PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

VH Drummer
01-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Anyone else think it would be cool if on the tour, they went right into "You're No Good" after "Tattoo"?

Texas Outlaw
01-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Have been reading a lot of negative comments on YouTube aboutabout Tattoo but I gotta say, I fucking love this song. It's gritty, it's down in the gutter, and it's got a Van Halen vibe to it. Eddie's guitar sound is bad ass and Dave's vocals are, well, Dave. I especially like the end of the song and how Eddie does his thing with the knobs. Gives you the feeling that something really special is coming with the rest of the album.

diamondsgirl
01-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Anyone else think it would be cool if on the tour, they went right into "You're No Good" after "Tattoo"?

yup...sounds like Tattoo ends where YNG begins. I have always loved YNG.

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM

I think that is very possible actually. Thought about that about 12 hours earlier...hehe.

VH Drummer
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
yup...sounds like Tattoo ends where YNG begins. I have always loved YNG.

When I heard that outro on "Tattoo" last night, I got chills.

K-tuna
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
almost every song written COULD have talked about a dozen different things,
but due to content, rhyme. or rhythm, DON'T
Not all of them are hell bent on making a point...but in making good music.

so sorry you don't like this one, but i wouldn't make more of it than is actually there....i.e.: politics

No , actually, you're catching the end of some douche making it a bigger a deal then it was. My original post had several reasons why I didn't dig it.

And even that may be too strong to describe it. Maybe "underwhelmed" is better.

My main point is that coming off the AMAZING show and press of the Cafe Wha? performance, I think "Tattoo " as a single might STRATEGICALLY be a bad move IF the press received the song as being weak.

It looks like I might very well be WRONG as the press seems to be accepting it as good. I have no problem with that. I want them to destroy Slammy with a great album for the crap he's been saying in the press and just be A BADASS ALBUM.

chi-town324
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
can't wait to hear the studio version of she's the woman..its gonna kick ass

lesfunk
01-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I believe that it will also

Carmine
01-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I've played it 1000 times....burned a copy for the car....the song is infectious and I love it...

that's it...VAN HALEN...period

diamondsgirl
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
I've played it 1000 times....burned a copy for the car....the song is infectious and I love it...

that's it...VAN HALEN...period

I already had the song stuck in my head after just hearing the "snippet". It just stays with you. Very cool. Love it. And I cant stop watiching the video!!! Dave looks incredible! :xmas:

SilvioDante
01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Interesting talking point (for me I guess...)

I noticed on my iTunes that the writing credits are:

Van Halen & David Lee Roth

Discuss....

Carmine
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I already had the song stuck in my head after just hearing the "snippet". It just stays with you. Very cool. Love it. And I cant stop watiching the video!!! Dave looks incredible! :xmas:

I've said "So very autobiographic!" as many times as I've listened to the song today, Dg!
Its a tune that just gets in your bones...

Fairwrning
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I think every tune they have done since 1st lp has been that way...Roth and VH listed

chi-town324
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM

that's it...VAN HALEN...period...you know it bro!

diamondsgirl
01-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Discuss....

hmmm...

SNIPER
01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I see the potential for some new company to join me:sheepshagger: in the sheep pen. hehe

Mr. Vengeance
01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Same people who seem to be hating the new tune are the same who insist that the Stones haven't done a thing worth listening to since Tattoo You and Metallica hasn't has a single good song since Master of Puppets....

If you were expecting Unchained....I imagine you're upset.

I like it.

TwoFoolsAMinute
01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
New Van Halen???

JJtheVagPounder
01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
What pisses me off is the people stating "this reunion is gonna last 2 weeks". Fuck. You.

KarenCarpenter
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard the ending... I also think that "Tattoo" (ending) might be mixed with the following song on the CD (I think it's "She's The Woman" )..., maybe... :grouphug:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/KC69RC/RolandChayer-KCEVH.gif

K-tuna
01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Looks like good news, ADKOT just shot to number 5 so far on ITUNES and the actual album it hasn't even hit yet. ( based on Tattoo and pre-orders ) Its on pace with the new Metallica ep that hit a couple weeks ago. it hit about as fast and went to #1 in just a day-couple days

Very good sign.

Northern Girl
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Discuss....

Maybe Dave's making sure he has his own publishing this time around.

Didn't he get fucked in the past?

Carmine
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM

I believe that whole "percentages on the re-masters" thing...

loveuhowie
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
me likes it

So this is love
01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Looks like good news, ADKOT just shot to number 5 so far on ITUNES and the actual album it hasn't even hit yet. ( based on Tattoo and pre-orders ) Its on pace with the new Metallica ep that hit a couple weeks ago. it hit about as fast and went to #1 in just a day-couple days

Very good sign.

If 2012 is the end of the world, it will be a hell of a year to end it!!!

Full Bug
01-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Great point, I would think he has it covered....

stringfelowhawk
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I never listen to the radio anymore except for Lex and Terry so when they debuted it this morning I was stoked. Lex and Dee liked it. Terry's not sold. Yeah, i know wtf cares? Its a segway into saying I've read a couple of the press reviews this afternoon and a good 85% or more is all positive. I don't get where all the negativity is coming from except for the sheep which was to be expected. I dig it. I'm sold on this album. I bought the single on itunes. Fuck the sheep. They are doing this reunion album deal right and for that they have my full support. I'll say the video is not one of my favorites though. They're getting all kinds of positive press and if you've read "Crazy From The Heat" you'll recognize the blueprint as so far its been practically verbatim. I've yet to read a bad review from the Cafe Wha? show. Has anyone else read one?
I'd rather they didn't play "YNG". As silly and nitpicky as this will sound I can't listen to that song without mentally hearing those really high whistle "No Good's" even when someone else covers it. It's like every time I hear Jimi's "Foxy Lady" all I can do is picture Garth in Wayne's World. I can't get it outta my head. I've associated it that way unintentionally and now can't break it. Funny thing is it doesn't bother me when Dave doesn't go for those whistle notes in any other song. It's just "YNG". Weird huh?

lesfunk
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Roth and VH have been separate entities for so long, they each have their own companies.

stringfelowhawk
01-10-2012, 09:03 PM
And he's got a hellova lower end which I'm glad he's using. He didn't use it way back when and I like it. Hell, he's opened up quite a bit of his range since then even without those really high notes. I can't see how anyone could not notice and continue to say he has no range. Its B.S. I notice that argument is mostly coming from people who don't know shit and equates singing in a higher register to having more range. That tends to be the case with Hagar fans.

Full Bug
01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Watching the Maple Leafs game, and during the stop in play, they played VH 'Panama', and I said joking, "they should play Tattoo instead", and she said all serious, "shut the fuck up with the VH stuff, I am sick of hearing it".....
Wow, what a bitch, you would think she would be understanding how cool this day is, break up stuff? I wonder, BITCH.....

SNIPER
01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
It sounds to me like Ed is using most of the bridge pick-up for leads again. Solo sounds killer!!

VHscraps
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Discuss....

Think I noticed that the copyright listed for the song (on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tattoo/dp/B006UIZ86W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326240176&sr=1-1-catcorr)) is "2011 The Three Twins, LLC and Diamond Dave Enterprises, Inc."

'Three Twins' = Ed, Al and Wolf ...

VanHalenI
01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
True that man, true that... FUCKING VAN HALEN FINALLY SOME NEW SHIT COMES UP just when the worlds comin' to an end... I hope those guys make a huge WORLD TOUR Mexico, Europe, shit... Australia!

Whorehey
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM
The grin on Dave's face during the first pre-chorus..
Holy crap, they JUST showed a commercial for Van Halen tickets during the Blackhawks game!!!

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
No , actually, you're catching the end of some douche making it a bigger a deal then it was. My original post had several reasons why I didn't dig it.

And even that may be too strong to describe it. Maybe "underwhelmed" is better.

My main point is that coming off the AMAZING show and press of the Cafe Wha? performance, I think "Tattoo " as a single might STRATEGICALLY be a bad move IF the press received the song as being weak.

It looks like I might very well be WRONG as the press seems to be accepting it as good. I have no problem with that. I want them to destroy Slammy with a great album for the crap he's been saying in the press and just be A BADASS ALBUM.

Maybe you didn't hear me: Fuck you little Boy. We will take this up anyplace you want to Newbie. Bring it. You are in over your head. "Douche" was over in 7th grade over 4 years ago now. At least get hip to the Lingo.

And I mean it.

:monekyl: K?-Tiny?:monekyr:

You and Bleater just go bed down together.

:hula:

Even Elvis will take your sorry ass out.

:elvis:

Sic'em Russell.

Savvy?

:painkiller:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
It sounds to me like Ed is using most of the bridge pick-up for leads again. Solo sounds killer!!

The solo is just so perfect...

I remember about 25 years ago, EVH said in an article (paraphrasing) that anybody can do some tapping in the solo of a song, but most of it will sound like "look at me, I can tap"....

Ed's tapping within his solos just fit perfectly within the melody of the song....

