws they're working out of the show now will be gone by then, and they're gonna fuckin' slay Allstate.

chefcraig
02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
BTW if anyone wants to check out my crappy band live, feel free to rip us apart or not....check out 4th coming live@ lulu's on youtube.....im playing drums and singing all the leads. If I suck.....let me have it!!!!

Friend, that is some killer stuff right there. Please, feel free to embed the clip in The Show Your Work Thread (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?61553-The-Show-Your-Work-Thread), located in the This Is Gear Street Forum (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?5-This-Is-Gear-Street).

If you have any problems while doing so, make a post in that thread, I'll edit it and embed it for ya. :yo:

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
I do agree that Dave was the highlight of the 07-08 tour....but the train has barely left the station....only 3 gigs so far.....Ed Al and Wolf are killing it and just the fact that it's Uncle Dave fronting the group makes this tour a must see. He has been off here and there but he was never Pavarotti to begin with. The only thing that strikes me as weird is his style of singing from the last tour to now seems different.He didn't tap into the high registry as much and he pretty much stuck to the script on the 07-08 tour which is not like Dave...but he sounded incredible. He'll get his voice where it needs to be....the more a person sings, the stronger their voice gets over time. These vids are still kicking my ass so I'm happy.....I was never fortunate enough to see CVH in their heyday....and the first time I saw Dave was Skyscraper tour...which was kick ass btw. I did see them 3 times in 07-08 and you better believe I'm cherishing seeing them at MSG twice next week.....waited a long ass time for my favorite band to get their shit straight and I'm not going to allow myself to nit pick. It's damn near a miracle that 1.) they ever got back together. 2.) toured in 07-08 and 3.) put out a killer album with a new tour to boot!!! and 4.) They have now been back together for 5 years and haven't killed each other yet....think about it....the original classic run from first album to last was 6 years!!! Obviously they were together longer than 6 years....but these are good times people....DAMN GOOD TIMES.

Guitar Shark
02-23-2012, 06:43 PM
There's something to be said for seeing a show mid-tour, when most of the kinks are worked out. But, there's a certain "routine" that also sets in by that point - less spontaneity, less enthusiasm sometimes. So there's a tradeoff.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the band is actually noticing some of what is posted here and at other sites, and adjusting accordingly? I distinctly remember seeing posts about how fans wanted to see GGB and HAIL played live, and then suddenly... there they are! Coincidence? Maybe, but I do believe the band is listening to its fan base for the first time in a long time. It's awesome.

MUSICMANN
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
The best example of Dave not over stretching his voice and hitting the notes that he is capable of at this point is right here.

SNIPER
02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I was actually hoping that they would play GGB and HAIL this tour but never thought it would happen. At this point it would be possible they could pull out anything. I would like to see them play "Secrets" instead of "I'll Wait" or one of the other mellower tunes. Thats not too far fetched at this point.

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Friend, that is some killer stuff right there. Please, feel free to embed the clip in The Show Your Work Thread (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?61553-The-Show-Your-Work-Thread), located in the This Is Gear Street Forum (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?5-This-Is-Gear-Street).

If you have any problems while doing so, make a post in that thread, I'll edit it and embed it for ya. :yo:

Chef, thank you very much man...I appreciate it. I just may need some technical assistance doing so. If I do, I'll drop you a line. Thanks again sir.

fourthcoming
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I like how Wolfie gives props to Uncle Dave as Ice cream Man wraps up....cool stuff. I always liked how Secrets sounded live at US fest.....with distortion....sounded killer. 07-08 was great but you knew every night what was being played...I believe the only change in the set was deleting Little Guitars on the second leg. This time around it seems anything's possible and that's got me pretty pumped. Shit....Dirty Movies? In A Simple Rhyme? D.O.A?.....etc.....definitely stoked.

