Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Diamond Dave album

Average Rating: 2.8 stars out of 5

(8 reviews submitted) List All Reviews
    Eclectic Dave ?
    This is not a normal DLR release where he rocks the house like he did with his DLR Band cd from 1998 (which is his best solo cd in my opinion). This cd is more like Your Filthy Little Mouth from 1994. It's also similar to his Crazy From the Heat E.P. circa 1985. It's just Dave being Dave while making a light hearted and off beat album which would normally be very cool. If only we had the one and only "Mighty Van Halen" to go to as our main source of Dave rock, this cd would not be such a disappointment to us all.
    Submitted by a reviewer in Houston, TX

Dave Makes A Welcome Return...And He's Still Got It!
    Blimey, this album was welcome, if only as an antedote to the terminally depressing releases of bands like Coldplay and Radiohead. This album is pure sunshine. I don't get why people knock Dave...he doesn't have anything to prove- he seems to be making the albums he wants to make and I for one love it. I feel sorry for people that didn't 'get' 'Your Filthy Little Mouth'...there were some great songs on that. Ok, so he's not written much on this effort, but he's still pretty irresistible, and from the tecnicolour artwork Dave still seems to be enjoying himself somewhat! I've knocked off one star for the use of the world 'splurge' in 'Bad Habits' from his Vegas sessions. Nevertheless, can't wait for his UK shows in November!!
    Submitted by a reviewer in Surrey, UK

What Is This..........
    Come on DAVE Give us a break ...!!! GO BACK TO VAN HALEN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
    Submitted by jpm1@otenet.gr in ATHENS GREECE

Time to Retire
    Diamond Dave has lost his luster. I doubt Lloy'ds of London would insure any part of his body at this point. He obviously can't write music anymore, so he tries to interpret covers. Every rendition is best left to the original artist. Time for Dave to give up and retire.
    Submitted by a reviewer in Washington, DC

Blah
    Not like he used to be. I love DLR, but I didn't find one song I liked.
    Submitted by a reviewer in Apple Valley, MN

Well, some people say it's time for him to retire.
    sigpic
  • Laceration

Have you listened to the album yet for yourself?

Comment

• Sarge
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

I liked it.. for what it is..
      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Catfish

Yes, it tis what it tis.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Laceration
          Have you listened to the album yet for yourself?
          Nope; wish I had the money to... still have Christmas bills to pay off.
          With a question like that, what's the point of those reviews that all the online music stores have?
          If they maintain a bunch of bad reviews, their CDs wouldn't sell. Not a good way of handling business, unless there's something I missed.
          sigpic

Comment

• diamond den™

I haven't heard it and honestly, I ain't too interested in it either

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Well, I'll just say this....

If you're looking for the second coming of Fair Warning, don't bother buying it...

Having said that, it wasn't my cup of tea...

Dave needs to rocking, as opposed to the stuff he's doing on that CD...
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR7884
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that album.

Bought it, listened to it all the way through, didn't listen to it for about 2 months.

Then I put it back on and reminded myself why.

YFLM is a better album than the new one.

Dave did what he does best on DLR Band.

DLR7884
                C'mon Dave, snort a huge fucking line and put something out that rocks.
                Originally Posted by WARF:
                DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• Wolverine

this cd was a rubout!!

Comment

• partymonger
                    Roth Army Recruit
                    • Jan 2004

ya, the album isn't fantastic, it's ok, DLR and the band need to rock....
                    Maybe Dave just did it to get the record label, to get the tour promotion, just to be able to get out on the road, which is what Dave does the best!!! LIVE

He is still the best front man out there, hands down

Comment

• Lou

It's just God-awful, trust me you're not missing anything. I agree that YFLM was better. It was WAY better actually. At least YFLM has some memorable songs on it like "She's My Machine" and "Experience." In fact all the DLR solo albums prior to this one, even though there were some low points, had memorable cuts. Not this one. There's just nothing on it that makes me go "Wow, Dave's still got it." In fact I think the opposite

A bunch of covers and then, to break up what little continuity the album had, a formulaic DLR Band leftover not even re-done by his new band. That explains why as of Dec. 1, 2003 Metal Sludge reported the album sales to be a little over 12,000 copies. Ugh.

Comment

• VanJay011379
                        Roadie
                        • Jan 2004

I liked it but I think I was dissapointed for the same reason everyone else was. The reason being, we all expected another DLR Band album.

Didn't DLR at one point say they were working on a new album of originals. I could have swore he did. Somewhere along the line it dissapeared and was replaced with a cover album.

That being said, I think the other problem with the Diamond Dave album was there really are no explosive songs. All the songs seem rather tame.

Comment

• Lou

Well he said "new material." Maybe to him, "new material" just means a new album even though it's all covers.

And there are no explosive songs, another major problem with the album.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

very, very, VERY disappointed with this album. I think that not only am I a 'classic' Van Halen fan, I am also only a 'classic' DLR fan...

do I get smacked for that?
                            Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

from what i've heard from Ray and the guys (first and second-hand), they did in fact have plenty of originals written and recorded.

Dave just didn't feel like doing that record. he felt like, finally having been freed from the on-again-off-again grind of "reunion blues" that really went for 6 years, he didn't want to do a "Van Halen type" record.

good for him. I think Diamond Dave was just fuckin' stellar. that type of music just suits his voice perfectly. and, if all y'all don't get that side of Dave, so be it. everyone's got their own tastes.

but you're missing out on a big part of who Dave is.
                              David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                              — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

Working...