PDA

View Full Version : Alex Van Halen's drums on ADKOT

Mushroom
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
So what do you think? DRUMmers, what do you notice? I'm a guitar player, not a drummer. First I noted Alex plays a lot of double bass passages. This is the hardest rocking VH record, it's epic and I love it!!

Rikk
02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Alex is playing core Alex style playing. I'm a drummer (not as good as Alex by any measure...but I know what to listen to). His playing is amazing. CHINA TOWN and other songs just show how little the man has lost. He sounds EXACTLY like the Alex of old. It's like he and Eddie woke up from a deep sleep.

Where the hell was this kind of playing for all those years of Sammy Hagar albums?

SNIPER
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Alex has the quality I expect out of drummers I jam with. He has set the standards to me on how a drummer should play. There is something to his playing that just has a fullness to it that you can't really explain but you know it's there. Even when I was 12 I knew Alex had his own thing like Eddie and thats just part of what makes them the best band in the world.

Panamark
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Thoughout their entire career, Al never faltered.
(Maybe with wives, never with drums !)
Probably the most consistent, reliable and professional
out of the lot of them. I dont think he ever dropped the ball.

When we heard about this new album, I knew Al would deliver,
he always does. Wasnt so sure about the others, thankfull all
involved excelled.

I still think Al is a as good a drummer as the late John Bonham.

Zing!
02-07-2012, 07:44 AM
From what I've heard - I'm amazed, and deliriously happy at Al's sound. Very reminiscent of his 6-pack years - I'm not a drummer, but I would wager this has to do with his stripped-down, bare bones set he's using. A conscience effort to do more with less - and boy does he ever! Right up there with Bonzo in my opinion as one of the greatest rock drummers ever.

sambo
02-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Agree with Panamark... but if I ever needed proof (again)...Blood and Fire was the home run for me. Don't know but something about the first 90 seconds is just way cool Al.

There's "bigger" songs on here, but this is GOOD..

Played it for a ex-band mate of mine... first thing he mentioned was the drums.. and he's not the drummer either.

(song just finished, next song - Bullethead... yep Al is doing great, then As If is next if you needed further convincing). ;)

fourthcoming
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm a drummer here also.....not some delusional jerkoff who thinks he's the second coming of John Bonham....but what I noticed and what I always loved was Alex's use of his ride symbol bell. He is great at nailing the bell on off beats and it sounds great. This cd can really be appreciated with headphones....there is so much going on that you can hear with headphones. Al has so many fills and Ed has so much going on that sounds great when blasting out of kick ass sound systems but sometimes get lost without headphones. Double bass is killer on this cd too but overall I love the sound of his drums, the tuning of them and his toms sound great. Remember those rediculous electronic drums on 5150? wow....thank god we are a long way from that. Listening to this cd on headphones....especially on Honeybabysweetiedoll you can also hear alot of shit that's hard to hear on a stereo....especially a few things Dave is saying....one more thing about the headphones....there is alot of underlying vocals that are easier to hear and Wolf's lines are damn good too. Sorry....this thread was about Al's drumming so I'll shut the fuck up and wrap it up......he's still got it...that's all I have to say.

Hummarstra
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
What do you guys think of the sound of his kit on this album? And how it's mixed, EQ'd, etc?

Calderone
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
kicked my balls real hard , guys do this ...

Listen full disc one time paying attention to the vocals ...
Listen full disc one time paying attention to the bass ...
Listen full disc one time paying attention to the guitars ...
Listen full disc one time paying attention to the drums...
Listen full disc one time paying attention to the small details ...
Listen full disc one time paying attention to the harmonies ...

6 times fun !!!! This is a GREAT album !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Headphones are a must !!!

jhale667
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Agree this thing is ROCKIN' via headphones...there's SO much going on...!

ELVIS
02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Yep!

Alex sounds better than ever...

Better than Bonzo as well...

:elvis:

SNIPER
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
What do you guys think of the sound of his kit on this album? And how it's mixed, EQ'd, etc?

Are you saying you think the kick is a little muddy? :gossip:

Chong Li
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I am no drummer, but I have always felt Alex is underrated if that is possible. The guy is really good- all his fills, cymbal work, double bass, speed, sound, tone...everything.

Of course, with Hagar he played those synth drums but those were the times.

Blood and Fire--Classic Alex drumming!!!!!!

SNIPER
02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Thoughout their entire career, Al never faltered.
(Maybe with wives, never with drums !)
Probably the most consistent, reliable and professional
out of the lot of them. I dont think he ever dropped the ball.

When we heard about this new album, I knew Al would deliver,
he always does. Wasnt so sure about the others, thankfull all
involved excelled.

I still think Al is a as good a drummer as the late John Bonham.

I agree that Alex never dropped the ball he is ALWAYS 100 percent and I agree about the JB thing too. But there was a few albums in the late 80's and 90's where he played fucking great but you can tell he was bored and on auto pilot. I am sure that had something to do with the shitty music though.

don don
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I, too, am a drummer. In other words, I beat the hell out of them to blow off some steam. I've had Ludwigs and Tamas. Currently play an old Slingerland set. I have always loved Al's playing especially that awesome, instantly recognizable snare sound. I'll be curious if he'll play the double bass set in the Tattoo video or the single bass with a double pedal. Either way, he kicks ass, no doubt. Glad his neck has been better than it was back several years ago. He plays a physical style, similar, but not quite as hard as John Bonham. But the intricate timing signatures are similar to the thinking outside the box style of drumming I love. Van Halen is back with a vengeance. They all sound phenomenal and the mix is A+++++.

fourthcoming
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
My first set was an old slingerland set.....loved it till it burned in a house fire!!!!! Ludwig now. I keep repeating myself on various forums but listening to this cd with headphones is the way to go. You can hear so much more of Al's playing and everyone for that matter.

LUDWIG USA
02-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I Really like the drum sound that Al has on the new album! He went back to a true acoustic sound, lots of steam and ping on the cymbals although the hi hats sound a little bit dryer than usual, the kicks sound good and his snare has that same distinct tone that I've always loved and tried to achieve on my snare. The only thing I could ask for would be a little more low end on the floor toms, I like to feel those floor toms hit me like hard body blows.
The electronic drums have run their coarse and I'm glad that Al didn't use any on this album, he did everything that could be done with them, I like what he did with them better than any other drummers that tried to introduce them into their sound.

private parts
02-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm a drummer here also.....not some delusional jerkoff who thinks he's the second coming of John Bonham....but what I noticed and what I always loved was Alex's use of his ride symbol bell. He is great at nailing the bell on off beats and it sounds great. This cd can really be appreciated with headphones....there is so much going on that you can hear with headphones. Al has so many fills and Ed has so much going on that sounds great when blasting out of kick ass sound systems but sometimes get lost without headphones. Double bass is killer on this cd too but overall I love the sound of his drums, the tuning of them and his toms sound great. Remember those rediculous electronic drums on 5150? wow....thank god we are a long way from that. Listening to this cd on headphones....especially on Honeybabysweetiedoll you can also hear alot of shit that's hard to hear on a stereo....especially a few things Dave is saying....one more thing about the headphones....there is alot of underlying vocals that are easier to hear and Wolf's lines are damn good too. Sorry....this thread was about Al's drumming so I'll shut the fuck up and wrap it up......he's still got it...that's all I have to say.

That's it. I'm getting a set of headphones pronto. What do you recommend brand wise. Bose?...

Jagermeister
02-11-2012, 10:13 PM
So what do you think? DRUMmers, what do you notice? I'm a guitar player, not a drummer. First I noted Alex plays a lot of double bass passages. This is the hardest rocking VH record, it's epic and I love it!!

I guess I am too old school. I think I can start 25 threads in 15 minutes. What do you think VA? :winkglasses:

chippertherippe
02-12-2012, 07:14 AM
His best playing in years.Hope he gains some well deserved recognition from this record..

Zing!
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Alex kills on this disk - part of the reason you have to listen to this record LOUD. Crank 'Honeybabysweetiedoll' up to 11 and its mindblowing.