K-tuna
01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Maybe you didn't hear me: Fuck you little Boy. We will take this up anyplace you want to Newbie. Bring it. You are in over your head. "Douche" was over in 7th grade over 4 years ago now. At least get hip to the Lingo.

And I mean it.

:monekyl: K?-Tiny?:monekyr:

You and Bleater just go bed down together.

:hula:

Even Elvis will take your sorry ass out.

:elvis:

Sic'em Russell.

Savvy?

hey Captain c%nt, did I get little Joe Biden mad?

Why so serious?

Really? whacha gonna do message board dumbass? I saw where you tried to look over my profile.

Get Back on topic Douche-nozzle.

I was talking the album , You're loser.

VanHalenI
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
The solo is just so perfect...

I remember about 25 years ago, EVH said in an article (paraphrasing) that anybody can do some tapping in the solo of a song, but most of it will sound like "look at me, I can tap"....

Ed's tapping within his solos just fit perfectly within the melody of the song....

Bro, I came when the solo started, ED is at the top of his game! 110% EDWARD VAN HALEN MODE

Matt White
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Really had a chance to crank it today of the car stereo (The HOG in Milwaukee)

You can really hear the change in ED's tone.....his new EVH III amp is closer to a Mesa Boogie rectifier than a Plexi Marshall.........

No wonder the Death Metal crowd love his amps.............just had a very "modern" sound to the guitar

diamondsgirl
01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
A DJ here in Boston said (earlier tonight) that people are "going crazy" over the new VH song and not to worry if you missed it at the top of the hour they will be playing it again and again during the night

dazzlindino
01-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Dave...thanks for bringing the world new Van Halen music!
Thanks for sticking it out and making it work!
Played Tatto 30 times on the studio monitors cranked to 100 db, it rocks ....i'm still smilin'!
The union tatto part gives me chills......
Been along for the ride since 78......Thanks!

TJMKID
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Played Tatto 30 times on the studio monitors cranked to 100 db, it rocks ....i'm still smilin'!

Couldnt have said it better myself ---- "Tattoo" can't be fully appreciated until blasted on high-end speakers or headphones ---- amazing how many dummies wanna listen to it on a cell phone.

And I agree with Dave ---- fuck the unions ---- they ruined America's competitive edge.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4194/warf1.jpg

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 09:46 PM
And I agree with Dave ---- fuck the unions ---- they ruined America's competitive edge.

I don't think that's what he meant.

diamondsgirl
01-10-2012, 10:02 PM
From Loudwire:
It’s worth a mention that this is not the first new VH song with DLR singing since 1984, as Diamond Dave laid down his voice on ‘Me Wise Magic’ in 1996 for the ‘Greatest Hits’ set and that song was a No. 1 radio hit. But fastforward 16 years and we’ve got ourselves a fresh new ‘Tattoo’ to admire. The verdict? It sounds like vintage Van Halen and thanks to the chorus, it will leave in imprint on your brain much like a tatt on your skin. ‘Tattoo’ sounds like Van Halen circa 1982, give or take a few years. It kicks off with a bluesy, opening riff and you just know it’s Eddie Van Halen. His tone has remained a constant throughout the years and we wouldn’t expect anything less. Diamond Dave is a little raspier, but it’s not a jarring difference or change. It’s just a fact of aging and all that singing and talking he does, giving his voicebox a workout. But the big question any Van Halen fan worth his or her salt had pertained to those harmonies that were often handled by ex-bassist..... blah blah blah blah.....

Well, in this song, those harmonies are there. The chorus is also mega hooky, as they sing “Tat-too, tat-too” and DLR coos about a sexy dragon tattoo. Despite the overall classic nature of the sound, it’s not like you are stepping into a time warp, 100 percent. It’s just an older and wiser Van Halen, aged like a fine wine. We applaud them for keeping up with the times, and making relevant rock. Subject-wise, tatts are more popular now than during their first go round, and they’ve changed with the times and appeal to a younger audience by writing a song about ink. There’s been no dilution of the players’ ability to rock out recklessly, either.

Van Squalen
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Loving it. It was a sleeper at first, but good gawd when it grew on ya, it fuckin' sprouted like a mutant weed.

Best thing from Eddie (or Dave) in the last 16 years. Blows doors on MWM and CGTSNM, too.

Mr. Vengeance
01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Watching the Maple Leafs game, and during the stop in play, they played VH 'Panama', and I said joking, "they should play Tattoo instead", and she said all serious, "shut the fuck up with the VH stuff, I am sick of hearing it".....
Wow, what a bitch, you would think she would be understanding how cool this day is, break up stuff? I wonder, BITCH.....

Dump her.

njbill
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
And he's got a hellova lower end which I'm glad he's using. He didn't use it way back when and I like it. Hell, he's opened up quite a bit of his range since then even without those really high notes. I can't see how anyone could not notice and continue to say he has no range. Its B.S. I notice that argument is mostly coming from people who don't know shit and equates singing in a higher register to having more range. That tends to be the case with Hagar fans.

Hagar sings in the key of gay

78/84 guy
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Discuss....

Oh it's a merger ! These guy's have had different agents, lawyer & every thing else under the sun for 20 plus years ! There is probably money going all over the place to pay people from the two camps. I think Mike signed his right away on the 04 tour. VH on paper as one unit died in 1984 !

redfire
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
The more I listen to the track, the more I like it. DLR's phrasing and rhythm sound like ALAE, or DLR Band. Go figure the lead song off the album would be about milf's basically. Hilarious lyrics, very tongue-in-cheek... And how about Ed. Best solo he's done since MWM and CGTSNM. Al and Wolf sound in sync and tight.

Bottom line, it just sounds right to my ears.

SNIPER
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I just saw that Chickenshit just released their second single today. Hmmm. Fucking coattail riding pussies.

DLR Bridge
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
After 5 plays, I was liking it. After 20 plays, I'm lovin' it! I had minor little beefs that have all but dissipated by now such as separating it entirely from Down In Flames, Ed's rhythm guitar sounding a bit too compressed and buzz-saw-y, "sexy dragon magic" & "you put a spell on me". All petty shit that I'm over. One thing I'm hoping to hear on the album is Al loosen up a bit. I know he's no spring chick... uh, he's not that young anymore, but for a song that lumbers at a slow steady pace, he could've thrown a little more spice in there. As far as the video goes, I was thinking that what we had seen for a few weeks leading up to the big day were actually going to turn out to be outtakes for a much better video. It was a bit of a let down to not see some inked up ultra hotties stickin' it in the camera. The subject matter alone was screaming out for more of a Hot For Teacher type video. Perhaps a video for She's The Woman will have a living, breathing smokin' hot subject that's based on the song's title. Can't wait to hear the rest!

redfire
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Interesting note, MTV and Rolling Stone gave the song thumbs up reviews. Personally, I don't care about the opinions of either of those places, but its great to hear =VH= getting love.

K-tuna
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I just saw that Chickenshit just released their second single today. Hmmm. Fucking coattail riding pussies.

I hope the album destroys Slammy. wow....just wow.

thats just crap, shrewd move, but crap.

sonrisa salvaje
01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I bought the track today and man it grows on you. That chorus is echoing thru my head. Has anyone noticed that the texture of the layered vocals in the chorus where he sings "Tattoo, tattoo" sound the same as the vocals on "You're Breathin It" where he sings "breathin it, breathin it?"
Big thumbs up.

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Has anyone noticed that the texture of the layered vocals in the chorus where he sings "Tattoo, tattoo" sound the same as the vocals on "You're Breathin It" where he sings

wow,, good catch!

kwame k
01-10-2012, 10:50 PM
After 5 plays, I was liking it. After 20 plays, I'm lovin' it! I had minor little beefs that have all but dissipated by now such as separating it entirely from Down In Flames, Ed's rhythm guitar sounding a bit too compressed and buzz-saw-y, "sexy dragon magic" & "you put a spell on me". All petty shit that I'm over. One thing I'm hoping to hear on the album is Al loosen up a bit. I know he's no spring chick... uh, he's not that young anymore, but for a song that lumbers at a slow steady pace, he could've thrown a little more spice in there. As far as the video goes, I was thinking that what we had seen for a few weeks leading up to the big day were actually going to turn out to be outtakes for a much better video. It was a bit of a let down to not see some inked up ultra hotties stickin' it in the camera. The subject matter alone was screaming out for more of a Hot For Teacher type video. Perhaps a video for She's The Woman will have a living, breathing smokin' hot subject that's based on the song's title. Can't wait to hear the rest!

I'm just wondering if they wanted to keep production costs down and not get too far into debt.

Wait and see what the single does and if it looks like a runaway smash, invest some cash then and put out a proper video.

ashstralia
01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
me and barns just cranked it through the big speakers... my god it freakin kills!!!

redfire
01-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Really had a chance to crank it today of the car stereo (The HOG in Milwaukee)

You can really hear the change in ED's tone.....his new EVH III amp is closer to a Mesa Boogie rectifier than a Plexi Marshall.........

No wonder the Death Metal crowd love his amps.............just had a very "modern" sound to the guitar

Good call about the amp. Its got 2 distortion channels. The first distorted channel is like a Marshall, and the second is like a Mesa Boogie. Although I don't think he played in the neck pickup the entire song. Of course I think neck pickups shouldn't even be hooked up...

Dan
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I Love It,I Love It And I Love It.:D

Vinnie Velvet
01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Fucking Spammy and fake VH fans are tearing this song apart on YouTube comments.

Ignorant fuckers.

TJMKID
01-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I hope the album destroys Slammy. wow....just wow.

thats just crap, shrewd move, but crap.

Typical jealous scumbag move by the World's Ugliest Tequila Salesman ---- cant do shit without attaching his filthy name to Van Halen

Vinnie Velvet
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Typical jealous scumbag move by the World's Ugliest Tequila Salesman ---- cant do shit without attaching his filthy name to Van Halen

My hatred of all things Hagar has just been elevated to new heights.

DLR Bridge
01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Fucking Spammy and fake VH fans are tearing this song apart on YouTube comments.

Ignorant fuckers.

There's even a high level of trash talk over at the VHND where I couldn't help but notice the wave of new post handles. Fucking morons.

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Fuck em. Focus on the album, and the tour coming up. Meet up with Army regulars. Blast Tattoo. And FUCK 'EM.

ThatArtGuy
01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
The thing about the legal part of the single that I found interesting wasn't the Three Twins and DDE thing. What I found interesting that the music is licensed to Interscope. Seems that they're going the White Stripes route and keeping complete control of the music.

SNIPER
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I refuse to continue reading those nonsense comments on any of those other pages anymore, I am just getting super worked up about it. Had to take a xanax, Not worth it.

kwame k
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
There's even a high level of trash talk over at the VHND where I couldn't help but notice the wave of new post handles. Fucking morons.

Probably all Spammy's aliases.......

jabrow75
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Just realised / remembered - Va was posting earlier on about clicking on the ad banner for Tattoo at the top of the page here on the Army.

That takes you direct to the item on Amazon, and some proceeds come back to Roth Army ... try that

I clicked on the banner. On the right side of the amazon page is a green box that says "This will be available on January 14th" What the hell, is iTunes the only place to get this from?!?

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM

Sweet As *TM Dan

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Fuck em. Focus on the album, and the tour coming up. Meet up with Army regulars. Blast Tattoo. And FUCK 'EM.

Yea Baby.....dat is where we all been. Comes' Frijoles Man! How You Bean?

:jaw:

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:33 PM
If you eat Bean frijoles then your noises can trumpet the return of =VH=!

ThatArtGuy
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
If you eat Bean frijoles then your noises can trumpet the return of =VH=!

Bean frijoles? How do you get bean beans?

tod
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I wanted to get my mp3 DL tonight and it aint happening. So much for overdoing it on the way to work tomorrow. I do NOT want to snag audio off a YouTube..but speaking of that..

Anybody have the full audio of Dave's Clearchannel radio show?

I clicked on the banner. On the right side of the amazon page is a green box that says "This will be available on January 14th" What the hell, is iTunes the only place to get this from?!?

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Bean frijoles? How do you get bean beans?

I don't know Suninius said you could. I have no idea what's in a damned frijole anyway.

Catfish
01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know Suninius said you could. I have no idea what's in a damned frijole anyway.

I'll show ya!

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Make good.

Catfish
01-10-2012, 11:46 PM
I actually thought it said 'fajita' at first. Frijole is just a bean :(

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Got it. Thank all you.

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Dump her.

Agreed. Fucking lose time with that shit and you will be sorry.

SunisinuS
01-10-2012, 11:52 PM
SS...How you Been?

Do you notice at the end of the track....as Eddie becomes all strings again.....that he says Show you me and show you me?

Listen closely.

How you Bean?

twonabomber
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I actually thought it said 'fajita' at first. Frijole is just a bean :(

maybe i will walk up to the first Mexican chick i see tomorrow (ain't too hard around here!) and aske her if she likes her frijole flicked.

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:53 PM
This bean thing will follow me forever.

Hey I'm fine! Yes somebody said it had the flavor of "Cathedral" and I do hear that a bit.

78/84 guy
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I was laughing my ass of at some of the You Tube coments !! The video could have been better but whatev !! I'm just going to throw this out there. Why do you think they felt like they couldn't release this with the Down In Flames lyrics ?? Anyone. And let me state I do love this song, just curious. I listened to the demo today. It's not blowaway to me like Bullithead but still good. Bullithead better not be fucked with or Iwill not like it.

gbranton
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
OK want to hear some crazy shit? I researched the painting below a little. It's by Robert Williams, who some of you might know as having painted the original cover (which was rejected) for Guns and Roses "Appetite For Destruction".

http://images.artnet.com/images_US/magazine/features/mccormick/mccormick1-8-10-3.jpg

In the late 1960's Williams did advertisements and graphics for Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. So did Williams go from working for one Big Daddy Roth in the 1960's to inspiring our Big Daddy Roth in the new millenium? What I see swirling around Sally's head could sort of be called a green dragon. I see a hula girl lamp as well.

I think I found "Swap Meet Sally."

Did some Googling and found this on an online art gallery for artists to display their stuff...look at the background on the left side...

http://www.artnet.com/Images/magazine/features/mccormick/mccormick1-8-10-8.jpg

Douglas T.
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Not sure glanced thru the post didn't see lyrics posted.

Tattoo, tattoo

I got Elvis on my elbow.
When I flex, Elvis talks.
I got hula girls on the back of my leg.
And she hulas when I walk.

Screaching cherry red
Screamin' electric green
Purple mountain's majesty
Really talk to me. Talk to me, babe.

Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Mousewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo.
Tattoo, tattoo

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Show me your dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.

Best believe that needle won't hurt you.
Best to see these true colors, than to follow one of your false virtues.

Here's a secret to make you think:
Why is the crazy stuff we never say, poetry in ink?
Speaking little red,
Ex photo pink
Show me you, I'll show you me.

Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Tattoo, tattoo.

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Got a hold on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Put a spell on me.

(Solo)

Uncle Danny, had a coal tattoo
He fought for the unions
Some of us still do.
On my shoulder is the number
of the chapter he was in.
That number is forever
like the struggle here to win.

(Everybody!)
Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Mousewife to bombshell in the time it takes to get that new tattoo.
Tattoo, tattoo.

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Got a hold on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Put a spell on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'm in love with you.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'll show me, show me yours.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Let me take a look at you.
(Tattoo, tattoo)

ThatArtGuy
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
You mean the ones I posted on page 9 and then were posted by someone else on the VHND and has been circulating around from there? I might have seen them...

Douglas T.
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
LOL! I guess I over looked that page! Well maybe someone missed them as well! :D

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
some discrepancies in the lyrics I have read like momshell/bombshell and gold tattoo/coal tattoo. Interesting to find out which are right.

Douglas T.
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I am guessing the lyrics posted are wrong! Knowing my luck this has already been posted as well!

<snippit>
Former Editor of US Weekly magazine and mother of two, Janice Min, sealed a book deal for an insider view on how celebrity moms look so fantastic. Expect From Mousewife to Momshell: The Rules and Celebrity Secrets for Being a Thinner, Younger, and Sexier Mom to hit book stores in the spring of next year.
How long do you think it took her to come up with that goofy clever title?
http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/tag/from-mousewife-to-momshell-the-rules-and-celebrity-secrets-for-being-a-thinner/

It appears this link has the correct lyrics:
http://www.lyricsnotes.com/2012/01/van-halen-tattoo.html

ThatArtGuy
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I thought gold tattoo to begin with, but it didn't sound right. With the union theme coal sounded more correct, sound-wise and contextually. I still stand by the bombshell lyric, but I've been proven wrong before. Just ask my wife. :drum:

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 12:28 AM
this is interesting...http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCTATTOO;ttCTATTOO.html

Douglas T.
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Don't sweat the little shit!

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 12:35 AM
this is interesting...http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCTATTOO;ttCTATTOO.html

WOW that would make PERFECT sense for Dave - and I do think he had relatives that settled in PA, cannot remember WHERE for the life of me I may have seen that. If coal tattoo is some kind of injury that leaves a mark........

SunisinuS
01-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Not sure glanced thru the post didn't see lyrics posted.

Tattoo, tattoo

I got Elvis on my elbow.
When I flex, Elvis talks.
I got hula girls on the back of my leg.
And she hulas when I walk.

Screaching cherry red
Screamin' electric green
Really talk to me. Talk to me, babe.

Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Tattoo, tattoo

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Show me your dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.

Best believe that needle won't hurt you.
Best to see these true colors, than to follow one of your false virtues.

Here's a secret to make you think:
Why is the crazy stuff we never say, poetry in ink?
Speaking little red,
Ex photo pink
Show me you, I'll show you me.

Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Tattoo, tattoo.

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Got a hold on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Put a spell on me.

