PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Ed and Al enjoy playing with Dave again or is this all about the money?

dave_is_vh
02-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Do you think Ed and Al enjoy playing with Dave again or is this all about the money?

I would like to think that Ed and Al enjoy having Dave back in the band. Hopefully Ed and Al are saying to themselves "this Van Halen is the real Van Halen, and the Van Halen I love most".

Or is this about money and nothing else to them?

Antman
02-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I would hope they really want him in the band. But the money does help I'm sure.

sadaist
02-10-2012, 12:25 AM
As far as I can tell from everything I have seen, Eddie is genuine about loving Dave being back. As for Alex, I'm not so sure. Might be money, for Eddie, just to keep the band going since there really are no other options but Dave now. I don't know. It's really hard to see Alex behind those drums if he is enjoying it or just punching in/out every night. I will say that his drum work on the new album is insanely good.

Here's hoping!

*oooh, actually last tour around there was a pic of Al & Dave together with a graphic designer kid before they announced the tour. They both looked happy to be around each other then.

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
I know the Van Halen's are maybe not the smartest but Eddie is valued at $85 million and has lived in the same house for 30 years and used to drink cheap wine.

He would need to be fucking crazy to do this tour for the money...

sadaist
02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I know the Van Halen's are maybe not the smartest but Eddie is valued at $85 million and has lived in the same house for 30 years and used to drink cheap wine.

Oh no. Eddie is out to prove to everyone that he can play that fiddle better than the Devil. He's fucking possessed. This album is a FUCK YOU statement to everyone the last 5,6,7,8 years since the crap Hagar tour of 2004 that said he had lost it. He was done. it was over.

And we reap the rewards.

Nitro Express
02-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Oh no. Eddie is out to prove to everyone that he can play that fiddle better than the Devil. He's fucking possessed. This album is a FUCK YOU statement to everyone the last 5,6,7,8 years since the crap Hagar tour of 2004 that said he had lost it. He was done. it was over.

And we reap the rewards.

Ed and Al already ate chicken feet for lunch. Sam knows it too, that's why he's been such a whiny wind bag lately.

DlocRoth
02-10-2012, 12:51 AM
It looks real to these eyes.

Speaking of which.... Where the FUCK is EOTN???????

Nitro Express
02-10-2012, 12:55 AM
As far as I can tell from everything I have seen, Eddie is genuine about loving Dave being back. As for Alex, I'm not so sure. Might be money, for Eddie, just to keep the band going since there really are no other options but Dave now. I don't know. It's really hard to see Alex behind those drums if he is enjoying it or just punching in/out every night. I will say that his drum work on the new album is insanely good.

Here's hoping!

*oooh, actually last tour around there was a pic of Al & Dave together with a graphic designer kid before they announced the tour. They both looked happy to be around each other then.

The only members of Van Halen I ever met were Mike and Al. I actually got to shoot the BS with Al for awhile in 84. He seemed like he just enjoyed being more of a normal guy than the big star. He also seemed to have an old school work ethic thing to him. I think he's a simple uncomplicated person who takes being a musician very seriously and works at it. I never met Eddie but Al just seemed to be more of a task master than Eddie was. Al is a pro and it shows in his drumming. I don't think I've ever heard the guy ever make a mistake.

Yount
02-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the guy ever make a mistake.

Say it man! Alex is overlooked by fans and media.

"Yo Eddie, Joe Cockhead from Dickspin Magazine, could you spare a few minutes? Hey! Ed. Could you... Who the fuck are you, oh, the drummer, that's nice, Eddie! Edward! Over here!"

So underrated. I thought he was great even through the Hagar years.

Nitro Express
02-10-2012, 01:55 AM
I don't think Al ever was jealous of all Ed's attention. One thing I did notice about Al is backstage he will rush around a lot so it is hard for people to pin him down and talk with him. I don't think he means to be a prick but he's just not into the fame. He did tell me what he really enjoyed was playing his instrument and seeing it make people have a good time. He said that was the best feeling ever is you could make people have fun like that. He just plain likes to play. I don't think he's into the whole PR marketing trip of it.

Yount
02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
You just know he works as hard, if not harder at his craft than Eddie.

DlocRoth
02-10-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't think Al ever was jealous of all Ed's attention. One thing I did notice about Al is backstage he will rush around a lot so it is hard for people to pin him down and talk with him. I don't think he means to be a prick but he's just not into the fame. He did tell me what he really enjoyed was playing his instrument and seeing it make people have a good time. He said that was the best feeling ever is you could make people have fun like that. He just plain likes to play. I don't think he's into the whole PR marketing trip of it.

Clearly. When do you see Al sans shades?

He aint a fame whore.

Yount
02-10-2012, 02:05 AM
But then again I hear he likes to cut loose too. And he always wears those sunnies! So many photos you see he looks pretty content, pretty toasty. :smiley-sniffer::bingesmoking::nose-picking::drum::stoned-smiley::gulp: :popcorn:

Nitro Express
02-10-2012, 02:13 AM
I heard he was a really wild fuck in the day. I must have caught him on an off day. I was a day hire for the road crew and he came into the crew catering area to get some pasta. He said he always eats pasta before a show to get his energy up. There was some huge fat guy working venue security and he just came into the VH catering area and started dishing up some food for himself. Alex laughed and said he better get his before that fat guy eats it all.

Yount
02-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Cool! I find his humour hit and miss sometimes.
Wasn't he the kind of guy who would just hook up with a carload of people and go get crazy at backyard parties? That's amazing!
Gotta be the best part about "big, early, adulation and fame"

GreenBayLA
02-10-2012, 03:24 AM
I haven't seen Ed genuinely smile like that since well 1984. Al is hard to read, he looks barely there on the unplugged material but maybe he's a bit out of his element on bongos.

Dave's Bitch
02-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Would like to think they do yes but honestly i could care less if it was all about the money.I have a new Van Halen CD with David Lee Roth.I am happy with it

Golden AWe
02-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Well you can see that they really enjoy the music with him, if nothing else.

Glitter Tot
02-10-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't think any of them are strapped for cash. DLR may have been a few years back, but the 2007/08 tour would have seen an end to that. Sounds like he's quite cozy in his 20 bedroom Pasadena home.

I doubt EVH even thinks about money anymore. No, this is about redemption and finishing up on a high note. Completing unfinished business and reclaiming some respect in the music world.

Not to mention the thrill.

kingedward
02-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Exactly, As mentioned before, I think Wolfgang got his old man off his ass, A kind of "Let's Get Out There And Show The World Van Halen Is Still Around". I truly think the VH family wanted to mend the Dave fence. This ain't about cash. They want to show the Chickenfoot's of the world, We are the most kick ass 4 piece band in the world, Look what we can still do, So fuck off. I think ego had a big part in this, At least Dave/Ed's. Hell even Wolf had something to prove. So, What happens, They deliver THE greatest fuck'n rock album in at least 10 years. So it worked out, They can again say, We are fucking VAN HALEN. I think it's as simple as, They wanted to be a band again, Not just any band, A building-fell-on-your-head rock band. Boy, Did we get one.

binnie
02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
It's too simple to equate things to 'money'.

Ed and Alex could have made decent bank going on the road with Hagar - or even another singer. Not the kind of money they're making here, but still more than most of us could dream of.

This is about a bunch of guys pushing 60 trying to get along and answer the 'what if' question: age is more vital than money.

Glitter Tot
02-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Perhaps also some acceptance of the fact that they're never going to find a singer they permanently gel with. What they seem to have done is let go of their concerns about what their singer says and does, allowing him do his job while they do theirs. And who better to take that position than the person who has craved it more than any other person on the planet. The man with more energy, determination and hunger to prove himself than any other possible candidate. Plus, the overwhelming fan favorite choice. I sense that the Van Halen's have relaxed and simply accept that Dave is the front man and highly proficient and doing his share of the work, whether they like the guy or not. Meanwhile they can concentrate on what matters most to them, the music.

Dave's Bitch
02-10-2012, 07:20 AM

Ed and Alex could have made decent bank going on the road with Hagar - or even another singer. Not the kind of money they're making here, but still more than most of us could dream of.

This is about a bunch of guys pushing 60 trying to get along and answer the 'what if' question: age is more vital than money.

I think that is it right there more than anything else.Probably had a few demons in the basement for a while and just thought "I wonder if the magic is still there".They look like they just want to kick back and make fun music,have some fun.Who is more fun to make music with,David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
"Genuine" is the proper way to describe it....

And trust me, this exact topic was one of the main things I was looking for at the Forum show....

Every interaction was unforced, it was genuine, and it was fucking fantastic to see....

clarathecarrot
02-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Perhaps also some acceptance of the fact that they're never going to find a singer they permanently gel with. What they seem to have done is let go of their concerns about what their singer says and does, allowing him do his job while they do theirs. And who better to take that position than the person who has craved it more than any other person on the planet. The man with more energy, determination and hunger to prove himself than any other possible candidate. Plus, the overwhelming fan favorite choice. I sense that the Van Halen's have relaxed and simply accept that Dave is the front man and highly proficient and doing his share of the work, whether they like the guy or not. Meanwhile they can concentrate on what matters most to them, the music.

I have wanted to touch on that thought also, I believe DLRs' attention to detail has given Ed the oportunity to become a little less controlling of every aspect of a tour and new record.
He may actually be able to enjoy sharing some control and realising it isn't healthy to be everything at all times.
Now I also hope DLR can delegate a little, to maximize his, get down live.
I see a mature band not so much in competition with each other to the point of implosion.

Clicking on all cylinders a few shows down the line.

Bitching about the rehearsals is like not giving a new TV show a few shows to get thier speed up.

Roth On.

Sensible Shoes
02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I get the impression that the work relationship is good and genuine, but they still don't want to be best buddies off stage. Their lives have gone in very different directions. And that's fine, how many people do you know at work that you want to hang out with on a regular basis? You can get some great projects done together and bond over that, but the Christmas party is the only time you want to see these people socially, and then not so much maybe.

Matt White
02-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Clearly. When do you see Al sans shades?

http://209.160.41.119/ds_img_direct.php?i=shempport.jpeg&t=8&d=jssf4gkb2a&x=360&y=480&l1=271&l2=40

jhale667
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
"Genuine" is the proper way to describe it....

And trust me, this exact topic was one of the main things I was looking for at the Forum show....

Every interaction was unforced, it was genuine, and it was fucking fantastic to see....

I felt the same way at the Henson gig, and like you I was close enough to see the interaction (and the stage was low enough that I saw a smiling Al peek out from behind the kit a few times). That's the word I'd use - genuine. They REALLY seem to be enjoying themselves, it doesn't seem forced.

Dave got them all (along with the audience) to crack up at one point with "OK, one more paramedic joke and I'll STFU about that sh*t guys, but this kinda reminds me of 'Mr. Rodriguez - can you tell us -HOW MANY OF YOUR FINGERS ARE WE HOLDING UP?'" :lmao:

I remember (and have mentioned here before) when I saw them in '84 it seemed kinda forced, like Eddie didn't want to be there and was phoning it in... the vibe was head and shoulders above my memory of that night... tons of smiles and laughter. It was great to see.

Luke D
02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I hope so, but it's so hard to read those 2. Ed's been smiling a lot, but is it a "I'm so happy we're a band again!" smile, or a "I'm gonna rip your head off and shit down your throat" smile :)

vandeleur
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I honestly think initially it was about the legacy ...ed wanted to set the young un up in the family business......Luckily by that time dave had mellowed abit and ed was struggling to stay on the wagon but pulled thru
I think they got together and to me it looks like they remembered how good they were as a band ... cos from what am seeing 10 years ago this wouldnt have been possible .. but the looks on ed and daves faces says this is fun and the cd couldnt be as good as it if it was all " heavy lifting"

dave_is_vh
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Actually I believe that if any of these people have financial problems it is the Van Halens, not Dave. I believe that Dave invested much more of the money he made over the years as compared to the VH brothers. Also Dave was from a wealthy family. Dave's house alone is probably worth $8 million and I believe that he owns it free and clear. Al and Ed are not as smart as Dave. Ed has been through a divorce and Al through many divorces. While they all have made a lot of money over the years they also live in very expensive homes in a very materialistic city. I am sure that they live the good life and go through cash quickly. Personally I would doubt that either of the Van Halens are worth much more than $15 million excluding their houses. That may sound like a lot of money but we are talking about people that live in LA and have a celebrity lifestyle.

Personally I think the tour and album are primarily about money, but that all of the band members (especially Wolf) are now mature enough to appreciate the magic of the band and what each person brings to the band individually.

I don't think any of them are strapped for cash. DLR may have been a few years back, but the 2007/08 tour would have seen an end to that. Sounds like he's quite cozy in his 20 bedroom Pasadena home.

I doubt EVH even thinks about money anymore. No, this is about redemption and finishing up on a high note. Completing unfinished business and reclaiming some respect in the music world.

Not to mention the thrill.

So this is love
02-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Do you think Ed and Al enjoy playing with Dave again or is this all about the money?

I would like to think that Ed and Al enjoy having Dave back in the band. Hopefully Ed and Al are saying to themselves "this Van Halen is the real Van Halen, and the Van Halen I love most".

Or is this about money and nothing else to them?

Money, Money....nothing else for me...and frankly there were no other options for them sisters than DLR...

So this is love
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM

That's what they sell you to believe. Van Halen is a cash cow always been and always will be.

sadaist
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Al is hard to read, he looks barely there on the unplugged material but maybe he's a bit out of his element on bongos.

Yeah. It feels like he is the only 1 that isn't in to it. Just there cause the other 3 are. I kept watching for a smile or even singing along to a chorus....nothing.

redozzman
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Everybody knows they did it for the fans!!!:peep: In all honesty I think Wolfie is the reason more so than anything else. As in the other thread three cheers for the Wolf!!!!!!

SNIPER
02-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Everybody knows they did it for the fans!!!:peep: In all honesty I think Wolfie is the reason more so than anything else. As in the other thread three cheers for the Wolf!!!!!!

Wolf just may be the smartest person in the music biz! Add another 100 million plus because of him. :baaa:

dave_is_vh
02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah. It feels like he is the only 1 that isn't in to it. Just there cause the other 3 are. I kept watching for a smile or even singing along to a chorus....nothing.

I agree. Dave is obviously loving it. Wolf is having a good time. Ed really seems to enjoy it. But Al seems like some corporate guy going to the office because he has to.

Jagermeister
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM
A better question in my mind would be. Can they keep it together?

perrin29
02-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I've been watching all the videos and I see a lot of smiling coming from behind the drum kit. Alex seems to be having fun with the music and Dave being out front. Money plays a factor in everything these guys do but they are definitely out to re-claim the throne. The last tour might have been viewed as nostalgia but with the new record and the fire in the shows show far...this is a good ol' fashioned conquering!

Btw, haven't heard a lot from Spammy lately. Good thing. Any crap from his side of the fence and it will be perceived as ego and jealousy which makes him and Chickenfoot look like Chickenshit.

So this is love
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
A better question in my mind would be. Can they keep it together?

There is no question in my mind that they will complete this tour as expected of them... This is a damn business...Maybe their last tour ever.

Carmine
02-10-2012, 01:59 PM
After 6 years, one completed tour, the most kick ass, all-up-in-your shit, Van Halen album ever...3 warm-up sessions Cafe Wha?, Henson, The Forum and all the video support that exists from those 3 shows...add in all the genuine smiles, happiness and band comradery that we can see clearly...

In my opinion...at this point...there is no debating it...they're a band...and thats good enough for me...

Zing!
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I seriously wondered about this in the pre-Tattoo days. Now, after the first single, the sneak previews, the live Wha? gig, the way they have bent over backwards for the fans - I'm on a completely different page on this subject. There's definitely a business angle to it - but Ed's smile is the real litmus test for me. His smile was there somewhat on the last tour - and from pics I've seen of the '04, he's like a completely different person. His smile now reminds me the old days, of the posters that used to hang on my wall. It looks genuine, and that's the true barometer for this band. Plus, Dave's smile isn't that ear-to-ear, all teeth, goofball smile anymore. He looks very content, very happy. I just hope his pipes hold out for this tour - and hopefully another record!

CVH Rulz
02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.nationalledger.com/pop-culture-news/david-lee-roth-reveals-van-halens-149064.shtml

David Lee Roth Reveals Van Halen's Revised Spirit Despite Lingering Conflict
By Staff
Feb 9, 2012

David Lee Roth says there is a "revised spirit" within Van Halen.

