PDA

View Full Version : If you had any doubts about Van Halen 2012 or ADKOT

Carmine
01-27-2012, 04:38 PM
...and don't say you didn't...We all "wondered".

Can they still do it?
Will it be good?
Will it have that Classic VH sound?
The Wolfgang factor...

Here's my "dont give a fuck what any other person on earth thinks" opinion...

The Cafe Wha? show...magical. No frills, no way to "make it sound better", just in your face Van Halen from start to finish and they fucking nailed it to the wall with a railroad spike!!! The Wolfgang detractors ate their words and smiled after the kids thumping that night. He's got serious licks, has and is handling the background vocals better than, I think, anyone could have hoped for or expected.

After hearing some full tracks and the 15 second clips of the rest, I am completely and unbelievably blown away at what I've heard. Honestly, the heaviness of some it has come as a welcomed surprise. Leading off with Tattoo...say what you want, may have been the mistake of pure genius. First listen, I didnt care for it. But, like most...it grew on me and now I love it. The haters created an instant buzz of fan tension...tension which, created MORE interest in what else was to follow. Tattoo is released and then there is some time to let it all sink in....we dissected it! The lyrics, how great Dave sounds, Wolfgang, Eddie, synth filler, all of it....hell, that's what we do here...

Yesterday, we get to hear Blood and Fire and The Trouble with Never...both of which, I think, are far better works than Tattoo. The lyrics in Blood and Fire made my hair stand up...seriously...when Dave sang "Told ya I was comin' back...say ya missed me...say it like ya mean it" you all, like me, probably got a lump in your throat. That line, in and of it self, captured every feeling that I've harbored for this band since April 1, 1985. It alone, erased 28 years of anxiety, tension, hatred and most of all...simply waiting for exactly that to happen. It is, the single greatest statement of band unity that their could be...It says "THIS is Van Halen!"

Ed's solo on Blood and Fire...need I say more?
There wasn't much "Edward" on Tattoo...and then you hear that shredtastic piece in Blood and Fire...first thought, "Holy shit, Eddie...welcome the fuck back!"

The Trouble with Never...Wolfgang pounds through this tune. Any question of background vocals? Not anymore...they're there and they're good. Eddie...again...shreadalicious...

Daves vocals are spot on spectacular in every track I've heard...his lyrics so far...are the stuff on instant classics!

90 second clip of Chinatown....hello, McFly...anybody home...think McFly, think...Welcome, Mr. Alex Van Halen joined by his brother, The Crunch Master, Mr. Edward Van Halen...just 90 seconds of that song made my zipper swell...

I'm convinced on all fronts...

Are they back? Fuck yeah, they are...screamin like the locomotive on the cover!!

Will it be good? 4 full tracks heard out of 13....and there is no question!

Will it have that Classic VH sound? Buddy, it's got all that and then some!

The Wolfgang Factor? Exactly...what Wolfgang factor...

Bring on February 7th...VAN HALEN is fucking back!!

DavidLeeNatra
01-27-2012, 04:46 PM
amen, brother...amen...

mosh51501984
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
well said

DavidLeeNatra
01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
we came! we came! we came through blood and fire!!!

mdk1967
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Very, VERY well said, Ragu.
Personally, I could've given a rat's ass if ADKOT measures up to the 6-pack, Me Wise Magic or Can't Get This Stuff No More regardless of anything. Yes, Mikey is no longer a member of VH and we all miss him (nicest cat you'll ever want to meet) but what's most important to me is that DLR is where he belongs. Period. That's all that really matters.

"It's the difference between a single word: Sammy's a singer, David Lee's the singer." - David Lee Roth

guwapo_rocker
01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Great post Carmine. I have one point though.

I think there is a Wolfgang factor. A positive factor. I know what you mean though,

and you are right. I think he is proving to be an incredible bass player,

you can sure hear it on what we have heard so far. I mean how could he not be, look at his

pedigree :) I love how prominent the bass is in the mix now, my car practically bounced all

the way home tonight. And who knows what he may be bringing to the band behind the scenes.

DavidLeeNatra
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
no wolfgang no VH...period...

Dan
01-27-2012, 06:55 PM
...and don't say you didn't...We all "wondered".

Can they still do it?
Will it be good?
Will it have that Classic VH sound?
The Wolfgang factor...

Here's my "dont give a fuck what any other person on earth thinks" opinion...

The Cafe Wha? show...magical. No frills, no way to "make it sound better", just in your face Van Halen from start to finish and they fucking nailed it to the wall with a railroad spike!!! The Wolfgang detractors ate their words and smiled after the kids thumping that night. He's got serious licks, has and is handling the background vocals better than, I think, anyone could have hoped for or expected.

After hearing some full tracks and the 15 second clips of the rest, I am completely and unbelievably blown away at what I've heard. Honestly, the heaviness of some it has come as a welcomed surprise. Leading off with Tattoo...say what you want, may have been the mistake of pure genius. First listen, I didnt care for it. But, like most...it grew on me and now I love it. The haters created an instant buzz of fan tension...tension which, created MORE interest in what else was to follow. Tattoo is released and then there is some time to let it all sink in....we dissected it! The lyrics, how great Dave sounds, Wolfgang, Eddie, synth filler, all of it....hell, that's what we do here...

Yesterday, we get to hear Blood and Fire and The Trouble with Never...both of which, I think, are far better works than Tattoo. The lyrics in Blood and Fire made my hair stand up...seriously...when Dave sang "Told ya I was comin' back...say ya missed me...say it like ya mean it" you all, like me, probably got a lump in your throat. That line, in and of it self, captured every feeling that I've harbored for this band since April 1, 1985. It alone, erased 28 years of anxiety, tension, hatred and most of all...simply waiting for exactly that to happen. It is, the single greatest statement of band unity that their could be...It says "THIS is Van Halen!"

Ed's solo on Blood and Fire...need I say more?
There wasn't much "Edward" on Tattoo...and then you hear that shredtastic piece in Blood and Fire...first thought, "Holy shit, Eddie...welcome the fuck back!"

The Trouble with Never...Wolfgang pounds through this tune. Any question of background vocals? Not anymore...they're there and they're good. Eddie...again...shreadalicious...

Daves vocals are spot on spectacular in every track I've heard...his lyrics so far...are the stuff on instant classics!

90 second clip of Chinatown....hello, McFly...anybody home...think McFly, think...Welcome, Mr. Alex Van Halen joined by his brother, The Crunch Master, Mr. Edward Van Halen...just 90 seconds of that song made my zipper swell...

I'm convinced on all fronts...

Are they back? Fuck yeah, they are...screamin like the locomotive on the cover!!

Will it be good? 4 full tracks heard out of 13....and there is no question!

Will it have that Classic VH sound? Buddy, it's got all that and then some!

The Wolfgang Factor? Exactly...what Wolfgang factor...

Bring on February 7th...VAN HALEN is fucking back!!

Can We Clean-Up For The Big Man.:D

mdk1967
01-27-2012, 07:12 PM
no wolfgang no VH...period...

So true - people seem to be forgetting that or don't even know the story behind it.

So this is love
01-27-2012, 07:22 PM
So true - people seem to be forgetting that or don't even know the story behind it.

Pardon my ignorance, but did I miss something, whats the story?

JJtheVagPounder
01-27-2012, 07:27 PM

That Wolfgang is probably THE reason that we have Van Halen back.

neuralfraud
01-27-2012, 07:50 PM
EVERYTHING about this VH album hits like a tank flying down a mountain ON FIRE. I absolutely agree on all points. What 6 pack? this album is THE SEVENTH WONDER OF VAN HALEN!

But seven is an odd number.. like a pack of hotdogs... so there's got to be at least one more coming!

BITEYOASS
01-27-2012, 08:43 PM
=VH= had me at new album. :first:

JJtheVagPounder
01-27-2012, 08:55 PM
We could just add onto the liquor analogy. Like Six pack, forty, and a shot (Me Wise Magic and Can't Get this Stuff No More as the shot).

INeedYou
01-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I almost feel clairvoyant... Somewhere deep inside, I always felt like this would be how it all came around, ya know? All I had to really do was wait 'em out! Granted, that took a loooooong fuckin' time. But I knew that with this much talent, there's no way it wouldn't just kill! And annihilate may be more appropriate to describe this onslaught! I think EVH's insistence on bringing Wolfgang into the fold is pretty obvious... Not only family, but killer chops to boot. Wolfgang sounds damn essential to me already... Can't hear MA shredding some of these clips, so I'm all in! I've been tellin' my peeps for ages that this effort will knock the music industry off it's axis, and I haven't seen or heard anything to change my mind. Van Halen!

moose
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Great post Carmine
Great fuckin post!!!!!

ThatArtGuy
01-27-2012, 10:16 PM
EVERYTHING about this VH album hits like a tank flying down a mountain ON FIRE. I absolutely agree on all points. What 6 pack? this album is THE SEVENTH WONDER OF VAN HALEN!

But seven is an odd number.. like a pack of hotdogs... so there's got to be at least one more coming!

The reason for the extra hot dogs is if anyone wants one without a bun and/or for making zombie burgers.

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
The lyrics in Blood and Fire made my hair stand up...seriously...when Dave sang "Told ya I was comin' back...say ya missed me...say it like ya mean it" you all, like me, probably got a lump in your throat.!

No lump in my throat, tingles between my legs. That line is SEXXXXXXXY!

VanCanHalen
01-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Great fucking post, agree on all fronts, just sit back and let Van Halen kick your ass through a wall in 2012!

Angel
01-27-2012, 10:51 PM
we came! we came! we came through blood and fire!!!Is that a great fucking anthem for us or what, eh?! Imagine the entire Army singing that all at once!!! I agree that we can NEVER forget the influence of Wolf in all of this, and I also think he's about to blow the world away the same way his dad did in 78. I can guarantee you I won't be going pee during the bass solo this time (if I make a show). Well, maybe I will pee, just a little... you know, those "happy, excited puppy" pees. :beers8:

Sensible Shoes
01-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, maybe I will pee, just a little... you know, those "happy, excited puppy" pees. :beers8:

You better be wearing a pad!

fryingdutchman
01-27-2012, 11:21 PM

In a nutshell...

Following the 2004 debacle cash-grab shit-show with Spammy, Edward spiraled into a drug and alcohol-fueled funk that had him dressing like a homeless guy and drawing comparisons to the crypt-keeper.

Word is that Wolfgang confronted his dad, jammed his iPod in his ears, cranked up the Classic Van Halen and told him that this was what he needed to be doing...to save himself and the Van Halen legacy.

Wolfie apparently helped Edward re-learn all his old stuff by playing it over and over on his iPod.

There's more to the story I'm sure, but who knows how much is urban legend and how much is true.

But that is why it can confidently be stated that Wolfgang saved Classic Van Halen, and probably his father's life.

Panamark
01-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah !

Great post Carmine !

What if we were all asked "what do you want"

-Mikey waiting in the wings, Eddie shitfaced, Nothing ever happening, No Dave.

or

-Wolfgang convincing his dad to clean up, listen to his best work, get the band back
together, allow Mike to go and be with his soulmate, and even himself come along for the ride
promising to deliver his own goods for his old man....

I know what option I would have taken.

DONNIEP
01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Mikey who? I was one of the ones bitching the most about him not being in the band...and I'm not missing him one bit! Fuck it. Double-track Dave's vocals and that's all I need - if a little bit of Dave is good then a whole hell of a lot is even better!!

Carmine
01-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Agreed, Gang!!

Thank YOU, Wolfgang Van Halen for helping to bring us A Different Kind of Truth...from the Van Halen that we all remember!

Dan
01-28-2012, 04:43 PM
You better be wearing a pad!

How Very Rude.:D

vandeleur
01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Great post carmine .. You nailed it

smorgdonkey
01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
What if we were all asked "what do you want"

-Mikey waiting in the wings, Eddie shitfaced, Nothing ever happening, No Dave.

or

-Wolfgang convincing his dad to clean up, listen to his best work, get the band back
together, allow Mike to go and be with his soulmate, and even himself come along for the ride
promising to deliver his own goods for his old man....

I know what option I would have taken.

That's a big 'what if'.

IF Ed didn't screw Mike in the first place to get him out of the picture.

Ed has lied so much in the past that he is likely 'crediting' Wolfie with 'getting him back at it' just to deflect from the fact that people don't appreciate when someone stabs a friend in the back...and they don't find it acceptable for one of their heroes to stab a friend and protoge in the back either.

DLR Bridge
01-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Ed has lied so much in the past that he is likely 'crediting' Wolfie with 'getting him back at it' just to deflect from the fact that people don't appreciate when someone stabs a friend in the back...

I'll have whatever you're smoking. Come on man. Two sides to every story. All you know of is poor Mikey saying, "I found out I was out of the band same time everyone else did" or "I was just out there waving the Van Halen flag" with the Other Half (nothing separatist about that title). Ed has been no saint, but we have no way of knowing that an actual "back stabbing" took place. Ed wasn't crazy about Mike showing up at the Sam and Dave tour. The Other Half stint followed that.

Vinnie Velvet
01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll have whatever you're smoking. Come on man. Two sides to every story. All you know of is poor Mikey saying, "I found out I was out of the band same time everyone else did" or "I was just out there waving the Van Halen flag" with the Other Half (nothing separatist about that title). Ed has been no saint, but we have no way of knowing that an actual "back stabbing" took place. Ed wasn't crazy about Mike showing up at the Sam and Dave tour. The Other Half stint followed that.

Oh yes how could I forget the Other Half tour. So this is after the Spammy 2004 tour where at the end BOTH Mike and Sam were trashing Ed on what a mess he was and then those two name a tour calling themselves 'The Other Half' of VH.

And Mike is supposed to be surprised and hurt when Ed officially dumped him in 2006 for Wolf?
Whatever, bass player.

smorgdonkey
01-28-2012, 07:36 PM
I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Ed has been no saint, but we have no way of knowing that an actual "back stabbing" took place.
- When Dave departed in 1985, Ed had 3 stories released. Ed and all of the VH crew stab Dave constantly...including Ed's new singer.
- Ed has a huge scrap with Sammy and sammy is out. Ed slags him from here to hell and back.
- Ed blows up at the 1996 awards show and trashes the VH reunion at that time. He goes on to slag Dave all over again.
- Ed gets with Charone and swears to take up tuba if VH III doesn't sell. Well...
- Ed had the royalty structure altered to exclude Dave from getting his fair share of royalties from old recordings. Dave had to take that one to court to have it 'righted'.
- Ed gets Sammy back in the fold and is so steamed that Mike isn't hating Hagar like he does that he makes Mike sign a document that surrenders Mike's rights as a member of Van Halen in order for him to be on the tour.
- Ed claims that his doctor has cured cancer.
- Ed claims that his tongue cancer was from standing close to electrical equipment while having a metal pick in his mouth.

So...there's no smoking anything going on here. It all has to do with CREDIBILITY. If you read Dave's book, there is one thing that stands out - credibility. If you have followed Ed then there is one thing that has always been lacking - CREDIBILITY. That's no coincidence. Remember Ed said in a radio interview that Randy Rhoads stated in an interview that 'he learned all of his stuff from me(Ed)'. Randy never stated any such thing in any interview. Ed made stuff up all of the time whenever it suited him - moreso as he became rich and untouchable.

Credibility man. Ed's a liar...and every chance he gets to say "it isn't about the money - I just want to make music" he says it. So, why F with the royalties Ed? Why take legal action against a guitar with a striped paint job back in the early '80s? Why tour when you can hardly walk? Why jump from brand to brand whenever the price is right? Why put your brand name on everything from guitars to amps to pedals to SHOES? Why always have a legal team scouring the planet to try to scrape another dime up?

If you are blind to all of that - maybe you SHOULD have something to smoke...it's supposed to be good for the glaucoma.

DLR Bridge
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Ultra mega smart ass, I was refering to the Michael Anthony situation. As I said, Ed's no saint. Never has been. I know all about the shit Ed's slung through the years. And you know what? I don't give a shit about it. None of it. Bitching about other people's time wasting and money obsessions and moral wrong doings and substance abuse problems is an exercise in futility. Especially now. I love the music they've made before and I'm sure I'll love the music they've made right now. My advice to you is don't buy the CD and take up doing something better with your time. Writing a thesis on the many ways that Ed has disappointed you is just plain unproductive and fucking pointless.

POJO_Risin
01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Ed's a dickhead...anyone that's posted on this site in the past 12 years knows my feelings on that subject...

Mike absolutely got screwed over as well...anyone that says any fucking different is fooling themselves...but he picked his poison, and is out of the band....

...but last I knew, I didn't listen to any of the classic VH albums because of Edward's credibility...

sadaist
01-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Ed's a dickhead...

I still believe that. He could hand deliver the full Oakland '81 to every fan personally and I'd still think that. I'm happier than a pig in shit for whatever reason he is allowing what is happening now to happen. But as a person who isn't holding a guitar....fuck him. He has served up way more than his lifetime allotment of bullshit & grief. That shit isn't easily forgotten.

