X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Bands who made the most from the least

Sitting here trying to think of bands or musicians that have milked the very most from the very least. Saw a poster for Peter Frampton and it started making me think. That motherfucker has milked ONE album for an entire successful career. If not for 'Frampton Comes Alive' he would be a minor footnote to 70's rock and no one would even remember him (or maybe never even heard of him in the first place).

Don't get me wrong. I totally dig that album. But that's it. That's his career summed up on 1 piece of 2-sided vinyl. It's the only thing played on the radio & the only things he plays live. Still touring and selling tickets and making a living. Everyone knows those tunes.

I say Peter Frampton has milked that 1 album more than any other artist has milked a song or album before (or probably ever will).

What others have milked 1 song, album, event, etc... as badly to make an entire career from it? Are there any others that even come close to Frampton?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • Yount
    Commando
    • Jan 2012

Billy Thorpe (R.I.P.) with Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy)

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Maybe Quiet Riot with Metal Health? Hard for me to say for sure cause I did like some of their other stuff. But not nearly the same ballpark as Frampton.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

OOOH I KNOW!

Golden Earring

Fuckers have 2 songs that everyone know. And that is it. Although they are both great tunes, but still qualifies them. Although they didn't really stretch out a long career from it.

Comment

• mohican
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2011

Jimmy Buffett. He built an empire from Margaritaville.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by mohican
            Jimmy Buffett. He built an empire from Margaritaville.

Oh fuck. Good call.

Comment

• mohican
              Head Fluffer
              • Jul 2011

Bee Gees - saturday night fever soundtrack

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Sex Pistols still tour every few years or so, and to date have only released one studio album (in 1977)

But it's a damn good album.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                  Billy Thorpe (R.I.P.) with Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy)
                  Actually the only Billy Thorpe song that ever went anywhere in the States was "Children of the Sun".

KISW used to play that song so goddamn much, I got sick of it.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• mohican
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2011

Top on this list is Bon Jovi for me. I know some will disagree. They have 2 catchy songs from Slippery When Wet.

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      The Sex Pistols still tour every few years or so, and to date have only released one studio album (in 1977)

But it's a damn good album.

Ah. A terrific example. An entire career from 1 album. that's crazy! Might be worse then Frampton. At least he's done some other stuff....even though no one has heard it.

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Doesn't have to be music. Look at JD Salinger. Fucker wrote Catcher In The Rye & lived as a recluse the rest of his life. yeah he wrote a couple other books, but no one really knows of them in comparison. One hugely popular book and done.

Comment

• CoffeeJunkie
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Jan 2012

Not really the Rock Genre, but didn't Modern English release "I Melt With You" like 3 times and had a hit each time?

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Frampton's next album after his live record "I'm In You" was a decent seller, from what I remember. Still have that one on vinyl, I think. Lots of guest appearances from Mick Jagger, Stevie Wonder and others.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by CoffeeJunkie
                              Not really the Rock Genre, but didn't Modern English release "I Melt With You" like 3 times and had a hit each time?
                              I know they released it at least twice, but the second version pretty much sucked. Don't even know why they bothered re-recording it.

Of course now that the song has been used in a half dozen different commercials from Burger King to Taco Hell to Hershey's fucking chocolate, I can't stand to hear it any more at all.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...