PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "Bullethead" review thread

Seshmeister
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZOZzoBS1eEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZOZzoBS1eEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

conmee
01-31-2012, 02:53 AM
Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hydrant....

That is all.

Icon™©®

hain23x
01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hydrant....

I worked with a guy once who was an equal at the time and said that quote to me. Kind of an asshole type guy. Flash ahead a few months later and he became my boss. so I dug a tunnel out of there and when I turned my 2 week notice into him I said the quote back to him.

Little Texan
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't know if it's the fact I'm listening to this song on computer speakers, but this one is the biggest letdown to me. Something isn't right about it, isn't mixed right, vocals too high and guitar a little subdued sounding, or maybe that it's not in the brown sound tone, new lyrics and vocal delivery...I don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem to have the same bite of the original.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Official clip....

SNIPER
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Now although I do not play in a cover band, in fact I play in a thrash metal band we ARE gonna re-make this song and go into it in middle of one of our tunes. We started working on it last night. Gonna be killer!!! We are opening for 3 Inches of Blood next month and plan on doing it then. I will get a vid of it up here. Hopefully we do it justice. You all can be the judge of that.

Combat Ready
02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
"My Karma just ran over your Dogma".....

Only Dave. Fucking love it!

Momshell
02-08-2012, 05:36 AM
"My Karma just ran over your Dogma".....

Only Dave. Fucking love it!

My favorite line too....that's not just 'creative' or 'clever'....that's fuckin' genius!!! Love ya Dave!

ashstralia
02-08-2012, 05:44 AM
at the moment, 'bullethead' is not among my faves; that'll change though.

the popular variant of the dog/hydrant analogy here is 'sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pidgeon'.

ELVIS
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
And sometimes a song is better left on the cutting room floor...

The jamming in this song is nice, but Dave sounds like he made those silly lyrics up on the spot...

What does the lyric "A Different Kind Of Truth" have to do with driving, bombing the moon, driving in traffic or anything ??

The first line is cool, but it's lame for a 56 year old Roth who usually has interesting lyrics...

Cringe...

:elvis:

SNIPER
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
"True"

DlocRoth
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM

The jamming in this song is nice, but Dave sounds like he made those silly lyrics up on the spot...

What does the lyric "A Different Kind Of Truth" have to do with driving, bombing the moon, driving in traffic or anything ??

The first line is cool, but it's lame for a 56 year old Roth who usually has interesting lyrics...

Cringe...

Stay frost, E.

Seshmeister
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
It's just one of those songs where he sticks in all the one liners he has come up with/picked up.

Like the line on YFLM 'In God we trust, everybody else pays cash' these are only cool if you haven't heard them before.

ELVIS
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but Dogtown Shuffle has some thought put into the lyrics...

ELVIS
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Stay frost, E.

I spent all my thanks...

Seshmeister
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but Dogtown Shuffle has some thought put into the lyrics...

Does he not forget and keep slipping from first to second person?

To be honest I don't pay a huge amount of attention to lyrics.

ELVIS
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't either, but these are not good...

DLR Bridge
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I've seen the dogma-karma line on a bumper sticker once. Dave's writing is a culmination of originality and lines or catch phrases he's seen and heard elsewhere. He didn't coin the phrase, "the light at the end of the tunnel is the front of an on coming train" that he used in Perfect Timing, however, his "due to budget constraints" amendment in Bullethead is great.

ThrillsNSpills
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Cringe...

You take it as face value, could be metaphorical.
This is from a guy that encourages people to get the fuck out of the comfort zone because that's where the rewards are.
So when I hear a lyric like "if everything's coming your way then you're going the wrong way" I take it differently than someone driving into traffic. But your milage may vary.

rocking ron
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
For me it's one of the weakest songs on the album!!

LW-Viper
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
you really drive this way to piss me off.....:)

this is great...

ELVIS
02-15-2012, 07:31 AM
No, it's silly...

Yount
02-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Bullethead is about Dave's cock, duh.

So this is love
02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Bullethead is my least favorite on the album ...

ELVIS
02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Bullethead is about Dave's cock, duh.

Maybe in your mind...

Yount
02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Maybe in your mind...

I was being facetious, you dill.

DLR Bridge
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
"Boldly going nowhere" what a great oxymoron.

Anybody know the words to the original Bullethead? After decades of listening to that without understanding about 90% of what Dave's saying, I'm now curious to know if any of the lines are even similar in theme to the new version.

78/84 guy
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
For me it's one of the weakest songs on the album!!

Well I still love it. It doesnt have the energy of 1977 but i'm happy it made the album. It's still a cool simple tune. Dave does a good job on it for his age.