The band's original frontman - who has a tempestuous relationship with guitarist Eddie Van Halen and originally left the band in 1985 - admitted there is still some "routine conflict" within the 'Jump' rockers, but there is also "a lot of laughter".

He said: "It's a revised spirit, it's a real band. However temporary it may be, there's a real core of strength, an integrity to the band. An obsessiveness to it that will ring true, at least for the rest of this tour.

"If Ed and I can get along then world peace can have a chance. There's sparks, there's energy, there's a team enthusiasm closer to pirates than little league. There's still some pillaging going on there. You can hear it in the music. There's routinely conflict but there's a lot of laughter.

"A lot of appreciation for the privilege of the job; compared to some of the other jobs we've all held, this is better. In one of the songs I say, 'I've been rich and I've been poor, rich is better'. It's totally better."

However, David is still not sure if there is a long-term future for the band after their forthcoming tour.

He added to News.com.au: "To promise anything beyond that, I don't know. That kind of friction and back and forth solicits the best. In the battle of the bands, we actually are a battle of the bands in one band."

©Bang Showbiz

Zing!
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't like the sound of that. At least we got ADKOT and all the shout-outs to fans along the way - plus what looks to be a killer tour. I'll be happy with that - but I'd sure like it to continue...

dave_is_vh
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
That could just be marketing "come see us now it could be your last chance"

Zing!
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
That could just be marketing "come see us now it could be your last chance"

Yep - as soon as I posted my first comment I thought that very thing. Not that they need to worry about filling venues - they ain't Chickenshit - but nothing is more rock and roll than "see 'em before they're gone for good..." I think that's why a lot of fans wen to the '04 shows - just for different reasons. And like Dave has said in the past, who is he to get in the way of a good rumor?

chi-town324
02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
its been over 5 years now they have been a band....seems like if it was going to blow up it would have by now...i see this going for years to come, thanks to the kid....its like the greatest reality show ever made!

Nickdfresh
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Yeah, it ain't about money...

Nickdfresh
02-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I get the impression that the work relationship is good and genuine, but they still don't want to be best buddies off stage. Their lives have gone in very different directions....

Ed said as much in an infamous interview he gave around 1986-87. I can't remember the magazine, but he basically said "I never had a problem working with the guy," but that it was living with Dave (on tour) that was difficult...

howie
02-10-2012, 08:24 PM
It"s all about WG making his own way in the bizz - present and future.

Royalties for WG means he paves his own way instead of relying on daddy's cash...

If WG is the one playing on the new disc (I sure hope so) then the future is bright for WG and future projects way past VH's run.

Win - win for all of us including Dave who is now uncensored.

Long live this current lineup - the CD is amazingingly old school (Outa Space intro captures it best)

I hope they get the Stones' itch and want to record into their 60's

howie
02-10-2012, 08:29 PM
and have you seen this kid play drums by the way...he could even fill in for uncle Al one day maybe

So this is love
02-10-2012, 08:40 PM

You guys are out of wack with money...OZZY was valued at 350 millions in 1997, VH is as big as OZ so he is not worth only 85 mil...its gotta be at least in the 200s him alone with the brands, royalties and the songs playing on the radio everyday around the world. I mean its a never ending flow of money...

chi-town324
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Wolfie is the key to it lasting....as long as he wants Dave, Dad will give his son whatever he wants

dave_is_vh
02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
You guys are out of wack with money...OZZY was valued at 350 millions in 1997, VH is as big as OZ so he is not worth only 85 mil...its gotta be at least in the 200s him alone with the brands, royalties and the songs playing on the radio everyday around the world. I mean its a never ending flow of money...

Ozzy has employees not bandmates (at least when he is not with Black Sabbath). So all the profits go into Ozzy's pocket and he does not have to share with anyone else. Also Ozzy (or at least Sharon) is smarter with money and business than the VH brothers. $200 million or whatever won't last long if you piss it away, have multiple divorces, or make bad investment decisions. Look at Mike Tyson. He made like $400 million and now has almost nothing. NBA player Antoine Walker made over $100 million and is now penniless.

Carmine
02-11-2012, 04:24 AM
and have you seen this kid play drums by the way...he could even fill in for uncle Al one day maybe

Yount
02-11-2012, 10:07 AM
I believe that Dave invested much more of the money he made over the years as compared to the VH brothers.
Proclivities man, show me one of yours and I'll show you one of mine. By the way, how do you finance yours?
For Dave to maximize what he does, he has to take the hit.

vandeleur
02-11-2012, 10:14 AM
After 6 years, one completed tour, the most kick ass, all-up-in-your shit, Van Halen album ever...3 warm-up sessions Cafe Wha?, Henson, The Forum and all the video support that exists from those 3 shows...add in all the genuine smiles, happiness and band comradery that we can see clearly...

In my opinion...at this point...there is no debating it...they're a band...and thats good enough for me...

sorry dude ran otta thanks on the vids owe you one

ZahZoo
02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
"A lot of appreciation for the privilege of the job; compared to some of the other jobs we've all held, this is better. In one of the songs I say, 'I've been rich and I've been poor, rich is better'. It's totally better."

Dave's statement there says a lot... especially at their age. I believe Ed, Al & Dave are happy to be back at work, doing their jobs. The jobs they really love. They all are at an age that just a peek over the next rise is the "golden years". You're still able to do most everything you want, but you also can clearly see the time table ahead is limited. Time to embrace the things you love/enjoy and cut loose... no longer recklessly like in your youth... but with purpose and a focused drive that comes with wisdom.

Money isn't the end goal... but money enables many things and allows you to chase your dreams.

chi-town324
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Daves voice holding out might be a concern...well see as the tour takes shape

private parts
02-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Here's hoping!

I believe, like you say, that Eddie has buried the hatchet. Al, on the other hand, was pretty damn bitter in an interview I heard. I can't imagine that he has let all that go. I think he is just tolerating Dave to get this thing done. He claimed it was not about the money. "You could pay us the GDP of a small country, but the reunion will not happen"

chi-town324
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Al will do whatever Ed wants

LUDWIG USA
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Al seems a little uptight, still has his guard up. Hopefully he will loosen up a little bit.

So this is love
02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Ozzy has employees not bandmates (at least when he is not with Black Sabbath). So all the profits go into Ozzy's pocket and he does not have to share with anyone else. Also Ozzy (or at least Sharon) is smarter with money and business than the VH brothers. $200 million or whatever won't last long if you piss it away, have multiple divorces, or make bad investment decisions. Look at Mike Tyson. He made like $400 million and now has almost nothing. NBA player Antoine Walker made over $100 million and is now penniless.

EVH is scrooge and he has alot of money money all he did is spend a little on booze, divorce with Val has not been a pain. 200s is minimum back in 97.

Terry
02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Not sure I would have answered this question the same way a few years back, but I think Ed and Al get a bang out of having Dave back...and not just a bang for the buck.

Maybe some of it is resignation on their part, accepting the fact that while the band chugged along when Hagar was in it from 1985 to 1996, the specter of Roth never went away. They tried it with Cherone after the 1996 fiasco. Didn't work. They tried it with Hagar, again. Didn't work.

Now they've got Dave back and have made a stellar new album full of songs they can be proud of. Selling out dates. Getting plenty of favorable press.

What's not to enjoy about all of that?

It may not be the (shudder) "bromance" the band had with Hagar when he first joined up, but that doesn't mean Roth and the Van Halens can't enjoy playing together...long as the mutual respect exists and the Van Halens appreciate what Roth brings to the table, the enjoyment level will be high enough.

howie
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Brilliant...you nailed it

chi-town324
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
its evident that us fans want Dave.... Ed and Al really don't have much of a choice

DavidLeeNatra
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
don't make assumptions... ;)

mmrrname
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Honestly, I think this album and tour are their 401k plan. And I don't have any problem with that. I don't doubt that they've buried the hatchet and are enjoying being on stage together and playing kickass rock again. But when your copyright reads "Three Twins AND Diamond Dave Enterprises," it's obviously a marriage of convenience, with all of the legal paperwork in order. The good news is that they've all matured as professionals, and obviously aren't doing it half-assed. Again, I have no problem with this, I'm just glad they got it done!