PDA

View Full Version : your dream Kool & the Gang setlist?

twonabomber
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
alright boys and girls, post up your favorite Kool & the Gang songs here!

i only have one prediction, Kool will close their set with Celebration. i may not be in the room to hear it, though.

basstar66
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
thats pretty much it , just do a 40 min version of celebration :bigwink:

Vinnie Velvet
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Ok....let's give it a try:

1. Jungle Boogie
2. Ladies Night
3. Joanna
4. Get Down on It
5. Hollywood Swinging
6. Fresh
7. Too Hot
8. Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)
9. Let's Go Dancin' (Ooh, la, la, La)
10. Celebration

TJMKID
01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
alright boys and girls, post up your favorite Kool & the Gang songs here!

i only have one prediction, Kool will close their set with Celebration. i may not be in the room to hear it, though.

Picking Kool and the Gang as an opening act only further proves Dave's genius ---- "I've got a surgically-implanted disco beat"

Songs like "Cherish" and "Joanna" are a little too Van Hagarish sappy for me ---- so a good time for last-minute piss break and beer run before VH storms the stage.

They'd be retarded not to finish their set with "Celebration" ---- but they also had radio hits like "Get Down On It" that will get the VH crowd boogey-in' in the aisles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI

Just remember Dave's secret to becoming popular during the club days ---- "Van Halen was the only band making rock music you could dance to"

hambon4lif
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
1. Tonight (badass groove & smokin' guitar solo)
2. Misled
3. Get Down On It
4. Ladie's Night
5. Fresh
6. Too Hot
7. Stone Love

inevitab;y they'll do Celebration and maybe Joanna, but I doesn't matter. I'm just really glad they're on this tour.

"It's all Kool And The Gang, baby!"

Etienne
01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/music-smileys/trumpet.gif

clarathecarrot
01-06-2012, 01:56 PM
There is some discussion points in this thread , starts on page 14 (abouts) in; "The New Van Halen Footage...."(thread)

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?63821-New-VH-Footage-!!!!-2012-tickets-on-sale-Jan-10th!!!&p=1585867&viewfull=1#post1585867

When I was in highschool if I didn't like the tune playing on my local hard rock radio station I had one of my presets tuned to the local soul station this was before rap was the predominant music ( hate to use that term -music-...rap is just one -artist- hate to use that term, copying what the last hit was note for note rewritten with different words, they are all just copies of what the latest electro trac is)..anywhoooo...the soul station was a mix of old motown and new disco and r&b, just some of the finest music to hit vinyl...love Cool and The Gang..long time hit making band that plays some mean Brass!.

The 70's baby! and I ain't only talking about the music....mmmmmm...furry..lol

jhale667
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Some of my friends are questioning that choice as well, but "Jungle Boogie" is F*ing cool, I don't care who you are... :lmao: Van Halen opening acts are (and with the exception of a few shows with AIC, IIRC?) and always have been all about getting sh*tfaced before the REAL attraction hits the stage anyway! :baaa:

sadaist
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
The boys from Kool & The Gang are going to make more money for themselves on this tour since..........well, ever. Good for them & good on VH. Gonna be a fun tour for sure.

ps - Dave just bringing them so he doesn't have to send his guy out in each town to find a bag of weed.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
My answer is: Irrelevant Question

VA will be drinking in the concourse !!!

TJMKID
01-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Some of my friends are questioning that choice as well, but "Jungle Boogie" is F*ing cool, I don't care who you are... :lmao: Van Halen opening acts are (and with the exception of a few shows with AIC, IIRC?) and always have been all about getting sh*tfaced before the REAL attraction hits the stage anyway! :baaa:

Any good opening act only has to meet 2 criteria:

1) Be good enough to prevent the audience from falling asleep
2) Dont be so good that we can't sneak away for a bathroom break or a beer run

Kool and the Gang fits the bill perfectly ---- Dave made the right choice

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 02:27 PM
:doh:

jhale667
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
:doh:

Dave picked them especially for YOU... :lol:

FORD
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Jungle Boogie is the only Kool & The Gang song I ever really liked.

A surprising choice for an opening act, yet very "Dave" somehow.

Though Eddie must be a fan too, just listen to the riff of the Van Hagar song "Best of Both Worlds". :biggrin:

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I obviously missed something which is understandable with everything going on. Did they actually announce this to be true?

jhale667
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Amazed people are even complaining about it - We get to see VH play NEW TUNES WITH DAVE... STFU. A trained yak could open for them, I'll be there! :baaa:

FORD
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe WARF suggested it to them last night? We know he's a fan...... (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?36383-Kool-amp-The-Gang)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Maybe WARF suggested it to them last night? We know he's a fan...... (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?36383-Kool-amp-The-Gang)

He's famous on the Internet, ya know.... ;)

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Amazed people are even complaining about it - We get to see VH play NEW TUNES WITH DAVE... STFU. A trained yak could open for them, I'll be there! :baaa:

Damn it jhale I haven't complained about anything since yesterday. All I did was ask if they had officially announced it or is this the Roth Army Cool and the Gang fan club putting together a wish list.

VHscraps
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Jungle Boogie is the only Kool & The Gang song I ever really liked.

A surprising choice for an opening act, yet very "Dave" somehow.

Though Eddie must be a fan too, just listen to the riff of the Van Hagar song "Best of Both Worlds". :biggrin:

Yep - wonder if they are gonna hit Ed up for royalties ...! Check it out for those who never noticed before, it's the main riff that kicks in at 0:17secs

binnie
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's mine:

Kool & The Gang come on stage, say 'Hi, we're Kool & The Gang'.

Then they walk off and the video screens play 45 minutes of pron instead of their set.

Sensible Shoes
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree with Binnie. Except I don't care about the Pron. I want to be in the bar across the street drinking with the VH peeps until VH comes on.

binnie
01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree with Binnie. .

It's been a long time since a woman has said that. :D

indeedido
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh yes it's ladies night, oh what a sight. OH WHAT A SIGHT

Northern Girl
01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Really have no interest in seeing them! :indifferent0020:

bru87tr
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I think K&TG is a great choice and not suprised, Dave totally picked them.

I always thought the "Emergency" album was cool, as well as a lot of their old tunes.

bru87tr
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Dude, where is Misled ? That is totally better than Fresh! :)

I would even pick Emergency over it, which is another cool tune.

Just joking with ya, Fresh is great, I always like this album.

Ok....let's give it a try:

1. Jungle Boogie
2. Ladies Night
3. Joanna
4. Get Down on It
5. Hollywood Swinging
6. Fresh
7. Too Hot
8. Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)
9. Let's Go Dancin' (Ooh, la, la, La)
10. Celebration

Antman
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Seriously, Kool and the Gang??? WTF? More beers at Mustang Harry's when they play the Garden. Or Cooper's Tavern.

Antman
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Opening acts have never really been VH's strong suit.

twonabomber
01-07-2012, 01:15 AM
He's famous on the Internet, ya know.... ;)

i created a monster! or at least a catchphrase.

WARF should get business cards made up, the pic with him & Dave and "i'm kind of famous on the internet!"

twonabomber
01-07-2012, 01:21 AM

and more importantly, they know that Kool ain't gonna blow them of the stage...

Sensible Shoes
01-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey look. I was a disco queen even when I was listening to VH secretly. And *I* don't even want to hear Kool and the Gang.

Sensible Shoes
01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
And if DDE rep is looking, there are TONS of places in Buffalo that Kool and the Gang could go to jam afterwards. As inappropriate as it sounds, "The colored musicians club" comes to mind. And I am not making that up or being derogatory. That's what it was called in the 1920's and that's what it's still called now. Or the Anchor Bar, which has music on Friday nights, and which invented the Chicken Wing.

jhale667
01-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Damn it jhale I haven't complained about anything since yesterday. All I did was ask if they had officially announced it or is this the Roth Army Cool and the Gang fan club putting together a wish list.