ELVIS
01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
- When Dave departed in 1985, Ed had 3 stories released. Ed and all of the VH crew stab Dave constantly...including Ed's new singer.
- Ed has a huge scrap with Sammy and sammy is out. Ed slags him from here to hell and back.
- Ed blows up at the 1996 awards show and trashes the VH reunion at that time. He goes on to slag Dave all over again.
- Ed gets with Charone and swears to take up tuba if VH III doesn't sell. Well...
- Ed had the royalty structure altered to exclude Dave from getting his fair share of royalties from old recordings. Dave had to take that one to court to have it 'righted'.
- Ed gets Sammy back in the fold and is so steamed that Mike isn't hating Hagar like he does that he makes Mike sign a document that surrenders Mike's rights as a member of Van Halen in order for him to be on the tour.
- Ed claims that his tongue cancer was from standing close to electrical equipment while having a metal pick in his mouth.

So...there's no smoking anything going on here. It all has to do with CREDIBILITY. If you read Dave's book, there is one thing that stands out - credibility. If you have followed Ed then there is one thing that has always been lacking - CREDIBILITY. That's no coincidence. Remember Ed said in a radio interview that Randy Rhoads stated in an interview that 'he learned all of his stuff from me(Ed)'. Randy never stated any such thing in any interview. Ed made stuff up all of the time whenever it suited him - moreso as he became rich and untouchable.

Credibility man. Ed's a liar...and every chance he gets to say "it isn't about the money - I just want to make music" he says it. So, why F with the royalties Ed? Why take legal action against a guitar with a striped paint job back in the early '80s? Why tour when you can hardly walk? Why jump from brand to brand whenever the price is right? Why put your brand name on everything from guitars to amps to pedals to SHOES? Why always have a legal team scouring the planet to try to scrape another dime up?

If you are blind to all of that - maybe you SHOULD have something to smoke...it's supposed to be good for the glaucoma.

I think I like this guy...

:biggrin:

Warham
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Dave's put a lot of the bullshit past him to get the guys back together, that much is true.

chi-town324
01-28-2012, 10:45 PM
playing with his kid is the only reason Ed is doing this in the first place...IMO

DLR Bridge
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Mike absolutely got screwed over as well...anyone that says any fucking different is fooling themselves.

...but last I knew, I didn't listen to any of the classic VH albums because of Edward's credibility...

You and I weren't there. Mike "loyal dog" Anthony couldn't possibly have sealed his own fate with anything he may have said or done? It's all Dickhead Ed's fault? I agree with your last sentence.

Warham
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Ed was just looking for any reason to get rid of Mike.

Once he hung out with Fagar down at Cabo, his fate was sealed.

Matt White
01-28-2012, 10:55 PM
EVH wanted to shitcan 'Ol Hot-sauce as far back as FAIR WARNING and replace him with Billy Sheehan......

We've all seen that unpublished interview where he rags Mike for "doing nothing" and basically leaching off the band....harsh stuff and that was flippin' 30+ years ago..................

And as I've told the Sheep who keep crying for him on the GUITAR WORLD FB page.....

I AIN'T NEVER BOUGHT A CD BECAUSE IT HAD GREAT "back-ground" VOCALS!!!!

FUCKING RETARDED BASTURDS!!!

K-tuna
01-28-2012, 11:33 PM

Fuck that anti -Ed noise.

Fat Anthony was never a great bass player as far i'm concerned ( all he can do is ride one riff for repetitive 8, 16 , 32 notes ) and he had to know that hanging with Paygar after such a spat would ruffle feathers.

I DO agree it was shitty move having him removed from the album covers and stuff....thats just a shitty move.

For every Anti-Ed story, I have a stack of guitar and music mags with good stories about Ed. The guy fell off the rails for a bit. You go through a prolonged bout of shit for so long--- Hip replacement, Cancer, VAN HALEN III , Divorce...you name it, its gotta get to you at some point. (and i 'm very aware some of these things were probably results of Eds drinking and smoking.)

What shoulda happened A LONG time ago, if Slammy was so concerned, if Mike was so concerned, is say " hey Ed get yourself some help before I kick your ass, and I don't give a fuck about the money....we've made enough, get some real help."

But I suspect some folks didn't want to upset the apple cart for as long as possible.

Im absolutely finding probable to think that Wolfie probably did try to get Ed to realize he hit bottom. The proof is how healthy Ed looks and his abiility to actually try to get along with Roth again, and Tour and a new album.

and that shit about him and his lawsuits for brand and trademarks are rediculous...of course Ed would protect his stripes design and logo and VH is Brand. NOTHING wrong or evil about protecting it.

