PDA

View Full Version : UK tour?

VHUK
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi

A longterm uk based here! Really pleased the band are touring, but wished it was a world tour!

Does anyone have an inside knowledge/educated guess regarding the tour reaching the UK. I would do all UK dates!

basstar66
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
maybe some uk festivals july - aug , just my guess .

So this is love
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Hi

A longterm uk based here! Really pleased the band are touring, but wished it was a world tour!

Does anyone have an inside knowledge/educated guess regarding the tour reaching the UK. I would do all UK dates!

Wishing you best of luck!!

Cato
01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
killer avatar STIL!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/customavatars/avatar27806_1.gif

where did you find that pic?

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi

No inside knowledge but there seems a decent chance of them showing up at Download, they are the all-time favourite band of the guy who books the acts for there.

A UK tour isn't impossible Roth would in a minute I'm sure but the Van Halen's haven't been keen in the past. I think there is a glimmer of hope because of the 'lets go and show Wolfie the world' kind of thing.

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Download guy has said no VH this year on twitter a number of times.

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Ah ok never saw that.

It's an awkward place to get to anyway.

Dave's Bitch
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I went to download one year.Took about 5 hours drive.Would do it again in a heart beat if Van Halen were there.I wonder who they have headlining this year.

As far as a UK tour i would (sadly) say dream on :(

ToraToraTora
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Black Sabbath, Metallica and Prodigy headlining Download this year, which is in June, so NO CHANCE of them playing there, thank god. No headliners confirmed for Sonisphere which is on 6th to 8th of July.These 2 are the only 2 i reckon they would play, cant see them doing T in the Park or Glastonbury or Reading and Leeds.
I really really hope we get an arena tour in the uk, i cant be arsed with festivals, hours of dross to see the one band you want. Hell i'd be happy with 2 or 3 nights at the O2 in London. Be there in a hearbeat, well 8 hours in a train or car, but you know what i mean.

binnie
01-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Sonisphere is more likely than Leeds/Reading or Glastonberry - it's more of a rock crowd.

Doubt there'll be an arena tour here.

vanhalenuk
01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I took the initive and contacted the major arenas in england - the LG (birmingham nec) wembley and the o2 - all said they knew nothing about a VH show.

binnie
01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
With the exchange rate the way it is, coupled with the fact that VH never really toured here extensively back in their heyday (which might impact on ticket sales), I don't think a full UK tour is viable.

Festivals are most likely, or a single date at the O2 on a worldwind trek of Europe.

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Am going with the festival vote , no chance of a full uk tour ..... its a pity prodigy dont go tits up ,a nice little friday night headline at download would top that bill off nicely .

VHUK
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Good idea about ringing the venues - real initiative and dedication!

I am thinking a stateside jaunt may be an option, especially if they do a second leg

negative
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
How about the High Voltage festival in London? That should be a possibility for a VH headlining show surely? I think ZZ Top headlined there one year, and last year it was Judas Priest, so it's more of a classic rock vibe going on there. I really, really hope they go there, because my wife loves London and I think having her onboard is the only chance I have at taking the long journey from the actic circle to see VH....

TJMKID
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I went to download one year.Took about 5 hours drive.Would do it again in a heart beat if Van Halen were there.I wonder who they have headlining this year.

As far as a UK tour i would (sadly) say dream on :(

Where in the hell is this Download Festival ---- and why is it so hard to get to?

I've heard rumors VH is already booked for the High Voltage Festival in London.

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Down load is on the site of the old donnington festival..... Not far from Leicester

VHscraps
01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Back in the days before the internet, and being able to easily book quite cheap overseas trips from the comfort of your own home, tour companies used to sell trips to overseas gigs.

In '88 I booked on a bus / ferry deal to see DLR in Paris at the Zenith, because he was doing his full-scale arena production there (and he only came back later in the year to do it in the UK, at Wembley and Brum). I caught the bus in London, which was already full of fans from Leeds and Manchester. Had never met any of them, but had a great time in the hotel bar after the gig - which seemed only too willing to stay open through the night and take our money (everyone who bought the trip got the same hotel as well).

Personally, I'm tempted to go to a show in the US ...

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
88 and download link I saw dlr at donnington that year ... Great line up it was to

Seshmeister
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Personally, I'm tempted to go to a show in the US ...

I've done it twice and it is not cheap.