(Solo)

Uncle Danny, had a coal tattoo
He fought for the unions
Some of us still do.
On my shoulder is the number
of the chapter he was in.
That number is forever
like the struggle here to win.

(Everybody!)
Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Mousewife to bombshell in the time it takes to get that new tattoo.
Tattoo, tattoo.

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Got a hold on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Put a spell on me.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'm in love with you.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'll show me, show me yours.
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Let me take a look at you.
(Tattoo, tattoo)

Explodo Pink? Only change I think I heard. As this is about the Woman.

There it is: if you look a Blacklight lights up "Explodo Pink". Lol....Dave always looks around. Hell I will never get Ink as I am a very private person....but nice to see Dave and VH looking around.

Roth & Roll
01-11-2012, 12:49 AM
I think many people are overlooking the obvious about the "Tattoo" video - the whole thing is meant to be tongue and cheek.

The "botched" lip-syncing, the unplugged instruments, lack of microphones, and reverse film of Dave dancing and throwing (then catching) his scarf, are all an obvious poke at how hard some artists try to replicate a "live" performance for video, when they're just lip-syncing.

At least that's what I took away from the video - I loved it.

SunisinuS
01-11-2012, 01:02 AM
I think many people are overlooking the obvious about the "Tattoo" video - the whole thing is meant to be tongue and cheek.

The "botched" lip-syncing, the unplugged instruments, lack of microphones, and reverse film of Dave dancing and throwing (then catching) his scarf, are all an obvious poke at how hard some artists try to replicate a "live" performance for video, when they're just lip-syncing.

At least that's what I took away from the video - I loved it.

Yup and Explodo Pink is use to catch criminals.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6740030_types-ink-tags.html

So I like how "Purple Mountain Majesty" first talks to a Babe with Ink and then in the Wind Up he says "Purple Mountain Majesty" means I don't want or care to meet you." Damn, Four Years of Lyrical Thinking by Dave. NJ Van Halen.

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Same people who seem to be hating the new tune are the same who insist that the Stones haven't done a thing worth listening to since Tattoo You and Metallica hasn't has a single good song since Master of Puppets....

If you were expecting Unchained....I imagine you're upset.

I like it.

I like it, too. I also really like "She's The Woman." And now we have a little less than a month to wait for the other 11 songs. Based on what I've heard so far, I'm excited.

SunisinuS
01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Dammit Dammit Dammit and thanks to DDE and This damn Website...I am starting to get the video as well.

If you start to notice certain elements are timed just right.

WARF for one. As I look like Wolfie and WARF at the same time....lmfao.

Least I Lived to see this Day.

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 01:19 AM

Ignorant fuckers.

I can almost feel sorry for the Sammy fans. This album and tour are giving such a HUGE boost to VH -- and their guy is on the outside looking in. VH is getting major publicity and people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for concert tickets, and it's as if Sammy never existed. He's totally irrelevant. They have Chickenfoot, but outside of hardcore fanatics, nobody knows who they are.

SunisinuS
01-11-2012, 01:26 AM
I can almost feel sorry for the Sammy fans. This album and tour are giving such a HUGE boost to VH -- and their guy is on the outside looking in. VH is getting major publicity and people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for concert tickets, and it's as if Sammy never existed. He's totally irrelevant. They have Chickenfoot, but outside of hardcore fanatics, nobody knows who they are.

It is Fucking Green Eyed Murder at this point. You know the Press. Damn Destruction.

NJ Murder and VH....Fucking Ban me for Posting Too Much....but Fucking Veneration.

SunisinuS
01-11-2012, 01:27 AM
QUOTE=GreenEyedMurder;1592225]I can almost feel sorry for the Sammy fans. This album and tour are giving such a HUGE boost to VH -- and their guy is on the outside looking in. VH is getting major publicity and people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for concert tickets, and it's as if Sammy never existed. He's totally irrelevant. They have Chickenfoot, but outside of hardcore fanatics, nobody knows who they are.[/QUOTE]

It is Fucking Green Eyed Murder at this point. You know the Press. Damn Destruction.

NJ Murder and VH....Fucking Ban me for Posting Too Much....but Fucking Veneration.

tjvhou812
01-11-2012, 01:28 AM
after the 700th listen, it still kicks ass

vanshipman
01-11-2012, 01:48 AM
After constant listening to this song, Im kind of getting a "Cradle Will Rock" vibe, which is a good thing. It cracks me up to read some of the moronic responses from Hagar fans about it being horrible, etc. Sounds like Vintage VH to me, which is something Sammy could never replicate. If you took every song that a Sammy Hagar lover insisted that "Rocks" it wouldnt measure up to one from Van Halen. Now if Sammy wants to tour with Jimmy Buffet and Toby Keith, and possibly Journey, he will be right at home. Thats unless of course the Buffet fans reject him for taking the glow in the dark clothes a little too far...

fifth element
01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
key word:
almost

Panamark
01-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Fuck any disgruntled Sammy fans.
Fuck Hagar !

If they really truly love Van Halen, then they have to hate him
on his recent book alone. That shit was totally disrepectful.
We won, they lost.

End of story.

DavidLeeNatra
01-11-2012, 02:03 AM

We won, they lost.

End of story.

amen to that, Mark!

DavidLeeNatra
01-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I just tortured myself a bit and listened to their last single "It's about time"...no comparism...no vibe, nothing...annoying after a few seconds...no grove, nothing...

ed complaining about the crowd going death when they were playing new songs on the 2003 to(rt)ur...well ed, no wonder if they suck that bad...now imagine all of us with a wounded thumb from pressing the replay button singing along to the new shit...

sadaist
01-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Fuck Hagar !

Yeah, they say it doesn't sound like VH. Umm, have they heard "Feelin'", "Not Enough", "How Many Say I", "Josephine"........................

Tattoo sounds like Van Halen because IT IS VAN HALEN.

Why Hagar fans still feel the need to go to VH forums is beyond me. They always brag how much great stuff he has done since VH....well then, why are you still on a VH site? Idiots.

Yount
01-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Yup and Explodo Pink is use to catch criminals.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6740030_types-ink-tags.html

So I like how "Purple Mountain Majesty" first talks to a Babe with Ink and then in the Wind Up he says "Purple Mountain Majesty" means I don't want or care to meet you." Damn, Four Years of Lyrical Thinking by Dave. NJ Van Halen.

Yeah, Roth fans listen on multi-levels!

Panamark
01-11-2012, 02:24 AM
I have no idea why Chickenpoop fans hang out in VH world ?
Do they want the "poop" to disband and Sammy to sing
Dreams again ?

K-tuna
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy, but the music for those songs were pretty slammin'. Only Ed can come up with a groove riff for a song with pick scrapes. I wish i had some software to isolate the tracks from the vocals.

But That book stuff was so bad he deserved a size 14 boot up the wazzo for the horrible crap he wrote.

Yount
01-11-2012, 02:39 AM
The 30 second clip was ok on first listen, i wondered what was up lyrically!!?? With the full listening experience those lyrics are great!!! But I'll only fully understand 'em in 3-5 years time like Dave wants me to!!!

Yount
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
Panamark is cool ridgy didge mate!

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 02:41 AM
TAT-TOO TAT-TOO!!!

nothin' but yeah. :)

sadaist
01-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy.

I actually give Sammy the benefit of the doubt on those for the lyrics. Eddie was in a very bad way and kept forcing Sam to rewrite lyrics. Same as he did to Dave in 1996. But even without listening to the actual words, the singing just doesn't fit the songs for me. Lame.

Yount
01-11-2012, 02:46 AM
I think the end sounds like "You're no good", the verses have hints of "Goin' Crazy" keys... The solo is great but those tricks, yeah it's a combination of all of 'em. I've heard it before but only Van Halen can replicate it. Truth. Different kind, i'll take it though...

Yount
01-11-2012, 02:49 AM
I can almost and their guy is on the outside looking in.

ha ha!! Have you heard Standing Hampton?

Hardrock69
01-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Man, those lyrics are GREAT!

Uncle Dave always was great at the lyrical turn of events.....manufacturing the perfect, cool and interesting verbal accompaniment to the music.

"Hey I dig the way the line runs up the back of her stockings.........I've always like those high-heels too....."

:lmao:

Even his off-the-cuff improvisations are fucking grate! ;)

Yount
01-11-2012, 03:33 AM

Uncle Dave always was great at the lyrical turn of events.....manufacturing the perfect, cool and interesting verbal accompaniment to the music.

"Hey I dig the way the line runs up the back of her stockings.........I've always like those high-heels too....."

IMHO the lyrics are what I've been waiting for. Dave has always played with stellar musicians. I just love his view on things and his sense of humour. Sammy? Eh? The music was good, that's my memory of it. I liked the solo and all that peripheral shit, just to dupe myself i liked VH '86-'96.

Yount
01-11-2012, 03:33 AM

IMHO the lyrics are what I've been waiting for. Dave has always played with stellar musicians. I just love his view on things and his sense of humour. Sammy? Eh? The music was good, that's my memory of it. I liked the solo and all that peripheral shit, just to dupe myself i liked VH '86-'96.

