PDA

View Full Version : 2012 TOUR VIP Feedback Q&A

VanCanHalen
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Thought id start this tread for the 2012 tour, I have my VIP tickets for the Vancouver show but thats in May....damnit cant wait! Please post your experiences good bad etc so we all know what to expect etc, Roth on!!!

Momshell
02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I've got mine for MSG in 9 days. Will let you know!!

RedEye
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
And can someone let me know how the whole VIP thing goes down and what if anything I can expect to find in the mail?
I contacted VIPNation and they said nothing is to be mailed? How about a time when we are to be there for the festivites etc? Mid-range VIP in KC here.

m_dixon1984
02-19-2012, 10:24 PM
My email reply from VIPNation said a representative would be in touch by phone a week before the show (Tier 2 seats in my case). Tickets will be made available at a special ticket booth at the venue (that's what happened in 2007 for the tier 3 VIP...sandwich board outside one of the windows...where I got my ticket and and loot bag). Not sure if the rep will have tickets or if I'll have to go to the window before meeting up with him/her. I hate waiting until the day of the show for my tickets. Even though I've been through it before I would much prefer to have tickets in hand before getting to the venue.
M

mmrrname
02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know too. I have 3rd tier (tix in the first 20 rows), and would like to know about how close those folks get. Thanks.

Momshell
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
I got tier 2 and they said they'd email me my "itinerary" 5 days before the show....on the last tour they told us where to go and what time to be there and someone met us there with the tix and walked us back to the pre-show party.

m_dixon1984
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know too. I have 3rd tier (tix in the first 20 rows), and would like to know about how close those folks get. Thanks.

2007 my Tier 3 seats were dead center, 2 rows from front of S. I reached over and slapped Dave's hand a few times when he walked out. Tier 1 and 2 folks were inside bottom of S, standing room in front of center stage. the middle part of the S was the stage itself, top of S went up over Alex from Wolfies' side. Different stage layout this year but I'm sure you'll love your seats.
M

VanCanHalen
02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Ya first time for me buying the VIP tickets, passed on them in 04 & 07. Really hopping that the seats are close (2nd Tier Rows 2-11) I snagged the tickets right when they went on sale, oddly enough their was no AMEX presale for the Vancouver VIP tixs which was great cause I dont have the card. It states on the VIPNATION web site that the first orders are seated closest, hope this is true, if so I figure 2nd or 3rd row!!! Fingers Crossed!!!

VAiN
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Ya first time for me buying the VIP tickets, passed on them in 04 & 07. Really hopping that the seats are close (2nd Tier Rows 2-11) I snagged the tickets right when they went on sale, oddly enough their was no AMEX presale for the Vancouver VIP tixs which was great cause I dont have the card. It states on the VIPNATION web site that the first orders are seated closest, hope this is true, if so I figure 2nd or 3rd row!!! Fingers Crossed!!!

Dude, you're in for a treat - you will not regret it. I did it in 07 and I just did it for Louisville, and it was the shit. We got 5th row, just about dead center... Not to mention how amazing the band is now. Being up close is the way to do it.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Dude, you're in for a treat - you will not regret it. I did it in 07 and I just did it for Louisville, and it was the shit. We got 5th row, just about dead center... Not to mention how amazing the band is now. Being up close is the way to do it.

Yeah, but outside of the great seat, what the hell did you get out of it ??

VAiN
02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, but outside of the great seat, what the hell did you get out of it ??

Not much... one of the $40 tour long sleeve shirts, a VH tin with picks and a useless laminate... the experience is very cool though.. in early and hanging out in a party room is pretty cool. There's a raffle, but I didn't win anything this time. 07 featured open bar on beer, but this time we only got 2 beer tickets a piece and then you could only buy liquor at $7.50 a pop... fortunately I sat at a table with a non-drinker, so I inherited a few beers.. So yeah, other than a bad ass seat in the first 10 rows, you don't really get much.

BITEYOASS
02-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Not much... one of the $40 tour long sleeve shirts, a VH tin with picks and a useless laminate... the experience is very cool though.. in early and hanging out in a party room is pretty cool. There's a raffle, but I didn't win anything this time. 07 featured open bar on beer, but this time we only got 2 beer tickets a piece and then you could only buy liquor at $7.50 a pop... fortunately I sat at a table with a non-drinker, so I inherited a few beers.. So yeah, other than a bad ass seat in the first 10 rows, you don't really get much.

