PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat negative "A Different Kind of Truth" review on PremierGuitar.com"

Sarge
02-11-2012, 12:26 AM
I love their magazine, but I don't agree with the review.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Feb/Album_Review_Van_Halen_A_Different_Kind_of_Truth.a spx?updated=0210122246#comments

If you lookie see.. you might find my comment in the comments section.

Breasts,

Sarge

ELVIS
02-11-2012, 12:40 AM
There's quite a bit of truth in that review, but the reviewer clearly doesn't like Dave at all and unfairly dogs him out...

:elvis:

clarathecarrot
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
The reviewer is a afraid of something ?

He sais things that seem to be about his perceptions of a personality bias.

Things like Dave is excellent when needed ..but looks at the camera funny.

Ed is sharper than ever and his sounds are great...but the notes are old.

Wolf has a amore freedomistic style than M.A. and knocks it out of the park...but he isn't the same as MA.

I am paraphrasing but the dude is playing the grey area and that is just pussy bullshit.

He sounds like a deadhead, still looking around and wondering if jerry garcia isn't appearing in secret and twittering a 57 min version of truckin.

I guess I am guilty too.. I don't like the way Clay Akin looks at the camera either so I don't buy his songs..and he is a hack.

VanCanHalen
02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Well said Sarge on the reply comment, should have asked him if he's still diggin is fav band Air Supply......................:bolt: FUCK I just typed that group in a Roth forum, AHHHH need to spin ADKOT at least once more tonight to replace other thoughts, rinse lather repeat!

ThrillsNSpills
02-11-2012, 01:04 AM
You'd think a guy from Premier Guitar would factor in Ed's tone as coming from a digital medium instead of saying it's too processed and hi-fi.
It was more hi-fi with a turntable and a Pioneer receiver.

As far as using the old ideas, you can't deny how much Dave added to the old Ripley tune to make Blood and Fire. The melody and performance add so much to the old instrumental version.
I think if the album leaves you wanting more, it's done it's job. and this one does that and much more.

sambo
02-11-2012, 01:54 AM
There's one comment on there I had to share..

"........ If you don't like this new album, you are a highly feminzied man."

GOLD...

Panamark
02-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I cant think of any logical reason why somebody would take a hit at Dave, unless
they are Hagarists ? Van Halen are obviously old farts now yet
Dave poured his heart and soul into this, when you feel this emotion as the listener, nothing else matters.

Sure its not Dave 1979, but fuck me dead, he gave it everything.
Giving everything is the biggest win in Passion. Dave wins on ADKOT,
they all do.

Jetstream
02-11-2012, 01:59 AM
let me think about this review, ok...fuck 'em

TJMKID
02-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Where do they find cumstains like this to write such garbage and get paid for it?

Go read some of the Rolling Stone reviews of Van Halen's early albums ---- history has shown them to be clueless cumstains.

Jetstream
02-11-2012, 03:21 AM
yup, and Rolling Stone also hated Led Zeppelin...I hope they give ADKOT a horrible review, then we will know for sure that it is a winner :)

SunisinuS
02-11-2012, 03:52 AM
I love their magazine, but I don't agree with the review.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Feb/Album_Review_Van_Halen_A_Different_Kind_of_Truth.a spx?updated=0210122246#comments

If you lookie see.. you might find my comment in the comments section.

Breasts,

Sarge

In ROTH WE TRUST! This is one of the best albums in the last 20 years. You either get it or you don't. If the reviewer was the same rebellious child that he was in the 70's and 80's, he would have loved this album. It's about a return to greatness. Van Halen has not put out an Album this awe inspiring since 1984. Things and times change. I think the reviewer needs to embrace his teenage self an get into this riff heavy and testosterone laden work of art. Rock doesn't sound like this anymore. "Legends are Forever" - Roth's Army.

The comments all follow you Sarge.

The next album "Shawn Hammond" puts out we all surely going to worship.

Problem is: Shawn Hammond looks like Elvis Costello.

Shawn Hammonded
Just added: Shawn Hammond is rocking the rock world this summer with his killer licks and amazing vocals. oh wait...never mind...looked up ASCAP...Shawn Hammond looks like Costello. No Tunes listed. Show us your work.

My Post there.

Roth On.

ashstralia
02-11-2012, 04:48 AM
as our contemporary brothers and sisters like to say...'haters gonna hate'.

to paraphrase sesh; dave's probably forgotten more than most people will ever know about being the best frontman in rock history.

it's a fucking great rock album, that's all i'm in it for. i gots me moneys worth.

David Lee Rocks
02-11-2012, 04:56 AM
I just think that anyone that dosent love classic Van Halen wont like this album, thats the wat i feel about it, i love it more every day!!

Panamark
02-11-2012, 05:01 AM
There was more of a chance this could have been exactly representative of
what these wankers wanted to write.
Problem is, it isnt.
Did they even listen, or is presumption behind the pen ?

ashstralia
02-11-2012, 05:15 AM
i suppose if you put one of us into rock critic mode (not looking at you actual talented ones here; lookin at meself:))

my review would get laughed out of the editor's orifice.

'ash, ya can't give 17 stars out of 10!!!'

Panamark
02-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Does anyone ever read reviews and then decide to buy ?

If I did that I would have missed out on my favourite albums
of all time....

Seems like a cushy job in my opinion. Any review not broken
down track by track is a sham.

Glitter Tot
02-11-2012, 07:01 AM
I thought it was a reasonable case put against the album - I disagreed with quite a few points, but I'm not interested in defending ADKOT particularly. I enjoy it, if others don't - they can be my guest. Doesn't harm me any. I've read so many positive reviews of the album lately, it's refreshing to hear a thoughtfull point of view from the other side.

Personally, the argument about the re-hashing of old tracks doesn't really wash with me. Clearly there's a gold mine in that vault, so milk it for all it's worth I say. As for Ed's tone, I agree in part. I miss the "glassy" strat tone from DD and 1984. Still, he does make the most out of his new sonic arsenal. It's an evolution right.

Panamark
02-11-2012, 07:09 AM
I thought it was a reasonable case put against the album - I disagreed with quite a few points, but I'm not interested in defending ADKOT particularly. I enjoy it, if others don't - they can be my guest. Doesn't harm me any. I've read so many positive reviews of the album lately, it's refreshing to hear a thoughtfull point of view from the other side.

Personally, the argument about the re-hashing of old tracks doesn't really wash with me. Clearly there's a gold mine in that vault, so milk it for all it's worth I say. As for Ed's tone, I agree in part. I miss the "glassy" strat tone from DD and 1984. Still, he does make the most out of his new sonic arsenal. It's an evolution right.

I agree with your post. Now can you upload a high res avatar so I can see the vagina more clearly !
(Melbourne Dude !!! Carn the Mighty Blue Baggers 2012 !!) :biggrin:

Seshmeister
02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
He's not even a decent writer...

fourthcoming
02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
The only reviews that matter are the ones that come from the soldiers of the Roth Army......we all seem to be pretty damn happy with the album....that's all that matters. Great comment by Sarge.

Bad Muthafucker
02-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I bought the record and have listened to it over and over. I contributed to their attempt at #1. That's what matters to me.

This fucking motherfucking asshole guy writing this review from Premier cocksuckers magazine, or whatever the fuck it's called, has also contributed, and the retardedly fucking stupid idiot that he is probably doesn't even realize it. I wonder how many people who haven't gotten the record yet will now go out an buy it just based on this fucker's article. Like the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Dave himself used to mention it when talking about Spam, saying something to the effect of, "Sam's my boy. He's my bitch. He works for me. Every time he mentions my name, I just sell that many more records!" I kind of rememer it being on the Howard Stern show from way back when, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, fuck this motherfucker. I may just go out today and buy another copy. Fuck him.

Sarge
02-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I can't wait for the Red Vinyl version to hit my door...