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 03:34 AM
i've gotta say again... i fucking LOVE how at 2.20, it's all about russell.

then we get treated to some real eddie van halen. the david lee roth version. the original.

Yount
01-11-2012, 03:37 AM
I played BIG FOOT and TATTOO!. Before Sammy starts to sing me thinks this is a rocking song. His vocs are like syphilis, like a dentist drill! Give me Dave or the grave.

Yount
01-11-2012, 03:39 AM
i've gotta say again... i fucking LOVE how at 2.20, it's all about russell.

then we get treated to some real eddie van halen. the david lee roth version. the original.

DWN UNDR. yeah i like his little kick too just for old times! Tour here fuckers!

binnie
01-11-2012, 03:44 AM
The fact there's so much debate is a sign that the band is challenging your expectations and doing something different. That's the sign of a band, rather than a nostalgia trip.

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 03:48 AM
they will yount. for sure. there's ya first thanks.

fifth element
01-11-2012, 03:56 AM
one last comment, then off to bed.....
after listening to the song every 5-10 minutes all night/morning long....

i love it, love it, love it!!!!!!

love the music, the lyrics and, (yes, i know it goes against the mojority), but I love the video.
Dave looks happy
Eddie looks happy
Wolfie looks happy
Alex looks happy

and best yet...they all look happy TOGETHER!!!!

Many, many thanks go out this day to the friend who taught me to love this band....you know who you are...:thumb:

Yount
01-11-2012, 04:18 AM
they will yount. for sure. there's ya first thanks.

hey ash i'm a long time member... just cleaning the slate starting new right here i say! guess who?

(nobody special!!)

Yount
01-11-2012, 04:23 AM

love the music, the lyrics and, (yes, i know it goes against the mojority), but I love the video.
Dave looks happy
Eddie looks happy
Wolfie looks happy
Alex looks happy

Many, many thanks go out this day to the friend who taught me to love this band....you know who you are...:thumb:

I remember first getting into Van Halen and Dave RUBBED MY NOSE OUTTA JOINT!!!!!
God did that motherfucker grow on me. He SEEMED like a SHOW PONY but then it hit me like a skyscraper.
I FINALLY UNDERSTOOD SHOWMANSHIP and TONGUE IN CHEEK. Ah DAve, I bow down to thee...

fifth element
ive seen so many new names in the last 2 weeks that i'm pretty sure there are as many new as there are old....and as many RETURNING members as .........well, you get the picture...

at any rate, whoever you are...errrrrr....were.....

welcome back!!!!!!!

Halen High
Dreams again ?

I noticed at the Links there are typically about 700 people discussing Van Halen these days, and about 10 discussing Chickenfoot - and that's a Sammy-friendly site!!!!!! The numbers don't lie - Chickenfoot is so boring, even the Sammy fans would rather talk about Van Halen.

Yount

Dave looks happy
Eddie looks happy
Wolfie looks happy
Alex looks happy

I remember first getting into Van Halen and Dave RUBBED MY NOSE OUTTA JOINT!!!!!
God did that motherfucker grow on me. He SEEMED like a SHOW PONY but then it hit me like a skyscraper.
I FINALLY UNDERSTOOD SHOWMANSHIP and TONGUE IN CHEEK. Ah DAve, I bow down to thee...

fifth element
01-11-2012, 04:27 AM
I FINALLY UNDERSTOOD SHOWMANSHIP and TONGUE IN CHEEK. Ah DAve, I bow down to thee...I'm out of thanks ....AGAIN!!....

but thank you.

Yount
01-11-2012, 04:39 AM
I'm out of thanks ....AGAIN!!....

but thank you.

Woman now woman now silly games you playyeah! (Didn't you, didn't you?!)
Feel 'n me trouble stoke me awaya yeah oooh
say'n that you leaving i don't wanna hear that talk
stare in disbelief when i just up and walk
Outta thanks again
Outta thanks WOOOOOOOOOOAHWOWWWWW!!!... once again, AHHHHH!!

Yount
01-11-2012, 04:41 AM
wow wow wow wah
wow we woo hah
wow wow wow wah
wow wih wow ah
(Ed's solo!)

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Since i got the track yesterday it is pretty much been on repeat and i could not help but think,If i am completely smitten by this song how the hell must you guys and gal's who were there from day one feel.I mean how great is this.In my younger years i liked van hagar and pretty much thought nothing important took place before 1985.Only really been a DLR freak the past 7 or 8 years.You guys who were there in 1978,I gotta say i am really happy for you with all the new van halen news,The album and tour and what ever else is coming our way.All the shit slinging between Dave and the rest of the band.The 1996 stuff.You guys have put up with a world of shit from the band and you deserve everything that this year is bringing.It's a great time to be a CVH fan.(Sorry for gushing at you all but ya know)

Anyhow.Love the song.Got the album on pre order (deluxe version).Thank you Van Halen :)

Roth on all you crazy guys and gal's

Halen High
01-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Since i got the track yesterday it is pretty much been on repeat and i could not help but think,If i am completely smitten by this song how the hell must you guys and gal's who were there from day one feel.I mean how great is this.In my younger years i liked van hagar and pretty much thought nothing important took place before 1985.Only really been a DLR freak the past 7 or 8 years.You guys who were there in 1978,I gotta say i am really happy for you with all the new van halen news,The album and tour and what ever else is coming our way.All the shit slinging between Dave and the rest of the band.The 1996 stuff.You guys have put up with a world of shit from the band and you deserve everything that this year is bringing.It's a great time to be a CVH fan.(Sorry for gushing at you all but ya know)

Anyhow.Love the song.Got the album on pre order (deluxe version).Thank you Van Halen :)

Roth on all you crazy guys and gal's

As a fan going back to '81, I love the song. I think Tattoo is a fitting comeback for Eddie and Dave in the studio and it definitely took me back to how I felt in the early days. I spent my entire 30 minute lunchbreak sitting in my car outside the office today, listening to Tattoo on repeat. Then listened to it another five times all the way home.

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2012, 05:29 AM
As a fan going back to '81, I love the song. I think Tattoo is a fitting comeback for Eddie and Dave in the studio and it definitely took me back to how I felt in the early days. I spent my entire 30 minute lunchbreak sitting in my car outside the office today, listening to Tattoo on repeat. Then listened to it another five times all the way home.

Bet ya got some funny looks in the car :).I put the song on my mp3 player and broke into dance at the bus stop yesterday.I tried not to but meh i said to myself "fuck,this is a historic day,Im gonna dance".Now that got some odd looks :)

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
a different kind of genius. whew. worth the wait? most certainly.

this album (please do a vinyl one important people, we'll buy it!) is going to sound terrific. i just feel it in me bones.

Halen High
01-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Bet ya got some funny looks in the car :).I put the song on my mp3 player and broke into dance at the bus stop yesterday.I tried not to but meh i said to myself "fuck,this is a historic day,Im gonna dance".Now that got some odd looks :)

HA HA! If only they could hear what you were dancing too. Come to think of it, you sound perfect for the next Van Halen video. Send your CV to Dave's management NOW!

Halen High
01-11-2012, 06:17 AM
a different kind of genius. whew. worth the wait? most certainly.

this album (please do a vinyl one important people, we'll buy it!) is going to sound terrific. i just feel it in me bones.

I REALLY hope they do a vinyl version. I know Dave said in that clip that there would be no vinyl release but maybe they will......

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 06:22 AM
he didn't rule it out iirc mate! hope you're well.

Baby's On Fire
01-11-2012, 06:26 AM
The song has a few highlights, but musically it seems like Van Hagar leftovers. It seems like the vocals were thrown over top of the music with very little collaboration. It feels like solo DLR meets Van Hagar.

But I do think the album overall will be good.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-11-2012, 06:31 AM
The song has a few highlights, but musically it seems like Van Hagar leftovers. It seems like the vocals were thrown over top of the music with very little collaboration. It feels like solo DLR meets Van Hagar.

Listen to it again! :)

... and over again! ;)

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 07:10 AM
obviously BOF has been hacked. it's the only plausible explanation.

i'm on my 50th listen and it keeps gettin better...

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 07:27 AM
sexy dragon magic.

VHscraps
01-11-2012, 08:00 AM
just love the way it ends, with those swells that were also the beginning part of Down in Flames.

It's almost like there's a subtle message in that - the end is the beginning, and the beginning is the end.

Or - we're fkkin back.

This is VH ... back to front, upside down, all ways round. As someone rightly pointed out on here the other day: listen to VHI and the 1984, and you think whoooa? what happened? It's like two different bands, but then again it's not. You can say the same - I reckon - for any two of the 6-pack if you put them side-by-side: no two of them sound the same, but they all have the vibe, and the attitude that is Van Halen.

For those who are not getting this - esp. over at the VHND comments section - I can only guess they were expecting a carbon copy of something from the past. But VH never did that - that's the whole point, and one of the things that separated them from Van Hagar, and any other band.