Does the party room bar make Super-Laters? :)

VAiN
02-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Does the party room bar make Super-Laters? :)

Man, I wish... Although I do suppose it's possible for enough cash.. like a $25 drink...

VanCanHalen
02-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Vain, when you booked your VIP tickets this year did you book right away (ie the moment they went on sale) or later, just trying to see time span from your booking to where you were seated, thanks!

VAiN
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Vain, when you booked your VIP tickets this year did you book right away (ie the moment they went on sale) or later, just trying to see time span from your booking to where you were seated, thanks!

They went on sale at 10:30 and we had them within 20-30 min... I waited till I got a tweet, but that was a bit delayed. It took me by surprise, to be honest - in 07 they went on sale around 4 or 5, if i remember correctly.. So be alert!

Va Beach VH Fan
02-22-2012, 08:14 AM

Absolute rip-off.... So disappointing....

VAiN
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Absolute rip-off.... So disappointing....

For the most part I agree... I feel a meet & greet or at least a sound check should be included. Not having open bar is beyond retarded. I think I was most upset about that one... I mean really - what does a keg cost??

Va Beach VH Fan
02-22-2012, 09:09 AM
For the most part I agree... I feel a meet & greet or at least a sound check should be included. Not having open bar is beyond retarded. I think I was most upset about that one... I mean really - what does a keg cost??

Well, let's be clear though....

Not only didn't you have a meet&greet, you also weren't around for the soundcheck either, right ?

I recall in previous tours some VIP packages would be around during the soundcheck, Ed would pass out picks, etc....

Momshell
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
there's no meet and greet but when I did VIP for MSG on the last tour we got to walk around backstage and see the boys' dressing rooms - totally by accident we ran into Eddie walking through the halls - he had no shirt on and didn't even acknowledge us, despite the money we spent to be there...the cool part was that I was very pregnant at the time and he bumped into my big belly, blessing my youngest child!!! so, you never know....

chi-town324
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I spent $150 and got floor seats, that was enough. I agree you should at least get a sound check for that kind of money.

So this is love
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
You people going VIP`s are incredibly rich to spend that kind of money with no return...I wish I could do this and not feeling bad about it.

mmrrname
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
So, what time can you show up with the party tickets? I just wanted the VIP tix to get close to the stage, and would rather toke a stogie outside until showtime than sit in a green room for three hours.

DaveTheScott
02-22-2012, 11:58 PM
If I'm not meeting the band, and I'm not invited to the after party, fuck their VIP tickets. I'd rather meet up with some of the other ROTHARMY brothers and sisters and go close some place down. Maybe go to the drunk tank even.

fryingdutchman
02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
I think somewhere around the forums somebody posted that there was talk about removing the "hockey stick" stage runway that extends into the audience.

If that is true, then it make's the VIP tix even more questionable...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
The catwalk is NOT shown right now on Ticketmaster's diagram for tonight's show in Chicago....

Doesn't mean it won't be there, but we'll see....

VAiN
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, let's be clear though....

Not only didn't you have a meet&greet, you also weren't around for the soundcheck either, right ?

I recall in previous tours some VIP packages would be around during the soundcheck, Ed would pass out picks, etc....

You are correct. At least in 07 we got to hear the soundcheck - which I believe was on accident - but it still happened.
I knew going into it that there wouldn't be a meet & greet, so I just went into it expecting a killer seat.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Mine is even better yet. David is going to personally hand me my vip ticket back stage lucky me can't wait

That's one helluva Internet connection you got there, all the way from where you actually are in Mandeville, Louisiana to where you're pretending to be in Los Angeles !!

Is that correct, Honeybaby?? Or is that "vanfreak101", or is that "davidrth101"??

Jagermeister
02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
That's one helluva Internet connection you got there, all the way from where you actually are in Mandeville, Louisiana to where you're pretending to be in Los Angeles !!

Is that correct, Honeybaby?? Or is that "vanfreak101", or is that "davidrth101"??

Those pesky IP addy's. Gota love um. :biggrin:

VAiN
02-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Mine is even better yet. David is going to personally hand me my vip ticket back stage lucky me can't wait

What color is the sky on your planet?

mmrrname
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I dunno. I figure I get to see VH from up close for what might be the last time. Anything else is gravy.

