Songs you originally liked because you thought it was somebody else singing them

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Songs you originally liked because you thought it was somebody else singing them

I don't think a thread like this has been done in the House of Music before. So here's the idea....

Post a YouTube of a song you heard, and liked (or even hated, for that matter) because you thought it sounded like somebody else singing it.

Many of you may recall my frequent mentions of a band called the 77s. This is the song that got me interested in them in the first place, way back in 1982, because I thought at the time that it was a new single from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. The lead vocals, harmonies, Byrds-like lead guitar, were all very reminiscent of what Petty was doing at the time. Of course this video wasn't on eMpTyV at the time either, or obviously I could have seen it wasn't them.....

(Yeah, I know this video reeks of early 80's cheezy production, but the song is still great)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

12 years later, the 77's put this one out. I had the album when it was first released, so I knew who it was, but several of my friends thought this was the Stones when I played it on my car stereo. And it would easily have fit on Voodoo Lounge, which came out right about the same time.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Me and a few million other people thought this was a Ringo song when it first came out. If the clip doesn't function, lemme know and I'll fix it when I get home from work.

I also liked America's "Horse With No Name" because I thought it was a Neil Young tune, but I'll be damned if I want to hear it again, let alone post it.
      Last edited by chefcraig; 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

But this thread isn't all about the 77s. How many people thought this band's only US hit was either Genesis or a Phil Collins solo hit?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• SNIPER
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

This was my favorite song for many years. I always thought it was Slayer. Imagine the shock I felt when I found out it was not.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            Me and a few million other people thought this was a Ringo song when it first came out. If the clip doesn't function, lemme know and I'll fix it when I get home from work.

I also liked America's "Horse With No Name" because I thought it was a Neil Young tune, but I'll be damned if I want to hear it again, let alone post it.
            Yep. I thought the same thing about both of those. And I still have a copy of "America's Greatest Hits" on vinyl somewhere, though I can't remember buying it, so it must have been my sister's originally, or something.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
              This was my favorite song for many years. I always thought it was Slayer. Imagine the shock I felt when I found out it was not.
              Especially when you play it backwards and it says "SATAN RAPES LITTLE BABY KOALA BEARS!!!"
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Not that I thought it but remember that horrible rip-off band Kingdom Come......

They released the song without saying what the name of the band was, IIRC!

Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

How many Zep-clone videos from the 80's are we gonna see in this thread?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• SNIPER
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                    Not that I thought it but remember that horrible rip-off band Kingdom Come......

They released the song without saying what the name of the band was, IIRC!
                    Then they opened up on the 1988 Van Gaygar Monsters of Pop tour.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Then they opened up on the 1988 Van Gaygar Monsters of Pop tour.
                      Sadly, I was there.....stayed out in the parking lot til their set was over, though!
                      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by FORD
                        How many Zep-clone videos from the 80's are we gonna see in this thread?
                        I'll narrow it down to say.......'83 to '86

Comment

• SNIPER
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Sadly, I was there.....stayed out in the parking lot til their set was over, though!
                          Yeah, Me too..

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

PONTIAC SILVER DOME 1988.....so much traffic downtown I got out of the car...walked 2 blocks to the liquor store & bought a case of beer...walked out and jumped back in the car!!!

Also advoided seeing KINGDOME CLONE......they sucked DOG BALLS....

went in to see METALLICA DESTROY the place....should have left right then!

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Yeah, Me too..
                              Other than the opener and the headline act it was a good show........

Metallica blew everyone's mind here in Detroit.....Pontiac Silver Dome, to be exact!

Comment

Working...