PDA

View Full Version : The Kids......

Hardrock69
02-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Ok...we saw this in 2007-2008....all of us who have kids of a certain age were taking dey chilluns to see the Mighty Van Halen for the first time......

I was at an amp shop today...friends of mine who absolutely love Van Halen....(I was spreading the VH love with some DVDs...Largo...US Fest, etc.) and there was a friend of theirs in the shop picking up an axe....he had his two sons with him....my friends had put on the US Fest disc, and the dude informs me he is taking his oldest to see VH here in Gnashville in April. He also informs me he is from Montreal, and actually saw them in 1982 AND 1984....2 shows that exist on boot DVDs....

I would take my son...but he gets irate when I blast the music loud in the house and starts barking at me, lol. And I don't think they allow furkids in the venue anyway.

But.....I have seen a lot of you mention that your kids are going to see the Mighty Van Halen in action on this tour.....some of you have mentioned it will be your child's first concert.....gotta love it when you can live vicariously through your kid......

My first rock concert was not nearly as extreme as Van Halen, lol. I saw Chicago in 1974 on their Chicago VII tour....my parents caved in and let me go see that due to the "jazz-rock" aspect of their music...horns and all.....it was also the first time I smelled pot in a concert environment as well (but most certainly not the last haha).

Wish to hell my folks would have been cool enough to let me go to concerts before that.......but...what the hell. They did not want me to go to any "heavy" shows I don't think.

So....I am happy for all of you who are taking your kids to their first concert......they will get to see what a REAL band is all about.....and will get to experience the wonderment and bewildering astonishment that Van Halen bestows upon their audiences.

:thumb:

Carmine
02-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Right on, man!! I took my son to Van Halen at the Izod Center in Jersey in November of 2007. It was his first concert. At the ripe old age of 11...I have a picture of him...Van Halen hoodie on...Van Halen skull cap on (little fucker cost me like $300 at the merch stand that night...lmao) with his mouth wide open as he watched Eddie solo...classic...that was a great night. We had dinner with VA Beach and his boy before the show....and that was also the night that Ed flung his amp 30 feet off the side stage...lmao...the infamous Izod meltdown...

Now 16...of course he's coming with me to the Buffalo show on March 9...and he's fully jacked for it and has been cranking his copy of ADKOT for a week now...and, in the process...converting as many of his friends at school as he can from the likes of todays music...

"This ain't your Daddy's Van Halen, son....wait...actually, yes it is..."

fryingdutchman
02-10-2012, 06:11 AM
My kids are definitely coming. They would shoot me if they missed it.

My son went to his first show when he was 8 back in 2008, and he's gonna see 'em again this time around in Atlantic City at age 11..almost 12.

My daughter is 8 and she rocks out all the time. ADKOT is all she wants to hear when we get in the car.

I would never hear the end of it if I didn't take her along too.

I know there are going to be critics who says 8 is too young...but I want her to have this memory because who knows what the future holds for Van Halen.

Nothing lasts forever.....

Carmine
02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Hey, Dutchman...hell, I took my daughter to her first concert when she was 7! She was on my shoulders all night...rockin out, waving her glo-sticks like crazy!!

granted, we were at the Hilary Duff and The Cheetah Girls concert but... :biggrin:

Panamark
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
By the time they make it to Oz, maybe Panamatt will be good to go.
He already rocks out to Tattoo.. lol
He would probably dismantle intricate pieces of the stage fittings and
be ejected by security...... (Unless they are playing Tattoo)

I reckon I have a year to expand his appreciation of the catalog :)

fryingdutchman
02-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Hey, Dutchman...hell, I took my daughter to her first concert when she was 7! She was on my shoulders all night...rockin out, waving her glo-sticks like crazy!!

granted, we were at the Hilary Duff and The Cheetah Girls concert but... :biggrin:

Woooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Carmine!!!

The kids are looking forward to meeting you!

bb64
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I know there are going to be critics who says 8 is too young...but I want her to have this memory because who knows what the future holds for Van Halen.

Exactly why I'm bringing my 7 year old Grandson...I wouldn't miss this opportunity for anything...

So this is love
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
My kids are definitely coming. They would shoot me if they missed it.

My son went to his first show when he was 8 back in 2008, and he's gonna see 'em again this time around in Atlantic City at age 11..almost 12.

My daughter is 8 and she rocks out all the time. ADKOT is all she wants to hear when we get in the car.

I would never hear the end of it if I didn't take her along too.

Nothing lasts forever.....

Exactly the reason I don`t bring the kids so I can enjoy and not be bothered during the show...lol

fryingdutchman
02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Exactly the reason I don`t bring the kids so I can enjoy and not be bothered during the show...lol

They've already been warned that they might experience their Dad in a state that they're not quite used to...and they should just ignore it and leave me alone.

So this is love
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
They've already been warned that they might experience their Dad in a state that they're not quite used to...and they should just ignore it and leave me alone.

lol I hear you but I don`t want them to see me in that state, wife is enough...

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 08:46 AM
A rock gig shouldn't be a proper place for children.

Now most of these places are like fucking shopping malls I don't suppose it makes much difference but why anyone would want to have their kids at a show beats me.

I guess I'm immature.

moose
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
This will be number 2 show for both of my kids
My middle son was 6 in 07' and fell asleep during AP.....LOL
He is ready for the march 17th show, has been listening to ADKOT straight
Since it was released .....
My oldest was 11 in 07' and he will join me in Buffalo on the 9th
He as well has been listening to ADKOT(bought his own copy)and has learned to play a few tunes off of the new album
on his
They are both looking forward to these shows
My daughter who is 8 wants to go see Van Halen, but will not be able to go this time around, so I hope that this is not the last time they hit the road...

Panamark
02-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Now most of these places are like fucking shopping malls I don't suppose it makes much difference but why anyone would want to have their kids at a show beats me.

I guess I'm immature.

You just create them post show ! :biggrin:

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I was at a Twisted Sister gig once and these proud parents beside me tutted and complained every time Dee Snider said fuck in front of their little dinkums.

Which was a lot.

fryingdutchman
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM

I guess I'm immature.

I respect your opinion Sesh...and I understand the point of view.

But kids today at ages 9, 10, 11 are LIGHT YEARS ahead of where we were at that age. The information age has them so "exposed" to the world that many of them, if not most, are ready for the experience.

If this was 1983 and I was a Dad, the answer would be "HELL NO!"

moose
02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I was at a Twisted Sister gig once and these proud parents beside me tutted and complained every time Dee Snider said fuck in front of their little dinkums.

Which was a lot.

They hear worse shit st school
So who gives a fuck about the swearing
Plus Dave's use of profanity has kinda waned
As of late....

SilvioDante
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
What am I suppose to do, leave them at home and let their musical influences be American Idol and the Disney Channel?

I am probably take my son. He's heard stories about the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. Now, he needs to see and experience it for himself.

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I respect your opinion Sesh...and I understand the point of view.

But kids today at ages 9, 10, 11 are LIGHT YEARS ahead of where we were at that age. The information age has them so "exposed" to the world that many of them, if not most, are ready for the experience.

If this was 1983 and I was a Dad, the answer would be "HELL NO!"

Oh I know it's not a popular opinion at all we had this thread at the last tour as well. :biggrin:

Mr Walker
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Which was a lot.

I'm taking my son to see Steel Panther next week... what should we expect?

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
LMAO!

Some awkward questions on the way home.

What age is he?

DlocRoth
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
:bigwink::lmao:

Seshmeister
02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vlhxx66qQh4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vlhxx66qQh4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Mr Walker
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
LMAO!

Some awkward questions on the way home.

What age is he?

Hahaha...
He's 20 and a Junior in College... I'd only have concerns if he hasn't been exposed to what we are in for at a SP gig.

Jagermeister
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Hahaha...
He's 20 and a Junior in College... I'd only have concerns if he hasn't been exposed to what we are in for at a SP gig.

He's obviously been exposed to you. How much worse could SP be? :)

private parts
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
ADKOT is now officially endorsed by my 15 year old guitar playin son. He said, "Whoa" Almost brought a tear to my eye.
He will be joining me in Nashville for the show. Gotta raise em right. He has seen Rush (1st concert), Foo Fighters, and Godsmack this year.

ZahZoo
02-10-2012, 12:36 PM

I guess I'm immature.

Things have tamed down quite a bit... especially for older acts like VH.

I was going to bring my kids but decided it wouldn't be appropriate since Dave will be sporting a headset mic... no way I could expose them to that shit... :nono:

Mr Walker
02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I was going to bring my kids but decided it wouldn't be appropriate since Dave will be sporting a headset mic... no way I could expose them to that shit... :nono:

Fuck... I didn't consider that

Sensible Shoes
02-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Things have tamed down quite a bit... especially for older acts like VH.

:nono:

I laugh when I remember the lyrics they were roaring about back in "Fools" were about cleaning your room and pushing a broom. "Won't someone tell me what it is they all want? Fools. Who makes the rules?" The kid who was worried that lyrics about texting and ipods would date VH in the future should go back and give this another listen. Hell, if Hot for Teacher weren't so iconic, that would sound a bit foolish too!

jhale667
02-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I for one think it's totally cool that peeps are turning their kids on to VH - they're still SO much better than most current music, it's a valuable experience IMO. Kids today need to see how it's DONE. :killer: Trust me if I had a kid that was 8 or 10 or whatever and was interested I'd definitely take them!

Sweet Irony
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Well, the kid THERE
<------ saw Dave solo at 7....going to 2nd VH (w/Wolfie) in Boston!
First 'sentence' was "Watch guy Jump"....

No question there as to whats up....:D

Bowanna
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
My older children grew up on jamming to VH... I took my 10 and 8 year old to the 2004 tour only because i really thought VH was done and we had suite tix... I had bought floor seats but the wife got comp tickets. We went down to the floor for a few songs but floor seats suck in the forum in Tampa. it's very lax in a suite and most of the peolple there arn't true fans but passer-byers and we had the whole place to ouselves halfway through the show. all of my kids will be staying home this time around unless we get tix again and I'll bring the same kids (now 17 and 15)... Not my younger ones.

Seshmeister
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
I laugh when I remember the lyrics they were roaring about back in "Fools" were about cleaning your room and pushing a broom. "Won't someone tell me what it is they all want? Fools. Who makes the rules?" The kid who was worried that lyrics about texting and ipods would date VH in the future should go back and give this another listen. Hell, if Hot for Teacher weren't so iconic, that would sound a bit foolish too!

Especially since the issue is now that he's too old for the teacher rather than too young.

Still not quite as bad as 'Hope I die before i get old' or 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'

Sensible Shoes
02-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Especially since the issue is now that he's too old for the teacher rather than too young.
'

Ha! Dave is not too old for any young thing - I'd like to see them keep up with him.

Panamark
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
My older brother (who still thinks he is 30) has been taking his heavy metal
obsessed boy to gigs since the boy was 14. You can tell they both have a blast
and it seems they share a common interest, good bonding stuff.
Can see how that works. In all reality I wouldnt take my 2 year old to anything
except the wiggles.. lol (He does like the new album however)

Golden AWe
02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
I've taken our kids to free daytime festivals for one or two artists...they enjoy some rock too. Then headed home with kids, their grandma and mother are at home, and I went back to the festival with a bottle of wine. That's how I try to treat a rock festival with kids. Well, we did all go to see Jeff Beck together, I naturally don't drink when they're present. There are some proper children music bands in Finland too, that make music that adults can enjoy too. And I don't mean Smurfs or Squirrels.

In any case, I wouldn't go to a whole VH cuntcert with them yet...but they have become VH fans thanks to this album. Even the youngest one, 7,5 months, tries to sing along with Stay Frosty and China Town...seriously!

FORD
02-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Kudos to those of you taking kids (or grandkids) to a Van Halen concert. If you want to know how completely clueless some of todays kids are about music, check out some tweets from last night's Grammys.....

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2012/02/4f39416bc9edd.png

Geezy fucking pete on a nuclear powered pogo stick! Sit these fucking little brats down in front of a decent stereo and blast The White Album in their ears. Followed by A Different Kind Of Truth, naturally.

Carmine
02-14-2012, 05:09 AM
In all reality I wouldn't take my 2 year old to anything
except the wiggles.. lol (He does like the new album however)

The Wiggles rock, Mark...damn, it was like 12 years ago when I took mine to see them...

(and yes, I got a Wiggles Tour T-Shirt)

Panamark
02-14-2012, 05:54 AM
The Wiggles rock, Mark...damn, it was like 12 years ago when I took mine to see them...

(and yes, I got a Wiggles Tour T-Shirt)

LOL ! We just moved in the last 12 months and I heard last week that the wiggles studio
was actually walking distance from our old place. They were under our noses the whole time ! (10 years I lived there)
The original Yellow Wiggle just returned so its the four original wiggles again ! :)
They are good at what they do......

fryingdutchman
02-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Kudos to those of you taking kids (or grandkids) to a Van Halen concert. If you want to know how completely clueless some of todays kids are about music, check out some tweets from last night's Grammys.....

Geezy fucking pete on a nuclear powered pogo stick! Sit these fucking little brats down in front of a decent stereo and blast The White Album in their ears. Followed by A Different Kind Of Truth, naturally.

Just fucking wow.

I am at a loss for words.

Parents need to do their jobs much better.

fryingdutchman
02-14-2012, 05:59 AM
LOL ! We just moved in the last 12 months and I heard last week that the wiggles studio
was actually walking distance from our old place. They were under our noses the whole time ! (10 years I lived there)
The original Yellow Wiggle just returned so its the four original wiggles again ! :)
They are good at what they do......

The Wiggles kick ass...especially now that Greg is back!! Greg Page is the DLR of The Wiggles..and his replacement totally paled in comparison.

Let that be a lesson to all bands, both for kids and adults, that replacement singers named "Sam" NEVER fucking work. Ever....

Panamark
02-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Never thought I would be around when the world
forgot who a Beatle was.... (or at least a new
generation)

Panamark
02-14-2012, 06:04 AM
The Wiggles kick ass...especially now that Greg is back!! Greg Page is the DLR of The Wiggles..and his replacement totally paled in comparison.

Let that be a lesson to all bands, both for kids and adults, than replacement singers named "Sam" NEVER fucking work. Ever....

Thanks ! (as I have run out of them today) I never saw that Sam dude smile

Mr Walker
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm taking my 20 and 13 year old sons to see VH in a few weeks.

This is a bit off the subject, but I'm proud of the work my 16 year old daughter has been doing in school. She sent me a text showing me how she improved on a mural in the school hallway (and how she's probably going to get written up for it). BTW, she's a Jay-Z fan... just so the context of her work is clear.

evil_lil
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I've got twin 13 year olds and a 10 year old. All boys. All of them came with me to the 2008 show in Tampa. It was the 1st concert for all of them.

The youngest now plays guitar and just did his first school talent show. While the rest of the kids sang Taylor Swift and Adele songs to cds, he played Breaking The Law. :killer:

It's costs a small fortune to take the whole family, but they'll remember it forever...and I consider it a part of their education.

Zing!
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Turned my kids on to Elvis and The Beatles before we even got to VH. They not only know who Paul is, they know who Ringo is! They know John and George are in heaven (John got shot by a bad guy and George got sick and died). They know their solo songs on top of their Beatles songs. They have been to several Beatles and Elvis tribute shows, their favorite movies are 'A Hard Day's Night' and 'Elvis: That's The Way It Is.' What the hell is wrong with these parents? My kids know who Justin Beiber is, but it's their choice to hate him - I don't force it on them. They choose to dislike his music because they've heard good music from day one: they can name a Bob Marley song in three notes. Now they are hearing more legendary music in the form of classic Van Halen (and no - they have no clue that Dave was ever out of the band - although they do wonder why he doesn't dress like the Jump video every day and why he cut his hair).

evil_lil
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I told my 10 year old that Sammy Hagar was talking shit about the new Van Halen ablum and he said " Well, he's a liar then 'cause it's fucking awesome. "

He doesn't know who Hagar is by name so when he was still perturbed a few minutes later that some guy was talking smack about Van Halen, I told him that Sammy Hagar was the guy who replaced DLR in Van Halen and he says " Oh, that guy fucking SUCKS! "