VanCanHalen
02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
I know there's some negative thoughts on the whole VIP thing.........lol I dont necessarily dissagree. In the big picture on paper worth it....probably not, however for me its all about the seats. I never saw the band in their so called prime do to my age so knowing that there is probably not a lot of tours left in them makes it "Priceless" fuck this should be an Mastercard commercial lol

GreenEyedMurder
02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm doing the 3rd tier (somewhere in the 1st 20 rows) for Thurs night, and just got the email from VIPNation this morning. It has instructions on where to go at what time, contact info, blah blah blah.

Diamondjimi
02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
I was second row floors in front of Ed on the Fair Warning tour...

Ticket price? $10.50 But worth a million! :thumb:

scott b
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Yo Vain, did i read correctly when you said you only get 2 drinks with the VIP package? dam it,its gonna cost me a hundred bucks for drinks and shots on top of what i paid for tier 2 for Orlando and Los Angeles each nite .What time did you have to be at the venue? Maybe if i start drinking by noon i wont mind as much.Ya know what yes i will,that SUCKS!

jero
02-28-2012, 05:35 AM
So I paid more then $1000 to get a t shirt and 2 beers! Sounds like a pretty good deal!
But front row seats are the shit

Seshmeister
02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Robbery!

Carmine
02-28-2012, 06:57 AM
14th row, center...for $150...bought this past Saturday for the show in Atlantic City...

:amen:

VAiN
02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Yo Vain, did i read correctly when you said you only get 2 drinks with the VIP package? dam it,its gonna cost me a hundred bucks for drinks and shots on top of what i paid for tier 2 for Orlando and Los Angeles each nite .What time did you have to be at the venue? Maybe if i start drinking by noon i wont mind as much.Ya know what yes i will,that SUCKS!

You are correct! Everyone gets 2 beer, NOT cocktail, tickets. I was looking forward to the beer flowing.
We met-up at 5:15, so you'll be there a while. We weren't allowed to stay in the party room once KATG started - which also kind of sucked.

Sweet Irony
02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
14th row, center...for $150...bought this past Saturday for the show in Atlantic City...

Wow....nice deal!! Have fun!

Va Beach VH Fan
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
KISS just released their VIP package details for their tour with the Crue....

If you wanna spend the big bucks, THIS is how you treat your fans....

Meet & Greet + Soundcheck Package ($1250.00)
Qty:
Each KISS Meet & Greet + Soundcheck Package includes:
One reserved ticket in the first 10 rows of the stage*
Exclusive Meet & Greet with KISS
Personal photograph with KISS
Autograph session with KISS**
Exclusive access to KISS's pre-show soundcheck
Specially designed KISS tour shirt
Exclusive VIP custom designed 18k gold plated KISS ring
Set of official KISS guitar picks (with custom case)
Official Meet & Greet laminate
Commemorative VIP ticket
Crowd-free merchandise shopping
On-site VIP host

*Exact seat location available at show. Ticket allocated based on time and date of purchase.
**2 item limit. No instruments, guitars, pick guards, etc.
You will be required to sign a waiver & release of liability.
Package details subject to change without notice.

VIP Tour Package ($300.00)
Qty:
Each KISS VIP Tour Package includes:
One reserved ticket in the first 17 rows of the stage*
Specially designed KISS tour shirt
Exclusive VIP custom designed 18k gold plated KISS ring
Set of official KISS guitar picks (with custom case)
Official VIP commemorative laminate
Commemorative VIP ticket
On-site VIP host

*Exact seat location available at show. Ticket is allocated based on time & date of purchase.
Package details subject to change without notice.

Momshell
03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Oops. Didn't mean to say thanks! Was just gonna say Kiss is not VH. Nothing against them...just not a fan!

Va Beach VH Fan
03-22-2012, 03:44 PM
That's not the point...

The point is that they give you the bang for your buck....

Besides the great seat....

Meet & Greet
Personal photograph
Autograph session
Soundcheck

And all the other stuff they mentioned....

Madison Square Garden for VH VIP was what, $1000 or so ??

And what did you get, a half-assed backstage tour, a couple of picks and a beer or two??

It really hurts me to say it, but VH is absolutely ROBBING their VIP customers, when they SHOULD be bending over backwards for the price they're paying.....

Momshell
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure whether this is totally up to the bands or if it's the outcome of discussions with management. I'm not sure if it's based on need in terms of sales or keeping the fans happy. I also think it's a personal choice. I'm pretty sure I got ripped off on all of my tix, VIP and regular. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Had the time of my life in the 4th row at MSG. Will remember that night forever. Already forgot what I paid for it. Wish I could've given Dave a hug and gotten his autograph, but I'm ok with the good seats alone.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure whether this is totally up to the bands or if it's the outcome of discussions with management. I'm not sure if it's based on need in terms of sales or keeping the fans happy. I also think it's a personal choice. I'm pretty sure I got ripped off on all of my tix, VIP and regular. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Had the time of my life in the 4th row at MSG. Will remember that night forever. Already forgot what I paid for it. Wish I could've given Dave a hug and gotten his autograph, but I'm ok with the good seats alone.

If you're content, of course that's the important thing....

But it should be much, much more for those prices....

Now in terms of whose decision it ultimately was, it may have ultimately been Management's decision, but let's not fool ourselves and try to think that the band didn't have a shitload of input on what would, and more importantly, what would NOT be included in these VIP packages.....

Don't get me wrong, the new album and the tour have been absolutely fantastic, and I'm sure we're going to have a fucking blast in Greensboro next month, but these VIP packages are an absolutely travesty.....

Hardrock69
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Seriously....A THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS?

THAT IS A LOAD OF FUCKING CRAP!

I mean, if you had 1,000 fans sign up for that over the course of the tour....that is ONE MILLION DOLLARS! And for WHAT? Well , it is actually, what....$895 or something? But that is nitpicking...

As much as I love Van Halen, that is a serious case of ass-raping the fans. I do not like that at all. Sure it is nice to have seats in the first few rows, but you could get that through scalpers for half the price!

Van Halen should read this thread and see what Kiss is doing for their fans! That is how it SHOULD be done!

I have said it before, and I will say it again, if it were not for their FANS, Van Halen would not have their mansions, their Lambos, Ferraris, etc.

If it were not for their fans, Ed would not have met Val, and would not have Wolfy either!

Sorry.....this just pisses me off. :mad:

No fucking way would I shell out that kind of cash unless it was something marvelous like the Kiss Meet And Greet package. Even if I were a zillionaire.

Nitro Express
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
They would have to sweeten the deal with some pretty nice whores for me to pay that kind of money.

The prices reflect what the market is willing to pay. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying see Van Halen or else. Stupid fuck heads who love to get ass raped are willing to pay these prices, so those selling go ok, we can get away with this and so they do.

It's not the band that's fucked or even the promoter. It's the fans willing to buy an overpriced product. They have the right to charge whatever they want and you we have the right to accept or reject that price.

Believe me ass soon as the seats start to empty and the T-Shirts no longer sell, the prices will come down in a hurry.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Seriously....A THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS?

THAT IS A LOAD OF FUCKING CRAP!

I mean, if you had 1,000 fans sign up for that over the course of the tour....that is ONE MILLION DOLLARS! And for WHAT?

As much as I love Van Halen, that is a serious case of ass-raping the fans. I do not like that at all. Sure it is nice to have seats in the first few rows, but you could get that through scalpers for half the price!

Van Halen should read this thread and see what Kiss is doing for their fans! That is how it SHOULD be done!

I have said it before, and I will say it again, if it were not for their FANS, Van Halen would not have their mansions, their Lambos, Ferraris, etc.

If it were not for their fans, Ed would not have met Val, and would not have Wolfy either!

Sorry.....this just pisses me off. :mad:

No fucking way would I shell out that kind of cash unless it was something marvelous like the Kiss Meet And Greet package. Even if I were a zillionaire.

Absolutely....

And if VH offered everything that KISS was, I'd seriously consider it for a one-time deal....

Hardrock69
03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey Nitro, I agree. But if they had some real integrity, I would think they would feel sorry for taking advantage of people like this, and would want to provide them with a REAL "once-in-a-lifetime" experience. A free shirt, 2 free beers, some picks and a laminate are all items that can easily be had elsewhere. Hardly "once-in-a-lifetime".

By the way, VAiN, what was the prize for the raffle? Would they allow you to lick the floor where Ed stood earlier in the day while scratching his butt? And did you have to buy a raffle ticket? Or was it included?

I mean, look.....I can understand wanting to balance the VIP thing against wanting to have their privacy, or whatever. But come ON. Even if you spend one hour a day......and this is only on a SHOW day.....the goodwill towards fans is a priceless asset solely in terms of PR!

Look at what Garth Brooks does...picks some fan, says "Hey you are my one-millionth paying customer", gives the fan a bunch of new tour merch and a brand new Z-28, treats the fan like a GOD for that entire day......not only is that fan thrilled to pieces and has the most amazing fucking experience any Garth fan could hope for.....but look at what is happening at this VERY SECOND! I am typing about this incident!

And YOU...the READER of this post are READING about it.....and we are BOTH thinking to ourselves...."Man, Garth Brooks is a fucking CLASS ACT who treats his fans incredibly well!"

Here is what I found out by Googling this.

On 7/20/96, at a show in Denver, Garth Brooks played to an audience that included the one-millionth ticket-buyer for his three-year-long world tour. Garth celebrated the occasion by giving the ticket holder flowers, tour merchandise and a brand new Chevrolet Z-28 Camaro.

More recently, in 2009, Brad Paisley gave the one-millionth ticket-holder of his current tour a 2009 Chevy Silverado in Jacksonville, FL.

And this, from 2006:

from allaboutcountry.com:

Tim & Faith Honor 1,000,000th ''Soul2Soul II Tour'' Ticketholder

When doors opened Friday night for the second night of a three-day sold-out run of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's "Soul2Soul II Tour" at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, a very lucky fan, was greeted with an unbelievable surprise.

Christine Nevins, was the one millionth ticket to go through turnstiles since the tour launched on April 21st, and Christine, and her husband Eric, were whisked away to a private meeting with Tim and Faith, followed by the unveiling of a special gift: a brand new, Dodge Charger!

"I cannot believe this!", shouted Christine upon receiving her prize. "This car is mine", she told her husband, "and nobody is driving it but me", she added immediately after Tim and Faith autographed the inside driver's side door.

I am of course not saying bands should give new cars to everyone as part of the VIP package,lol.
But the above are examples of artists who realize the PR value of treating their fans not as some kind of generalized ATMs, but as valuable members of their global fan community.

Rock bands should take a page from the "Country Musician's Guide To Treating Their Fans".

Kiss is like that...Iron Maiden is like that......there are VERY FEW bands who care enough about their fans to go out of their way like that to make the fans feel absolutely special.

2 beer tickets? Fuck that fucking shit!

Here is what I would do:

Free booze, before, during, and after soundcheck. If it were my band, I would have a real soundcheck, THEN have the VIP people come in and I would perform 3 songs just for them.
Then meet them and give them picks, and one lucky person would get a guitar. I mean, what the fuck, the price of a single VIP package for that day would cover the expenses of ALL the VIP guests, even with a guitar that would wholesale for 4-500 bucks. I would want to do like Kiss is doing...give them some kind of gold-plated thing, a complete CD catalog, including something rare...like a never released set of demos or some shit. Give them tickets in the first 10 rows. Something just OVER THE TOP KICKASS!

Kiss is doing it right. Hands down. They are giving the fans an experience that is EASILY worth $1250. I mean, fuck....even I would shell out that sort of bread if I had it if I could meet Gene and Paul once in my life. Certainly if I could meet Dave or Ed.

And here is what says it best:

Kiss's VIP package for $300 bucks is STILL (even at only $300) BETTER than Van Halen's $895 'Ultimate' VIP package!

Nitro Express
03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey look. Van Halen pretty much treats their fans like shit but for the most part they fill the venues and the albums sell. If you were in their shoes would you care that much? That band has been very lame as far as having any ongoing relationship with it's fans. Be glad this is what you are getting.

Hardrock69
03-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I am.

But just because I am does not mean I cannot make observations like the one above, eh?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Then meet them and give them picks, and one lucky person would get a guitar.

I've been wondering why EVH has been bringing out all of those different Charvel's..... Who knows ??

Hardrock69
03-22-2012, 07:10 PM
And YES...if I were in their shoes I WOULD care that much. But that is just me. I am not Ed, or Dave.....

ZahZoo
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
If you're content, of course that's the important thing....

But it should be much, much more for those prices....