Little Texan
02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Well I still love it. It doesnt have the energy of 1977 but i'm happy it made the album. It's still a cool simple tune. Dave does a good job on it for his age.

It would've been alot better if it was mixed right. Dave's vocals are too high in the mix and Ed's guitar is too low, and the production sounds really muddy on this one.

SunisinuS
02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
You take it as face value, could be metaphorical.
This is from a guy that encourages people to get the fuck out of the comfort zone because that's where the rewards are.
So when I hear a lyric like "if everything's coming your way then you're going the wrong way" I take it differently than someone driving into traffic. But your milage may vary.

You are exactly right.

I figured out the lyrics (for Me anyway): "If everyone is coming your way, you're facing the wrong way"-----How does a hitchhiker stand and which way do they face?

For me it is an updated version of "Running with the Devil".

If you think about hitchhiking all the way through the lyrics....it makes more sense to me.

Going slowly....how many roads must a man walk down.....ect. It is about exploring the world more slowly....and going your own way.

I think it is a kick-ass song.

Angel
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
I love Bullethead. Haven't had a chance to read freaking lyrics yet, so I'm still grasping a little bit at a time. At first I thought it was "bite a bullet" not "bomb the moon". I really don't think the lyrics on this album can be taken at face value. Then again, it could be that I'm just thinking way too much thanks to academia. To me, Bullethead slams Sammy. We'll see if I still feel that way once I get to really sit down and analyze this sucker.

SunisinuS
02-18-2012, 01:56 AM
And you might ask yourself, if you hate "Bullethead" where the title of the album came from:

chi-town324
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
heard bullethead on XM BONEYARD channel today....pretty cool! DJ was really talking up the CD and tour

Polk High
03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I used to just skip this song, but it isn't bad. now i actually like it, I also didn't like trouble with never at first either

gbranton
03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Has anyone noticed at the end of the song it sounds like someone is making a car screeching noise with their mouth? "Rrrrrrtt!" Or is it just my imagination (runnin away with me)?

Almost like Gene and Paul in the background of the "Destroyer" version of "Detroit Rock City".

DONNIEP
03-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Has anyone noticed at the end of the song it sounds like someone is making a car screeching noise with their mouth? "Rrrrrrtt!" Or is it just my imagination (runnin away with me)?

Almost like Gene and Paul in the background of the "Destroyer" version of "Detroit Rock City".

Yeah, that's Dave. The spoken part of this soung sounds like he could have recorded it back in the day - I'm sure he didn't but it sounds like the old Dave. Especially when he drags out the words "I'm a bullethead..."

minkahed
03-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Geez, I fuckin' love this tune. Totally kick ass !!!

When I first heard it, lyrically, I too, thought it might be about that fat guy in chickendick ...

devildawg
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Ok, quick question . Anyone else catch Dave's lyrics on Bullethead???

What is he saying??

"Stop driving a Dodge, start driving a Hybrid"
OR
"Some days you're the dog, Some days you're the hydrant."

Don

sadaist
03-28-2012, 12:55 AM

What is he saying??

OR

Don

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

It's "Some days you're the dog, Some days you're the hydrant."

*but your misheard line is pretty funny. Great for an election year ;)

sadaist
03-28-2012, 12:57 AM
The slow bluesy part of this song.....motherfuck! I swear it sounds like Dave circa 1979. I haven't heard his voice quite like that in a long, long time. So damn cool. One of my favorite spots of the whole album right there.

Well Ima bulletheeeaaaaad......hurt me!

tjvhou812
03-28-2012, 04:20 AM
some days people piss all over you, and some days you piss on people. i like being the dog:)

Carmine
03-28-2012, 05:08 AM
The slow bluesy part of this song.....motherfuck! I swear it sounds like Dave circa 1979. I haven't heard his voice quite like that in a long, long time. So damn cool. One of my favorite spots of the whole album right there.

Well Ima bulletheeeaaaaad......hurt me!

That's my favorite part of the song...."Well, Ima Bulletheeeaaaaad", followed by Edwards screeching...the first one...fuckin Van Halen

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 05:39 AM

What is he saying??

OR

Don

Now THAT'S funny....

If you listen closely after the line you can hear a dog howl....probably Russell.

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 05:42 AM
some days people piss all over you, and some days you piss on people. i like being the dog:)

Better to be pissed off....than pissed on.

DLR Bridge
03-28-2012, 05:59 AM
I love that line. I wonder if it's a Dave original or something he picked up somewhere. Reminds me, in meaning, a little of "somedays your'e the windshield, somedays you're the bug" by Dire Straits.

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 06:57 AM
This misheard lyric from ADKOT might even be funnier than the dude who thought "Casablanca gin joint" was "Casablanca ding doink" in "She's The Woman."

Zing!
03-28-2012, 07:31 AM
I've got a perpetual mis-heard lyric in the first line of Stay Frosty. I can't sing along to it even with the booklet of Dave's lyrics in front of me. A real tongue twister about arms being too short to box - trouble is, it doesn't sound like English to me, so I never know WHAT he's saying. As for Bullethead, damn is that tune ever fun to sing along to - although I have to give one of my patented Dave screams over the '...piss me off' part so the kids don't hear it. Sure, I could probably turn down the volume, but it's so much more fun to belt out a healthy scream at top volume. Therapeutic, I think.

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I've got a perpetual mis-heard lyric in the first line of Stay Frosty. I can't sing along to it even with the booklet of Dave's lyrics in front of me. A real tongue twister about arms being too short to box - trouble is, it doesn't sound like English to me, so I never know WHAT he's saying. As for Bullethead, damn is that tune ever fun to sing along to - although I have to give one of my patented Dave screams over the '...piss me off' part so the kids don't hear it. Sure, I could probably turn down the volume, but it's so much more fun to belt out a healthy scream at top volume. Therapeutic, I think.

"Your arms are too short to box with God" is a pretty old saying. I think it was even a musical on (or possibly off) Broadway at one point in the past.

I've given up trying to edit any music. My kids are allowed to say "piss me off"...as long as they're singing it!

But the original 7 dirty words are still banned.....

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/84/MPW-42247

DLR Bridge
03-28-2012, 08:35 AM
This misheard lyric from ADKOT might even be funnier than the dude who thought "Casablanca gin joint" was "Casablanca ding doink" in "She's The Woman."

I remember when you cleared that up for said dude. That was funny. I think I've stuck with singing ding doink to that part of the song ever since.

DLR Bridge
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM
I have to give one of my patented Dave screams over the '...piss me off' part so the kids don't hear it. Sure, I could probably turn down the volume, but it's so much more fun to belt out a healthy scream at top volume. Therapeutic, I think.

I usually let out an abrupt cough or a hearty Hank Kingsley "HEY NOWWwwwwww"

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
I remember when you cleared that up for said dude. That was funny. I think I've stuck with singing ding doink to that part of the song ever since.

I told my kids about it, and to this day they still sing "ding doink" because it makes them giggle....

In fact, we've incorporated it into our everyday language when one of of us does something stupid; as in "way to go, ding doink!"

DLR Bridge
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
That's a good use for it. Wouldn't work as well in traffic. "Hey! Why don't ya watch where you're going ya ding doink!!"

Catfish
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM

You make me feel like a bad father. I never steer around curses in songs when Little Catfish is listening. I just pretend it doesn't mean anything and hope he doesn't notice.

Like one of his current favorite songs, 'More Human than Human,' (primarily because it's the song played during the trailer of the upcoming Disney movie "Planes") when the chick is orgasming, I'm waiting for him to ask what that is so I can tell him she's getting ready to sneeze.

Seshmeister
03-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow!

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4568961_catfish-mate.html

How Do Catfish Mate?

Mating conditions
Spring is the catfish mating season. The catfish do their best mating in warm water. Eggs hatch in about a week. The best mating conditions occur when the females are six years old, and weigh more than three pounds. An eight pound female has the capacity to lay thousands of eggs. Generally, water temperature and the age of the female fish are the primary determinants for mating successfully.

Common breeding styles
The type of insemination that is most common tends to be internal. However, the male catfish may place his sperm in the oral cavity of the female catfish, and she may also allow the sperm to pass into her digestive system.

Nurturing
Catfish mate and take care of their young. They do not leave the eggs unattended unless they have hidden the eggs under rocks. Males often carry the eggs in his mouth until they hatch, and even carry the hatchlings in his mouth until they are mature enough to venture out.

SunisinuS
03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
That's a good use for it. Wouldn't work as well in traffic. "Hey! Why don't ya watch where you're going ya ding doink!!"

It would if you were my size. And I got them cRazY eYes.

sadaist
05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Need a little help.

"I'm a lemon on the lawn baby....

Well I'm a bullethead

come-ah come-ah come-ah come-ah baby

Well I'm a bullethead

Hurt me!"

Can't be right.

Angel
05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Well I'm a lovin' the horn, baby

sadaist
05-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Well I'm a lovin' the horn, baby

HAHA! Thanks Angel. That makes a ton more sense than being a lemon on the lawn. But with Dave....ya just never know.

Angel
05-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I cheated. Looked it up, it was driving me nuts and work was slow. :D

Yount
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
boldly going nowhere :rolleyes: