PDA

View Full Version : Barney G (Ash's crippled mate)

Barney G
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

I have decided to join the Roth Army given that there are great things happening with Van Halen and I have plenty of time on my hands.

I believe Ash has spoken of my unfortunate incident, where as lovely old lady (74 old) decided not to give way and ran me down on my motorcycle, leading to months in hospital, coma, heaps of surgery etc.

Like Ash I an a guitarist and lover of all types of music including of course VH.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all and talking anything from Rock to radiology with you.

Cheers

Barney G

Sarge's Little Helper
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Barney G Welcome to The Diamond David Lee Roth Army! The ROTH ARMY carries the Van Halen Torch, Diamond David Lee Roth Style! This is where Classic Van Halen is celebrated and Diamond Dave reigns as the Supreme Toastmaster of the Immoral Majority. Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay!

ashstralia
01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
aah, welcome my brother! pull up a seat, grab a beer and enjoy the show!!!:welcome:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
:welcome:

Diamondjimi
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/Welcometothearmy-dj-2010.jpg

Welcome Barney. Good to have you aboard!
:beers8:

SunisinuS
01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Literally , glad you are amongst us.

I know Mean Street will get you up and Dancing once again.

:appl:

clarathecarrot
01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Barney G, Ash has kept us updated on your recovery.

A life interupted kind of a deal there.

All my best wishes.

:beers8:

Welcome to the site.

Sensible Shoes
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Welcome! We'll keep you occupied!

kwame k
01-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Welcome my brother..........

How ya healing up?

Dan
01-06-2012, 11:34 PM
More Bloody Aussies.:D

Welcome.:D

Hardrock69
01-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Wow! Welcome Barney! Yeah, Ash clued us in on what happened.

We all have been pulling for ya here. bro. Glad you decided to take the plunge and sign up!

Just a few things you should know.

1. A thick skin is a must. We get into some pretty heated "discussions" about some things. And there are many trolls who like to stop in and create trouble from time to time.
Being a friend of Ash, well, your reputation precedes you. But don't freak out if sometimes we blast people here who get out of line. Some of us can be quite the loose cannons at times. In a Roth Army sorta way. ;)

2. Posting while drunk or on drugs is perfectly acceptable around here.

3. We do not care much for Spammy Hagar. Ridiculing him is encouraged.

4. We DO have an incredible management team here, and a great buncha blokes who are the hardcore Army guys. So pull up a wheelchair, and feel free to post whatever you want!

Welcome to the greatest Van Halen community on the planet! :D

Grant
01-07-2012, 05:04 AM
Welcome Barns! (finally!!!) ;)

As already mentioned, yeah ash has given us full updates on your recovery - and glad to hear that things are slowly getting back on the mend for you. :thumb:

There's an Aussie football (NRL) thread going here. Even if you don't follow any particular team or don't care for sport in general, always feel free to shoot the shit in regards to practically anything really (e.g. Is Karl Stefanovic a bloody wanker or what)

:hitch:

ashstralia
01-07-2012, 06:28 AM
brilliant, guys!

barns, you need an avatar dude... may i suggest this?
capt. goodvibes.

ashstralia
01-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Being a friend of Ash, well, your reputation precedes you.

thanks hr; i appreciate your compliment. :yo:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
welcome to the show :baaa:

FORD
01-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Welcome aboard, Barney! Good to hear you're recovering well.

Barney G
01-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies,

The recovery is going well albeit slowly.

To go from 1 week in a coma and then risking losing your leg to keeping the leg and recovering hasn't been an overnight job.

When I got t boned by the 4WD I had some 27 breaks in various bones (both arms/hands/wrists), ribs both sides back and front, 11 just in my right leg which was basically crushed.

They had to pull muscle from my back to rebuild the lower part of my leg and I have metal rods all the way from my hip to my ankle (internally). I still am not 100% weight bearing and am up to 5 months off work thus far HOWEVER it won't be long until I can fully weight bear, return to work and most importantly stand up with a guitar.

