PDA

View Full Version : Fox News on top: Cable net celebrates 10 years at #1 in ratings

Jagermeister
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/fox-news-top-cable-net-celebrates-10-years-145314917.html

Last fall, Fox News celebrated its 15th anniversary with a lavish party in New York. Fox News president Roger Ailes, who launched the channel in 1996, toasted 700 or so staffers that night, telling them, "Losing is highly overrated as a learning experience."

On Tuesday afternoon, when Nielsen releases its final ratings for the month of January, the "fair and balanced" network will mark an arguably more important milestone: 10 consecutive years at the top of the cable news rankings.

Yahoo News recently spoke will Bill Shine, Fox News Channel's EVP of programming, about the significance of the achievement, the state of cable news, and how the cable network has managed to sustain its pole position while defending Fox from its fervent critics, including Jon Stewart.

Yahoo News: So, are you going to frame the Nielsen report?

Shine: No, no. We don't do a lot of that around here. We may pat each other on the back, but the news goes on. We'll keep it rolling.

What's been the key to maintaining your no. 1 position in cable news?

A couple of things. Roger's leadership. He had the idea, he launched the network, he hired the talent. So it's been Roger, Roger's vision. Over the years we've gained the trust of the American people. And Roger picked good people, not just on-air, but the producers and everyone behind the scenes who have contributed to our success.

What would you say is the best strategic move the network has made over the last 10 years?

I don't know if I could single out one thing. What happened was—keep in mind, over the course of those 10 years, a lot of news has happened. You had an impeachment, the 2000 election, Bush-Gore, of course 9/11, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Middle East, hurricanes, Katrina, the D.C. sniper, natural disasters, politics. So there's been a lot of news. Then, what you had happen was, those viewers who came in for the big story stayed to sample our programming. More and more of those people stayed. At the same time, we had a lot of people talking about us, on talk radio and in the news media, the media press, talking about what we do. So it was also about us getting recognized for what we were doing.

Worst move/biggest mistake? There has to be one.

Hmm. That's a great question. [Pause.] I'm not dodging you, but I'd have to think about it. Ask me some other questions and I'll think about it. Everybody makes mistakes. You spend your whole day trying to avoid them, and then own up to them when you do make them.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about an on-air mistake. I'm talking strategically.

Yeah, not like [the time] we spelled Obama's name wrong.
Right.

Well, here's something: Very, very early on, it did take a couple of years to figure out who we were. We used to have this segment called "Fox On" where it would be 10 or 15 or 20 minute blocks of "Fox On Sports," or "Fox On Art." And then we'd have to interrupt "Fox On Art" to carry a White House briefing. Hindsight being 20/20, that was a pretty bad idea.

Then, of course, Bill O'Reilly. When we first hired Bill, he was on at 6. It was a few years before Roger said, you know, we should put this guy on at 8, in primetime.

What do you look for when you are courting on-air talent?

The main thing you want to know if they are smart, if they're entertaining, if they're intelligent, if they have a natural curiosity about the world. If that comes through in an interview, then it should come through on television. Roger always tells us, "Watch TV with the sound down. If you have the urge to turn the sound up, to hear what they're saying, that's someone you want to hire."

According to a recent poll, Fox News is the most-trusted name news network. But according to the same poll, it's also the least-trusted. When you see polls like that, what is your reaction? You obviously have a core of people who trust you, and a core of people who don't. How do you approach the people who don't trust you?

You don't know me, but I'm not a cocky guy. And I don't want this to sound cocky, but I don't pay too much attention to them... I think the people who don't trust us, some of them watch and just don't trust us. But some may see something written about us on the Internet and latch onto it. What I find is that they don't trust us, but have never watched us. I think if people just spent a little time watching us, they'd have a different opinion. But to be honest I don't think much about them. I spend a lot of time thinking about improving what's on the screen.

Fox News is no. 1, but with that comes plenty of critics, especially when it comes to worldview. When Jon Stewart was a guest on your network, with Bill O'Reilly on "The Factor," he argued that "there is a selective outrage machine here at Fox that pettifogs only when the narrative suits them." What is your reaction to that?

A couple things. Stewart is not a writer. He's a comedian. He has a lot of writers who write for him. And they come up with some great lines. So I'm not even sure he came up with that himself, but let's just say he did. It's his opinion, he can say whatever he wants.

If you look at our lineup, our stable of talent, it's the most [ideologically] diverse of anyone on cable. Starting with our news journalists, to our primetime programming. Watch Bill O'Reilly tonight. His Talking Points Memo, which I just read, is very balanced. Then watch Hannity, who is our conservative. Make no mistake, we pay him to be our conservative. Then watch Greta at 10. If you take that lineup, and add our news journalists during the afternoon, it's the most balanced out there. You get all sorts of opinions. You look at other networks, that doesn't happen.

What about the criticism that Fox is a farm team for the GOP? A place where people like Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee can go after their campaigns are over?

I actually think it's a bit of jealousy. [The candidates] get calls from the other networks, asking them to come work for them. The two you mentioned, they got calls from other networks. The other networks tried to hire them. But they decided to come work here. We're happy about it.

But doesn't hiring ex-Republican candidates make it harder for you to back up the "fair and balanced" mantra?

No, not at all. Look, we hired [former Democratic Sen.] Evan Bayh within the last year. If you look at our whole lineup, we have [FNC analyst and former campaign manager for Walter Mondale] Bob Beckel, [Democratic strategist and Fox News political analyst] Doug Schoen, people like that. It's very balanced.

The perception is that CNN is great when there's breaking news, and Fox is great at opinion coverage. Does that stigma concern you at all?

Sure. Look, the culture around here isn't, "We're no. 1, everything is great, let's take it easy, everybody take a three-day weekend." We're always looking to improve our breaking news programming. There are viewers who will always turn to CNN instinctively if there's a big or breaking news story. The question is, how do they keep them coming back? It seems like they've had a hard time doing that. It's been a struggle.

Do you watch CNN? Do you watch their debates?

Of course, of course. I have six TVs in my office. Everybody watches everybody else. You want to know what your competition is up to.

What are the TVs in your office tuned to?

Fox News Channel. Fox Business. CNN. MSNBC. The local Fox-5 affiliate in New York. And—don't tell anyone this—the Golf Channel.

FORD
01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
It's easy to be "#1 in the ratings" when you bought the Nielsen ratings company. Also doesn't hurt when you have millions of TV's in businesses all over the country tuned to your lame assed channel.

Nobody's actually watching them, of course. But since a TV is tuned to that channel, then "Nielsen" (which is no longer really Nielsen) records that as "viewers".

kwame k
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
And Joseph Goebbels was the number #1 Propaganda Minister from 1933 to 1945.....so what's your point Jag?

hambon4lif
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
.....so what's your point Jag?Over the years, I've learned to never ask him that question. Any answer he would give would make you lose a little more faith in humanity...

kwame k
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Over the years, I've learned to never ask him that question. Any answer he would give would make you lose a little more faith in humanity...

Message received and understood, Ham;)

Jagermeister
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
And Joseph Goebbels was the number #1 Propaganda Minister from 1933 to 1945.....so what's your point Jag?

No point really. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you guys don't get that they have been number 1. For 10 fucking years.

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't watch a lot of tv news, but my take is that prior to Fox, almost all TV news had a liberal slant....As most do now. So Fox stands naturally stands out. They do lean right of course, yet usually offer both sides. And that was missing forever on TV news and commentary.....

They filled a void, and people DO watch, regardless of what's posted here.....

As stated--I don't watch much TV news nowadays, but have always liked Brit Hume. Low key dude that knows DC......

kwame k
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
No point really. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you guys don't get that they have been number 1. For 10 fucking years.

You're right...I get my news from researching and reading and not from talking heads or being spoon fed my views from "opinionists".

I could give less than a fuck if Faux News is #1 or #20.......from the clips I've seen, they've lied and slanted their views and packaged it as news. I bet ya Murrow would be proud:)

Just because Lady Gaga is #1 or Country Music is #1 doesn't mean I follow like a sheep;)

sadaist
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Gonna chime in here as a loyal FOX News viewer.

I CAN'T WATCH ANYMORE

Ugh. Always had FOX News on while in the computer all day doing my work. Great background filler & enjoyable to pause & watch every so often. But damn, it's so tiresome now. Same fucking shit over & over & over. Nothing fresh about that channel at all. You could re-run a days broadcast from 2008,2009,2010,2011 tomorrow & I wouldn't know the fucking difference if it were recorded today.

O'Reilly has gotten much more soft to be likable & fair to everyone.

Hannity has gotten stale and his obvious salivation for Sarah Palin is disgusting.

The morning show team has just said a few too many DERP things that I just can't stomach their stupidity anymore. It stopped being cute. And that whatshisface Doocy got his son that looks EXACTLY like him as a reporter on the channel just makes it all the more monotonous.

Megan Kelly. Yeah, we get it. You're beautiful & smart. Boring as hell though. Shepard Smith. The one shining beacon of honesty & integrity not only on FOX, but ALL news. Love the guy. But it's seemingly harder & harder to find him.

Glenn Beck. I liked the guy at first then thought he went a little looney. But once I realized he just used FOX News to get as famous as possible & then bail out onto his huge delusions of grandeur and make his very own Glenn Beck network....sickening. It's all about fame, money, & power. The guy thrives on attention like a southern preacher. Glad he's gone.

Gold commercials. WHAT THE FUCK! 23 hours of news of how we are all fucking broke and 1 hour of commercials for us to invest in gold? WITH WHAT MONEY?! Jesus Christ tomatoes!

The fat guy that looks like he should be in a basement playing Dungeons & Dragons that has test audiences twist a dial for LIKE or DISLIKE. Frank Luntz I think. You suck dude. Get off my screen.

Bernard Goldberg dot com. Bernard Goldberg dot com. Bernard Goldberg dot com. Bernard Goldberg dot com. Bernard Goldberg dot com. DUDE STOP! Say something else for once. Motherfuck!

The 5. OMG what a piece of shit show that is. Beckel is a lib with zero game. If you need a token lib for the show, get one with some real game that can actually add to the program. And Eric Bolling....we get it dude, you're rich. Congrats!

Greg Gutfeld....we get it dude, you think you're funny & cute. STFU already. Hate guys like that. Type of guy that shmoozes up to everyones girlfriend at a party cause he's just so cute & funny & harmless while the whole time he has a pocket of rohypnol just waiting.....always waiting.

Juan Williams. Yeah dude, sucks you were canned from NPR. Done feeling sorry for you and the pity jobs FOX tossed to you in the interest of being Fair & Balanced.

Kimberly Guilfoyle......last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it.

Warham
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
If you want real comedy, tune into MSNBC from 6pm till 11pm. It's like watching an ad for the DNC.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
If you want real comedy, tune into MSNBC from 6pm till 11pm. It's like watching an ad for the DNC.

Nah, after watching the last GOP debate, I'm hooked!

Best new comedy I've seen in years;)

Warham
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
You missed Obama's YouTube "interview" yesterday? You would have been rolling on the floor.

Satan
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
I used to keep FAUX on the TV's down here in Hell just to torture the damned, but they were laughing too much at BecKKK and Hannity, so it was no longer serving the purpose. I can use MSNBC at least one hour a day though, because Al Sharpton is so horribly bad as a news anchor. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

kwame k
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
You missed Obama's YouTube "interview" yesterday? You would have been rolling on the floor.

:biggrin:

Touche:fencing:

kwame k
01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I used to keep FAUX on the TV's down here in Hell just to torture the damned, but they were laughing too much at BecKKK and Hannity, so it was no longer serving the purpose. I can use MSNBC at least one hour a day though, because Al Sharpton is so horribly bad as a news anchor. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Holy Hell, Your Most Unholiness......

Al Sharpton is on MSNBC:headlights:

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
A Different Kind Of Evil?

Too cool! Nice job Satan!

Unchainme
01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Red Eye is the only thing worth a damn watching on the channel. Levy, Gutfield and Schulz are hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3cRRN6__A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5vBqV6-_WI

kwame k
01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Fair and unbiased are two words seldom heard today in the News.......

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Wasn't it the local affiliate that canceled the piece?

kwame k
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Corporate.....go to the YouTube comments for the written story.

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Couldn't find a lot on these two reporters, just the wiki stuff.....

Steve Wilson is an American news reporter. Currently running his own nonprofit investigative reporting group, he is best known for his whistleblower lawsuit with then-wife Jane Akre against WTVT in 1997[1] and his work as WXYZ-TV's Chief Investigative Reporter in Detroit, Michigan in the late 2000s.
Wilson began his news career offering investigative news reports to various outlets in the 1980s. His reports were aired by CBS and ABC affiliates, and eventually led to Wilson joining Inside Edition, a nationally syndicated tabloid program. He would stay with Inside Edition for more than five years, and many of his reports won Emmy Awards for consumer reporting.[3]
Wilson met his future wife, Jane Akre, at a journalism convention in Washington. The two later moved to South Florida and eventually to Tampa, where they joined WTVT, the local Fox owned-and-operated television station.
[edit]WTVT Whistleblower lawsuit
In 1997, Wilson and Akre began work on a story regarding the agricultural biotechnology company Monsanto and recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), a milk additive that had been approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration but also blamed for a number of health issues. Wilson and Akre planned a four part investigative report on Monsanto's use of rBGH, which prompted Monsanto to write to Roger Ailes, president of Fox News Channel, in an attempt to have the report reviewed for bias and because of the "enormous damage that can be done" as a result of the report.[4]
WTVT chose not to run the report, and they would later argue in court that the report was not "breakthrough journalism." Wilson and Akre then claimed that Monsanto's actions constituted the news broadcast telling lies, while WTVT countered looking only for fairness. According to Wilson and Akre, the two rewrote the report over 80 times over the course of 1997, and WTVT decided to exercise "its option to terminate their employment contracts without cause,"[5] and did not renew their contracts in 1998. WTVT would later run a report about Monsanto and rBGH in 1998, and the report included defenses from Monsanto.[6]
Following Wilson and Akre's contract not being renewed, the two filed a lawsuit concerning WTVT's "news distortion" under Florida's whistleblower laws, claiming their termination was retaliation for "resisting WTVT's attempts to distort or suppress the BGH story."[7] In a joint statement, Wilson claimed that he and Akre "were repeatedly ordered to go forward and broadcast demonstrably inaccurate and dishonest versions of the story," and "were given those instructions after some very high-level corporate lobbying by Monsanto (the powerful drug company that makes the hormone) and also ... by members of Florida’s dairy and grocery industries."[8] The trial commenced in summer 2000 with a jury dismissing all of the claims brought to trial by Wilson, but siding with one aspect of Akre's complaint, awarding Akre $425000 and agreeing that Akre was a whistleblower because she believed there were violations of the 1934 Federal Communications Act and that she planned on reporting WTVT to the Federal Communications Commission. Akre's argument in the trial was that they did not have to prove actual news distortion, but that they instead believed such distortion occurred.[9]
An appeal was filed, and a ruling in February 2003 came down in favor of WTVT, who successfully argued that the FCC policy against falsification was not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not qualify as the required "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102. ... Because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102, Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute."[7] The appeal did not address any falsification claims, noting that "as a threshold matter ... Akre failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute," but noted that the lower court ruled against all of Wilson's charges and all of Akre's claims with the exception of the whistleblower claim that was overturned.[7]
Wilson and Akre became popular among many media outlets. The 2003 documentary The Corporation featured Wilson and Akre discussing their battle with WTVT, with Wilson claiming that the jury "determined that the story they pressured us to broadcast, the story we resisted telling, was in fact false, distorted, or slanted."[10][11] Project Censored called their story one of the "Most Censored Stories" of 2003, [12] claiming that the "Court Ruled That the Media Can Legally Lie."[13] Robert F. Kennedy Jr. later quoted Wilson in his book, Crimes Against Nature, with Wilson asking "[W]hat reporter is going to challenge a network ... if the station can retaliate by suing the reporter to oblivion the way the courts are letting them do to us?"[14] Following the story, Akre and Wilson won the Goldman Environmental Prize for the report,[15] as well as an Ethics in Journalism Award from the Society of Professional Journalists.[16] The two continue to challenge WTVT's license, the last such challenge coming in 2005.[17]
[edit]Kwame Kilpatrick and the Civic Fund
After spending some time away from the broadcast media, Wilson joined WXYZ-TV in Detroit, Michigan in 2001.[18] In 2005, Wilson filed a report regarding the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, a fund created by Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to help improvements in education and voter empowerment.[19] The reports continued, with the situation escalating. Kilpatrick's bodyguards shoved Wilson in one instance. Wilson also followed Kilpatrick around the country, at one point booking a plane ticket directly next to the Mayor in an attempt to corner him for an interview. The City of Detroit later prepared and broadcasted a video attacking Wilson on its city-controlled Public-access television cable TV channel, entitled Steve Wilson, the Inventive Reporter.[20]
[edit]Beyond WXYZ
In 2010, Wilson's contract at WXYZ was not renewed. The station's corporate management called it "a business decision." Wilson claimed he was let go "by a corporate owner who is not in this community."[21] In a follow-up email to Deroit blogger Dave Shea, Wilson noted his intent to start a not-for-profit news organization he originally dubbed The Michigan Center for Investigative Reporting.[22] On the day Wilson's non-profit (ultimately named The Michigan News Center) was to go live on the Internet, he suffered a massive heart attack. On life support for nearly a week, he later said he owed his life to the efforts of the cardiac team at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital. Shortly ater being released, Wilson ultimately posted his site <http://www.MichiganNewsCenter.org> and continued efforts to gain community support for the Center.

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Not sure who's right or wrong, just not a fan of hearing one side's take.....

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
FOX NEWS Reporters (Reporters Steve Wilson & Jane Akre *** See below for more info on their status today) uncover that most of the Milk in the USA and across some parts of the world is unfit to drink due to Monsanto Corporation's POSILAC®, which has been proven to be a cancer-causing growth hormone.(known in short as "BGH" "BST" or "rBGH" ), but they were fired for attempting to inform people of the truth.

(Important note: After a long court battle, the Court dismissed the whistle blowers protection for the reporters because the Court stated that there was no law to force that the NEWS state the truth. NEWS was/is no different than other TV shows/reality shows.)

This is type of deceitful corruption is not just FOX news but includes almost all MSM (Main Stream Media).

Self researched, alternative news and information (from multiple sources) is one of the best methods to stay well informed.

Never trust or follow MSM/mega corporations such as Monsanto.

The corrupt FDA has once again turned it's back on the American public and has actually assisted in suppressing the dangers of this issue.

If you consumed or fed regular milk to your family today (8/21/08), there is more than a 90% chance that it was from a cow injected with BGH.

(Bovine somatotropin developed by using recombinant DNA technology).

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Not sure who's right or wrong, just not a fan of hearing one side's take.....

Watch the piece...it shows the actual letters from Fox News' lawyers and corporate shills.

Shit....just YouTube Fox+News+Lies

Remember these losers actually put most of their lies on the air;)

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
I also like the subtle way they put a (D) instead of an (R) whenever a Repuke fucks up in Washington;)

sadaist
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah Kwame. I listened to an hour about that on Coast To Coast last weekend. Interesting & scary shit indeed. Ford is the expert on Monsanto evils. I almost pm'd him to let him know to download the podcast of that hour. But, I figured it was probably him they had on the phone as the expert anyways. LOL

sadaist
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
the Court stated that there was no law to force that the NEWS state the truth. NEWS was/is no different than other TV shows/reality shows.)

That is some fucked up shit right there.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Watch Food, Inc docu if you really want a scare.

ODShowtime
01-31-2012, 07:34 PM

I'll agree with that. #1 for an entire 10 years in your category is quite a feat. Actually it's complete domination. Take the ideology angle out of the equation and that is quite remarkable.

Too bad that channel gives me a headache.

Unchainme
01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
There was a story a while back about a report that a charlotte network affiliate did an expose on food lion and how they treat food....needless to say, Food Lion got pissed and sicked lawman on that and successfully sued the station, and the station owed millions.

It's why idiots like Carl Monday do stories like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYtUTu9H7dE

and not REAL stories.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM
That is some fucked up shit right there.

When you control the media you control people's perception of the truth......regardless of the facts:(

kwame k
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
There was a story a while back about a report that a charlotte network affiliate did an expose on food lion and how they treat food....needless to say, Food Lion got pissed and sicked lawman on that and successfully sued the station, and the station owed millions.

and not REAL stories.

Always wondered what Gar looked like:lmao:

Unchainme
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Always wondered what Gar looked like:lmao:

SONOVABITCH! :lmao:. just had me spit out coke zero.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-28-2006/rubbing-out-crime

FORD
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Is that a real news report or is that from the Onion News Network :lmao:

Warham
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
FORD sets his DVR so he can catch Ann Coulter on Hannity.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
It's a man, baby!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/6a00d83451b46869e200e54f0936678833-.jpg

sadaist
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM

and not REAL stories.

Damn, you guys catch that library manager about halfway through?

http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2010b/rockydennis1si8.jpg

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Watch Food, Inc docu if you really want a scare.

I rented that a couple of months ago.....

kwame k
01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to remember the Monsanto one where they sued the farmer who had their seeds spread onto his property by passing trucks.....

100,000's of dollars and years later he won but it isn't the rule it's the exception.

They've always found a way around the patent laws that forbid patenting of non-genetically altered seeds.

When they combine two different seeds they can now patent both the original seeds plus the new hybrid, so they're taking away our seed banks in essence.

We are at a point in the US where if we had the equivalent of the Potato Famine we don't have a back up....they do we don't.

Mexico refuses and it's illegal to import Monsanto seeds.....tons of countries out right ban them too.

LoungeMachine
01-31-2012, 08:54 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

FOX NEWS HAS JUST CALLED THE FLORIDA GOP PRIMARY FOR BUSH

:gulp:

Dr. Love
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
MSNBC can really compete with FOX on who has the biggest douche nozzles.

I swear Ed Schultz and Lawrence O'Donnell are two of the biggest uninspired windbags I've ever seen.

kwame k
01-31-2012, 10:48 PM
OK, I hear all you guys bitching about Faux News, MSNBC, CNN and the lot but.......you guys seem to be able to quote every fucking show and person on every station;)

FORD
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I probably watch RT more than anything else anymore. Mostly because it's one of the few channels I can actually get on my TV and don't have to watch online.