Guitar Shark
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I noticed that VA sent a tweet directly to Wolfgang asking them to play Drop Dead Legs or DOA... we'll see what happens! At this point, I think anything is possible.

hambon4lif
02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the band is actually noticing some of what is posted here and at other sites, and adjusting accordingly?If I had to guess, I'd say it was just you.
I mean.....I wouldn't read any of this shit, would you?:biggrin:

Guitar Shark
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
An excellent point... :D

Romeo Delight
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Well, I noticed that VA sent a tweet directly to Wolfgang asking them to play Drop Dead Legs or DOA... we'll see what happens! At this point, I think anything is possible.

Think about how cool that is. A month or two ago ago we would have laughed out loud at the thought of it.

kwame k
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
BTW if anyone wants to check out my crappy band live, feel free to rip us apart or not....check out 4th coming live@ lulu's on youtube.....im playing drums and singing all the leads. If I suck.....let me have it!!!!

Killing it brother:beers8:

From one drummer to another....nice grooves, great sense of time and bitching vocals!

DLR Bridge
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
I like how Wolfie gives props to Uncle Dave as Ice cream Man wraps up....cool stuff.

Watch it again (as hard as it is) pretty sure that's Ed barking out props to Dave. Wolf's not near a mike at the time.

SunisinuS
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Watch it again (as hard as it is) pretty sure that's Ed barking out props to Dave. Wolf's not near a mike at the time.

It is.....never thought I would live to see the day....but damn straight...Edward Van Halen yelling "David Lee Roth" "David Lee!"

DLR Bridge
02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Talk about how goose bumpy something as little as that can get ya, I'm pretty sure when ICM is done in the '76 Golden West Ballroom show, you hear a young Ed say, "David Lee on the box!" I say God damn I love this band!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Well, if you search @WolfVanHalen on Twitter, you'll see that he gets a ton of miscellaneous crap...

But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they whipped out Big Bad Bill in Chicago.... :D

Dave's PA Rental
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Here's my 2 cents from what i've seen and heard so far...if you get offended with any negative comments about DLR, do not read any further.

Ed, Wolf and Alex are absolutely killing it. I really can't believe how great they are. They get A+s.

Dave has been ok. In my opinion, he has been the weak link, and i'm really dumbfounded as to why Dave would allow his performance to be so...average.

It didn't bother me back in the day when Dave would forget the fucking words. Eddie was wasted, Dave was wasted...they were in their late 20's early 30's and could pull that off. Now it does bother me. I don't need screams anymore. I don't need leg kicks anymore. Fuck it, I don't even care if they stand in the same spot all night...

STOP. FORGETTING. THE. FUCKING. WORDS.

I don't expect Dave to try and reproduce what the lyrics sounded like on the albums. Don't want that at all. But there are those moments in almost every song that I have seen from these few shows, where the difference in vocals is so distracting, IT TAKES ME OUT OF THE SONG.

How fucking bad-ass would it be if Dave could be as in-the-pocket with the lyrics as the band is with the music?

I think that the vast majority of the performances so far have been really good-to-great. But it's those distracting moments in each song where Dave is freestyling that bring my rating of him down to just "average".

RealTwisted
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
One thing I'm chuckling at with the crowds, and I'm sure it's every concert regardless of the act these days, is that looking from the back towards the stage, one sees the small screens of all the cameras have replaced lighters. That sucks for one reason.. all the lighters in the air provided cover for lighting the bowls and doobies as more and more venues went to non smoking.

Dave's PA Rental
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
One thing I'm chuckling at with the crowds, and I'm sure it's every concert regardless of the act these days, is that looking from the back towards the stage, one sees the small screens of all the cameras have replaced lighters. That sucks for one reason.. all the lighters in the air provided cover for lighting the bowls and doobies as more and more venues went to non smoking.

Nice...it's the "little things", right?

Marcus
02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Based on what I'm seeing online, I have two theories regarding Dave so far on this tour.