I am a member of the poweslide forum (motorcycle racing) and love the camaraderie, arguments, lovers haters, fan boys boners and all the other sorts that lurk on the net.

This gives me a music forum to go along with my other passion (motorcycles and racing) and as I said a number of planets are aligning in regard to VH touring, Ash and I doing some live and original music soon so I love it all.

Thanks.

Barney G

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Shall we call you "Pegleg"? :hee:

Man. Lot more serious than I realized, though I knew it was serious.

Glad you are getting better, but for the rest of your life you will have explaining to do when going through the metal detectors at airports. ;)

lesfunk
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Welcome Barney. Keep up the recovery mate.

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Barney Cripple has a great ring to it. :)

You should get your username changed...

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
When I got t boned by the 4WD I had some 27 breaks in various bones (both arms/hands/wrists), ribs both sides back and front, 11 just in my right leg which was basically crushed.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I honestly think you should have to show there is a reason you need a 4WD other than 'I just like being higher up than other traffic'. At least you don't see the bull bars so much these days they used to kill dozens of people.

I'm not talking about people in rural areas but over here you have all these people driving these big fucking things that never leave the city. You even have them buying 'spray on mud'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/jun/14/uknews

Legislation here at least means that these things don't have to have bumpers/fenders at the same height as everyone else and they don't have to have collapsible structures making them a fuck of a lot more dangerous for any poor bastard that they run into.

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 04:38 AM
it's a bit different here seshy my mate... there are many parts of the shire where a 4wd is an absolute necessity. but i agree with you for cities.

oi barney!!! come and bling up your shit! it's a bit boring. :biggrin:

Barney G
01-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Bling will arrive soon - I will have a couple of weeks at Mum and Dad's soon with little real entertainment bar the computer and I plan to stylise this then.

Otherwise thanks to all who wish me well on the recovery - it is coming along.

I managed to spend about 3 hours on the guitar tonight so another part of the recovery (mood) is improving!

VAiN
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Welcome aboard, Barney!

ThrillsNSpills
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Barney,,

All the best to you and welcome.

A wiser man than myself said we grow most when having to overcome things much bigger than ourselves.
or somethin' like that.

:yo:

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Bling will arrive soon - I will have a couple of weeks at Mum and Dad's soon with little real entertainment bar the computer and I plan to stylise this then.

I managed to spend about 3 hours on the guitar tonight so another part of the recovery (mood) is improving!

excellent!!!:clap:

Dan
01-21-2012, 08:07 PM
What NRL Team Do You Support?

Panamark
01-22-2012, 01:38 AM
G'day Barney and welcome !

When I had my bike accident I remember being in the emergency room and thinking
FUCK, I wont be able to play again. It was my number one thought the whole time.
Glad to hear you are making progress there !
Must be a huge relief in the circumstances.
I only had 8 breaks, but all in my fretting arm.
You beat me hands down there !!
Best of luck getting back into it mate

Cheers,

-Mark

Panamark
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
More Bloody Aussies.:D

Welcome.:D

Geez Dan, just shut up already and move across with the other 30,000 kiwis a day ! :biggrin:

kwame k
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Outstanding.......

3 hours is not bad at all, bro!

Barney G
01-22-2012, 10:22 PM
G'day Barney and welcome !

When I had my bike accident I remember being in the emergency room and thinking
FUCK, I wont be able to play again. It was my number one thought the whole time.
Glad to hear you are making progress there !
Must be a huge relief in the circumstances.
I only had 8 breaks, but all in my fretting arm.
You beat me hands down there !!
Best of luck getting back into it mate

Cheers,

-Mark

I have this large (and to me) odd looking plate in my fretting arm/wrist initially I had worries but it seemed to be the first thing that came good (properly). my real issue is the right leg which as I have stated was basically crushed. I think Ash posted pics of it somewhere.

Did you get back on a bike after your crash? (I intend to but I still like to hear either support or derision either way)

Dan
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Geez Dan, just shut up already and move across with the other 30,000 kiwis a day ! :biggrin:

How Dare You And How Rude.:D

Barney G
01-23-2012, 03:56 AM
What NRL Team Do You Support?

I don't really follow a team, if any the Titans being the closest to home. By the time teams merged, we had the super league debacle, all the rot with things like the Coffs Harbour rape rubbish I lost interest for a while.

I still watch and appreciate a good game and instead of following a team I have teams I don't like, Bronco's, Bulldogs, Storm and if anyone is beating them I consider that to be a positive result. I tend to favour teams as well, such as Balmain (but they are wests as well now), Souths and for that matter even Auckland.

Panamark
01-23-2012, 07:22 AM
I have this large (and to me) odd looking plate in my fretting arm/wrist initially I had worries but it seemed to be the first thing that came good (properly). my real issue is the right leg which as I have stated was basically crushed. I think Ash posted pics of it somewhere.

Did you get back on a bike after your crash? (I intend to but I still like to hear either support or derision either way)

G'day Barney,

My left arm was shattered, compound fracture (got to see my own arm bones in shock ! lol)
6 weeks after the accident I couldnt fret a first position "D" chord.

I remember that really freaking me out and in
a way it helped speed up the recovery with my arm
as I got really pigheaded about that "D" chord.

Then one day, I could do it again, then gradually
moved onto more involved stuff. I feel now, if
I wasnt such a lazy player the accident is not holding me back anymore.
As for riding again.. Thats a toughie, I have 4 plates
and about 28 screws in my left arm, I find that the natural
vibrations from the bike and road agitate all that structure
and you end up hurting. I just moved to a farm and are
going to try a dirt bike to see how it is, I keep trying
every 12 months, dont want to give false hope, but it
seems to be getting better, but a lot slower than I hoped.

With your leg, obviously you need it for the gears and rear break
which I reckon wont be your prob, the vibrations, even
on a smooth road bike still got to me 12 months ago.
And Im 7 years post accident... :(

I wanna ride dirt bikes with my son on the farm !
That should be a good test..

Hey with the arm, a good positive is all that metal.
I only have to brush someone and they are down for
the count ! lol... :biggrin:
I think I actually have a titanium elbow...

I got the scans somewhere, posted them here years ago
after it happened. Great news that the guitar side of
things is good, you will have that long after your
biking days.

Everyones injury is different, you might find you have no issues when fully recovered.
My arm aches when riding now, (as of 12 months ago)
but Im about to give it another try. I can chop wood like a crazy man, so
that gives me hope... Love all bikes

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Never a dull moment 'round these parts Barney.

Welcome and all the best for a full recovery.

:gulp:

clarathecarrot
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I spent 3 months in bed I never seeked medical attention. Two months walking with a big black boot. I have found that all the laying around got me to reviewing my life and getting all fucked up about what I had done .. the months of five vicodin a day seem to have made me a sad assed depressed and pissed off, wish I had done this or that different, backwards thinking constant life reviewing jaggoff..lol. Rerely use the drugs anymore.

It will be two years in April, this is about the 8 or 9th instance in my life where I ended up dead and somehow, here I still am. After so many I am all creeped out about my life choices.:baby:

I am still trying to cowboy my way thru without help, but I would recommend that you find someone to talk to about the pshycological bullshit that goes along with what I see as a life interupted wall, mainly because I hit my head so hard that I lost the whole day no clue what happened alone broken and on the side of a road.

My body healed itself, life is strong, , the body rocks on like a miracle, like the blooming of flowers every spring it will always be that way. You may have a stronger base than me family and friends..The, What, Where, Why, How and Holy Shit issues still linger.

Good Luck and keep a stiff upper lip.

EDIT: There is a Motorcycle thread in non that could use some commentary, if you want to, it isn't anything special, but I found that getting back up on the cycle has given me some closure with my self doubt issues. Your flat trac racing comments I read somewhere sounded intetresting or did I read that wrong...bad brain..lol

PETE'S BROTHER
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
word to the motorcycle thread :biggrin: i have one friend who had a real bad cycle crash and promised his mom he wouldn't ride again. five years later, the itch to ride is killin' him. many others that get back up as soon as they are able. to each their own, i guess. donnon 'bout where you live, but sydney was very intimidating in a city bus, let alone on a scoot.

Panamark
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
word to the motorcycle thread :biggrin: i have one friend who had a real bad cycle crash and promised his mom he wouldn't ride again. five years later, the itch to ride is killin' him. many others that get back up as soon as they are able. to each their own, i guess. donnon 'bout where you live, but sydney was very intimidating in a city bus, let alone on a scoot.

I rode a GSXR750 through Sydney a few times, you are right, not for the feint hearted.
Dudes are in a massive hurry and change lanes without looking, the buses
and taxis everywhere dont help much either...

The harbour tunnel was a "must do" before they installed speed cameras :biggrin:
That is a blast in the early hours of the morning with minimal cars. Need to cover
your plates now ........ I miss that 750......

PETE'S BROTHER
01-31-2012, 08:23 PM
cut my teeth on my old man's 79 yamaha 1100 special xs ? great old scoot...

ashstralia
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM
where is the ol' barnacle? he's away visiting the rellies.:)

omg, when he sees you guys talking bikes... :biggrin:

Barney G
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Hey, I did the tunnel on my old ZX9 prior to cameras, what a hoot.

I was riding my CBR600RR Honda on the day of he accident and I also have (now - long story) and BMW r1150 tourer.

I will find the cycle thread, I promised Mum and Dad no more bikes and have raised my intent to break it a couple of times this week to be met with silence, but ultimately my call.

My next bike will be an Aprilia RSV4 Tuono, just waiting on the cash and recovery, I'm still on crutches and too much oxycontin to think about a bike just yet.

Panamark
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Hey, I did the tunnel on my old ZX9 prior to cameras, what a hoot.

I was riding my CBR600RR Honda on the day of he accident and I also have (now - long story) and BMW r1150 tourer.

I will find the cycle thread, I promised Mum and Dad no more bikes and have raised my intent to break it a couple of times this week to be met with silence, but ultimately my call.

My next bike will be an Aprilia RSV4 Tuono, just waiting on the cash and recovery, I'm still on crutches and too much oxycontin to think about a bike just yet.

Yeah I would say it will be a few weeks yet Barney ! :(

Hey welcome to the tunnel club mate :)

Hey is it just me or does oxycontin not really kill the pain, just makes
you feel nice so you dont worry about the pain as much ?
I can always feel the pain still there with OC but feel so
much happier its easier to forget it.
So is it really a pain killer or brain diverter ???
I love the shit, I have some here left from my accident,
can easily see how people get hooked to it...

clarathecarrot
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Be carefull with Oxy people should know thier drugs in my opinion not the interactions ( written on the warnings sheet that you should read anyway), so much as what they do to you and how they work on your body ..not in a scientific way, but a plain speaking way of understanding what can go wrong.

Oxycontin works like this this; is a time release drug it is designed to breakdown slowly (very slowly) and divert pain receptor information over a period of time...here is what I am saying...( tell your kids this, if they are of the age thier peers are experimenting) ...you "will" have some of the pill left in you from 3 days ago that no longer triggers your high or relief and you take another one, to get relief then this goes on for 5 days and all of the sudden you have 1/2 each, of 12 pills that release inside you "at all once" and that is how these kids are od'ing. This even happens when taking the prescribed doses the way the doctor reccomends.

This is the only pill I describe as having a 1/2 life like nuclear waste, it is awfull and should be removed from the shelves and replace with a drug that will not stay in your system this long.