ThrillsNSpills
02-11-2012, 10:36 AM
If it's a 2 record set of a 50 minute album, that's what 12 minutes per album side...

If you look at the ads for the vinyl the grooves extend to almost the whole side of the record.

So... will it be 45 speed? I read on another forum that the latest Foo Fighters album was released in 45 speed.

I guess you have to want to hear this one in the best possible fidelity to have a question like this.

ELVIS
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
I can't wait for the Red Vinyl version to hit my door...

http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/93/product_large/XMLP02.JPG

:elvis:

redfire
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I bought another ADKOT just to mail it to him... seriously. I'm going to include instructions that might help him hear this time. Because clearly, his raging vaginal pains caused problems in objectivity while listening to the best album released since 1984. Even Melodicrock bowed down to the greatness of ADKOT. And he's a professed Round Rocker fan.

fourthcoming
02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Definitely can't wait for the vinyl......someone here....maybe Elvis was mentioning listening to the cd in mono the other day.....wonder how that sounds? My record store guy ordered the vinyl for me for $40. Anyone find it any cheaper?

ThrillsNSpills
02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I can't believe anyone would give this incredible album a negative review.

SparkieD
02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
There goes that fucking "cock rock" bullshit again. Somebody must love the cock an awful lot to use such stupid terminology.

Terry
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
The telling part was the end of the review, where the reviewer more or less states that he would have preferred that the Van Halens followed the example of Robert Plant, who resisted the impulse to try and reform Led Zeppelin, even if it would mean the Van Halens having to rethink their choice of lead singers and venue sizes. I took this to mean that the Roth reunion and the new record are devoid of artistic growth or merit by default, since this quality can't be present if the band harkened back to their old demos and made a conscious attempt to capture their classic signature sound.
It'd be interesting to see what this guy's take on Van Halen 3 was, since that was Eddie's baby, and was definitely a conscious choice NOT to look backward in terms of either material or a lead vocalist...and it certainly wasn't any sort of concession to what the vast majority of people wanted from Van Halen at that point, which was a classic reunion. Would he have said [Van Halen 3] was an artistic accomplishment despite being a relative commerical flop? Methinks yes.
Frankly, I find the fact that the Van Halens were willing to remake old, unreleased material refreshing. The reviewer would be correct in asserting that the Van Halens have made a specific choice to play big venues to large audiences for big money. They want to eat 'em and smile, and if you're gonna do this you have to sing for your supper. People ain't gonna feed the band if they go the Van Halen 3 route. It was a lesson the Van Halens learned the hard way when they basically gave their fans the finger in the late 1990s and did things their way. I suppose it's easy for a reviewer to chastise the band for making an album that was calculated to provide the CVH effect, and label that effort as taking the easy route to the biggest payday possible.
For me, it all seems a bit churlish to lament Van Halen for being on the course they are at present, since there's really no downside. The current incarnation and material is, in parts:
1. the best stuff to come from the band in years, classic in tone and deferential to the past yet quite experimental at times (the fact that the record grooves like a motherfucker doesn't hurt none, either)
2. a realization that Roth alongside Eddie is clearly what fans want to see; they were playing to half-filled halls with Hagar 8 years back and virtually nobody claims hiring Cherone was a success; just how many different singers should the band take on before coming to the conclusion (Roth is the best fit) that most of us reached years ago?
3. the smartest decision to be made from a business point of view...Van Halen are a major rock band, where the business and artistic components are intertwined.

Roth back in the band and A Different Kind Of Truth is simply a case of Van Halen giving the people what they want. This puts asses in the seats, sales at the registers and smiles on faces of everyone...well, almost everyone. I'm sure there are still more than a few Eddie Grunts who are bummed that the much-hoped for album of tuba solos never materialized, but that contingent ain't gonna keep Eddie living in style.

TJMKID
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Personally, the argument about the re-hashing of old tracks doesn't really wash with me. Clearly there's a gold mine in that vault, so milk it for all it's worth I say.

I dont get the argument, either. If VH dug deep into the archives to re-work old demos --- who gives a shit? These tracks never appeared on previous albums so they are fair game to be worked up as they see fit.

Only a dummy like Sambo thinks all new songs need to pop into your head after walking into the studio ---- which explains his flashes of brilliance like "Up for Breakfast" and "Spanked".

David Lee Rocks
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I dont get the argument, either. If VH dug deep into the archives to re-work old demos --- who gives a shit? These tracks never appeared on previous albums so they are fair game to be worked up as they see fit.

Only a dummy like Sambo thinks all new songs need to pop into your head after walking into the studio ---- which explains his flashes of brilliance like "Up for Breakfast" and "Spanked".

well when Sammy joined them in 1986 didnt they have a boat load of stuff already recorded, lyrics and everything by Dave, then they had to start over cause they couldnt use Daves stuff obviously right? And Sammy knows this, i dont understand him, and as far as this critic, if the next album has all stuff written recently, he will probably say, these songs arent good enough, they shoulda dug back in the archives and recorded someof that stuff, you cant win with some people really

Bad Muthafucker
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
What it really comes down to is this: This fucker is doing a review of Van halen. Nobody on planet Earth is doing a review of this motherfucker because he is nothing. He's nobody. I don't even remember what his name is, and I'm not going to bother wasting my precious time clicking back on the article just to see. I'm reminded of Sarge's Little Helpers reply whenever somebody asks...

Bad Muthafucker
02-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Who is hitch1969?

Golden AWe
02-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Yeah. The review kinda says "good album - wrongly made!"

Now that's bullshit. Let's all remember there are two rules into good music...rule number one, if it sounds good, it's good. Rule number two, there ain't no rule number two. (© DLR)

Hardrock69
02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
One other thing....unless I am mistaken, only 5 out of 13 tracks are revised old demos. 8 brand new tracks that kick ass. In my mind, 10 songs make an album. SO if you wanted to label the older tracks as "filler" that would only be 2. But all 5 songs are of the Classic Van Halen millieu, and are easily on par with the newer stuff....or vice versa.

If this album is so lame...why is is selling 200,000 units in it's first week, and at LEAST debuting at No. 2 on Billboard?

Fucking idiots. :mad:

chi-town324
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
opinions are like assholes everybody has one....the bands 1970's reworked demos sound great in 2012 for one reason...the band fucking rocks!

MUSICMANN
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
If you can't hear that this is a pure VH album full of full tilt, melt your face off songs and attitude, then you never listened to or liked VH back in their early days, or you only started to like them when Round fatso joined the band and are still stuck in that era of disgrace and now all you eat and think about is Chickenfoot. I know this, fuck opinions, if that dipshit or anyone else want to slam this new album, i'm punching some pussies in the fucking mouth.

David Lee Rocks
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I didnt expect to be so blown away by the album but i am, and the old reworked demos to me dont sound that much like the old demos, theyre updated and rock even harder, any reason why i love it!

private parts
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Where do they find cumstains like this to write such garbage and get paid for it?

Go read some of the Rolling Stone reviews of Van Halen's early albums ---- history has shown them to be clueless cumstains.

Hell, who the fuck is reading Premier Guitar album reviews anyway. And ya those early reviews of VH 1 are laughable. Ya that Van Halen band...they'll never amount to much. lol!

So this is love
02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I have only one word for ya negative reviewer and its honeybabyfreakingdoll.

Bluesman
02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Dave's gonna fuck his girlfriend tonight!

binnie
02-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Mmm.......

Review like this always stump me. The reviewer is essentially saying 'it's not what I wanted'. That ends up with a review of what's not there, rather than what is.

Nitro Express
02-12-2012, 04:42 AM
"I don't know where the critics are tonight but I'm right here baybee. Wherever they may be I have one thing to say to them. Fuck You!"

private parts
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM

If they dug up some of Beethoven's old sheet music someone would record it and say it was genius and brilliant. Ed does it and its a cop out or just for the money. Friggin assholes! What would be tragic is if we never got to hear any of Eddies archived music. I say keep 'em coming. New cd every 12 months until he has emptied his arsenal. Then lets do some new "cutting edge pushing the envelope" tunes.

5150who
02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Youre absolutely clueless. This album - top to bottom - is the best VH since Women and C 1st. If you don't really see that, you're a fucking dope.

lesfunk
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Look, the real reason the critics wan't "all new, more exprimental" material is because they Want to have an excuse to shit on it 100% not just 60%.
The writer is obviously a sheep. He mentions both a hagar era tune and Satriani in the article for fucks sake.

jhale667
02-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I generally like Premier Guitar, but this review is a FAIL.

:guitar:

redfire
02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
One other thing....unless I am mistaken, only 5 out of 13 tracks are revised old demos. 8 brand new tracks that kick ass. In my mind, 10 songs make an album. SO if you wanted to label the older tracks as "filler" that would only be 2. But all 5 songs are of the Classic Van Halen millieu, and are easily on par with the newer stuff....or vice versa.

7 revised by my count:
Tattoo
She's the Woman
Blood and Fire
Bullethead
Outta Space
Big River
Beats Working

Seshmeister
02-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think Blood and Fire really counts because Van Halen never played it.

That leaves you with the majority of the album being new material which you would never realise reading most of the articles about this album.

VHscraps
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't think Blood and Fire really counts because Van Halen never played it.

That leaves you with the majority of the album being new material which you would never realise reading most of the articles about this album.

Exactly. If it was a court case ... it would quickly be determined that, in legal terms (and in music industry practice), a song is defined by the elements that are transposed into musical notation, or sheet music - i.e., the top line (vocal melody), the words, and the musical accompaniement.

So even if Ed's riffs are the same, Dave has changed the old tunes / demos, by at least 50%.

And anyway, it is impossible to plagiarise yourself. None of these songs, as we keep repeating ad nauseum, were ever heard but by the most ardent fans - on bootlegs - and never actually realeased by Van Halen.

A lot of internet froth.

private parts
02-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Exactly. If it was a court case ... it would quickly be determined that, in legal terms (and in music industry practice), a song is defined by the elements that are transposed into musical notation, or sheet music - i.e., the top line (vocal melody), the words, and the musical accompaniement.

So even if Ed's riffs are the same, Dave has changed the old tunes / demos, by at least 50%.

And anyway, it is impossible to plagiarise yourself. None of these songs, as we keep repeating ad nauseum, were ever heard but by the most ardent fans - on bootlegs - and never actually realeased by Van Halen.

A lot of internet froth.

Van Halen always did a cover song or two much to the dismay of the "critics"
This time they said "fuck 'em" and covered themselves! B R I L L I A N T!

Vinnie Velvet
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
This album makes ya wanna drink and fuck your woman ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT.

When was the last time a rock album made you wanna do that?

NATEDOG001976
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Rolling stone gave ADKOT 3 and 1/2 stars and a pretty good review. Does this mean hell has frozen over?

jhale667
02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
A lot of internet froth.

You leave Rick Santorum out of this! :lmao:

ThrillsNSpills
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
If it's a 2 record set of a 50 minute album, that's what 12 minutes per album side...

If you look at the ads for the vinyl the grooves extend to almost the whole side of the record.

So... will it be 45 speed? I read on another forum that the latest Foo Fighters album was released in 45 speed.

I guess you have to want to hear this one in the best possible fidelity to have a question like this.

I just got a very dismissve email from the Vh store after asking if this was 45 speed that said "it plays at the speed all 12" play at."
So I sent back a link for the last Foo Fighters album that had 2 LPs that were at 45 speed.

Stay Frosty

ELVIS
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Ask about 78 rpm next time...

ThrillsNSpills
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Ask about 78 rpm next time...

I know I know. Shoot a guy for being curious.