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I really fancied MSG last tour but life dwindled away the kitty

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Even a big festival in Europe would be cool and a lot cheaper

binnie
01-11-2012, 03:33 AM
How about the High Voltage festival in London? That should be a possibility for a VH headlining show surely? I think ZZ Top headlined there one year, and last year it was Judas Priest, so it's more of a classic rock vibe going on there. I really, really hope they go there, because my wife loves London and I think having her onboard is the only chance I have at taking the long journey from the actic circle to see VH....

True - I think the problem there would be whether the festival could afford them. Rumour is that VH priced themselves out of Donnington, so I doubt High Voltage has the bank.

Seshmeister
01-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Well they wouldn't get away with selling $1000 'VIP' packages in Britain, people quite rightly just wouldn't pay it.

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Well they wouldn't get away with selling $1000 'VIP' packages in Britain, people quite rightly just wouldn't pay it.

Basically everyone I have talked to about the new van halen stuff has said "Fucking tickets would cost a fortune,I will just watch the stuff on youtube"

ToraToraTora
01-11-2012, 05:45 AM
High Voltage festival is a tiny festival compared any of the others. They won an award for best small festival, 25,000 to 35,000 range, whereas the others are in the 80,000 and upwards range. Theres no way High Voltage could afford them unless VH dropped the askin price.

vanhalenuk
01-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Though it didnt happen, those guys at soundwave managed to get them - quite a small touring festival compared to some of the big euro one's. I asked the download promoter about it on twitter - he said soundwave had offered VH lots of money.

VHscraps
01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
I hate to say it, 'cos I kinda always hated the festival from back in the old days, but if they were only doing one festival date in the UK, the best way to make a splash a la Cafe Wha, would be to get one of the headline slots at Glastonbury.

Wall-to-wall TV coverage in the BBC and on radio in the UK, and they might find a whole crowd of people who realise - hey, this is one motherfucking great band we never knew about really.

Not sure if this is the year Glastonbury takes a rest, though - and it probably clashes with the US dates anyways ...

ToraToraTora
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Ah fuck, not glastonbury, please please please not glastonbury, hope this is the year they have a break, please not glastonbury

binnie
01-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Don't think that they're a big enough draw in the UK for the organizers of Glasto to book 'em.

vanhalenuk
01-11-2012, 03:29 PM
glasto isnt on this year anyway!

AccidentalAngel
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Anything they do anywhere in Europe is fine by me, even though it is not cheap I will come to the UK if I have to.

Seshmeister
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah I'd probably go to any gig in Europe too.

US is looking really awkward for me this time.

binnie
01-12-2012, 02:50 AM
I just can't afford to do the US at the moment......

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
What about other festivals .. didnt the foo's play every back garden this year . What about t in the park ..reading, leeds .... bollox any were.
Am seeing the us as not happing for me , euro i would chance it if they defo wernt gonna play the uk .

binnie
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Just can't imagine that VH is 'hip' enough to headline Reading/Leeds.

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
desperate man in search of desperate treasure

Golden AWe
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah I'd probably go to any gig in Europe too.

US is looking really awkward for me this time.

Same here. Let's hope for a gig in Europe and finally have a meeting there. I still remember talking with Sesh 7-8 years ago when he was visiting Denmark, while I lived on the other side of it, but I was broke and officially homeless back then.

Seshmeister
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I got a hotel room at the airport in London, stayed up half the night talking to friends on the phone, posting here and drinking.

I woke up 10 minutes before my flight and missed it which meant I was going to miss the internal flight in Denmark too so I never went.

The whole thing was a total fuck up of biblical proportions and an insane waste of money, at least I didn't stand you up as well... :)

Lucky I owned the company or I would have been sacked. :)

Seshmeister
01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I just can't afford to do the US at the moment......

Flights are actually a bit cheaper than they used to be if you shop around but I can't make the dates work on a cheap flight.

Including tickets and hotel it's coming in at about £1300 a head for a 3 day trip which is hard to justify...

vanhalenuk
01-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Couple of rumours - van halen will be second on the bill to black sabbath at download festival and there will be a UK VH tour in sep.

These originate from soneone talking to someone associated with Chickenfoot outside their gig last night.

Probably BS but with the lack anything else thought i'd pass it on.

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Have Black Sabbath not pulled out yet due to illness?

If the person was outside a Chickenfoot gig then they are by definition an idiot hole. :)

vandeleur
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Iommi has just released a statment saying the band were gonna finish recording their album in the uk due to his illness but have not made a comment on their touring commitments.

binnie
01-13-2012, 06:35 AM
I imagine Black Sabbath will play Download if at all possible.