Even I don't take Oxy. I ask for 10mg (blue) Hydrocodone..but.. I also like straight drugs not combo, without 800mg of acetominaphine added..wteva.. All I am saying is Oxy is the most different releasing drug ever and the body cannot shake what happens when what is being released is stored in your fat ...you cannot throw it up you cannot take anything to make your body regect it...is going to all release at one time no matter what yuo do about it..be carefull.

It is like shooting smak 10 times in a week then on friday 1/2 of the smak you thought you were getting off on, decides to finally start working. Sneeky shit.

Panamark
02-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I like sneeky build ups ! :)

clarathecarrot
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Me too! But the kids these days don't have the back catalogue us (at least me) have. I (1970s kids) was/were a drug test monkey growing thru my teens in the 1970's.

The 1960's started a drug culture but the 70's was when 50 or 60 new types of attitude adjusters were on the ready market.

By the time I was out of highschool I had determined what drugs could kill and wich ones would just get me where I needed to be and in what doses.

The sad thing was the non- users who got to college before they found thier drug days and had no group of friends to stick by them and help them sweat it out.

Plus like the modern eqivilents are more powerfull..I mean I had to cook my own crack.

All I have figured out is the furthur from the jungle or natural derivative the more it isn't fun, but more like a enemy.

Drug On Muthas!

Barney G
02-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Yeah I would say it will be a few weeks yet Barney ! :(

Hey welcome to the tunnel club mate :)

Hey is it just me or does oxycontin not really kill the pain, just makes
you feel nice so you dont worry about the pain as much ?
I can always feel the pain still there with OC but feel so
much happier its easier to forget it.
So is it really a pain killer or brain diverter ???
I love the shit, I have some here left from my accident,
can easily see how people get hooked to it...

I have been cutting down my drug intake, sometimes to my detriment, oxy (slow release) is clinically a miracle and even small changes in dosage impacts and day to day pain, mind you I was on 80mg a day + endone.

I now rarely take endone and am back to 50mg a day of oxy which is where I find the pain/drug barrier, the point at which the pain is there and I notice it but it doesn't rule my day. Needing (and I mean really needing) painkillers is a hell of thing anyway, I would rather be 100% straight and blasting through the mountains on my bike or making sweet sweet musical love to my guitar but if I don't take the drugs then the pain takes over.

Barney G
02-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Also, Ash is picking me up on Tuesday and has the new album and is intent on destroying the stereo in my cruiser with sheer volume. It will be my first listen of the studio album and I'm stoked.

I think he is trying to do some jedi mind trick where we become a Van Halen cover/tribute band. Hmmmm two bald old men playing serious rock. living the dream

Panamark
02-05-2012, 04:59 AM
HAHA !

The album will lift your spirits no matter what. It does sound better loud too,
I hope your speaker cones are not dried out or anything !

With the pain meds, fuckit, if you have pain take them.
Endone is nice too, although I thought it was the same drug ?
Its been a few years. Panandeine and Beer are my painkillers
now :)

Hey 2 old bald men playing Van Halen sounds like a plan to me !!
Cant wait to hear what you think of "ADKOT".....

Hang in there mate !

ashstralia
02-05-2012, 08:18 AM
old? bald?

speak for yourself, barnacle!!!
also.

stay frosty.

Carmine
02-06-2012, 06:57 AM
:hi-hand:

Welcome aboard...

PETE'S BROTHER
02-08-2012, 01:23 AM
bald is beautiful

Barney G
12-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Barney,,

All the best to you and welcome.

A wiser man than myself said we grow most when having to overcome things much bigger than ourselves.
or somethin' like that.

:yo:

I think Karl Marx said that physical pain is the best cure for mental anguish. A late reply but never a truer sentiment.

I spend most of my time of the powerslide forum (motorcycle racing) and I've neglected the Roth Army, The big effort is coming, been reading though and like what I read. A lot.

Also = NLR - Rabbitohs convert now!

ashstralia
12-20-2012, 05:59 AM
I think Karl Marx said that physical pain is the best cure for mental anguish. A late reply but never a truer sentiment.