1. Ed and Wolf are much better on this tour than on the last tour. If everything is relative, Dave is not standing out as the star of the show because he is not sharing the stage with a shy 16 year old and a sorta strange dude without a shirt, who was not sober a large part of the time. And that's a great thing!

2. Related to the above point, Dave is trying and working really hard to keep up. Seems like he is trying to top his previous best. He didn't write lyrics about berries and bananas, he cares about this band, and the product they are selling. And that's another great thing.

I mean, he can always sing in a lower key. The fact that he is trying and reaching so hard makes me happy, even if he falls short. Then again based on what I've seen online I don't see the big deal. But that's just me.

MUSICMANN
02-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Here's my 2 cents from what i've seen and heard so far...if you get offended with any negative comments about DLR, do not read any further.

Ed, Wolf and Alex are absolutely killing it. I really can't believe how great they are. They get A+s.

Dave has been ok. In my opinion, he has been the weak link, and i'm really dumbfounded as to why Dave would allow his performance to be so...average.

It didn't bother me back in the day when Dave would forget the fucking words. Eddie was wasted, Dave was wasted...they were in their late 20's early 30's and could pull that off. Now it does bother me. I don't need screams anymore. I don't need leg kicks anymore. Fuck it, I don't even care if they stand in the same spot all night...

I don't expect Dave to try and reproduce what the lyrics sounded like on the albums. Don't want that at all. But there are those moments in almost every song that I have seen from these few shows, where the difference in vocals is so distracting, IT TAKES ME OUT OF THE SONG.

How fucking bad-ass would it be if Dave could be as in-the-pocket with the lyrics as the band is with the music?

I think that the vast majority of the performances so far have been really good-to-great. But it's those distracting moments in each song where Dave is freestyling that bring my rating of him down to just "average".

This right here proves that Dave is not the weak link. I personally don't think there is one. What i do believe is happening is that Dave and Wolf on certain songs are not meshing as good as others and it comes out as Dave registering higher on certain songs pre chorus's, thus it sounding a bit off. GGB from lat night is a perfect example of them not quite coming together as good as when MA was there. No doubt in my mind that, in time, that will be worked out and they will sound as good on every song as they do on WIL.

rocknrolldork
02-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Longest day at work ever. Ugh.

Like any good Van Halen show should start, we started in the parking lot. Giving a salute to old No. 7. Met up with Takin Whiskey and his fam at the brewpub after 3 hours of pre-game at Coaches. So being pumped and primed by 830-ish, it was time to make the way. We walked in and were not checked in the least. Lifted my arms, showed my waist and removed my hat. Dude didn't touch anyone. I knew this would be a great night.

Lights stayed dim between bands and dropped around 848. Bummed in the suites. Drank free and way too much over the course of the night. Ed, Alex and Wolf were on from note one. They played great the entire night. Dave was Dave. He's almost 60 and struggled at times, but hey...... Dave was there to host the party and he did a great job of it! I could not believe we got HAIL. The band killed it except for the rough ending. GGB was badass but have to admit that I was kind of wanting Outta Love Again. I spoke with some of the crew after the show and they all said VH have been getting along great. Ed feels "inspired to play." That definitely shows. They also said the band has played at least 10 tunes that have not yet shown up in the set. They wouldn't say what or when but hinted at more deep cuts coming during the tour. Wolf's sound is HUGE! Really bumping and thumping, which is what was missing during the 07-08 tour. That kid can play too. He is the real deal. You could see the VH chemistry between the 3 twins. Ed's solo and playing in general may be the best I have ever heard him play live or boot. Dave was sure happy to be home and it showed. There's not much else to be said that hasn't already been said other than I about jumped out of my skin when they played HAIL. I haven't heard that one live and in person since 81.

As far as Dave Lindquist's review of the show goes... He's pretty much is spot on. Dave has pretty good musical taste. His 1st concert may have been Survivor or whatever, but mine was the Osmonds and I'm sure there are bunches of people on here who saw shitty bands their 1st time out. He's a big CVH fan and probably would have written more than his 300 words or whatever, but he just lost his mom and I'm sure being at and reviewing the show was the last thing he wanted to do even if it was VH. So prayers and thoughts to Dave. I hope he can get another show so he can enjoy it a bit more.

