PDA

View Full Version : Mittens Romney baptized his dead atheist father in law into the Mormon church

FORD
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Mitt Romney's family baptized Ann Romney's atheist father into Mormon church a year AFTER his death

By Meghan Keneally

Last updated at 10:40 PM on 28th January 2012

More questions are being raised about presidential candidate Mitt Romney's religion after it was revealed that he helped baptize his adamantly atheist father-in-law years after the man had died.

Edward Roderick Davies was Ann Romney's father and died in 1992 after living as a staunch atheist all his life.

Recently-discovered records show that, in keeping with their controversial tradition of posthumously baptizing non-Mormons, a ceremony was held to invite Mr Davies into the Church of Latter Day Saints one year after he died.

Devout: Mitt Romney's Mormon faith has been a point of contention among the Republican party's many conservative Christian supporters who have issues with the religion and
Mitt Romney's father George took an active role in converting Ann to Mormonism when she was a teenager

The practice of performing baptisms for the dead has drawn criticism after the Mormon church began doing so for well-known Catholics- including former popes- and Jews- including Holocaust survivors.

According to the religion's official website, the baptisms are seen as a way to offer those souls an option of joining the Church even once they have died. A key point is that it is seen as an option- as the souls are believed to have the ability to either accept or reject the baptism.

Mitt's wife Ann converted to Mormonism when she was 17 years old, shortly after she had started dating her husband-to-be.

Because Mitt was in France doing his missionary work at the time, his father George Romney helped usher Ann into the religion and arranged for missionaries to teach her about the faith.
Edward Davies was a staunch atheist and believed organized religions to be 'hogwash'

Shortly after Ann converted, her two brothers followed suit and converted as well.

Mr Davies died in 1992 and his wife died a year later. When she was on her deathbed, however, she asked her sons to help her convert to Mormonism, and she was baptized just before she died.

Unlike his wife, Mr Davies had no such last-minute requests for religious salvation.

He remained true to his convictions and considered organized religion 'drudgery' and 'hogwash'.

Ann's brother Roderick is quoted as saying that their father 'considered people who were religious to be weak in the knees'.

His well-known distaste for religion didn't stop members of his family from baptizing him by proxy a year after he died, however.

The proxy baptisms are typically done with a member of the dead subject's family standing in for them at the ceremony and going through the actions on the deceased person's behalf.

Because all three of Mr Davies' children had been long-time members of the religion at that point, any of them could have been the proxy.

Little else is known about the specifics of the 'special family meeting' which resulted in Mr Davies' baptism, except that it took place in the famed Salt Lake Temple in Utah on September 13, 1993. Whether or not Mitt Romney was present is unknown, but it seems likely that his wife Ann certainly was.

The Romney family's pride in converting members of the Davies family to their religion is well-documented.

When Mitt was disheartened after having a difficult time converting the French to Mormonism while he was doing his missionary work, his father George wrote him a letter saying that their work with the Davies family was more important anyhow.

'I was thrilled to stand in for you in connection with (Ann's brother) Jim's baptism,' the elder Mr Romney wrote on March 6, 1967.

'This makes two converts here that are certainly yours so don't worry about your difficulty in converting those Frenchmen!

'I am sure you can appreciate that Ann and Jim are each worth a dozen of them, at least to us.'

Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093241/Mitt-Romneys-family-baptized-Ann-Romneys-atheist-father-Mormon-church-year-AFTER-death.html)

kwame k
01-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Bizarre.....but ever heard of Opus Dei or what some of the other cults do or say;)

Baptize someone after they're dead and not even a member of your faith:headlights:

FORD
01-31-2012, 01:07 AM
I believe Santorum is a member of Opus Dei. And Ron Paul worships Ayn Rand, which means there are three loony cult members running, along with Gingrich who's not a cultist, just a corrupt serial adultering asshole.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 01:10 AM
All going against a Super Secret Muslim Black President, too!

The BCE is really weirder than I imagined, bro;)

Nitro Express
01-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Bizarre.....but ever heard of Opus Dei or what some of the other cults do or say;)

Baptize someone after they're dead and not even a member of your faith:headlights:

Mormons have the arrogant belief that they have the full restored gosphel and everyone else in the world is wrong. They also believe you have to be physically baptized in this life to advance in the next life. So they baptize dead people by proxy and believe some of those people will accept the baptism and move on.

In reality it's just an excuse to keep the membership busy going to the temple and to get into the temple you have to pay 10% of your gross income to the church and and kiss their ass and do what they tell you to do. Then you can go, dead dunk a few names of some dead people to make yourself feel good and get the pestering church leaders off your ass because all they do is put pressure on the members to go to the temple. In other words you need a reason for people to go to this place so you can take their money and boss them around and saving all the dead people who ever have lived should keep the sheeple and useful idiots busy for a few years.

Nitro Express
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM
I believe Santorum is a member of Opus Dei. And Ron Paul worships Ayn Rand, which means there are three loony cult members running, along with Gingrich who's not a cultist, just a corrupt serial adultering asshole.

Newt is a member of the Bohemian Club. So he dresses in a robe and cremates Care in front of a giant stone owl named Moloch.

But then of course whenever you have a band of people who think they are better than everyone else because they are more special, weird shit always goes on motivated by the urge to belong and be somebody.

Warham
01-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Mitt being a Mormon is a non-starter for me, just like Obama sitting in Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years. As long as it doesn't affect his policy decisions, I don't care who he baptizes in a casket.

Seshmeister
01-31-2012, 07:38 AM
The thing is he didn't baptize his father in law, he didn't do anything to him because he was already dead.

You have to realise that an atheist just thinks that one more religion is baloney than a believer does.

All of the atheists I know who have died have been given Christian funerals, I don't see any difference between that and this Mormon silliness.

In fact they were even less appropriate than this because the corpse was there at the service.

sadaist
01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Mitt being a Mormon is a non-starter for me, just like Obama sitting in Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years. As long as it doesn't affect his policy decisions, I don't care who he baptizes in a casket.

Yeah, same here This country is in the middle of a clusterfuck & I can't honestly say who I think can even begin to get us out of it. Dem or Repub. We in big trouble fellas.

Listening to George Norry every night probably doesn't help. But God damn if it isn't entertaining.

Seshmeister
01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Newt is a member of the Bohemian Club. So he dresses in a robe and cremates Care in front of a giant stone owl named Moloch.

But then of course whenever you have a band of people who think they are better than everyone else because they are more special, weird shit always goes on motivated by the urge to belong and be somebody.

Kids having fun even if it's by acting like dickheads is not a belief system.

Especially when it was 50 years ago.

Nitro Express
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Most people don't choose their religion they are born into it. Then the family and social aspect makes it even more complicated. There are people who would leave the church but it would make their family disown them. You sometimes can lose your job. Your spouse might not be happy. But then the religious leaders set the system up so family and social pressure keeps it going. Don't think these religious leaders are idiots, they put together some pretty sophisticated social control systems.

John F. Kennedy had to go through the same shit because he was catholic. People were saying the pope would be controlling the white house if he got in. Of course those fears were unfounded.

Nitro Express
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Kids having fun even if it's by acting like dickheads is not a belief system.

Especially when it was 50 years ago.

The Bohemian Club is not a college club. It's like Rotary International on steroids. You have to have a lot of money to be a member. Skull and Bones is a college club but I don't think Newt was ever a member of that one. Bush was. Of course Dave Packard was also a Bohemian Club member and ran one of the best corporations to work for when he had controlling interest the the company. The company went to shit when he died and the family sold the shares. We always hear about the scum bags but sadly the good ones never get any attention.

But then you can be dragged off to church by your parents or spouse and not believe that as well. It's complicated.

Nitro Express
01-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, same here This country is in the middle of a clusterfuck & I can't honestly say who I think can even begin to get us out of it. Dem or Repub. We in big trouble fellas.

Listening to George Norry every night probably doesn't help. But God damn if it isn't entertaining.

You will get yourself out of trouble. The system is crumbling. The financial system is no longer with reality and the political system is so full of corruption it no longer works. Take a trip around the world. The world is full of ruins of once fabulous civilizations that fell apart. The system sucks and we need to stop enabling it. If people were smart they would just refuse to trade the funny money these central banks create. It's the biggest ponzi scheme going. The financial institutions would lose all their power if people just stopped using their money which in reality is nothing. Much like how Gandhi told the people of India not to buy their textiles from the British and make their own. The biggest lie going is people actually think we need these losers. Be proactive and no reactive. The people who just sit around wondering if the politicians are going to fix anything are pathetic.

Satan
01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Mitt really wasted a lot of time baptizing his dead father in law.

The man was an atheist. That guarantees that he gets the Hellavator ride the minute he checked out of Earth, and once you're here, you're a permanent resident. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d010.gif

Seshmeister
01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
It's an amazing coincidence that baseless idea was made up and is still propagated by the same people who end up with the power, money and privilege if they can frighten you enough to believe them.

bueno bob
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did God tell all those other assholes to run for President if He knew they weren't going to win?

My guess is amusement value.

Jesus Christ
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did God tell all those other assholes to run for President if He knew they weren't going to win?

My guess is amusement value.

Dad likes a good practical joke once in a while, just like everyone else. Look at some of the things He's told Pat Robertson over the years! :jesuslol:

Seshmeister
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/426964_10151202152230557_722410556_22926971_201375 8629_n.jpg

FORD
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
What if you love Bacon AND Hummus?

Sensible Shoes
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
The mormans have the largest genealogical library in the world. It's housed in Salt lake and has branches all over the country where you can order CDs or microfiche ( it isn't all transferred yet) Supposedly the idea is to get all the people in your family tree converted posthumously to Mormanism so you can show a direct line back to the founder (Joseph Smith?) So it isn't just recently deceased relatives, it's anybody on the family tree who didn't see the light.

Seshmeister
02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
What if you love Bacon AND Hummus?

Follow the flow chart. If you like bacon you hummus doesn't come into it.

ELVIS
02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Hummers is spelled wrong...