Can't imagine VH being No.2 - why pay all that cash for a lower position on the bill.

VHscraps
01-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Iommi has just released a statment saying the band were gonna finish recording their album in the uk due to his illness but have not made a comment on their touring commitments.

I don't really wanna see VH playing second on the bill to anyone, much as I love Sabbath.

If they want to generate interest in Van Halen, but can't be confident of selling out a UK arena tour, they should play a couple of dates at the O2 in London, or a 5-10 day residency at somewhere like the Albert Hall.

Make it a ticket that people are want to buy, and a gig that people would be willing to travel to - an event.

My expereince of seeing VH and DLR at Donnington in the 80s, is that as many metal fans hated them as liked 'em. I don't think outdoor shows are their best environment, either.

They should do their own thing.

vandeleur
01-13-2012, 06:40 AM
sack the prodigy .. i dont know how there on the bill any way .
The mighty Van Halen, the tallica and sabbath thats some bill

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM
My expereince of seeing VH and DLR at Donnington in the 80s, is that as many metal fans hated them as liked 'em. I don't think outdoor shows are their best environment, either.

Especially nowadays when so many kids seem to like the 'shouty shouty I'm telling the devil on you mummy' crap.

Van Halen is pretty much the opposite of thrash metal or black metal or speed metal or whatever they are calling that pointless shite this week.

VHscraps
01-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Spot on, Sesh.

I just think if they make it to the UK, they've got to get THEIR audience out. I really don't wanna stand in a park or a field surrounded by speed metal fans booing when I'm trying to get down to the Halen!

And thinking back - even when I saw DLR in Edinburgh on the Skyscraper tour, there were plenty of boos when he went into his raps - those kind of folks probably weren't really Dave fans.

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I was at that gig too but don't remember the boos, main memory was how pissed off my bass player pal was about getting Matt Bisonette instead of Billy Sheehan.

It was a long time ago right enough.

VHscraps
01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I remember being disappointed about the lack of Billy Sheehan.

I was in the balcony - there was booing up where I was, but probably only audible to those around it. Scattered, but not isolated - a fair number of people, saying 'just fucking get on with it', and stuff like that.

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 08:04 AM
'Just fucking get on with it, ken' :)

I knew we were in trouble when for the whole bass solo in the opener Knucklebones MB took one finger and just moved it chromatically down the string.

Big shoes to fill but FFS.

VHscraps
01-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I don' remember that ... but I can imagine him thinking, 'okay, better not even try and compete'.

binnie
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Especially nowadays when so many kids seem to like the 'shouty shouty I'm telling the devil on you mummy' crap.

Van Halen is pretty much the opposite of thrash metal or black metal or speed metal or whatever they are calling that pointless shite this week.

I think you'd be surprised by the spectrum of 'heaviness' in the average young metal fans' ipod. Many of them will appreciate CVH, especially because Dimebag Darrell used to idolise EVH.

I imagine your dad used to think that the music you listened to was 'pointless shite', too. Old git :D

To me, it's about emotions. If someone explores the darker side of music in paint, sculpture, theatre, film or print then that's OK. Why is music as an artform different? Why can't it be valid to explore aggression, social injustice or so on in metal (most bands are not the 'scream bloody gore' of the death metal of the '80s which you seem to remember).

It all reminds me of the girls I used to date in my teens. 'This is shit. You can't dance to it.' Yeah, because that's what they were trying to do.....

Some rock/metal is a celebration of life, a tongue in cheek, ass kicking experience. And some of it isn't.

binnie
01-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I actually think a one-off date at the O2 is most likely. Maybe even Wembley if they're worried about ticket sales....

Johnniebhoy
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
I'd be surprised if they were second on the bill at this stage of their careers and I'd rather they stayed clear of Donnington after what happened the last time DLR was there in 1988!

They could quite easily sell out an arena tour over here, they really do underestimate their potential over here!

If Chickenfoot can sell out a couple of shows @ 2,500 - 3,500 then VH can quite easily pull in arena sized crowds!

That said... Fuck it! I'm going to Boston!

VHscraps
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Never been to the O2, but I've heard it said that it is simply the best arena for rock music anywhere - and it's nearly twice the capacity of Wembley Arena.

Yeah, would love to see them do a show there.

I've seen a few shows at Wembley Arena, but I've never heard a band sound good in the venue.

ToraToraTora
01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Download festival this year is 8th, 9th, 10th of June. Although there are gaps in the VH tour schedule for those dates, it would mean leaving California to fly to Britain for 1 day, to fly back to California for the gig on the 12th. And do you think Sabbath would have them on the same bill after what happened last time :hee:

binnie
01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Sonisphere in July is more likely, i think.