My wife was uber-pissed last night. Partly because I was pretty drunk when I got home but me keeping on laughing and asking her to take her panties off sure didn't help. lol. She's much better now though.

It has been the longest day ever. Going to bed.

FALCO
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
This right here proves that Dave is not the weak link. I personally don't think there is one. What i do believe is happening is that Dave and Wolf on certain songs are not meshing as good as others and it comes out as Dave registering higher on certain songs pre chorus's, thus it sounding a bit off. GGB from lat night is a perfect example of them not quite coming together as good as when MA was there. No doubt in my mind that, in time, that will be worked out and they will sound as good on every song as they do on WIL.

Women In Love was perfect... and except for a few unnecessary journeys into the high range, so was Girl Gone Bad... THIS is the David Lee Roth that should be on every song... cool low voice, swagger and attitude... again... confusing...

\m/ \m/

ELVIS
02-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Thank you...

DavidLeeNatra
02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you...

whiny bitch... :biggrin:

SNIPER
02-24-2012, 12:06 AM
You gonna take that shit, E? what happen to TCB!? :biggrin:

SNIPER
02-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I am starting to see a lot of this guy in Dave's act. :bigwink:

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Yummy

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Plus tax...

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 12:16 AM
You're a beautiful audience...

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Thankya

SNIPER
02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Thats the way it is! Polk Salad Annie!

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Thankya verymuch...

SNIPER
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
The stage is bare, and I'm standing there, without any hair. HA!

DlocRoth
02-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Not apologizing for Dave here. He does sound a bit rough at times, but I think he's battling a cold.....

He's been coughing since at least the Wha? show....

He was clearing his throat during Women in Love.

Just sayin.

SunisinuS
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Not apologizing for Dave here. He does sound a bit rough at times, but I think he's battling a cold.....

Just sayin.

He did that all through the last tour also. Now he just forgets as he used to pull the mic away, now he tries to back hand that headset mic so it is not heard. Smoking.

Kicking it would bring a lot of his voice back.

FALCO
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM

Just sayin.

I think that could be something very possible...

After watching all the vids, I really think there is something seriously wrong with DLR and his voice...

Either that or he really cannot hear... he is straining and having difficulty singing parts (like in ChinaTown) that on record are in his comfort zone... and there are spots where he starts off strained then settles in... I've experienced it as a vocalist and its not fun...

I'm hoping its that he cannot hear... but there is definitely something strange going on...

SparkieD
02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
I think that could be something very possible...

After watching all the vids, I really think there is something seriously wrong with DLR and his voice...

Either that or he really cannot hear... he is straining and having difficulty singing parts (like in ChinaTown) that on record are in his comfort zone... and there are spots where he starts off strained then settles in... I've experienced it as a vocalist and its not fun...

I'm hoping its that he cannot hear... but there is definitely something strange going on...

I've been thinking that something's up for a lot of reasons. I didn't even really want to think about it let alone discuss it, but the possibility of a hearing issue would certainly explain that headset. With that in mind, it's high time for everybody to STFU about that.

FALCO
02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
I've been thinking that something's up for a lot of reasons. I didn't even really want to think about it let alone discuss it, but the possibility of a hearing issue would certainly explain that headset. With that in mind, it's high time for everybody to STFU about that.

Interesting... yes... let's hope it's the hearing issue...

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I mentioned that he may be under the weather or having trouble hearing a couple of times...

ZahZoo
02-24-2012, 08:50 AM

You can't really tie the headset microphone usage to a hearing problem...

There's two completely separate tools in use. The microphone is sending Dave's vocal out put to the sound system via a radio transmitter attached to Dave's belt under his shirt like what Ed & Wolfgang have attached to their guitars on the straps. The microphone signal runs to a receiving unit side stage and directly fed into the main PA controlled by the mixing board in the center of the house.