I spend most of my time of the powerslide forum (motorcycle racing) and I've neglected the Roth Army, The big effort is coming, been reading though and like what I read. A lot.

fucking rocking it old school Barns... i love you brother, and i see you're still a member of the DNA (national dyslexic's association) :biggrin:

btw, do you quack?? :D

Blaze
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Hiya Barney!
I do solemnly swear/ affirm that I will not play any Barney videos.
Glad to see ya here!

clarathecarrot
12-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Barney, I am glad you are healing and sounding good.

If you want to comment in The Motorcycle Thread any stories or whattevers is appreciated.

I am reviled around here, as expected, by a few of the mods and as a result the cycle thread has been repremanded to, The Dump forum.

A result of me pissing off a couple of the higher ups...( kicking thier asses in many debates..lol)...what I am saying is you could start your own cycle thread or anyone can or comment in the one in the dump.

Any cycle talk or stories is welcomed by me and a few other riders around here.

Ride On, Brother from Down Under.. and I am truly happy you are doing well.

ashstralia
12-20-2012, 07:14 PM
i'll make sure he sees this, carrot. :yo:

Barney G
12-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Seen

Mucho respect fellow two wheeled warrior I have a million happy motorcycling stories and one fucked up one.

clarathecarrot
12-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I brought my last fucked up story here and shared it, all 10 pages or so... with reckless abandon and it was somewhat enjoyably disturbing, and open hearted, and that is what I wanted.

I have had about three major cycle fuc'jups of a damaging nature.
\
But..??? as I have thought back over the years... as, when I was a kid riding motorcross bikes and minibikes, highschool riding mile long wheelies on street bikes.(or trying to..lol). I have actually had about 700 wrecks..but only three that my abilities were taken from me, circumstances out of my control.

That, almost cost me everything.

I always blame myself it is my nature and it becomes hard to sign off on another chapter and proceed to the next one..the older I get.

That however is the key, moving forward, one blank page over the next horizon.

Peace and Merry Christmas to all the Aussie, DLRA connection members .

Barney G
12-23-2012, 05:13 AM
My long form story is on Powerslide.net, like you I raced motocross, enduro, had a gazillion stacks, just one that counted, I can't blame me but somehow I think I could have done something differently.

The fact that an old lady simply took me out going through a give way sign makes it easy for me to wash my hands of this but as a motorcyclist we have to be better than the tin tops or they will kill us.

Barney G
12-23-2012, 05:18 AM
fucking rocking it old school Barns... i love you brother, and i see you're still a member of the DNA (national dyslexic's association) :biggrin:

btw, do you quack?? :D

Like a duck - I find that a somewhat tautologous line, what other animal "quacks"?

One doesn't quack like a rabbit for example.

Speaking of dyslexic rabbits

I correct NRL

Take this much oxy and you wont get to play Audrey Hepburn in my fair lady.

ashstralia
12-23-2012, 05:35 AM
One doesn't quack like a rabbit for example.

that's correct. one may quack like a duck when you suck, buck like a horse when you fuck, take every inch up your butt, etc..

Barney G
12-23-2012, 06:04 AM
that's correct. one may quack like a duck when you suck, buck like a horse when you fuck, take every inch up your butt, etc..

No, I have a better one. We are sitting in a pub having a quite quiet beer when a reformed (then deformed and reformed again a few more times) Junkie tells us stories about getting into fights.

His great self defence method?

To insert his own fingers into his own anus and then to wave them about saying "if you fight me my fingers will go in your mouth".

:fighting24:

ashstralia
12-23-2012, 06:20 AM
but that bloke is clearly a retard, right?

Barney G
12-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey, the method works. You can't brag about it later but you'll avoid the Irish sunglasses.

Wait... (note:ellipsis usage) He did brag about it.

Complete retard.

ashstralia
12-24-2012, 09:29 PM
i think he's a few snags short of a barbie...