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Never been to the O2, but I've heard it said that it is simply the best arena for rock music anywhere - and it's nearly twice the capacity of Wembley Arena.

It's soulless but I guess all these places are.

You also wouldn't want to be in the cheap seats unless you have a good head for heights.

binnie
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
The only arenas that have any 'vibe' to 'em in the UK are the M.E.N and Sheffield Arena, imo.

vandeleur
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Am like most on this board and have been to a lot of uk arenas , my local one the newcastle arena is like sesh said pretty souless in principle but i have seen a couple of bands that have given it atmosphere and vibe.
And i would bet anything that the mighty VH would bring enough atmosphere vibe whatever you wanna call it to make any uk arena rock the roof off...... its not the venue its the band and the fans who would make the gig.....

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
The only arenas that have any 'vibe' to 'em in the UK are the M.E.N and Sheffield Arena, imo.

I thought the NEC in Birmingham wasn't too bad and it has the advantage of being in walking distance of the airport and all of it's hotels.

The O2 is like a shopping mall in the middle of nowhere. Even though there are a few bars in the complex, incredibly they don't have toilets. I know you aren't a drinker but it's fucking insane to expect people drinking beer in a bar to leave it and walk literally for a whole 5 minutes each way through a huge concourse every time they go for a piss. Then after the show you have the usual London transport misery.

I would obviously still be delighted if they played there though... :)

binnie
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I've been to the O2 in London once, and I wasn't all that impressed with the facilities. The actual venue was good though, and Metallica flattened it.

It's certainly got better acoustics than Wembley Arena, which is a shit hole. Truly fucking terrible.

In an ideal world they'd do an arena tour, but I just don't see it. London plus one other city is all we'll get, I imagine (Brum or Manc). The MEN is good as far as arenas go........

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 08:34 PM
You could be right with that and I think they will sell out immediately. Bet I end up paying silly money on eBay for tickets.

I could imagine one of those European tours where they do just a couple of shows a country. Of course they may not even do that.

Seshmeister
01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I've been to the O2 in London once, and I wasn't all that impressed with the facilities. The actual venue was good though, and Metallica flattened it.

I'm maybe a bit biased about it because I still smoked back then when I went to see Prince and you weren't even allowed to leave the complex so I was a bit grumpy after 5 hours of this.

Also although we had decent tickets it was in the round and I spent most of the gig looking at the back of his head.

vanhalenuk
01-14-2012, 07:02 AM
The Birmingham NEC (now LG arena) has been developed into a world class facility - anyone who hasnt been for a few years should check it out.

Seshmeister
01-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah if they don't play Scotland Birmingham would be my second choice.

This is all pie in the sky talk of course. :)

Golden AWe
01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I got a hotel room at the airport in London, stayed up half the night talking to friends on the phone, posting here and drinking.

I woke up 10 minutes before my flight and missed it which meant I was going to miss the internal flight in Denmark too so I never went.

The whole thing was a total fuck up of biblical proportions and an insane waste of money, at least I didn't stand you up as well... :)

Lucky I owned the company or I would have been sacked. :)

Haha that's a funny story...anyway, I know everything about Britain now, I've been to London and Cardiff once! ;)

There are many funny languages in the world but cymraeg is definetely top 5 -material...

Anyway, flights from Finland to Great Britain are very cheap, I'd come if the Van Halen showed up...

vanhalenuk
01-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Interesting - VH give a 1 in 11 chance of headlining sonsiphere.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/first-sonisphere-headliner-revealed-well-nearly/

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Van Halen
Paramore
Tool
Rage Against The Machine
Rush
Foo Fighters
Avenged Sevenfold
Faith No More
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Blink 182

Better than 1 in 11 maybe since they are top of the list and surely we can rule out Rush, Faith No More and Kiss. I know next to nothing about Paramore and Avenged Sevenfold and in my world Blink 182 are a 1 hit wonder.

Within taxi range of Luton Airport too and it tours Europe.

Last year it was just a bunch of crappy shouty pretend we're monsters key of E bands so maybe they'll be hoping to make up for that this year...

binnie
01-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Van Halen
Paramore
Tool
Rage Against The Machine
Rush
Foo Fighters
Avenged Sevenfold
Faith No More
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Blink 182

Better than 1 in 11 maybe since they are top of the list and surely we can rule out Rush, Faith No More and Kiss. I know next to nothing about Paramore and Avenged Sevenfold and in my world Blink 182 are a 1 hit wonder.

Within taxi range of Luton Airport too and it tours Europe.

Last year it was just a bunch of crappy shouty pretend we're monsters key of E bands so maybe they'll be hoping to make up for that this year...

Here's my reading of that list:

Avenged Sevenfold have said they'll not be touring this year, so they're out.
Tool are a maybe, but they're currently writing and set to record. The idea they'll be done by July seems unlikely.
Iron Maiden headlined only 2 years ago, and have just finished touring TFF. Unlikely.
Faith No More headlined Donnington 2-3 years ago. As far as I'm aware, Mike Patton is busy doing soundtracks. Unlikely.
The Foo Fighters would be a major, major coup for Sonisphere. But they can sell out Wembley on their own, so why play a (smaller) festival? They also did several festival appearences last year around the time 'Wasting Light' was released. Unlikely.

Kiss have an album out. Likely.
Can't imagine that the organizers would want more than one 'classic rock' act, so if Kiss are in I doubt CVH are.

I can see a world in which one day is headlined by a band with a 'younger' fanbase (Blink 182 - huge, but I've never been sure why); and one by a band with an 'older' fanbase (Kiss or Rush). The third day is likely to be RATM - easily the biggest £££££ spinner for the festival.

Sonisphere has trumped Donnington regarding line-ups for the last couple of years. Having seen the announcements for Download this year, it looks like the worm has turned.

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Have Rush ever done a UK festival?

Also although Kiss may be a little bigger in the UK than Van Halen, it seems to me like they are always touring and so VH would be a bigger draw for a one off event. Roth was below Kiss for Donnington in 1988 but I think a reformed VH would demand to be higher.

I agree RATM would make the most sense for them although that shows how crazy this world has become. :)

binnie
01-17-2012, 08:51 AM
It's a three day event, so it's not out of the realms of possibility that more than one of those bands will headline....

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 09:07 AM
It's very surprising to notice that Stephen Fry follows Sonisphere on twitter...

pipinfort
01-17-2012, 09:21 AM
My guess for Sonisphere 2012..............Kiss (been strongly rumoured for a while), Foo Fighters (apparently let it slip in an interview last year sometime that they were playing Knebworth) & Rage Against The Machine(have also been strongly rumoured for a while).........I think the UK will get a VH one off 02 date or a small arena tour along with the rest of Europe towards the end of the year and will be back in 2013 to headline the festivals in Europe.

vanhalenuk
01-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Tool are touring Canada during the festival so they can be crossed off the list - not big enough either
Rush - my friend who's a massive Rush fan says very unlikely they'd do a festival as a very particular about their sound and setup
Foos - expected to do the Reading/Leeds festival so unlikely they'd do both.
Iron Maiden - On downtime after just finished last tour
Paramore - not big enough to headline
Blink 182 - possible but dont think they are a big enough draw for headliner
Faith no More - think they headlined Download recently but their reunion has probably lost its impact now
Avenged Sevenfold - no touring the UK apparently
RATM - no recent activity
Kiss - would likely be bottled off!

Who does that leave?

binnie
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I think Kiss would be well received, actually. They were at Download.

Much as they're not my bag, Paramore are very popular with the young 'uns. If they have an album due to drop I can see them being a headliner; same with Blink 182: not my thing, but they've sold a ridiculous amount of records and have been doing arena tours of the UK for years.

Tool would be an interesting headliner. I'm sure they headlined Download around '05 or so, but the Canada dates make it unlikely as you say.

binnie
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
It's very surprising to notice that Stephen Fry follows Sonisphere on twitter...

He' a huge Cannibal Corpse fan

(I made that up).

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Looks like Ki$$ are doing an arena tour this summer with Crue supporting.

Of course if either of these bands could still do arenas without the other then they would.

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I have been able to find 5 festival appearances that Rush have made since 1976, 4 of them were over 30 years ago.

I think we can safely rule them out.

binnie
01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Looks like Ki$$ are doing an arena tour this summer with Crue supporting.

Of course if either of these bands could still do arenas without the other then they would.

Indeed.

That tour is not coming over here though, is it?

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
I hope not. :D

Seshmeister
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
He' a huge Cannibal Corpse fan

(I made that up).

Maybe he's writing a musical for them.

vanhalenuk
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/169942/9

This website runs through all the bands and concludes its either VH or Kiss..

negative
01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is what was posted on the official Facebook page of Sweden Rock Festival earlier today:

"One thing. Van Halen and Black Sabbath will not play Sweden Rock Festival 2012. Van Halen will not come to Europe and Black Sabbath are playing stadiums in Sweden. Thank you."

Doesn't look good for a european tour.... Guess I'll have to win the lottery and travel to the US in order to see VH. Bummer!

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Have Rush ever done a UK festival?

Also although Kiss may be a little bigger in the UK than Van Halen, it seems to me like they are always touring and so VH would be a bigger draw for a one off event. Roth was below Kiss for Donnington in 1988 but I think a reformed VH would demand to be higher.

I agree RATM would make the most sense for them although that shows how crazy this world has become. :)

Kiss have never had a certified BPI (UK equivalent of the RIAA) award for an album - that includes Silver, Gold, or Platinum

Van Halen have had two Gold - VHI and 1984, and four Silver (Van Hagar = 5150, OU812, FUCK, BOV1)

So, I guess Van Halen should be able to outdraw Kiss in the UK.

Actually, it used to be pretty infrequent that Platinum albums were gained in the UK. I think if you were to look at the sales at a LOT of bands you thin are big in the UK, you'll be surprised that VH have actually proven to have been more popular:

You can play around here: http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx (http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx)

guwapo_rocker
01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't you have to suck to be popular in the UK?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2w2he9z.jpg

vandeleur
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM

gonna resist the obvious comment lol

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
yer! no doubt. what surprised me was that a band like Judas Priest wasn't a bigger seller in the UK - they had a few hits in the early 80s.Saxon seem to have sold more albums.

DLR = 1 gold (EEAS) and 2 Silver (Skyscraper and ALAE), which probably makes him as successful as a Van Hagar in the UK ...

Nitro Express
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

If that is true Sammy probably sells most his albums there. Is there a Cabo Wabo Cantina in London?:shagsheep:

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Actually, it used to be pretty infrequent that Platinum albums were gained in the UK. I think if you were to look at the sales at a LOT of bands you thin are big in the UK, you'll be surprised that VH have actually proven to have been more popular:

You can play around here: http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx (http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx)

For instance - The Clash = 2 gold albums and that's it.

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Actually that's wrong, I searched again without 'The' in front of 'Clash' and it produced a different result, but roughly equivalent to VH nonetheless.

That does surprise me.

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Sammy minus VH = there appears to be nothing.

He did tour the UK several times in the late 70s / early 80s, playing 15-20 shows per tour in theatres (2000-3000 seats).

guwapo_rocker
01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Sammy minus VH = there appears to be nothing.

Bingo!

VHscraps
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
If that is true Sammy probably sells most his albums there. Is there a Cabo Wabo Cantina in London?:shagsheep:

Or Cloud cuckoo land

guwapo_rocker
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm......guess everyones round the pub.

Bet Rick Astley's still on the jukebox :bigwink:

vanhalenuk
01-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Spotted this on the way back from a night out in Birmingam - these posters were all over the train station.

http://twitpic.com/8cgxh0

kr4m3r
02-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Apologies for posting this twice (shouldn't have posted in the review thread:ashamed:)

Anyway, just seen ADKOT advertised on UK TV, they're pushing this very hard, great to see ! Interscope mean business !!

..does that mean that they think we're important enough to come over here and play ??

After their last half-hearted effort in support of Bon Jovi seeing them with Dave for a proper show would be unbelievable.

..please,please, please

VHscraps
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Apologies for posting this twice (shouldn't have posted in the review thread:ashamed:)

Anyway, just seen ADKOT advertised on UK TV, they're pushing this very hard, great to see ! Interscope mean business !!

..does that mean that they think we're important enough to come over here and play ??

After their last half-hearted effort in support of Bon Jovi seeing them with Dave for a proper show would be unbelievable.

..please,please, please

Really? What channel did you see that on?

I guess Interscope might have a 'worldwide marketing strategy' after all - that was one of the supposed reasons for signing with 'em. Warners in the UK never did much on the publicity front, even back in the old Dave days.

kr4m3r
02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Yep, Sky News, shortly before midnight I think. Can't have been more then 5 seconds long, and not exactly prime time I know. Was very surprised to see it at all !

AndyChad
02-05-2012, 05:50 AM
I've seen the ad a couple of times too.

Not sure which channel(s) it was on though.

Seshmeister
02-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Spotted this on the way back from a night out in Birmingam - these posters were all over the train station.

http://twitpic.com/8cgxh0

Sammy was at a station in Brum??? :)