"This isn't about you!" :lol:

Seriously - got a Facebook page or Twitter feed? There are complainers! A trained yak, I say! :hee:

Hardrock69
01-07-2012, 02:42 AM
VH has a history of picking bands that are past their prime (was it 5150 when they had BTO open for them?) but who are worthy of giving a boost to their careers....

This is in addition (of course) to the early days when they booked bands to open for them that absolutely SUCKED FUCKING ASS. Like G-Force, for one.

Never seen Kool & The Gang. Would not mind seeing them at all. Nice if they got the Temptations to open for them. Any of those great 70s Soul bands is fine with me.

Too bad Curtis Mayfield is no longer with us. If he had not been in that fucking traffic accident back in the 90s he might still be. Superfly!

Whatever. They could get fucking Bette Midler to open for them (the REAL Bette Midler) and I would not give a fuck. I am not there to see the opening band.

I AM THERE TO SEE THE MOTHERFUCKING MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!

To hear "Jungle Boogie" over a LOUD PA would RULE, as that fucking riff is a badass mother (shut your mouf!) :D

Va Beach VH Fan
01-07-2012, 08:49 AM
"Where's VA??"

"Oh he's still in the concourse drinking"

Have I mentioned that ?? ;)

Antman
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
If Kool and the Gang opens for Van Halen and no one's there to see them, do they still make a sound?

hain23x
01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
If they play this along with Jungle Boogie it'll be pumpin':rockit2:

philouze
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Spirit Of The Boogie
Jungle Boogie
Get Down On It
Misled
Ladies Night
Chickenshit Boogie

Hardrock69
01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Something interesting.....I was under the impression that K & TG was not opening on all dates, but LiveNation shows them as being the opener on ALL dates listed so far.

I am happy for K & TG. They get some massive exposure out of this.

I would like to hear the story of how this came about. Sure, I bet a dollar that it is Uncle Dave's doing, but I mean, does he know someone in the band? Or has he just been a fan of theirs forever? Did K & TG's management approach VH out of left field wanting to open for them? Would be interesting to hear things from the K & TG point of view....what they thought when approached.....I bet they were really surprised to be asked.....

Seshmeister
01-07-2012, 08:07 PM
"Where's VA??"

"Oh he's still in the concourse drinking"

Have I mentioned that ?? ;)

Half drunk and shouting trying to have a conversation with 'Celebration' on in the background.

It will be like every wedding reception I've ever been to.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
I agree with Binnie. Except I don't care about the Pron. I want to be in the bar across the street drinking with the VH peeps until VH comes on.

drinkin' out in the motorhome next to the semi trailers, throwin' the football around with the roadies :thumb:

hambon4lif
01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I dig the diversity, and I am fuckin' STOKED that these guys are opening.

I'm having my Capezio's re-soled, and I'm getting there early, 'cause HamDaddy's gonna get his mutherfuckin' swerve-on!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't care what anyone says, I dig the diversity, and I am fuckin' STOKED that these guys are opening.

I'm having my Capezio's re-soled, and I'm getting there early, 'cause HamDaddy's gonna get his mutherfuckin' swerve-on!

are there still nine in the band? :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8: :cool8:

Dan
01-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Robert "Kool" Bell
Ronald Bell (Khalis Bayyan)
George Brown
Dennis Thomas
Clifford Adams
Sonnie "Skip" Martin
Shawn McQuiller
Rodney Ellis
Jirmad Gordon and Curtis "Fitz" Williams

Mushroom
01-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Sugar
Who's Gonna Take The Weight
Let The Music Take Your Mind
Funky Stuff
Summer Madness
Celebration

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 02:29 AM
So there are 10 in the band. Groovy man.

Nitro Express
01-08-2012, 02:43 AM
I love funk but then I'm a bass player. Funk was way better than the rap shit. We went from getting your groove on to gang banging and brain damage.

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Yup. Gotta agree there. We went from actually playing instruments, to programming a bunch of annoying loops and other fakery. Takes no talent for any of that.

VAiN
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
My dream Kool & The Gang setlist: A short one.

I'll be doing a tour of the beer stands until showtime.

Terry
01-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Kool & the Gang?

Well, they can actually play...honestly, I can't say as I'd be rushing to the arena to catch their set. Van Halen with Roth has never been a case of getting there early in order to catch the opening act, and this time around won't really be an exception.

BumBahDeeDah
01-12-2012, 03:40 AM
NO one likes 'Open Sesame"?!

mug
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
love the gang.

mug
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Dan, how do you know there names pretty good for a young guy. if i had known that i would have played you some during your visit. They could play a hour set in my mind.

BITEYOASS
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I hope they at least play "Jungle Boogie"

mug
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
ky mani marley had about 10 members also ??

BITEYOASS
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I kinda wish they had a really crappy opening act instead. So I can work on my throwing arm. :hee:

tjvhou812
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
who cares! im gonna be in the parking lot drinking

twonabomber
01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
i'm pleasantly surprised this thread stayed in Main for a week.

tod
01-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Here's my list..gimme some skin brothers and sisters cuz it is what it is:

Tonight
Rhythm and Ride
Too Hot
Ladies Night
The Weight
Fruitman
Super Band
Street Corner Symphony
Straight Ahead

SunisinuS
01-13-2012, 12:36 AM
who cares! im gonna be in the parking lot drinking

That is Exactly Why Dave Booked them. See, the reason you get the HOUSE listening to House Music is because Van Halen will blow the Roof Off after you are "Nicely" Drunk.

Scheming that Bastard is:

Sorry Dupe of Get Donnait. But gospel truth.

:brainiac:

5 of the original band members are on the stage (Kool on bass, Khalim on sax; DT on sax; Charles on guitar; George on drums, percussion on this tune; look for the ones over 50); otherwise, they've hired people to fill the slots. Piano player and trumpet have died (guitarist has also died since this video; RIP, Charles). JT, the singer from the 80s, is still alive, but he left the band a decade ago.

They still workin'.

Nj Kool.

tod
01-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I keep imagining EVH and DLR coming out during that song dressed as Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction.

Dan
01-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Dan, how do you know there names pretty good for a young guy. if i had known that i would have played you some during your visit. They could play a hour set in my mind.

Mug,I'm A Brother From Another Mother.:D

Dan
01-13-2012, 01:14 AM
ky mani marley had about 10 members also ??

Yes,He Had 10 Rolled Up Members In His Hat.:D

gbranton
01-13-2012, 03:54 AM
I kinda wish they had a really crappy opening act instead. So I can work on my throwing arm. :hee:

The first time I saw Van Halen After the Fire was the opening act and they got pelted with beer cups throughout their set, ever during "Der Kamissar". The next time was a local band who had (no shit) won a local competition to open for Van Halen called Chuckwagon. Same result. So history does point toward a lack of stellar double bills on Van Halen tours.

That said, I'll go ahead and rate Kool above Chuckwagon and ATF but below Autograph. I suppose I will enjoy Get Down On It, Jungle Boogie, Too Hot and Misled.

Johnniebhoy
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
They could have fucking Coldplay open for them and I wouldn't care!

It's VH with Dave and new songs!!

I'm sure Kool and the Gang will get the party started just fine!

IceCreamBlondie
01-18-2012, 01:29 AM
I would love to see Kool and the Gang perform Jungle Boogie! Pulp Fiction, anyone?

Panamark
01-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Interesting choice for support !

For the black man trapped in a white mans body I wonder ?

Better include some reefer in the medication pack for this tour !

Sesh, I would have thought the scottish authorities would have
made " Wet Wet Wet" the compulsory wedding song advocates ?