K-tuna
01-28-2012, 11:34 PM
sorry ...double post.

DavidLeeNatra
01-29-2012, 03:50 AM
leave the kiddo here, Teen-Wolf seems to be a good boy so far...but TAFKAB (the asshole formerly known as bassplayer) is a spineless wonder (as his best bud Osammy bin Hagar called him in his unauthorized bio)...without a guitar in his hand Ed is a crappy human being, his siter Alex(is) is a triple weakling and a fucking cunt and Dave is a hyperactive pain in the ass who thinks that all the world revolves around him...

this band had more ego-problems than a bunch of midgets in the locker room of a basketball team...so what...?

smorgdonkey
01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
My advice to you is don't buy the CD and take up doing something better with your time.
I probably won't buy the cd. What time? The few minutes to write a few posts? Nobody has a couple of extra minutes here and there to burn?

Writing a thesis on the many ways that Ed has disappointed you is just plain unproductive and fucking pointless.
That was no thesis. That was just a little look back as it seems like everyone has forgotten. Ed will be laughing his aas off making your money on this one and he'll still be shitty. It has nothing to do with being disappointed in him. It has everything to do with not supporting a shitty person regardless of how good he has been as a guitar player. I don't admire Hitler because he was a great organizer.

Mike absolutely got screwed over as well...anyone that says any fucking different is fooling themselves...but he picked his poison, and is out of the band....
I still don't see how Mike 'picked'. Ed was not doing anything related to music so Mike played bass for Hagis. What's the big deal? Oh yeah..."if you don't hate who I hate then you're out" sincerely EVH.

That's true, but prior to the 6th record, Ed hadn't reared his ugly head. It took Dave doing a solo project while Ed was going to play the rich guy for a while to get Ed going. Ed couldn't stand that Dave could have the spotlight like he did without him - otherwise Ed would have remained on hiatus for another 6 months easy.

One more thing about Mike: When Ed first saw Mike in a band he was asking if he was a guitar player. Ed had Mike play simply and there are many rumours that say Ed specifically wrote the bass parts as a contrast to his own guitar parts - still more that Ed actually played bass on some tracks on records. Mike would do whatever Ed wanted and that crap about Ed wanting Sheehan was nothing more than Ed admiring the guy's talent. He wouldn't have actually wanted Sheehan there because it would be too much light away from his own spotlight.

chi-town324
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
i heard Ed played all the bass tracks after WCF..i mean all of em

hain23x
01-29-2012, 09:27 PM
uh, Eddie has a been a drunk since he was a teenager. What drunk ever does or says the right thing?

He seems to be doing pretty good right now.

devildawg
01-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I sure hope this tour kicks ass along the new album. Having heard VH back in 1981 for the first time ( I was 10 years old and my older stepbrother put the CASSETTE into the tape deck and we listened to VH 1 for 8 hours up HWY 5 from Disneyland going home). Holy shit who is this band and what is that??? (Eruption)

I was 13 yrs old when 1984 came out. I got pretty good at playing my drums to Hot For Teacher w/ the stereo cranked all the way up!!

The new album to me is missing some ingredients. 1) The arena echo as if you were hearing them live 2) Eddie's guitar coming out the right side with the echo on the left. 3) Ted Templeman as producer along with Don Landee & yes, M. Anthony's harmonies.

When 5150 came out it was too polished of a sound, the guitar sounded different and the music became too gay. Being 15, I got to see VH live at the SF Cow Palace. All I can remember is how fucking loud the music was, Alex's bass drums shook the floor, BTO was the opening band, it was Halloween (pumpkins on the stage and lit) woman wearing not alot, and the "smoke" from the center of the arena kept getting thicker as the show went on (thats why I cant remember!) & last but not least, after the concert some tall blonde dude handed me a flyer with 4 guys dressed as women with the name POISON on the flyer (it was Ricki Rockett).

So for those of us DLR/VH fans who were there, yet missed seeing Dave on tour by an album.

WE ARE SHITTING OURSELVES WITH EXCITEMENT & YET SOME TREPIDATION!!

Don

smorgdonkey
01-30-2012, 01:41 PM
When 5150 came out it was too polished of a sound, the guitar sounded different and the music became too gay.

It was those lyrics man...Haggis just wrote corny lyrics. 5150 was also lacking the signature vocal sound that was always like the party starter pistol. Instead, there was this ballad voice and someone trying to act like they were in the band for years.