Separately there's a 2nd receiving device Dave is wearing attached to his belt that sends the sound monitor signals to his ear buds. It's controlled by the mixing board that sits below Ed's side of the stage. That sound is a blend of various levels of Dave's voice with guitar, bass and/or drums. The custom ear bud monitors actually isolate the wearer from much of the crowd and main sound system noise... So actually Dave should be able to hear way better than if they had those floor monitor speakers sending the sound up at him on stage.

I believe the singing issues are a combination of too much Red Bull, adrenalin, and Dave trying to hit octaves and singing volumes beyond his natural range. He's really at a high risk of completely blowing out his voice if he continues with this...

Dave's PA Rental
02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Women In Love was perfect... and except for a few unnecessary journeys into the high range, so was Girl Gone Bad... THIS is the David Lee Roth that should be on every song... cool low voice, swagger and attitude... again... confusing...

\m/ \m/

I agree...these two were very well done. Good to see/hear.

Jagermeister
02-24-2012, 08:56 AM
There's something to be said for seeing a show mid-tour, when most of the kinks are worked out. But, there's a certain "routine" that also sets in by that point - less spontaneity, less enthusiasm sometimes. So there's a tradeoff.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the band is actually noticing some of what is posted here and at other sites, and adjusting accordingly? I distinctly remember seeing posts about how fans wanted to see GGB and HAIL played live, and then suddenly... there they are! Coincidence? Maybe, but I do believe the band is listening to its fan base for the first time in a long time. It's awesome.

I hope they are nor listening now. All They are hearing form some of us is how bad Dave is singing. Which I will say again is complete bull shit.

SparkieD
02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
You can't really tie the headset microphone usage to a hearing problem...

... So actually Dave should be able to hear way better than if they had those floor monitor speakers sending the sound up at him on stage.

So what you're saying is that, yes, we can tie using the headset to a hearing problem. If he can hear better with them, it would make perfect sense.

BTW, my comment has nothing to do with any "singing issues." I'm digging the hell outta what I'm hearing, and not trying to pick apart anything that others are perceiving as negative. Glitches happen, especially early in a tour.

rocknrolldork
02-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I forgot to add... Whoever said Dave needs to lose the headset and get a floor wedge. Lose the headset yes, but fuck wedges. IEMs are def the way to go. Dave is far better off with IEMs than he ever would be with a wedge.

Jagermeister
02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I forgot to add... Whoever said Dave needs to lose the headset and get a floor wedge. Lose the headset yes, but fuck wedges. IEMs are def the way to go. Dave is far better of with IEMs than he ever would be with a wedge.

I said that and I disagree.

Dave's PA Rental
02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I hope they are nor listening now. All They are hearing form some of us is how bad Dave is singing. Which I will say again is complete bull shit.

I didn't say that Dave is singing badly. I said (and I think that Elvis agrees with me) that most of Dave's performance is very good-to-great! But it's those distracting sections of songs that "take me out of the moment" that keeps his performance from being ALL GREAT.

Dave is a genius, a master entertainer, and I think a tremendous musician. That is why I am surprised and confused at what he is doing. To use some sports analogies: Dave needs to just "skate his lane" and stop trying to hit a 6-run homerun with his voice everytime.

It's just my opinion, bro.

Von Halen
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Listen people, Dave has ALWAYS been the weak link. Or at least PERCEIVED as the weak link. For me personally, if it's perfect, it's NOT Van Halen. These are the same guys that left glaring and obvious mistakes on their albums. Were those mistakes as easy to fix as today? No. But they still could have been fixed. VH chose to leave those mistakes on vinyl. CHOSE to. It is part of their allure. Do I like the way Dave is singing every part of every song? No. But I'll tell you what, I closed my eyes at the Palace show the other night, and I went to a place I have not been since 1984. Fucking magic. If you weren't there in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1984, you just MIGHT NOT get it. Some of you will, but others won't. That's ok. If you are a true fan of this band, and their music truly moves you, I challenge you to go to a show, and walk out with some of the same hatred I am seeing spewed here in regards to Dave's performance. I really doubt you can do it. Like I, you might walk out thinking about the few spots Dave sounded like shit. But overall, you are going to be walking out with the biggest smile ever. You are going to know you just got ass raped by the baddest motherfucking rock and roll band on the planet, and you LIKED it!

Van Halen has never put on a perfect live show. But they have always put on the BEST live show.

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I didn't say that Dave is singing badly. I said (and I think that Elvis agrees with me) that most of Dave's performance is very good-to-great! But it's those distracting sections of songs that "take me out of the moment" that keeps his performance from being ALL GREAT.

Dave is a genius, a master entertainer, and I think a tremendous musician. That is why I am surprised and confused at what he is doing. To use some sports analogies: Dave needs to just "skate his lane" and stop trying to hit a 6-run homerun with his voice everytime.

It's just my opinion, bro.

And I agree totally...

rocknrolldork
02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I said that and I disagree.

Help me understand this please. How would he be better off struggling to hear himself? I've played some pretty big stages with high volume, side fills and wedges and always had issues hearing my vox no matter how long it took to work on the levels. Even multiple nights with the same road crew and gear. The worst part is hearing the snapback from the back of the room. IEMs eliminated all those issues and kept the stage clean. So how would a wedge help at all.

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Van Halen has never put on a perfect live show. But they have always put on the BEST live show.

I totally agree and I do get...

The money I've put out on Van Halen over the years is a good indicator that I get it, not to mention my dedication to the Army...

I just think it's silly that posting observations on a website and critiquing this or that is frowned upon by so many...

I'm not in the dick sucking crowd that says everything is stellar and epic when clearly it is not...

But, V A N H A L E N is bringing it live in front of our naked, steaming eyes, and I wouldn't miss it for the world !!

Jagermeister
02-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Help me understand this please. How would he be better off struggling to hear himself? I've played some pretty big stages with high volume, side fills and wedges and always had issues hearing my vox no matter how long it took to work on the levels. Even multiple nights with the same road crew and gear. The worst part is hearing the snapback from the back of the room. IEMs eliminated all those issues and kept the stage clean. So how would a wedge help at all.

Simple. He has done it almost his intire career. And no disrespet to you but they have sound guys that make sure that shit works the way it should. Did they use IEMs in 07-08? I don't think they did but I may be wrong.

So this is love
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Wow its groundhog day. Same ol shit different day.

vh rides again
02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I totally agree and I do get...

The money I've put out on Van Halen over the years is a good indicator that I get it, not to mention my dedication to the Army...

I just think it's silly that posting observations on a website and critiquing this or that is frowned upon by so many...

I'm not in the dick sucking crowd that says everything is stellar and epic when clearly it is not...

But, V A N H A L E N is bringing it live in front of our naked, steaming eyes, and I wouldn't miss it for the world !!

I agree

I dunno about a couple of these vids, it's like Dave can't hear himself on a couple song and is singing way out of tune.
But then they did panama, rwtd and Romeo d like champions.

I think everyone has to take it for what it is, it's a recording of a live show, you would really have to be there to appreciate it.

I have been to a lot of concerts in my days and very rarely do I walk away saying that anyone sounded stellar.

In my opinion, nobody can compete with judas priest in the live sound department .
You wanna hear bad? I've seen guns and roses 3 times and I'm here to tell you that asshole rose cannot sing, at all. I've seen chicks in bars sing better than he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll

Va Beach VH Fan
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Just sayin.

I think they're ALL battling a cold....

Ed has been blowing his nose even since the Cafe Wha? show, including this past show in Indy....

Al was sniffling all through that VH Interview....

kwame k
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Ed has been blowing his nose even since the Cafe Wha? show, including this past show in Indy....

OMG! OMG!

What if it's not a cold and they're all doing coke again!!!!!!!!

I better start a new thread about this in the Main:headlights:

Vinnie Velvet
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Let's not go there.

Spammy McFaggot will get wind of this and say "..they are not even healthy for the tour. I give my fans 110% and they know it. I make sure I am in the best of shape. I will make sure I am not sick before I start a show....."

private parts
02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Kiss Dressed to Kill, Kiss Alive and VHII were the first records my parents bought me when I was a little kid a million years ago. I heard the same thing about Kiss Alive and it kinda ruined it for me a little bit too. I also heard that Peter Chris' drums were the only thing left virtually untouched on Alive which made me happy being a drummer. BTW if anyone wants to check out my crappy band live, feel free to rip us apart or not....check out 4th coming live@ lulu's on youtube.....im playing drums and singing all the leads. If I suck.....let me have it!!!!

Checked it out on the "tube"! Nice job!

fryingdutchman
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Here's hoping that everybody feels better by 3/24....

ZahZoo
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
So what you're saying is that, yes, we can tie using the headset to a hearing problem. If he can hear better with them, it would make perfect sense.

I guess I'm not following correctly... if Dave switches to a traditional hand-held microphone with or without a mic stand... nothing changes from a hearing issue. The in-ear monitors function independently whether the mic is clipped to his ear or held in his hand.

SparkieD
02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I guess I'm not following correctly... if Dave switches to a traditional hand-held microphone with or without a mic stand... nothing changes from a hearing issue. The in-ear monitors function independently whether the mic is clipped to his ear or held in his hand.

A hearing issue was mere speculation on my part anyway. It would have been a good reason for everybody to quit bitching about the headset.

sadaist
02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
If it is a cold or the flu or a bug....you don't heal up nearly as fast when working or traveling. What takes 4-5 days in your own bed can maybe take a couple/few weeks on tour. But this aint the type of job you can call in sick. (Axl should take note)

hambon4lif
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
A hearing issue was mere speculation on my part anyway. It would have been a good reason for everybody to quit bitching about the headset.They would've bitched about it regardless. And if it wasn't about the headset, then it would've been about something else, 'cause they're all just a bunch of bitches.:fencing:

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe Dave has the swine flu !!!

ELVIS
02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
They would've bitched about it regardless. And if it wasn't about the headset, then it would've been about something else, 'cause they're all just a bunch of bitches.:fencing:

Yeah, like his gay stars shirt or his shoe shine boy hat...

:biggrin:

1980Invasion
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426060_380702555273718_100000019303602_1538325_518 841771_n.jpg

1980Invasion
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/432173_179106122200277_100003026727304_258192_2070 054030_n.jpg

diamondclaudio
02-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, I´m so happy they did HAIL, for me as a fan it was technically acceptable, and emotionally was very good, Maybe in Dave better days, whose might come back later ( never underestimate Dave!), this could even improve. But, let´s remind all Hagar and Cherone versions of CVH, they were super weak , they sucked so far so , come on, let´s face time it`s makin`its way even with our heroes but they still manage to carry a train loaded with integrity. I wonder who young singer acts with the class and the energy of old Dave. Name one, Van Halen, even in their weak point, rules in a worls of bievers.

vandeleur
02-24-2012, 06:30 PM
my two penneth .... for what tis worth ... ... is dave trying to hard .. fuck yeah .. .cool its dave he will come good .. are the band sounding great ...fuck yeah the random factor the ed factor is on fire .. at some point the band will click and it will be melt down ... some town is gonna get ripped a new one ... .until then any percent van halen beat 100 percent any one else ...
Am stoked about the whole thing , tour ,cd .. videos the lot ... this is like christmas eve when i was a kid ...but thats just me .

vanshipman
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Kind of weird that the Halens are the ones bringing the A game and Dave is catching the heat... Poor Wolfgang got razzed as much as his Pop the last go round. They're making up for it like a mutha now...

njbill
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Holy fucking shit... they played Hear About it Later............???!!! fuckin a, I hope they play it at boardwalk hall.

So this is love
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Holy fucking shit... they played Hear About it Later............???!!! fuckin a, I hope they play it at boardwalk hall.

this thread is still alive!!!

VAiN
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM

I've been thinking this same thing for a couple of weeks now..

Carmine
03-04-2012, 06:22 AM
I just got the DVD of this show last night...Thanks Mewisemagic...

What an excellent recording!! Everyone should grab this boot!

Mr Walker
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I just got the DVD of this show last night...Thanks Mewisemagic...

What an excellent recording!! Everyone should grab this boot!

Agreed... the best quality (audio & video) VH live dvd I've ever seen... hopefully there will be more to follow.

twonabomber
03-05-2012, 08:52 AM
where's everyone gettin' this DVD from?

Von Halen
03-05-2012, 08:54 AM
where's everyone gettin' this DVD from?

Yeah Mr. Wanker. WTF? Share the wealth.

Jagermeister
03-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Yeah no shit. I'll trade Mr. Wanker the Cafe Wha? DVD for the indy DVD and I'll send both to Von since Wanker is holding out on him.

Mr Walker
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm trying to work something up in the bootleg forum.
I have no special connections or anything... the Indy DVD is at Jam To This.
I'm trying to create a way to get shows to people who aren't familiar with torrents, downloading, burning and all that other horse shit.

Von Halen
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to create a way to get shows to people who aren't familiar with torrents, downloading, burning and all that other horse shit.

I have an idea. Burn it to a DVD and send it to us.

They do have postal facilities in that shithole NJ, don't they?

Jagermeister
03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm trying to work something up in the bootleg forum.
I have no special connections or anything... the Indy DVD is at Jam To This.

If I can help let me know.

Jagermeister
03-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I have an idea. Burn it to a DVD and send it to us.

They do have postal facilities in that shithole NJ, don't they?

I am sure Walker has no problem with that and neither do I.

Von Halen
03-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I am sure Walker has no problem with that and neither do I.

Obviously he does. I just went and checked my mailbox. Empty.

Jagermeister
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Obviously he does. I just went and checked my mailbox. Empty.

:biggrin:

Mr Walker
03-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Screen Cap

Jagermeister
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Footage of a complete Van Halen show from their current tour has surfaced.

Fan-filmed video of the band’s February 22 gig in Indianapolis gives viewers the ability to check out a full 2012 Van Halen concert.

The Indy date was the third show on the tour, following the February 18 opening night in Louisville, Kentucky and a February 20 concert in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

The 24-song set (including solos) featured a variety of tracks from the Van Halen catalogue, rarely-performed songs like 1981’s “Hear About It Later” and 1984’s “Girl Gone Bad,” and four tunes from the new “A Different Kind Of Truth” album.

The footage may turn out to be a rarity in Van Halan history: it’s one of the few shows featuring David Lee Roth wearing a headset microphone unit, as he did for the first dates of the tour; after experiencing some technical issues with the gear, Roth has since switched to a more traditional wireless microphone.

The tour hits Montreal on Wednesday and Toronto on Saturday – the day after bassist Wolfgang Van Halen turns 21.

Van Halen
Banker’s Life Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, IN – February 22, 2012

01. You Really Got Me (The Kinks cover)
02. Runnin' With the Devil
03. She's The Woman
04. Romeo Delight
05. Tattoo
06. Everybody Wants Some!!
07. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
08. China Town
09. Hear About It Later
10. Oh, Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison cover)
11. Drum Solo
12. Unchained
13. The Trouble with Never
14. Dance The Night Away
15. I'll Wait
16. Hot For Teacher
17. Women In Love
18. Girl Gone Bad
19. Beautiful Girls
20. Ice Cream Man (John Brim cover)
21. Panama
22. Guitar Solo