Carmine
01-18-2012, 08:08 AM
I think this is just a great gesture to K@TG on Van Halen's part...to throw a bone like this to these guys...even if they get a 10% take on the tour gross of whats sure to be a 100 million plus....they grab 10 mill at a time in their careers when they couldn't do that kind of gate if they played every night for a year...not only will they have the VH fans dancin in the aisles...like everyone has said before...this is no doubt, Dave's doing.

So this is love
01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I think this is just a great gesture to K@TG on Van Halen's part...to throw a bone like this to these guys...even if they get a 10% take on the tour gross of whats sure to be a 100 million plus....they grab 10 mill at a time in their careers when they couldn't do that kind of gate if they played every night for a year...not only will they have the VH fans dancin in the aisles...like everyone has said before...this is no doubt, Dave's doing.

10 mill????? I think 1 mill plus hotel rooms is the max they get....

Jérôme Frenchise
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Kool and the Gang definitely looks like Dave's idea. It's a very good one, as it will draw folks from our generation to the VH gigs - but I don't think VH needs any support to fill arenas... Some K&G fans might buy tickets some VH fans won't be able to get, but that's part of the deal...

I could never really stand Kool and the Gang because of one of my high school mates who was a fan of them, it got on my nerves, though it made me think twice, as he would date a little more chicks at week-ends with his dancing skills, the bastard! :D

In his book, Dave wrote that he loved CHIC (too bad Bernard Edwards is dead now, because then Chic would probably open for them this year instead of K&G) - he even said that in his opinion they were the Led Zeppelin of disco!

Earth Wind & Fire were great too IMO.

Anyway, the choice of having K&G as opening act is surprising, funny and bold!

VHJay
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
You know what? I am actually looking forward to Kool & The Gang. Better than Kymani Marley any day. I never would have imagined them as the opener for VH, but what the hell, why not? I'm ready to get my funky soul music on before boogieing down to the brown sound of VH!!!

BumBahDeeDah
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought about EWF, I wonder if Dave/VH did, but they're probably busy and sorta too big for this slot. Besides, Verdine White and Diamond Dave on the same bill?

John_Downing
01-26-2012, 05:51 AM
I am kind of Baffled about K&TG myself, but hope to use it to my advantage when I am buying my tickets at 10:00:01 on Saturday. Better Seats.

Dave's Bitch
01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
I am finding it really hard to understand why Kool & The Gang are opening for VH.As i see it the two just do not go together.Can anyone enlighten me,even slightly?.They are a jazzy R&B pop funk ensemble and Van Halen are balls to the wall rock.I would guess a complete contrast in audience.The way i understand outfits like Kool & The Gang's following and Van Halen fan's,They are aware of each other,They know where the other one lives but try to avoid each other where possible.Gotta say Im scratching my head on that one

Northern Girl
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
I am finding it really hard to understand why Kool & The Gang are opening for VH.As i see it the two just do not go together.Can anyone enlighten me,even slightly

Robert "Kool" Bell has plenty of reason to celebrate the good times these days.

"Have you heard the news?" he said, calling to talk about Kool and the Gang's upcoming show at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort.

A week to the day after they join The Commodores in Mount Pleasant, Bell and his bandmates hit the road with Van Halen on its 40th anniversary reunion tour with David Lee Roth.

"You know there are a lot of people scratching their heads over that one," he said, chuckling. "We were playing the Glastonbury Festival in London – it's a big one, with rockers like U2 and Coldplay – and David Lee Roth saw us there."

It's not such a stretch, he said, as the two groups were working their way up the ranks at the same time. And the tour's titled a reunion celebration, tying into one of Kool and the Gang's biggest hits.

"I've known Eddie Van Halen since back in the '70s," Bell said. "And we have a section of our show, you'll see at Soaring Eagle, where we're doing our Kool Rock, with an AOR (album-oriented rock) feel to it. We're just coming full circle with this tour."

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/01/experience_kool_and_the_gang_a.html

hambon4lif
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
BUMPin' this with some Forum footage.
The band sounds tighter than a nuns cunt!
J.T. is a good frontman, but this new singer has some stagecraft.

I'm definitely getting there early!:thumb: