PDA

View Full Version : Official "A Different Kind of Truth" Album Review Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sambo
02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Official Release in Australia

Just been through the whole thing.. hope you don't mind if I share..

Tattoo

We know. Actually now that I have heard the rest, a very good call for first single for a number of reasons… good hook, good BVs (see videos for further proof) Most radio friendly – it sticks .. who can argue..… . solid first album song.

But the main reason I think - it showcases Dave brilliantly… “Welcome back Dave!!” – he’s all over this for a reason.. well that’s what I got out of this. HEY PEOPLE…Dave is back… and that’s why it put a smile on my face the first time..

Overanalyze this song at your peril..

I do like Al’s drum sound in this the more I listen.. I may have not paid as much attention when the single came out just fckn… awesome

Missus is already singing this one.. so far so good.

I know people ripped into Ed for not ripping it out on this track… (not from the Army here) but he does in another way.. that DLR/CVH swagger that only THEY can get (FCK all you haters!!!) but it’s a cool, stripped back solo with lots of grin

She’s the Woman
WOW WOW WOW. High point.. Fresh take on a great song… (missus loves this too – good sign??)

This songs fckn motors along… it’s like “I’m driving I don’t need to speed but get the fuck out of my way” song…. … band is awesome. Got to be a single.

There’s a reason in the Café Wha? Video Dave yells “Sing it Wolf” . Wolf fckn NAILS this vocals and bass riff, locked in the zone with Al..

You and Your Blues

ATBL kind of intro/verse but diff tempo… Al’s working well with Ed for this..

I do like in Dave in this…he hits a few high ones in the chorus..

If that’s Wolf on BVs again - THANKYOUVERYMUCH..

Ed and Al are doin just fine btw.. if anyone was wondering… ☺

Like it, don’t know why yet…

China Town

Alex – All over the intro… fark.. if this is his smaller kit.. Al’s got this pumpin…

Solo – Hang ‘em High…. with a knarly twist.

Brilliant… this will be a fan’s fave.. but there’s sooo much good on this CD to go..

Blood and Fire

> Ripley

You all know it…I actually like it…a Diver Down feel… Ed (and Al) pull their gain back and get a cool Diver Down sound.

Unreal that Dave has line “… now look at all of the people.. here tonight” (It’s my favourite line from Dave live)… with AL and Wolf chugging behind this one line sounds brilliant…

“TOLD YA I WAS COMING BACK…” - DLR

BulletHead

Most know it...

Nod to the previously rare track.. sounds amazing to hear it in this quality for the “first time” and a massive cudos to Wolf for doing well here on both counts. (nod to MA)

I already like this song so won't comment.

As If

Cathedral type intro…… at the beginning tells you are in for something special..

Quick, quick, quick.. reminds me of Loss of Control /Girl Gone Bad with an Hang Em High tempo.

Al works up a sweat… using the kit well..

If that’s Wolf keeping up he’s slaying it..

Good middle, cleaner guitar sound..

Probably my favorite so far

Honeysweetiebabydoll

Perhaps a new VH version of intruder into …cool but odd…for about 45 seconds then MONSTERS into to a riff straight off FW.. Dave tells a story here… Ed’s doing well, you think he’s going one way with a tried and true run but he pulls himself a bit left again. new Ed…cool..

Ed gives this one a right monstering…… all the way through he shines on this track. Kids everywhere will be wanting to learn this one…

Then WTF?, cool middle 8 – middle eastern almost.. Ed’s building up for something..

Tasty tasty… solo…can’t describe it.. I think it’s the best one album.. then the ½ second pause then back into main riff that they fckn nail…

That’s the Trouble with Never

Know it.. if you’ve heard it THEN LISTEN AGAIN with good cans/monitors/ speakers… classic VH.. typical VH2.. you can feel it. Some say the wah gets a bit tedious… …

I’d like the verses to go longer, 1st chorus ended quickly and the 2nd verse is in..

Solo – again, Ed sounds like he’s familiar ground again but hits that magic one note more than once..

Breakdown – Dave is at his best… fckn genius

Outta Space

Love it - VH1… straight out of the gate.. straight in your face, Ed’s tight, Wolf and AL are attached at the hip…

Dave is THAT good - you want to try to listen to the music, but Dave just grabs you with the coolest lyrics..

Solo has a Phase 90 VH1 vibe at about 180bpm! Those new EVH III’s sound just fine thankyouverymuch !!!

Stay Frosty

Again you’ve heard it… blues is back.. missus is already singing this one.. “foot’s tappin”.

Dave has 2 verses of an acoustic but hypnotizing swagger, then it kicks in... fun to play and shred along with…

Not my favourite actually, I thought it would be up there, but great fun VH tune… that says a lot about the other tracks… far out it’s ALL GOOD

Band is tight as.. good blues allows individuals to have “their turn”.. and every one gets one… and is it good or WHAT?

Big River

New kind vibe tho… quite fresh… again Wolfie and Al… I’ve not said a lot about Al.. he is everywhere and nowhere.. his snare in magnificent form and I hear sounds of FW/1984 drums in this.. magnificent work Al..

Ed’s solo, bit of wah action.. taps.. blues, then drops a killer riff and run and then ….fark they didn’t miss THAT getting back into the main riff…

Ed plays melody out the outro… that new EVH III sounds real different/ real new but then he manages to pull a kind of Plexi (I have an old one) sound out of it halfway through a run.. kind of blends the 2 amp sounds but not in a Soldano way.. not as compressed but it really sings… must have been a loud recording.. no wonder Ed’s smiling… nice guitar sound.

Beats Workin

Good finisher, Dave is the highlight… Wolf and Dave get an old school VH vibe from the 70’s bootlegs for this.

Al and Ed would have loved hanging out on this one… verses are all theirs.

First part of Solo… old school EVH pentatonic run, bend grab.. lots of room to move.. no meedly meedly – nice work Ed

Wah on the way out… superb

______
Overall

What do I say, I may be a bit biased…but if it was below par I’d say so… Tattoo is unlike the rest and maybe needed to go first.. first on the album and first single IMO..

But I’d not be the first to say if this has not been the best day in the last 20 years…

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Amazon delivered...stereo returns the favor BIG TIME and this is christmas, my birthday, happy easter at the same time over here!!!

VAN HALEN, BITCHES!!! live in front of my naked steaming ears is

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH!

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I won't bother you with a review...I can't think!!! Im fucking dancing!!! I'm totally out of words...Dave all over...Ed is back you haven't heard him like this for a quarter century!!! China Town...Bullethead...it's all there...bitches...you want a seven pack? this album is KILLER!!! diver down? 1984? sorry...it takes fair warning to keep up with that album!!!

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Damn dude, you fucking suck !!

:biggrin:

Panamark
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Good Onya Mate,

We are meant to be able to get it now, but its still saying
pre-order. But who cares at this point, I'll grab some
shut eye and it will be there waiting.

Tonight has been fun watchin the Jay and Bantonelli show anyway.

Im really happy for you !! Hope they dont move you off into some
other dead end thread so we can all jump on this one with you when
we get it.....

Cheers

-Mark

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Damn dude, you fucking suck !!

I know....since now I'm at #8 Honeybabysweetdoll...the first seven songs are ALL great (and yeas Tattoo is the weakes link so far)

jero
02-02-2012, 09:33 AM
WTF! Gaymany is first! It's a fucking Dutch band :D

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
lack of creativity my ass...they take twists and turns on this album you haven't heard for a loooooooooooooooong time...and man, Ed sounds massive!!! angry, screaming, ripping...this is so fucking good!!!

jero
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Let this be your only win this year!

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Nat, you lucky SOB.

sambo
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Yep... got it too... awesome. All is right with the world again...

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
lack of creativity my ass...they take twists and turns on this album you haven't heard for a loooooooooooooooong time...and man, Ed sounds massive!!! angry, screaming, ripping...this is so fucking good!!!

Awesome!!

And I was just reading some jerkoff negative comments about Tattoo and how releasing it on vinyl was just a cash grab...

Fuck 'em!

:elvis:

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Awesome!!

And I was just reading some jerkoff negative comments about Tattoo and how releasing it on vinyl was just a cash grab...

Fuck 'em!

No kidding!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/181/813/1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1317708806

Panamark
02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
DLN, is the heavy bit in Stay Frosty as mind blowing as the sample hinted at ?? :)

Panamark
02-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Yep... got it too... awesome. All is right with the world again...

Where ???

sambo
02-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Where ???

CD shop in Melbourne tonight... my online pre-order still says "PRE ORDER" too..

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Stay Frosty...and you need that tune to come down from a highspeed rollercoaster ride so far...now Big River...stumping train...beats working...bringing it home...and YES they could play the whole album and you would have to hold your piss, because there is no chance in hell you make it to the toilet!!!

alright brethren and sistren...I'm not ashamed to say that I write that with a lump in my throat now that I reach the end of the album (for the first of many times today)

28 fucking years and the mighty is back...

Panamark
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
CD shop in Melbourne tonight... my online pre-order still says "PRE ORDER" too..

I cant leave the property, we are flooded in ! lol
No worries, heaps of supplies, but I cant go to a shop...
But to wait this long, a few more hours is nothing......
Cant wait to shoot my wad in this thread.... :)

sambo
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Sorry 'bout the floods mate, hope all is OK

LOL @
Cant wait to shoot my wad in this thread.... :). got a completely selfish review posted in the other thread Mark..

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
DLN, is the heavy bit in Stay Frosty as mind blowing as the sample hinted at ?? :)

stay frosty is swinging...rocking...and yes you think of strippers on a pole and no matter if there is a bar fight to it, Dave will keep the beat!!! believe me...I wasn't disappointed for just one second! even if the eperimental elements in honeybabysweetdoll are a bit strange...it works...

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Dude, rent a fucking helicopter to pick your ass up!!!

Yount
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm in love with Tattoo. If that's the worst song on there I'll go he.

Yount
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
CD shop in Melbourne tonight...
Which one?

Panamark
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Sorry 'bout the floods mate, hope all is OK

LOL @ . got a completely selfish review posted in the other thread Mark..

Please point to thread, Im losing track of where we are meant to be postin, theres too much
going down !

Man I gotta crash... fucking work at the moment, I thought I was gonna be able to stay up
all night... Well tomorrow I will have it.. And thats fine with me !!

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
now Panama from the downtown sessions...with special guest Russel...

Alex and Ed with the biggest smiles you have seen ever...this shit is legit...this is a BAND...they rock they swing...

ED is the most surprising part of the team...he REALLY seems to be sober and ENJOYING what he's doing...and playing his ass off on the acoustic!!!

sambo
02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Please point to thread, Im losing track of where we are meant to be postin, theres too much
going down !

Man I gotta crash... fucking work at the moment, I thought I was gonna be able to stay up
all night... Well tomorrow I will have it.. And thats fine with me !!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?64500-ADKOT-Personal-Review-Thread&p=1606989#post1606989

Panamark
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Floods are ok guys, our main house is on top of a hill, so we just sit tight,
rain is weakening. No worries ! I have beer here, and food, and so far
power and internet, so no big deal. Goodnight my friends cant wait to
wake up !

sambo
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM
now Panama from the downtown sessions...with special guest Russel...

Alex and Ed with the biggest smiles you have seen ever...this shit is legit...this is a BAND...they rock they swing...

ED is the most surprising part of the team...he REALLY seems to be sober and ENJOYING what he's doing...and playing his ass off on the acoustic!!!

Can't wait to see that, sounds awesome... did not have the DVD version at the shop I went to..

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
DLR "I can see you as good as you can see me..."

mike who? the wolf pulls his own fucking weight...sings great! go kiddo!!!

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Now that I think about it...I will always be remembered as the army soldier who had the album FIRST!!! HA HA HA!!!

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hmmm...

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Hmmm...

I know this is killing you! :biggrin:

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
and Elvis...if they play China Town live it will destroy EVERY speculation who played bass...forget about She's the Woman...think Shyboy...

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey dude, any good screams ??

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

there is one that sounds like if they took it from an old recording (beginning of As Is)...but I don't need the scream anymore...it's gone since 1988...

this is so raw...so full of power...no more "why can't this be love comes walking in for breakfast and finish what you started"...it's "we take no prisoners, fuck your girlfriend and destroy not only the fucking hotel room but burn your whole city down"

tjvhou812
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
just downloaded it from ******* could'nt wait, but i will buy the cd on tuesday, i;ve listened to it 3 times, and it just keeps getting better.
king edward really sounds amazing, the solo's are killer, dave sounds great, with catchy lyrics, al,is working wolfie,, the kid is legit.

this is gotta be my 3rd favorite cd behind van halen, and fair warning. all i can say, its a whole lotta yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
LMAO!!!

Well, I guess it's time for me to pretend I work for a living while day dreaming about V A N H A L E N !!

seanster
02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Holy shit is this good....I cannot believe how good this is. I was expecting ok....something decent....few demos redone....this thing rocks from beginning to end.

Word of advice, when you get a hold of this, do not listen from beginning to end, go straight to Honeybabysweetiedoll, turn your amp up to 11, sit back and just....enjoyyyyyyyyyy!

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Ed is ON FIRE!!! he saved his best...take it from me: the king of six strings and ten fingers is back in all his glory! bow down all you vais, satrianis and whohaveyous...THIS is the man!

and I love the final words in the booklet:

"thanks for the Dream..."
- Dave

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Natra...

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks Natra...

man, I feel like being 16 again...I'm not kidding you...sure I am biased, but this album is SO good...I don't give a shit how many copies they sell...I got mine!

album ends with Ed doing a feedback on his guitar as if he wants to say "to be continued"

DLR'sCock
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I can't wait to pick this one up!

akuma
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
album ends with Ed doing a feedback on his guitar as if he wants to say "to be continued"
it reminds me also the sound of a stopping locomotive...anyway, this album is amazing; 100% pure Van Halen. I'm in love with China Town.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Ach! Lucky you, DLN!! You're making an Army of envious folks! :D

Thank you for sharing your first listening, above all!

:bottle:

Aber... Warum Deutschland zuerst? :umm:

( und warum nicht, hm? :D )

I'll get my copy through Amazon on Monday 6th, if all goes fine.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Best album of the millenium!

FORD
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM

...and hopefully, that's exactly what he's saying. Just as long as we don't have to wait another 28 years for the next one! Your post reminds me of how that last tune on WACF (officially untitled, but it's come to be known as "Growth") was supposed to be a preview of what the next album would start off with, but by the time Fair Warning was recorded, Eddie came up with the intro to Mean Street, which was much better anyway.

DONNIEP
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm so freakin' jealous!!! Seriously though, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it! Can't wait to get my copies on Tuesday. Damn, it's gonna be a long weekend...

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
God damn!!! This is not fair!!! Lucky fuckers!!!! :bigwink: At least I get my copy on Monday. But sure would be nice to be turning it up to 11 now!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Deutschland über alles!

Winner of the Holy fuck didn't expect this one to be so good from the previews award is 'As Is'

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
It has to take less than 28 years for the next one being that they will be long dead by then and most of us will be too. HA! :pray:

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Deutschland über alles!

Winner of the Holy fuck didn't expect this one to be so good from the previews award is 'As Is'

Hows did the full "blues" tune turn out?

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Deutschland über alles!

AS IS is the fucking shit...it's punk-pop-meets Diamond Dave!

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I think this album will turn the music world upside down - much in the same way the 1978 debut did.

If not, at least it will destroy every other music genre in its path.

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I think this album will turn the music world upside down - much in the same way the 1978 debut did.

you know what? I'm happy with it...I don't care if somebody cares...if it outsells chickenfootnote, gets an award, if critics say it sucks...I don't give a shit...

I have it! I can listen to it! and I fucking love it!!!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM

It can't because everyone is too old. :)

It's a fucking great album though much better than any of us could have hoped for.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Hows did the full "blues" tune turn out?

Frosty?

Two solos, trying to work out if Ed is playing a bit of slide on the second one...

Guitar playing is fire in the belly VH1 stuff.

They should definitely replace ICM with this live...

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Frosty?

Two solos, trying to work out if Ed is playing a bit of slide on the second one...

and don't tell me they can't!!! Stay Frosty!!!

ZahZoo
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
God damn!!! This is not fair!!! Lucky fuckers!!!! :bigwink: At least I get my copy on Monday. But sure would be nice to be turning it up to 11 now!

Today's theme song in the US... excluding Bantonelli and JHale...

http://m.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/thumb/demotivation.us_Life-Is-not-fair_130054250511.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Today's theme song in the US... excluding Bantonelli and JHale...

http://m.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/thumb/demotivation.us_Life-Is-not-fair_130054250511.jpg

:lmao:

but when it comes to the so called "world tour" I will have to post that pic...

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Bullethead is good for Rothisms. :)

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
This CD is a MONSTER........so heavy and intense it's rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjvhou812
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
you know what? I'm happy with it...I don't care if somebody cares...if it outsells chickenfootnote, gets an award, if critics say it sucks...I don't give a shit...

I have it! I can listen to it! and I fucking love it!!!

this cd will debut at #1, and will out sell chickenfoot in its first day

qikgts
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Today's theme song in the US...

Don't "suffer from a color..."

Give it a listen!!!

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Frosty?

No, sorry.. I meant "You And Your Blues" ...But thanks for the info on Frosty I was wondering about that one too..

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you's in the liner notes: Dave: Thanks For The Dream

Zing!
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I won't bother you with a review...I can't think!!! Im fucking dancing!!! I'm totally out of words...Dave all over...Ed is back you haven't heard him like this for a quarter century!!! China Town...Bullethead...it's all there...bitches...you want a seven pack? this album is KILLER!!! diver down? 1984? sorry...it takes fair warning to keep up with that album!!!

Enjoy you lucky bastage!

:beers8:

FORD
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
:lmao:

but when it comes to the so called "world tour" I will have to post that pic...

Hopefully not.... the current North American leg of the tour is only booked through the end of June. That leaves lots of time to hit Europe in the summer. And one would hope they manage to hit Australia, since they would have been the first stop on the tour, had that festival not gone tits up the way it did.

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Something or someone lit a fire under Eddie's ass cuz he sounds like an 18yr old shredding again.....Alex is killing it....Wolf is killing it....Dave's voice hasn't sounded this good since Little Aint Enough. Fuckin' killer album. So far for me....."AS IS" is rediculously insane.

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Something or someone lit a fire under Eddie's ass cuz he sounds like an 18yr old shredding again.

Something = Sobriety

Someone = David Lee Roth

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm so glad my boss is a cool dude....I left the office about 12 today and bought him and I deluxe versions and have been blasing this shit all day. Might have to buy new computer speakers...

BruinJer
02-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Got it! :)

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I've just been told by a VH fan bud that Switzerland will sell ADKOT as soon as tomorrow... I preordered a copy from Amazon France which will be in my mail box next Monday, argh!

I think I'll drive the 25 miles to Geneva despite the black ice (it's - 15°C) and offer my "French" copy next week. :)

DLN, how many listens now, you lucky Teuton? :biggrin:

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Shit if there's anyone on Long Island in here....I can tell you where to go right friggin now to legitimately buy this cd.

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
OK I don't wanna be an annoying prick here but just watched the dvd.....if anyone watches this and still thinks Wolf can't sing.....their crazy....kid's got pipes.

FALCO
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Ok... still 5 days away from actually possessing a Deluxe Version in my hands, so caved and listened to the full versions posted online (specifically the dude with the ADKOT playlist... minus Tattoo - he has Big River as Song #1) ...

HOLY FUCK... what a difference from the clips posted... MONSTROUSLY thicker production and better sounding mix to my ears... Dave is blended perfectly on what I am hearing (which was my big complaint on the short clips as he was WAY too loud) ...

I honestly am speechless as to what I have just listened to ...

Not sure there is a better Songs #2 - #8 on anything I have heard in the past 25 years...
And HoneyBabySweetieDoll may just have entered my top 3...

I retract my earlier statements based on the clips (which many posted would be the case.. . still not sure why they released sub par sounding stuff, but whatever now)

... what I am listening to is MASSIVE...
EVH is out of his mind on this CD...

Classic meets Modern - Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!

\m/ \m/
"A little more volume in the headphones please!!!" - DLR

Vinnie Velvet
02-02-2012, 04:40 PM
I heard the entire Stay Frosty song.

O M G ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This song completely DESTROYS Ice Cream Man 1978.

DESTROYS IT!

Wow, Eddie, man.

The MASTERS are indeed back.

What a song.

bigtrouble77
02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I finally placed my order through Amazon, I just didn't want to have to wait till tuesday evening to hear this... but I got the deluxe edition front of me now :)

When my 3 year old goes to bed the rest of the evening belongs to VH!

vandeleur
02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Hopefully not.... the current North American leg of the tour is only booked through the end of June. That leaves lots of time to hit Europe in the summer. And one would hope they manage to hit Australia, since they would have been the first stop on the tour, had that festival not gone tits up the way it did.

Shit i would love them to play europe

Rikk
02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Just got myself an "early copy" too...but my CD/DVD will arrive on Tuesday.

I am absolutely blown away. I cannot describe how great an album this is. And I can't believe that I prefer the new SHE'S THE WOMAN to the original version...

Also, the sound quality is SO MUCH better than the preview versions.

ToraToraTora
02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Wasn't there a quote somewhere from someone who had talked to Eddie about the album and Eddie said he was nervous about how the album would be recieved?? No need to be nervous Ed ol boy this album is immense.

FALCO
02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Just got myself an "early copy" too...but my CD/DVD will arrive on Tuesday.

I am absolutely blown away. I cannot describe how great an album this is. And I can't believe that I prefer the new SHE'S THE WOMAN to the original version...

Also, the sound quality is SO MUCH better than the preview versions.

Agreed!!! The sound BLOWS AWAY the preview clips... was very disappointed in the mix of DLR's vocals on those... but the REAL CD... no issues whatsoever... it is slamming!!!
\m/ \m/

Jérôme Frenchise
02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Agreed!!! The sound BLOWS AWAY the preview clips... was very disappointed in the mix of DLR's vocals on those... but the REAL CD... no issues whatsoever... it is slamming!!!
\m/ \m/

What you got are mp3s, aren't they? The actual CD will blow them away! :)

I will get my copy next Monday morning from Amazon.fr, but couldn't help getting an "early copy", as RIKK said... and... it's just TREMENDOUS!!!!

It's even better than I thought, beyond my expectations that were really high, as VH could not disappoint us...
They made a GREAT album, which coming from VH means a damn lot.

I agree about the previews, which sound a little hollow in comparison.

I'm all the more looking forward to play my own proper CD!!

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

O M G ! ! ! ! ! ! !

DESTROYS IT!

Wow, Eddie, man.

What a song.

I thought the clip was pretty good, but after hearing the full version, I was not prepared for how good that song would be.

Ed kills it indeed!!!

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Whats the solo in China Town like??? On the preview it stops just as Eddie sounds like hes getting ready to unleash something mighty...big squeal then...AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! I want to hear this album!!!!! LOL

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Ive got my Itunes copy pre-ordered, and then going to pick up the deluxe version at the local record store...man I never expected to ever have the thrill of waiting on another new VH release with Roth...it's sweet misery...

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Quick question....

Are Dave's handwritten lyrics in the CD booklet, or is that only on the gatefold of the vinyl copy?

BruinJer
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
The solo on Stay Frosty is bluesy... Similar to Ice Cream Man. Ed is on another planet on this album!

twonabomber
02-02-2012, 07:08 PM
more questions...

how's the DVD? just the four songs, or is the "song by song" rundown of the lyrics included?

and was it recorded at 5150 and Henson, or just Henson?

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
It's the same session as the YRGM one that was put up on preview.

I think the other 4 work better than YRGM and Dave tells a couple of short stories.

Eddie and Wolf look genuinely happy to be there giggling at Dave's jokes and Wolf can sing.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Whats the solo in China Town like??? On the preview it stops just as Eddie sounds like hes getting ready to unleash something mighty...big squeal then...AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! I want to hear this album!!!!! LOL

You will not be disappointed.

Actually sounds a bit like EEAS with Wolf doing the Billy Sheehan Shyboy style thing following the guitar.

Intense!

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
All I can say is this Mother Fucker....will kick your ass!!! Unreal....

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
It almost validates the 10 years sitting about on this site waiting(and moaning)... :)

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Quick question....

Are Dave's handwritten lyrics in the CD booklet, or is that only on the gatefold of the vinyl copy?Anyone???

Warham
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
"As Is" is fucking ridiculous.

sambo
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Well back at work after 3 hours sleep. Drank almost everything in the house listening to this til 4am.. just the way I planned...

Drove to work... CD in car stereo - traffic was soooo bad but it didn't matter - I had VH telling me to "Stay Frosty" ...

This shit is killer... now on at work. Listen up work people.. "THIS IS FCKN VAN HALEN - GET USED TO HEARING IT!"

Different songs sound different in the light of day.. You and Your Blues was a GREAT track to start my day, where as last night I was drawn towards others.

This album is the shit.. period.. game over.

Warham
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Van Hagar has been wiped from existence. There will just be a black hole between 1984 and 2012.

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
It almost validates the 10 years sitting about on this site waiting(and moaning)... :)

oh hell yeah....this thing is epic man!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
When did Ed get his mojo back?

In between the end of the last tour and recording this something has happened.

It can't be just the sobriety, Roth brings the best out of him.

After 20 years on a plateau he has added a bunch of new tricks to the tool kit.

DONNIEP
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Well back at work after 3 hours sleep. Drank almost everything in the house listening to this til 4am.. just the way I planned...

Quote of the day right here! Maybe we can get a group rate on rehab once this tour's over ;) :gulp:

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Remember 3 hours sleep is not enough to get you sober to drive FFS. :)

Panamark
Awake (and working unfortunately) but I have it now !!!!
Its there on my PC waiting.
Have to finish a freakin coding deadline today and then
beer oclock to the new album.

I think I will be rushing the code a little more than usual :biggrin:

DiverDowninKy

Man I can't even put into words how good this is....well maybe. I had to go get more beer.

VHscraps
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Like Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, they may have bitched and moaned at each other like a married couple over the years, but together - it just IS THIS: the sum is greater than the parts. Dave always knew it, Ed was in denial during the Van Hagar years, but he knows it in hs bones.

He and Dave ended up together because it always made sense.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Sammy just heard it...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bkFIPLIOGL8/SsDAErfCBwI/AAAAAAAAk4s/NN7Ng2k6coI/s320/dead-clown.jpg

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Awake (and working unfortunately) but I have it now !!!!
Its there on my PC waiting.
Have to finish a freakin coding deadline today and then
beer oclock to the new album.

I think I will be rushing the code a little more than usual :biggrin:

10 RUN Van Halen Album
20 GOTO 10

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Bit of 80s nostalgia there for the old people...

Jetstream
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
It was released in Africa too, and this was the general excitement level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6thZbNv148

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Like Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, they may have bitched and moaned at each other like a married couple over the years, but together - it just IS THIS: the sum is greater than the parts. Dave always knew it, Ed was in denial during the Van Hagar years, but he knows it in hs bones.

What you don't fucking get on this album is that bend at the start of the solo followed by the little tapping thing on the G string and then tremolo picking up the E and back into a lame fucking Sammy Hagar dumbass chorus.

It's the opposite of that! :)

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
"As Is" is fucking ridiculous.
yes it is and so is "You And your Blues"

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Which is another one of the songs that should have been the first single.

Oh well...

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
yeah man....that song just kicks ass. I can hear it all over the radio. but like you said.

Oh well....

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM

O M G ! ! ! ! ! ! !

DESTROYS IT!

Wow, Eddie, man.

What a song.

I just know this is going to be my favorite off the album. Even Ted Danson yammering couldn't mask the heavy blues I was hearing.....C'mon Tuesday!!!!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
At the moment at least it's the middle of the album that is blowing me away.

3-8 just fucking wow plus you can hear that there is more than enough complexity to keep you coming to this album again and again.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm gonna be the first to say it.

This pisses all over 1984.

It can never replace it because I'm not a teenager any more but on every level musically, song writing, lyrics it blows it away.

twonabomber
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
It's the same session as the YRGM one that was put up on preview.

I think the other 4 work better than YRGM and Dave tells a couple of short stories.

Eddie and Wolf look genuinely happy to be there giggling at Dave's jokes and Wolf can sing.

i didn't clarify, do the liner notes for the CD list 5150 and Henson?

and back to the DVD...none of the interview that we heard snippets of?

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
At the moment at least it's the middle of the album that is blowing me away.

3-8 just fucking wow plus you can hear that there is more than enough complexity to keep you coming to this album again and again.

Sesh bro...this album is mind blowing. It really is.

johneric8
02-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I've been a lurker for a long time guys and enjoy reading all the post... Okay, for what it's work "Honeybabysweetiedoll" is one of the coolest things I've ever heard! I never in a million dreams would have guessed that the boys were capable of playing and writing this kind of tune at their age! It's everything I love about Van Halen wrapped into one! Man, It's crazy cool!!! I think this is a song where Dave captured his past magic the most, and the music is just flat out special!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Nope.

I never got liner notes with the download version, I guess I'll need to wait until the CD after the weekend.

Brett at the Links said the producer told him it was recorded at Henson and only mixed at 5150.

I think getting Ed away from 5150 will have improved not only the production.

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Like I said before...I've been a Van HALEN fan since the needle hit the vinyl in 1978. this damn album is off the charts...I mean how could they do this? it's that great!

Warham
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Wolf is a beast on this record.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I've been a lurker for a long time guys and enjoy reading all the post... Okay, for what it's work "Honeybabysweetiedoll" is one of the coolest things I've ever heard! I never in a million dreams would have guessed that the boys were capable of playing and writing this kind of tune at their age! It's everything I love about Van Halen wrapped into one! Man, It's crazy cool!!! I think this is a song where Dave captured his past magic the most, and the music is just flat out special!

I think Dave wrote this to a large degree but the Van Halens managed to make it theirs. Remember them criticising him back 10 years ago for turning up and making them listen to Chemical Brothers stuff?

I think he finally got through to them probably with the help of Wolf and they took it and knocked it out the fucking park.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Billy Sheehan with good taste... :)

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM

and back to the DVD...none of the interview that we heard snippets of?Good question. I noticed before the 'Dave explains Tattoo lyrics' vid, it says 'Song For Song'. It leads you to believe he runs through all of them.

Twona, do a brutha a solid and ask if the handwritten lyrics are in the CD booklet. I've tried to ask twice already, but apparently I'm on unanimous ignore.
Thanks in advance.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't ignore you! You're one of my favorite posters!

ToraToraTora
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I think Dave wrote this to a large degree but the Van Halens managed to make it theirs. Remember them criticising him back 10 years ago for turning up and making them listen to Chemical Brothers stuff?

I think he finally got through to them probably with the help of Wolf and they took it and knocked it out the fucking park.

They have knocked it out the park, and never in my wildest dreams did i ever think they would. My flabber has been gasted!! Just amazing!

twonabomber
02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Twona, do a brutha a solid and ask if the handwritten lyrics are in the CD booklet. I've tried to ask twice already, but apparently I'm on unanimous ignore.
Thanks in advance.

let's try this:

so, anyone who got the actual CD...are Dave's handwritten lyrics in the booklet? or do Hambon and i have to wait until Tuesday to find out?

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes indeed my friend that intro is very similiar to an EEAS track (perhaps Shyboy?) good call. Theres so many things I want to ask but I realize people have better things to do...like listen to their new copy of ADKOT!!! lol I think the releasing of Tattoo was genius, because of the stir it made. And then after hearing the rest of the album you're even more overwhelmed. Dave has always been a genius at promotion, Im still just punch drunk and giddy that Dave is back. What a great year for VH fans.

BruinJer
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM

His playing is as impressive as his dad's (on this album)...

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Thank you's in the liner notes: Dave: Thanks For The Dream

People want to know if Dave's handwritten lyrics are in the CD liner notes?

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
let's try this:

so, anyone who got the actual CD...are Dave's handwritten lyrics in the booklet? or do Hambon and i have to wait until Tuesday to find out?

Looks like Daves hand written lyrics to me, from what has been posted of Stay Frosty.

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
People want to know if Dave's handwritten lyrics are in the CD liner notes?

Yes Sir!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Even the Guardian likes this album... :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/02/van-halen-different-truth-review?newsfeed=true

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Recorded at Henson Studio

Mixed at 5150

twonabomber
02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
thanks!

seems odd that they'd do it that way, but from all the rave reviews it worked.

Zing!
02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
let's try this:

Did you hear something?

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
HA!

"These songs crackle, fizz and bulge with priapic exuberance, and not just due to the reliably demented Roth.

That is just too damned funny.

twonabomber
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Did you hear something?

footsteps, motherfucker!

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna be the first to say it.

This pisses all over 1984.

It can never replace it because I'm not a teenager any more but on every level musically, song writing, lyrics it blows it away.

Tell me you didn't.... :)

ADKOT is great, but 1984 can't be beat IMO.

sambo
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Remember 3 hours sleep is not enough to get you sober to drive FFS. :)

Carpool, 3 hours sleep, sunglasses and Van Halen... was not behind the wheel.

Zing!
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Damn - ruined my own joke by double posting...

D'oh!

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Do all you people live in Germany???

johneric8
02-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Interesting, so Dave made Eddie listen to the Chemical Bros? It doesn't really remind me of them though.. Maybe the beat I guess.. It kind of reminds me of "loss of control" or "one foot out the door".
It really sounds like something that could have been released on WACF which amazes me! These guys are pure magic together, one of the most unique sounds together I've ever witnessd. To be honest I like this album much better than 1984 because it captures so much! I can't believe how heavy it is!!! I think my least fav is Big River but I still love it!

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Guten Tag

johneric8
02-02-2012, 08:49 PM

ADKOT is great, but 1984 can't be beat IMO.

I agree that this is better than 1984. My favorite song off 1984 is "Girl Gone Bad"..

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I agree that this is better than 1984. My favorite song off 1984 is "Girl Gone Bad"..

Good Choice.

I will ignore the other thing you said. :)

So this is love
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

:doh::lmao::lmao:

Das Auto

ToraToraTora
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Spraken ze Van Halen?

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM

ADKOT is great, but 1984 can't be beat IMO.I've heard worse. On various sites people have declared that ADKOT is so good that they're throwing their copies of 1984 and Diver Down in the garbage.
They're just caught up in the excitement of the moment.
Once they've worn this one out like a $5 hooker (which, at this rate, should be sometime next week), they'll realize how outlandish their comments are.

twonabomber

don't try the schnitzel, it's made from schnauzer!

bigtrouble77

Haha, we're all German tonight!

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Guten Tag

EVH, I owe you an apology. I thought you may have been washed up.

Please don't start partying again when you hit the road. I like this Eddie better.

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
It can't because everyone is too old. :)

It's a fucking great album though much better than any of us could have hoped for.

I thanked you for this post, but you could easily be wrong about the first part...

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I've heard worse. On various sites people have declared that ADKOT is so good that they're throwing their copies of 1984 and Diver Down in the garbage.
They're just caught up in the excitement of the moment.
Once they've worn this one out like a $5 hooker (which, at this rate, should be sometime next week), they'll realize how outlandish their comments are.

Nah...

This album easily beats 1984 and Diver Down...

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Nah...

Elvis... I NEVER thoought I would say this. But Honestly...it does.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Interesting, so Dave made Eddie listen to the Chemical Bros? It doesn't really remind me of them though.. Maybe the beat I guess.. It kind of reminds me of "loss of control" or "one foot out the door".
It really sounds like something that could have been released on WACF which amazes me! These guys are pure magic together, one of the most unique sounds together I've ever witnessd. To be honest I like this album much better than 1984 because it captures so much! I can't believe how heavy it is!!! I think my least fav is Big River but I still love it!

Yeah it's mainly about the beat coming from Dave's more catholic tastes.

This has been posted elsewhere in the forum but to make the point a bit clearer.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Fof-GBun0gQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Fof-GBun0gQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

VHscraps
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Even the Guardian likes this album... :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/02/van-halen-different-truth-review?newsfeed=true

Hey, Sesh - thanks. The guy who is the editor of the The Guardian for music and film actually LOVES Van Halen. I mean seriously - he's written several pieces (one as recent as January) about how VH are - he says - the second most influential band in rock music after the Beatles. See, e.g.:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/12/van-halen-unchained?newsfeed=true (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/12/van-halen-unchained?newsfeed=true)

He's not the person who wrote this, but not suprised they'd get a positive notice from The Guardian - but good all the same. It might help non-fans pick up on this, which can only be good.

If the band's PR can make the most of this kind of positive support, it might bode well for generating interest in a UK tour ... !

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Nah...

This album easily beats 1984 and Diver Down...I'm sure it kicks unholy fuckin' ass, I have no doubt about that.
I just don't understand the need for comparison, or where that even comes from.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Nah...

Oh yeah I thought Diver Down was a given when I said it beat 1984. :)

For a start if you strip out all the filler it's three times longer than DD...

johneric8
02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah it's mainly about the beat coming from Dave's more catholic tastes.

This has been posted elsewhere in the forum but to make the point a bit clearer.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Fof-GBun0gQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Fof-GBun0gQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Wow, I had no clue! So this is a Dave song? When did he write it? Any info or links appreciated...

FORD
02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Nah...

Fuck yeah it does! I'm gonna call this the long-awaited followup to "Fair Warning". :rockon::rockit2::rockit:

SunisinuS
02-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Elbow....always a downer. A little prick on your ass.

But Elbow constitutes both.

Hermo:afro2:dyke. Hey Pimple.

Elbow on my Foot. My ankle to be precise. Not to be more precise....underneath my heal.

Your Christian wife felt good in my mouth Elbow.

bigtrouble77
02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Not sure why you guys rag on 1984 so much. It's an amazing album with phenomenal production. And somehow it went completely mainstream, but maybe that's the problem?

Diver Down, on the other hand, is by far the weakest release. The production is not good (muddy, no instrument separation, no low end, drums sound terrible), too much filler and there's no intensity. Little Guitars is a top 5 all time fav, but one song can't save an album. I really wish they used the Last Night vocal melodies on Hang Em High, but the song is still great. Other than those two songs, the album does little for me.

DONNIEP
02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I know I read here that one of the CDs came with a shirt....any truth to that?

hain23x
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Tie up your camel....!!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey, Sesh - thanks. The guy who is the editor of the The Guardian for music and film actually LOVES Van Halen. I mean seriously - he's written several pieces (one as recent as January) about how VH are - he says - the second most influential band in rock music after the Beatles. See, e.g.:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/12/van-halen-unchained?newsfeed=true (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/12/van-halen-unchained?newsfeed=true)

He's not the person who wrote this, but not suprised they'd get a positive notice from The Guardian - but good all the same. It might help non-fans pick up on this, which can only be good.

If the band's PR can make the most of this kind of positive support, it might bode well for generating interest in a UK tour ... !

Glad to see you got in there to reply to that bozo.

I wish I knew if PunkAnderson was a girl because the perfect answer to

12 January 2012 1:18PM
It may be fantastic fun being in Van Halen, but they sure are no fun to listen to.

would of course be 'Just like you darlin'

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I know I read here that one of the CDs came with a shirt....any truth to that?

I ordered my album from Wallyworld and it said it came with an XL t-shirt. They only had sizes XL and XXL. Maybe a nightshirt?

Whorehey
If Shanks and Hogarth spent six months at work with me, I think I would reach my full potential.

bigtrouble77
Wow, I had no clue! So this is a Dave song? When did he write it? Any info or links appreciated...

Did this come out during "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle"? I remember this, just don't remember from where.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Unreleased from the No Holds BBQ phase around 2001-2002.

Otherwise known as the 'We are starting to worry about Dave's sanity phase'... :)

DONNIEP
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I ordered my album from Wallyworld and it said it came with an XL t-shirt. They only had sizes XL and XXL. Maybe a nightshirt?

At least I know now I wasn't hallucinating. I knew if any of these guys had gotten a shirt with theirs they would have mentioned it... Thanks!

Grant
02-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, down here in Australia...

Last night, after a long discussion with my good mate ashstralia at stroke of midnight (mainly having good laughs and drinks over singing WARF's "Tattoo" song to ELVIS in The Dump thread), I resisted temptation to download the album and went straight to store next day...

I just finished listening to it, and without going into any nitty-gritty details over each individual track...I'll simply say that it's close to FAIR WARNING more than the others...

Folks, IT ROCKS!!!!

VAN HALEN ARE BACK!!! :flame: :theband:

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH

:hitch:

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
the verdict is in.....My wife says it rocks. so there ya go....

johneric8
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Unreleased from the No Holds BBQ phase around 2001-2002.

Otherwise known as the 'We are starting to worry about Dave's sanity phase'... :)

I guess that was around the time when his solo career was at an all time low. Ya know, I don't think Ed would have teamed up with Dave again unless he really needed to. I think after going through Hagar and Cherone he had to give old Dave a call again. The funny thing is there is no doubt Eddie was in denial in regards to Dave's legacy in the band. I remember when Hagar joined they have lots of people fooled that it was still Van Halen but I never bought that crap.

So this is love
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Your wife's in Germany??

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Still I wish I could get my career to the height of Dave's all time low. :)

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Your wife's in Germany??

It's fuggingroovin'

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Your wife's in Germany??

oh yeah...she forwarded me the mp3's. :)

johneric8
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Thought you guys would appreciate this pic, I will post more... I was in a band back in the day and of course Halen was my fav by far.. In this photo I'm the guy with the bandana on and the blond hair. This is my regular everyday wear! LOL... I had a band called Concrete Jungle and we tried to be Van Halen!! LOL.. I think this photo was taken in 83. I can say I never had problems with the girls throwin down this look !!! hahaha..

SunisinuS
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM

i am out out thanks...and if a woman in KY says it rocks.....means something.

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Thought you guys would appreciate this pic, I will post more... I was in a band back in the day and of course Halen was my fav by far.. In this photo I'm the guy with the bandana on and the blond hair. This is my regular everyday wear! LOL... I had a band called Concrete Jungle and we tried to be Van Halen!! LOL.. I think this photo was taken in 83. I can say I never had problems with the girls throwin down this look !!! hahaha..

Awesome!!!

So this is love
02-02-2012, 09:30 PM
oh yeah...she forwarded me the mp3's. :)

Lucky bastard...for the mp3s...

SunisinuS
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Medals

Total views: 3,073,211

Ratings: 21966 Comments: 31,080 Favorites: 6,226
Dislikes: 4597

Significant discovery events
Date Event Views
A
01/10/12 First embedded on – facebook.com 357,121
B
01/10/12 First referral from YouTube search – van halen tattoo 270,566
C
01/10/12 First referral from – facebook.com 134,073
D
01/10/12 First referral from a subscriber module 123,794
E
01/10/12 First referral from YouTube search – van halen 119,126
F
01/10/12 First view from a mobile device 110,930
G
01/10/12 First embedded on – msn.com 80,573
H
01/10/12 First referral from YouTube search – tattoo van halen 66,192
This video is most popular in:
More Less
Audiences
This video is most popular with:
Gender Age
Male 45-54
Male 35-44
Female 45-54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA&feature=related

All you Females out there 45-54....I am your Huckleberry.

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I would like to see what everyones fav songs are.

Here are mine.....

You and Your Blues
Blood & Fire
Chinatown
Outta Space
Big River
Beats Workin'

I like the others, but these are the ones that really stand out to me.

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
i am out out thanks...and if a women in KY says it rocks.....means something.

dude you don't know.....she's lovin' it. this album will blow your mind. it did her's.... it's that good!

Warham
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
My three favorite so far:

"Blood and Fire"
"As Is"
"She's The Woman"

johneric8
02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
One more! this is 81 I believe! Thats me trying to do the roth jump with my halen shirt!!!!

So this is love
02-02-2012, 09:38 PM

I don't know dude....???? ok enough of this crap .....Good night Germany

johneric8
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't know dude....????

Trust me dude, I had an absolute flock of girls ... Well known band, good guitar player! Trust me, easy pickens.. I know the look isnt great man.. hahaha

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Lucky bastard...for the mp3s...

LOL! dude she's sittin right here lovin' the HALEN! ;)

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Hard to say. I have been listening to them all non stop. But I do know so far that:

Bullethead: Grabs you by the balls! just a great powerful rocker!
You And Your Blues: Has an insane catchy hook.
HBSD: So strange and I cant stop replaying this one. Edward is doing some different kind of runs in the end. Almost RR sounding. Fucking love it!!
Beats Workin: OMFG! Classic sounding Halen. Has a "Feel You Love" Vibe on the chores and that bass riff before and during solo. Epic. That part reminds me of DDL ending.

neuralfraud
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
uhg..

So my Good Buddy shared a copy with me... and I may have shit myself but I don't care.

ALBUM. OF. THE. DECADE.

NO LESS.

When that CD arrives tuesday, it's getting ripped and then finding a permanent home in my car's cd changer!

I can honestly say that for the first time in such a long time that I am actually experiencing JOY.

The way dave sings in You and Your Blues is fucking amazing.

Cant say ive ever felt this good about spending money on a CD in my LIFE. The last time I was this excited, I was 13 and receiving a big ass PEAVEY amp for xmas.

Time for an analogy...and a story..

long time ago I had a nifty little car.. it was a Shelby CSX - a turbo DODGE. Nice little hatchback. I had a gigantic intercooler in that thing and beefy injectors; stuffed 22 PSI into that 2.2L. One day while returning from the beach with my (then) girlfriend, we came to a stop light and lo and behold, a staunchy looking old guy in a Honda S2000 with a chick lookin young enough to be his grandaugther riding shotgun. Light turns green and he guns it.. no contest. I blew his fucking doors off.

He spent the rest of the trip alongside me well, not really alongside as much as maintaining a FAR distance.

This album is a sleeper. Who could have possibly expected these washed up hacks to produce this FUCKING STELLAR MASTERPIECE? If I were spambo I'd just crawl under a fucking ROCK because he's been RUINED.

The delusional one will still tell the world he's better though.. just wait for it

Wow.

It's rock and roll, blues and sludgy metal and heavy metal all in once and yet 110% VAN HALEN.

And listening to this fuckin album sure beats workin ;)

VHscraps
02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Glad to see you got in there to reply to that bozo.

I wish I knew if PunkAnderson was a girl because the perfect answer to

would of course be 'Just like you darlin'

I can only wonder what distracting shenanigans your mod work involves, Sesh - but that that is ... a gnomic utterance, if not ... even ... Delphic. But, hey, fuck the ancient mythology crap - this is VH. I'm cool with it, man.

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I had to listen to it on You Tube, I could not handle it anymore, I broke. ....Although I feel bad about it, almost like I blew my wad on a hot ass chick before I stuck it in. Oh well, I will still buy my CD when the time comes and listen to it like its the first time. :thumb:

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Dude, you brought me back.

I sold my 1987 Turbo-T. 21-22lbs of boost in my intercooled 3.8L, man those were fun times.

I wish I never sold it, I could be kickin' in that car crankin' VFH!!! :(

uhg..

So my Good Buddy shared a copy with me... and I may have shit myself but I don't care.

ALBUM. OF. THE. DECADE.

NO LESS.

When that CD arrives tuesday, it's getting ripped and then finding a permanent home in my car's cd changer!

I can honestly say that for the first time in such a long time that I am actually experiencing JOY.

The way dave sings in You and Your Blues is fucking amazing.

Cant say ive ever felt this good about spending money on a CD in my LIFE. The last time I was this excited, I was 13 and receiving a big ass PEAVEY amp for xmas.

Time for an analogy...and a story..

long time ago I had a nifty little car.. it was a Shelby CSX - a turbo DODGE. Nice little hatchback. I had a gigantic intercooler in that thing and beefy injectors; stuffed 22 PSI into that 2.2L. One day while returning from the beach with my (then) girlfriend, we came to a stop light and lo and behold, a staunchy looking old guy in a Honda S2000 with a chick lookin young enough to be his grandaugther riding shotgun. Light turns green and he guns it.. no contest. I blew his fucking doors off.

He spent the rest of the trip alongside me well, not really alongside as much as maintaining a FAR distance.

This album is a sleeper. Who could have possibly expected these washed up hacks to produce this FUCKING STELLAR MASTERPIECE? If I were spambo I'd just crawl under a fucking ROCK because he's been RUINED.

The delusional one will still tell the world he's better though.. just wait for it

Wow.

It's rock and roll, blues and sludgy metal and heavy metal all in once and yet 110% VAN HALEN.

And listening to this fuckin album sure beats workin ;)

hambon4lif
02-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Still I wish I could get my career to the height of Dave's all time low. :)LOL! I'll drink to that!

Say what you will about the Vegas trip, the state fairs, the radio show, and every other left-hand turn he made with his career. The entire time he was away from Van Halen, the guy kept working his ass off and keeping his name out there. You never had to wonder where he was or what he was up to for too long, especially when the summertime came around. He always had something going.
He was going to keep fighting until the Dutchies finally came to their senses, no matter how fucking long it was gonna take.

When he says "told ya' I was comin' back", it's impossible not to raise your glass and salute that.

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I had to listen to it on You Tube, I could not handle it anymore, I broke. ....Although I feel bad about it, almost like I blew my wad on a hot ass chick before I stuck it in. Oh well, I will still buy my CD when the time comes and listen to it like its the first time. :thumb:

Look at it this way, dude. There's a DVD and liner notes to enjoy on Tuesday. :clap:

If the fucking DVD contents don't go viral by then..

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
LOL! I'll drink to that!

Say what you will about the Vegas trip, the state fairs, the radio show, and every other left-hand turn he made with his career. The entire time he was away from Van Halen, the guy kept working his ass off and keeping his name out there. You never had to wonder where he was or what he was up to for too long, especially when the summertime came around. He always had something going.
He was going to keep fighting until the Dutchies finally came to their senses, no matter how fucking long it was gonna take.

When he says "told ya' I was comin' back", it's impossible not to raise your glass and salute that.

When he says that in Blood & Fire, it raises the hairs on my arm. The song is too cool and the lyrics so true.

The guy never packed it in. God Bless you Dave, they only made one of you. One of a kind!!!

bru87tr
02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Look at it this way, dude. There's a DVD and liner notes to enjoy on Tuesday. :clap:

If the fucking DVD contents don't go viral by then..

Should I post the liner notes and ruin it for him, or would I get in trouble ? :)

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
As Is is a beast!!!.....Holy shit.....Honeybabysweetiedoll will swallow you up and spit you out in another dimension....what a bad ass, powerful, groove.....almost can't describe the sound on that tune....has to be heard. Bullethead is just downright mean and has the same lyrical fury of Atomic Punk....Outta space is a steamroller....Stay frosty has not one but two kick ass guitar solos and a monster, old school kick ass drawn out VH ending, Big River and Beats Working have these catchy as fuck almost 1970's sounding choruses, Blood and fire and trouble with never are both incredible as most of us here already have heard the full tunes, She's the woman rocks just as hard as it always has, China Town will tear your face off, you and your blues is a solid, well written rock and roll tune.....the biggest surprise about that tune was watching the dvd.....the downtown session version of you and your blues is fuckin incredible.....Wolf can sing his balls off...speaking of downtown session....classic Diamond Dave....that's all I can say....he tells a story or two and one that was especially funny. Tattoo is tattoo....I have no problem with it at all....This album will kick your ass.....fuckin VH....unbelievable.....

78/84 guy
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Still I wish I could get my career to the height of Dave's all time low. :)

I think his only low for me was his Filthy Mouth tour. The band was lame in so many ways !! Dave forgot who he was !! I did like some of that album. Hell even in his book he admited it wasn't his best. I don't mind he tried the Vegas thing. He had balls doing that. His look was stupid. I remember him on Jay Leno going really ?? Hell Ed said the same thing and brought him in for the 96 tunes so that was a good move on Ed's part for Dave. His band with Brian Young was fantastic just before the VH reunion.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
LOL! I'll drink to that!

I've seen him play to 1500 and 15 000 and if anything he worked harder with the smaller crowd and smiled more too.

That's why he is where he is, he deserves it.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I think his only low for me was his Filthy Mouth tour. The band was lame in so many ways !! Dave forgot who he was !! I did like some of that album.

Yeah I agree. The album was ok but I really didn't like that show.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
When he says that in Blood & Fire, ("I told you I was coming back") it raises the hairs on my arm. !

That is one of the sexiest things I have ever heard from Roth: "I told you I was comin' back.......Say you missed me......SAY IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT..."

Girl shivers.

78/84 guy
02-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Well his hand was fucked halfway through the last tour and I would bet they jammed alot in the last few years with Wolf on their ass to play !!

ashstralia
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
just did the hour round trip... with adkot blasting all the way home

HOLY SNAPPIN DUCKSHIT BATMAN!!

i have at least 5 new favourite songs.
i'm glad i waited.

fifth element
02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
My three favorite so far:

"Blood and Fire"
"As Is"
"She's The Woman"

Mine are:
"The Trouble With Never"
"Big River"
"Tattoo"
"Blood and Fire"

but since I have not heard all of the songs in entirety yet, this is open to change.

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Should I post the liner notes and ruin it for him, or would I get in trouble ? :)

Haha! Nothing can ruin it but thanks anyway. :beers8:

gbranton
02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Mine are:
"The Trouble With Never"
"Big River"
"Tattoo"
"Blood and Fire"

Mine are:

"Stay Frosty"
"Outta Space"
"Honeybabysweetiedoll"
"She's the Woman"
"The Trouble With Never"

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
HoneyBabySweetieDoll...holy hell!

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Well his hand was fucked halfway through the last tour and I would bet they jammed alot in the last few years with Wolf on their ass to play !!

Yeah that doesn't really explain the dip from 1986 to 2008 though... :)

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
This waiting thing is like keeping your virginity til you're married.

SNIPER
02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
HoneyBabySweetieDoll...holy hell!

I know, right!? Has like a Rob Zombie thing to it too in a couple parts imo.

Yount
02-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah I just pressed play!!!!!!!!!!!!! My God!!!!!!!

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Fuck yeah it does! I'm gonna call this the long-awaited followup to "Fair Warning". :rockon::rockit2::rockit:

Amen brother !!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
This waiting thing is like keeping your virginity til you're married.

How would you know? ;)

ashstralia
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
when the tab book comes out, it's gonna look like the rosetta stone.

there is SO MUCH intense guitar on this album... as is...

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
How would you know? ;)

Wait, she's not a virgin? :jaw:

neuralfraud
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
DUDE! I should have guessed ... 87TR.. duh..

I owned 2 grand nationals - longtime member of turbobuick.com ;)

wow.

The CSX was after the 'nationals though but man what a fun car.

Dude, you brought me back.

I sold my 1987 Turbo-T. 21-22lbs of boost in my intercooled 3.8L, man those were fun times.

I wish I never sold it, I could be kickin' in that car crankin' VFH!!! :(

Whatta car. Nothing beats a classy american car with muscle... and nothing beats a turbo.

DiverDowninKy
02-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Oh yeah dude.... it's like really? no they didn't. but yeah...they did!

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Man, the whole album kicks ass but HoneyBaby just has this thing to it that I haven't been able to really find the right words for yet.....Just so powerful and cosmic....I think people just have to hear it to really understand the feel of that particular tune. Really catches you off guard and kicks your ass untill it ends....definitely a dark tune...I don't know why, it certainly doesn't have the same pace or beat but it reminds me of One Foot Out The Door.

Yount
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I've waited so many years. Nobody is cooler than Dave led Van Halen. All those other bands can say goodbye to my ears for a while. China Town following You And Your Blues just has to be heard. Wooooo!

78/84 guy
Yeah that doesn't really explain the dip from 1986 to 2008 though... :)

Well he was writing music for Hag & Gar !!! I'd be bored too !! Dave & Wolf kicked these guys in the ass !! Wolf might have been a few years too early but he was in on what we have coming next week !!

ELVIS
Hey, I love the fucking heavy songs so fucking much...

But having had Blood and Fire for quite a few days on my computer and iphone...I dunno man...

That song is so fucking good it brings tears to my eyes at times...

Dave is so fucking strong that you totally forget it's that Ripley song underneath...

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
How would you know? ;)

I understood the concept. OK?

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:41 PM
The youtube comments are kick-ass as well...

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM

But said fuck it...

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Besides, weren't you just hitting on me last night?

Or was I hitting on you? I can't remember.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
But said fuck it...

Quite literally!

Seshmeister

But having had Blood and Fire for quite a few days on my computer and iphone...I dunno man...

Dave is so fucking strong that you totally forget it's that Ripley song underneath...

It's not just that for me it really brought home what a fucking amazing song writer he is.

For him to take that music and come up with that vocal melody is close to genius.

78/84 guy
Oh yeah I just pressed play!!!!!!!!!!!!! My God!!!!!!!

You guys suck !! Isn't this an American band !!?? Just kidding. Enjoy. I'm already sold on what is out.

ashstralia
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Man, the whole album kicks ass but HoneyBaby just has this thing to it that I haven't been able to really find the right words for yet.....Just so powerful and cosmic....I think people just have to hear it to really understand the feel of that particular tune. Really catches you off guard and kicks your ass untill it ends....definitely a dark tune...I don't know why, it certainly doesn't have the same pace or beat but it reminds me of One Foot Out The Door.

i'm on my 4th listen... HBSD seems to be tuned down to C, and there's lots of weird phrygian dominant/harmonic minor going on with an octaver.

for the muso's :)

Whorehey
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Nobody is cooler than Dave led Van Halen.

Is it me, or at the end of the solo in "Blood and Fire" does Dave yell "Hollaback"?

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
It's not just that for me it really brought home what a fucking amazing song writer he is.

For him to take that music and come up with that vocal melody is close to genius.

Yeah man!

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM

I feel you on this one bro....I absolutely enjoyed every tune for different reasons. Blood And Fire just feels and sounds like what we were suppsed to hear after 1984....kinda takes you back mentally to that point in your life...IMO anyway....definitely brings on some emotion listening to it....that's a tune you can easily hear getting regular radio aiplay along side CVH tunes we have been hearing on the radio for the last 30 + years.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
i'm on my 4th listen... HBSD

Oh fuck here come the new acronyms, gimme a minute to get up to speed...

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
i'm on my 4th listen... HBSD seems to be tuned down to C, and there's lots of weird phrygian dominant/harmonic minor going on with an octaver.

for the muso's :)

Y'know I always wondered if some of Ed's problems on the 2007-8 tour had to do with the songs being tuned down for Dave's voice. Anybody else have thoughts on that?

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Y'know I always wondered if some of Ed's problems on the 2007-8 tour had to do with the songs being tuned down for Dave's voice. Anybody else have thoughts on that?

Ed's problem was he was fucking wasted.

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
It's time to shut the lights, strap on the headphones and listen to this cd AGAIN.........Goodnite all you cool fuckers of the Roth Army.

ThatArtGuy
It's just sooooooooooo good. Speechless.

DiverDowninKy
holy shit! I just gotta say. this album is un-f*ckin-real! 28 years I've waited for this and I'm blown away by it.

ThatArtGuy
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
No !@#$ing words.

ELVIS

No, not at all...

Ed was fresh out of rehab following a multi-year drug and alcohol binge (been there done that).

Now that Ed has been clean and sober he's ON FIRE !!!!!!!

ashstralia
dunno whorehey, could be 'more like dat!'

Seshmeister
Yeah man!

I'm struggling through the process at the moment, with us throwing out 5 for every one we keep which is how it should be.

It's always struck me how ridiculous it is that most hard rock band people spend hundreds of hours on the 10 seconds of the guitar solo and 5 minutes on the vocal melody which is pretty much is all that matters.

Chickenshit for example.

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
No !@#$ing words.

OH PLEASE stop with the anti cursing lettering! Say FUCKING and say it proud. We're the Roth Army after all!

Sensible Shoes
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
a multi-year drug and alcohol binge (been there done that).

Really sorry to hear that - glad you got through it OK!

gbranton
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
OH PLEASE stop with the anti cursing lettering! Say FUCKING and say it proud. We're the Roth Army after all!

One of the resons I like it here.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM

No that is a complete myth going back to 5150.

When Roth left one of the stupid quotes that came out, from Alex and Eddie was that tuning down a step for Roth caused Ed a problem because it made the strings slack.

I've posted before about this. There are a few reasons it annoyed me.

1) It treated the Van Halen fan base as morons. A third of any Van Halen crowd played guitar and knew that was a nonsense.
2) Many many bands tune down not for vocal reasons which it doesn't make much difference to but to sound heavier.
3) EEAS wasn't tuned down.
4) 5150 was.

Ludicrous.

ELVIS
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Really sorry to hear that - glad you got through it OK!

I'm good baby!!!

New wife, new Van Halen !!!

Life IS GOOD!!!