This new VH is just another facet of that.

K-tuna
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I actually give Sammy the benefit of the doubt on those for the lyrics. Eddie was in a very bad way and kept forcing Sam to rewrite lyrics. Same as he did to Dave in 1996. But even without listening to the actual words, the singing just doesn't fit the songs for me. Lame.

Oh man, ESPECIALLY in the case of "UP for Breakfast" I can't get that at all. Are you sure?
If you read any of the interviews with Ed circa 96 and the Twister debacle ( that led to them dumping Slammy) ..the main reason ED was pissed with Slammy was and I'm paraphrasing but " ....all he could do is write about pussy."

Like In the case of the "Humans Being" they had to fight him to not put a love song using Tornado' in the lyrics and he kept coming back with the word Tornado in the song. Finally , they had to just write the lyrics and hand it to Sammy and say " sing this, please"

Then again with " UFB" maybe they were just fed up and let it slide. Point is, its a shame because the riffs in that song were damn cool.

Anyway , back on topic----

I hope Itunes get some previews of the other tunes up in the next week or so. they're locked out now, but heres hoping to at least hear the studio version of STW.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
(please do a vinyl one important people, we'll buy it!)

Agreed!

Baby's On Fire
01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm still getting the message on Amazon that the song is not available. Anyone else having the same problem?

K-tuna
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm still getting the message on Amazon that the song is not available. Anyone else having the same problem?

I know the preference of using Amazon is there with a lot of members, but since they're goofing so bad , have you tried Itunes?

Angel
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I can't stand reading the comments on Youtube anymore... Can't wait for the entire album to come out and put these idiots in their place. I love the song, and it's the freaking single, which is usually my least favourite. I remember how disappointed I was when I first heard "Jump", and I still cringe whenever I hear it....

binnie
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
What does it matter if people don't like it?

Youtube exists as a place for people to bitch....

ZahZoo
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Nice way to start the day... BLASTING Tattoo. It's a good morning kicker...

chefcraig
01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I stopped caring about Youtube commentary years ago. The posters there are more often than not utterly ignorant buffoons, and hell, a good amount of the folks that post the clips themselves appear to be brain-damaged. Either way, you end up attempting to decipher ghastly amounts of illiterate gibberish, and quite honestly, I can get metric-tons of that at work.

Jetstream
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
been listening to Tattoo nonstop but I think there is something to the song which sort of hit me about the backing vocals which I do not think anyone has suggested. Dave in his solo work liked to add that major low voice to the harmonies on his solo lp DLR Band and it might very well be him on Tattoo but I don't think it is. Eddie has a very low voice and I think it is Eddie going Tattoo really low and not actually Dave. Dave sure the hell is capable of it and it really sounds like Eddie's voice to me if you listen close. I know it is just the video and people in videos just sing along but it is not out of the question that low voice is Eddie in the lines 'tattoo tattoo'.

Full Bug
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Nice way to start the day... BLASTING Tattoo. It's a good morning kicker...
Yep, did that and replayed it 3 times, better then a morning coffee.....:)

Jérôme Frenchise
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
been listening to Tattoo nonstop but I think there is something to the song which sort of hit me about the backing vocals which I do not think anyone has suggested. Dave in his solo work liked to add that major low voice to the harmonies on his solo lp DLR Band and it might very well be him on Tattoo but I don't think it is. Eddie has a very low voice and I think it is Eddie going Tattoo really low and not actually Dave. Dave sure the hell is capable of it and it really sounds like Eddie's voice to me if you listen close. I know it is just the video and people in videos just sing along but it is not out of the question that low voice is Eddie in the lines 'tattoo tattoo'.

You might be right, as Ed lip syncs the "tattoo tattoo"... but so does Wolf, then...

I've wondered about that myself too, but can't really tell either.

Anyway, the song has been sticking to my mind since yesterday like a er... tattoo ;)

How kickass it is to see them back together and tighter than ever together, just as if
there hadn't ever been any gap!

No shit, this "Tattoo" will stick hard! :cool:

tod
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm being a whiner here cuz I missed the window and now Amazon won't sell it...just says Jan 14th release date

been listening to Tattoo nonstop

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm digging how in little sections the film is going in reverse like the one part with dave and the scraf and a couple of bits with Al's drumming..........

tod
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm a conspiracy nut so I read little things like that as symbolic. I keep wondering if they need a disclaimer at the beginning for epileptics...that strobe effect is pretty thick.

I'm digging how in little sections the film is going in reverse like the one part with dave and the scraf and a couple of bits with Al's drumming..........

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.

Nitro Express
01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know if anyone else here has called into their local radio to request the song, but I did this morning.

That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.

moose
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I know the preference of using Amazon is there with a lot of members, but since they're goofing so bad , have you tried Itunes?

That's where my son and all his buddies got the
tune
I tried with Amazon.....got fed up
Went to ITunes

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.

bru87tr
01-11-2012, 11:27 AM

When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.

bru87tr
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM

It is definitely Ed. I noticed that too.

Jagermeister
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Just some random thoughts and comments...

I'm very happy that I'm listening to this song a lot because I genuinely like it... not because I'm trying to convince myself that I like it. All you want is for the lead off hitter to get on base... a single is fine... he doesn't need to hit a home run. IMO, it's got a great vibe and swagger to it... what more were people expecting. I mean let's be honest... Van Halen couldn't out do 'Fair Warning' even when they were in their prime... was there really any expectation that they would be able to do it 30 years later?

I could have did without the keyboards... it just begs for that old contention that Dave didn't want keyboards in VH. I don't think Dave ever had a problem with keyboards... i think he just made the correct point that Van Halen fans didn't want to come to a Van Halen concert and watch Ed's 'dead ass play the keyboard'... I mean fuck, would fans go to a Clapton, Beck, Hendrix (etc) concert and be happy to see them sit or stand at a keyboard? Fuck no.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ed's playing is a little subdued on the track... instead of using keyboards to add depth to the song, why not have Ed throw in some more fills. Maybe this is just a more disciplined Edward playing these days.

I am still convinced that Ted Templeman is the only producer who knows how to make David Lee Roth sound like 'David Lee Roth'.

I agree. I heard it on the radio last night on the way home from work. A. I thought i dig this tune. B. I thought Templeman would have done a better job with it. That may be a large part of the guitar being subdued as well IMO.

And I'm glad you finally chimed in.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
That worked in the day where radio stations were locally owned but those have been all bought up by big media companies and the corporation decides the format. Thank's to Bush thay all have a device where the government literally can take over the broadcast at will if they want. The DJ is no longer in charge of songs. They are given a script and told what to do. If you don't tow the line you get canned.

No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
When it was released yesterday, I had no problem finding it on two different radio stations on the way to work.

Yeah, I know people are playing it.....but it would bode well for the single and new album if people are actually requesting it.......

Full Bug
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Mr. Walker! How the hell have you been?
Great to see ya bro.....

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I think Dave sounds fine... I love those deep, deep vocals mixed in the pre-chorus (just a funny thing to bring up... I was looking to see if Dave's book was available on Kindle and Amazon had this comment in their Dave bio "He is one of few vocalists with a larger than 4 octave range in full voice (from G1 to G♯5)"... suck on that Hagar you piece of whale shit).

Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?

Full Bug
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?
Yeah! That was bugging me , I couldn't place where I heard that....

J-Axe
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
First of all, what a joy it is to see fresh material coming from King Edward and Master Roth. It's great to see them happy, healthy and kicking. Whether the happiness is all an act or not (it sure as hell looks very real) it doesn't matter because they're back doing what they did better than anyone else in the history of rock music. OK, they're past their prime and there's an ugly history that will always exist and most likely cause some havoc again somewhere along the road.. but it's CVH and it's not dead when I always thought it was.

I do miss Mikey but as many others have said, if not for Wolfie this all might not be happening. He's the key to Eddie getting his ass/ttitude in gear. And he's not too bad on the bass.

Was always worried about the new material being too familiar almost. Not that Tattoo isn't typical VH, it is in a way, but Eddie's not gone back to find the CVH guitar sound. He progressed as a guitarist beyond the Roth-era regardless of the material and he's carried that sound and personality through in this track, and hopefully through the rest of the album. Yet still clever to pick bones out of some of the earlier unreleased stuff and Down In Flames is very much in this track.. a tribute almost.. and most certainly a big influence. My other worry was that Ed was going to take lead and dare to take any potential spotlight away from Roth.. not the case.. this is very Diamond Dave and you get a feel of some of the DLR-solo stuff, even in the way Eddie approaches things guitar-wise which is very interesting.

Love the lyrics. Witty, fun and proper Roth sarcasm which only he can deliver. Love that the guitar work isn't tense or too structured, it's very loose and relaxed.. love the bits when he drops out and lets the synth hover whilst Roth takes control then he kicks back in with some very simple but effective punchy power chords. Guitar solo is very improvisational and off-the-cuff which is very CVH. Van Hagar stuff was much more methodical and structured. I love both, but with Roth the raw improv style is so much better.

Thank you Van Halen for making the magic happen again.

lesfunk
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM

I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk

Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
BTW... I don't miss Michael Anthony at all.

Jagermeister
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I just watched the video again. Chill bumps again. That's a good sign. Ed looks great, they must all be getting along. F0r the first time since 1984 all is right with the world. :)

Jagermeister
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
:grouphug::cry:

DLR Bridge
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.

WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).
I was at that show.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Video could have used a more prominent dancing tattoo chick... kinda like the one in the Danzig "She Rides" video.
Also... didn't need to see Dave doing the hula.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Stern played Tattoo this morning... gave it a thumbs up... more importantly Fred Norris did as well.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.

Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

BITEYOASS
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
95.5 FM KLOS in Los Angeles is playing Tattoo every 95 minutes! :)

DLR Bridge
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

Good luck! I wasn't able to get MSG tickets. Gone too fast. Gonna try for AC. If not that, gonna follow them on You-Tube I s'pose.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
"Tattoo" keeps playing in my mind that's on repeat mode, can't help it!!
I dunno how to skip to another song, and Feb. 7th is way too far! :dork:

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Dreams again ?

On the positive side, at least they won't have to fork over big money to see Chickenfoot in concert -- they can just go to the local IHOP one day soon.

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy, but the music for those songs were pretty slammin'. Only Ed can come up with a groove riff for a song with pick scrapes. I wish i had some software to isolate the tracks from the vocals.

But That book stuff was so bad he deserved a size 14 boot up the wazzo for the horrible crap he wrote.

Yep, some of the things he wrote in that book were hideous and just a big case of sour grapes. He really does come off as the jilted girl whose boyfriend dumped her for a hotter girl, and she's just never going to get over it -- or shut up about it.

Hellraiser!!
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
My first impression :"Tattoo" is better than CGTSNM and MWM, the pre chorus and the chorus are vicious...can't get off my mind, which is a good sign.

The song sounds like 1998's DLR band with a slightly better production...which is also an amazing thing because that's one of my favorites VH/DLR discs....

I can see this new single and the new album hitting the number one spot in the charts of the whole world!!!

Can't wait to see them rocking Brasil!!

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I can't stand reading the comments on Youtube anymore... Can't wait for the entire album to come out and put these idiots in their place. I love the song, and it's the freaking single, which is usually my least favourite. I remember how disappointed I was when I first heard "Jump", and I still cringe whenever I hear it....

For many years, I didn't really care for "Jump." But then it made its way into my workout playlist on the iPod, and since last week, it now has special meaning for me. ;)

Vinnie Velvet
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I think its somewhat a miracle that the band was able to create something new despite everything these guys have gone through over the years:

Booze, babes, fame, money, drugs, more booze, solo ventures, first (and ugliest) breakup with Dave, hiring shitty replacement no. 1, breakup with replacement no. 1, "fake" reunion with Dave and second breakup with him, hiring shitty replacement no. 2, breakup with replacement no. 2, attempted reunion with Dave again, Eddie's divorce and cancer, Eddie's decent into Hobo/Meth land, shitty reunion tour with replacement no. 1, breakup with replacement no. 1 and with bass player, reunion tour with Dave through Eddie's struggles with alcoholism......

and here we are.

The band - Dave, Ed, Al and Wolf are all ready to rock and have delivered an honest and rocking song to kick things off.

Wow.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
The funny thing is that I can't help but think that if all of this 'internet social networking you tube vimeo' shit was in place when VH released the "Oh! Pretty Woman" single on the heels of the 'Fair Warning' album, you'd be seeing the same amount of criticism that you are seeing in response to 'Tattoo'. In this day and age everyone with a computer/smartphone/tablet is a critic... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.

Hellraiser!!
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.

Everybody....actually Mr Walker is Diamond Dave!!!

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM

These fucks should be playing it all day. Take a fuckin break from the normal repeted bullshit and play some new VH. Called all morning still aint hearing shit.

SFG
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
The funny thing is that I can't help but think that if all of this 'internet social networking you tube vimeo' shit was in place when VH released the "Oh! Pretty Woman" single on the heels of the 'Fair Warning' album, you'd be seeing the same amount of criticism that you are seeing in response to 'Tattoo'. In this day and age everyone with a computer/smartphone/tablet is a critic... not just those Elvis Costello looking motherfuckers.

LMFAO! That is all I read is that they sounded "older" and "different". Well face the facts they are older and to "re-create" another 1984 or Fair Warning is jsut plain ridiculous to set the bar that high.

Oh and nice to see you again Walker...

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
LMFAO! That is all I read is that they sounded "older" and "different". Well face the facts they are older and to "re-create" another 1984 or Fair Warning is jsut plain ridiculous to set the bar that high.

Oh and nice to see you again Walker...

Hello Spanish Gay Guy

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM

My request is on now......now to see if I can win those tickets!!!!!

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
These fucks should be playing it all day. Take a fuckin break from the normal repeted bullshit and play some new VH. Called all morning still aint hearing shit.

Try Q104.3 as well.

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Try Q104.3 as well.
I did they play the same fucking songs everyday.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

So true, I made a similar point earlier.

DLR'sCock
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I did they play the same fucking songs everyday.

They played Tattoo a few times yesterday.

Roth & Roll
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
CHOM 97.7 FM in Montreal can suck a dick - they promote themselves as "The Spirit of Rock", and haven't played "Tattoo" once since it was released yesterday.

Instead, they keep playing the same worn out Sam Roberts, April Wine, and Coldplay songs 10 times a day...cockmunchers.

http://www.chom.com/broadcasthistory.aspx

Thank God for iTunes and YouTube

THEDOCTOR
01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Just heard it on the local station here in South Florida....Big 105.9 fm !

chefcraig
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Just heard it on the local station here in South Florida....Big 105.9 fm !

Christ, how many hours of Def Leppard, Styx and Skynyrd tunes (originally heard in the late seventies and eighties) did you have to sit through? Come to think of it, this actually constitutes a victory of sorts, considering that station's astoundingly narrow and limited playlist!

ThrillsNSpills
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
The only thing that surprised me about this tune is how layered the instruments sound. On some level I was expecting a basic bass drums guitar plus overdubbed lead. Like the old albums. I wish there was a way to listen to it in pure analog too, since the tone of distorted guitar takes a beating. I don't get how anyone could hate the track though.

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
All our local rock station did was mention that Sammy said the whole album was from the vault. LIKE IT MATTER WHAT SAMMY said! Just play the damned song.

SNIPER
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
All our local rock station did was mention that Sammy said the whole album was from the vault. LIKE IT MATTER WHAT SAMMY said! Just play the damned song.
What a fucking joke!!! Shit talking fag!!

ThrillsNSpills
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

He's not on a level field of play musically so he has to compensate .

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

I think there is nothing Sammy would love more than to get into a media battle with Dave or Eddie. How better to boost his band's profile and popularity? Only the real hardcore diehards know Chickenfoot, and it has to be *killing* him that (the REAL) VH is getting this avalanche of publicity and his latest release will soon be totally obscured and forgotten.

Halen High
01-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I think there is nothing Sammy would love more than to get into a media battle with Dave or Eddie. How better to boost his band's profile and popularity? Only the real hardcore diehards know Chickenfoot, and it has to be *killing* him that (the REAL) VH is getting this avalanche of publicity and his latest release will soon be totally obscured and forgotten.

Chickenfoot has had no airplay in Australia. To this day, I haven't heard one track from either of their albums on mainstream rock radio. Tattoo is not only getting played, but our most popular station, TripleM, actualy played the 30 second sample on Monday and the DJs then discussed the song, the band, even Cafe Wha for about 10 minutes. So just a sample of Tattoo has generated more airplay in Australia than Chickenfoot's entire two albums of material.

There's no doubt this is burning Sammy. He knew the VH album would be strong and that's why he was making so many negative comments over the last 12 months.

INeedYou
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
WTUE in Dayton played it this morning, about 25 minutes after Bob and Tom signed off. They backed it up with Dance The Night Away, after mentioning the tour starting down the road in Louisville... Very Cool!

franksters
01-11-2012, 04:06 PM
CHOM 97.7 FM in Montreal can suck a dick - they promote themselves as "The Spirit of Rock", and haven't played "Tattoo" once since it was released yesterday.

Instead, they keep playing the same worn out Sam Roberts, April Wine, and Coldplay songs 10 times a day...cockmunchers.

3rd time I hear it so far.. It'll come don't worry! The big train is coming to town ///

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Chickenfoot has had no airplay in Australia. To this day, I haven't heard one track from either of their albums on mainstream rock radio. Tattoo is not only getting played, but our most popular station, TripleM, actualy played the 30 second sample on Monday and the DJs then discussed the song, the band, even Cafe Wha for about 10 minutes. So just a sample of Tattoo has generated more airplay in Australia than Chickenfoot's entire two albums of material.

There's no doubt this is burning Sammy. He knew the VH album would be strong and that's why he was making so many negative comments over the last 12 months.

I would not know of Chickenfoot if not for this place, VHND, Links. But Van Halen? Everyone has at least heard of them.

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
They played Tattoo a few times yesterday.

Ok glad to hear. Must have missed it.

franksters
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM
=VH= will save the world in 2012 ///

Halen High
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Tattoo is definitely an attempt to appeal to a broad demographic. They are going for new younger generation fans, as well as satisfying at least most of the diehards. This song is perfect for that. It sounds like Classic Van Halen but in 2012 - if you know what I mean. It's catchy, hard and fun with cool, edgey lyrics. Younger people who like classic hard rock will love Tattoo and probably buy the album and eventually get introduced to the six-pack.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Tattoo is definitely an attempt to appeal to a broad demographic. They are going for new younger generation fans, as well as satisfying at least most of the diehards. This song is perfect for that. It sounds like Classic Van Halen but in 2012 - if you know what I mean. It's catchy, hard and fun with cool, edgey lyrics. Younger people who like classic hard rock will love Tattoo and probably buy the album and eventually get introduced to the six-pack.

As far as the younger generation of fans go... I'm not sure as to the extent that Jimmy Iovine of Interscope is going to be involved in American Idol this season, but if he is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he gets VH (most likely Dave) in there as a mentor during one of the weeks along with a subsequent live performance. Steven would be psyched to have VH on the show.

ThrillsNSpills
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM

A Chickenfootnote in rock history. :)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM

And that's why Tattoo is the single, and not something harder hitting, like Bullethead....

SilvioDante
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM
As far as the younger generation of fans go... I'm not sure as to the extent that Jimmy Iovine of Interscope is going to be involved in American Idol this season, but if he is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he gets VH (most likely Dave) in there as a mentor during one of the weeks along with a subsequent live performance. Steven would be psyched to have VH on the show.

I was thinking the same thing. Kiss, Prince, Zakk Wylde, Judas Priest all did the show, why not VH? I wouldn't do it, the show sucks, but if VH wanted to broaden their fan base past the likes of us, I bet they do it.

The show debuts next week, buy Feb. 7th the should be in Hollywoood. I wouldn't rule it out...

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah I'm seeing now why they went with Tattoo. But fuck, I can't wait to hear BULLETHEAD!

tjvhou812
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM

fuck american idol, thats a fag show, and i do not want vh to be apart of that. they have one of the biggest fan base in the world
shit the youtube video already got a million views in a day in a half

SNIPER
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
NO NO NO!!! No VH on AI!! I would be embarrassed for the entire VH community if they did that.

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Fuckin when KISS and Judas Priest were on AI I just laughed my ass off.

SNIPER
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
But if they did X Factor that would be fine.... HAHA!! NOT!!
:smiley-lol:

Angel
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
And that's why Tattoo is the single, and not something harder hitting, like Bullethead....Exactly. :beers8:

Va Beach VH Fan
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
My latest Tweet....

Roth_Army @VanHalenNation @vhlinksdotcom @vanhalennews "Tattoo" is the #1 Rock single in U.S., Canada, Finland, and Netherlands...
Wed, Jan 11 17:31:38 from TwInbox

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Very nice!

SNIPER
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
It really is #1!!??

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
fuck american idol, thats a fag show, and i do not want vh to be apart of that. they have one of the biggest fan base in the world
shit the youtube video already got a million views in a day in a half

Hahaha! Great post tjvhou812!

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
My latest Tweet....

Roth_Army @VanHalenNation @vhlinksdotcom @vanhalennews "Tattoo" is the #1 Rock single in U.S., Canada, Finland, and Netherlands...

I saw they were #19 in the itunes top 100 chart. IMO, that's a remarkable feat. Van Halen with Roth in the top 40 in 2012... that's just awesome!

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
NO NO NO!!! No VH on AI!! I would be embarrassed for the entire VH community if they did that.

Or if Dave did Dancing with the stars......

So this is love
01-11-2012, 05:48 PM

They did not play it often I agree since yesterday, but the broadcast history is screwd up, yesterday they played tattoo several times but its not evenon their schedule.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Note, that's the ROCK chart, not the overall chart....

tjvhou812
01-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Note, that's the ROCK chart, not the overall chart....

i just posted on youtube about a half hour ago that tattoo would hit number 1 in the rock charts

bring on the halen!!!!!!!!

AccidentalAngel
01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
My latest Tweet....

Glad to have contributed to that. Bought it from itunes, put it on a cd an had it on repeat on my car stereo for the best part of the day. Love it, love it, love it!!!!! Not a clue if they played it on dutch radio of course but i'll bomb the most likely radiostations with requests later this week, just wanted to enjoy this for now. It sounds really great on a car stereo, try it!

JIMJAM
01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Longtime lurker and Vh musician since the early 80s.
That said............ I just had to comment on the FM radio station comments. Trust me you guys have it good. The local station here, FOX 102.3 has to be one of the worst excuses for a radio station. They call themselves "Classic Rock".
Its one of those stations that when you turn it on its the same dam song you heard the last time you turned it on. No matter who it be, Stones, ZZ top, Who, its the same dam song EVERY TIME. Even the fukin commercials are the same ones that have been running for years. The DJ has that crazy deep,voice with tons of reverb that Dave made fun of in a vid I saw. You know that ones they use for monster truck events and rock concerts back in the day.
And lastly........ No shit. I have a old classic 1981 car with its stock radio still in it. Thats the only time I listen to FM radio. At least once a week I take it for a good 30 mile drive and I rarely even get to listen to any music. Its ALL FUKIN COMMERCIALS! That drive takes me a good 20 minutes and there are times when its all commercials!
Rant over. On "Tattoo" From a old school hard rock guitar player for 30 years perpective I have mixed feelings. I would have been happier their opening release been faster,heavier and more guitar focused instead of a what made marketing sense. Its obvious Dave has alot of control now with this song showcasing his always clever use of words. His painfull sounding bridge right before the solo does make me cringe a little hahahah. He is the Evh of words but alot of people just do not get it. Fuck em. Hell for 10 years I thought "Thought youd never miss me til I got a big city address" was "till I got to the back seat of your dress".

slimdon
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
...in 2012, and that's pretty f**king cool in my books. After a ton of listens, I'm hooked and love the tune. I'm looking very forward to kicking off my show this Friday afternoon with 'Tattoo', then concluding with it as well. I (like the rest of us) have been waiting a real long time for this stuff, so I'm gunna shove it down as many people's throats as I can!

On my way in to get myself a tattoo today I stopped by the pizza joint to grab a slice, and wouldn't ya know it 'Tattoo' was crankin' through the Pizza Parlour system. Twas a sign from Ra.

2012 and we've got new Van Halen. Thank you Wolf for kicking your dad's ass into shape and getting thee man back into the fold. Thank you very much. I can't say that enough. I'm so very looking forward to Feb 7th.

Amen. We've all been saved,

The Reverend
www.rocknrollbreakfast.com

franksters
01-11-2012, 08:05 PM
They did not play it often I agree since yesterday, but the broadcast history is screwd up, yesterday they played tattoo several times but its not evenon their schedule.

is it just me or there is a lot of people on here from mtl?

chi-town324
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
i played it for a guy at work not a fanatic like me and he said...yep, thats fuckin Van Halen!!

jgdrag
01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Sounds like solo Dave?

jabrow75
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM

I personally have no use for iTunes and no plans on installing, setting up payment option, etc for one damn song. Besides that, I have mp3 credits on Amazon from previous CD purchases. Is this really an Amazon screw up or some exclusive deal with iTunes for the single release in the US? Who knows, but at this point I may just wait for the full CD release. I've already heard the song and seen the video and can listen again anytime on YouTube.

Mr Walker
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I was just hoping after 28 years, to get punched in the face!

If you're really looking to get punched in the face, I'll give you my address and you can stop by the next time you are in the area to watch your favorite overpaid overhyped homo baseball team in that shitty stadium of theirs!

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Anger management.

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
My latest Tweet....

Wow! That is cause for celebration! :cheer:

GreenEyedMurder
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Or if Dave did Dancing with the stars......

Or "Celebrity Apprentice"

Douglas T.
01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
PoodleHead is such an ass!
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fans-claim-van-halens-new-song-tattoo-sounds-like-a-1977-outtake-20120110

bru87tr
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
PoodleHead is such an ass!
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fans-claim-van-halens-new-song-tattoo-sounds-like-a-1977-outtake-20120110

It shows how little most know about VH.

Every VH album has past demos or ideas reused for new songs. Morons!

franksters
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
It shows how little most know about VH.

Every VH album has past demos or ideas reused for new songs. Morons!

All musicians do it...remember, there's no REAL rock'n'roll without a little drama

SNIPER
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Or "Celebrity Apprentice"

I can see the Spamo doing Apprentice for sure, he thinks he is so fucking business smart. I would love to see him fall on his face in prime time. haha