Now in terms of whose decision it ultimately was, it may have ultimately been Management's decision, but let's not fool ourselves and try to think that the band didn't have a shitload of input on what would, and more importantly, what would NOT be included in these VIP packages.....

Don't get me wrong, the new album and the tour have been absolutely fantastic, and I'm sure we're going to have a fucking blast in Greensboro next month, but these VIP packages are an absolutely travesty.....

I agree with the album and tour being great... but...

The final decision of what is included has to come from the band... especially any human interaction. The Promoter & management may have the call on trinkets and crap... but look at the KISS package... wholesale net cost for shirts, laminates, picks, a piece of crap gold "plated" ring, etc... even with shipping from China their net expense is less than $100 per pop, probably less than $50...

Meet n Greet, photos. autographs & sounds check... Let's look at the logistics. With KISS those guys have to spend an hour or two getting into make-up/costume. Van Halen... no wardrobe, maybe 10-15 minutes for Dave to do some stretches and pick his opening Matador jacket. Organized... 30-60 minutes for the meet n greet, pictures and autographs tops. Sound check happens every show... what does it matter if there's a handful of folks beyond crew and security present.

So Van Halen chooses to fore go maybe an hour of fan interaction and half the bling... and charge $100-200 less per package... it's not about cost. Definitely not about time... they are at the venue already. Not about wardrobe or make-up...

Boils down to they don't want the fan interaction... be it fear, laziness or some other psychosis that motivates them... who knows. It just blows for the fans and I have no sympathy for anyone who buys a VH VIP package and whines. If you're willing to take it... bend over and smile.

Hardrock69
03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
I will say this: They are free to do as they wish. I DO feel lucky they are touring, definitely am thrilled at the new album, and totally stoked that I get to see them for the first time WITH DAVE since 1983! FUCKING 29 YEARS OF WAITING!

WOOHOO!

But I do look at Maiden, Kiss, and other bands and think....man....they could just go that extra mile....

Oh well. Whatever.

mmrrname
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Pittsburgh and other shows this week are "Closed," not "Sold Out." So, it might be worth trying to buy regular tickets the day of the show, you might get great seats that are released that day. I once saw AC/DC from the 10th row, right next to the ego ramp, when I bought same-day tix.

ODShowtime
03-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Pittsburgh and other shows this week are "Closed," not "Sold Out." So, it might be worth trying to buy regular tickets the day of the show, you might get great seats that are released that day. I once saw AC/DC from the 10th row, right next to the ego ramp, when I bought same-day tix.

Yep I just looked Tampa has tickets right now that aren't even on the floor for $333 a pair. Jesus tap dancing Christ! No thanks. Man. Fuck. All these orange-skinned, coiffed CEOs and their latest dime pieces sitting down watching the Mighty Van Halen while I sit outside, too smart to be fleeced.

GreenEyedMurder
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
That's not the point...

The point is that they give you the bang for your buck....

Besides the great seat....

Meet & Greet
Personal photograph
Autograph session
Soundcheck

And all the other stuff they mentioned....

Madison Square Garden for VH VIP was what, $1000 or so ??

And what did you get, a half-assed backstage tour, a couple of picks and a beer or two??

It really hurts me to say it, but VH is absolutely ROBBING their VIP customers, when they SHOULD be bending over backwards for the price they're paying.....

MSG was $1250, I believe.

scott b
04-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Doing the VIP thing tonite in Orlando.From what i have been reading i think i might be in for a little disappointment.I will throw my 2 cents in tomorrow about it.

Panamark
04-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Fuck that !

If I paid for VIP, I would want all the grog I could swill, at the very least a handshake, smile
and an autograph, a freakin bag of goodies like picks that Eddie actually used in the
soundcheck, good quality tour shirt. AND FRONT ROW CENTER FIRST 2 ROWS !

Look at all the posts here over the years where our posters have casually run into
Van Halen members at Airports, Deli's and even freakin fishing wharfs.

They got to speak to the dudes. How much did that cost ??? Zilch...
And they have a much better tale to tell..

After reading all of this, when they head to Oz, I will seek out good seats,
but screw the VIP package. But hey, you never know, it might change outside
the US. (wouldnt hold my breathe)
For those that paid, have a blast, at least you got guaranteed VIP
seating.

A lot of us here have at some point been involved with the music industry.
One thing I noticed after playing even smaller gigs, once you meet Rockstars
and get over the whole "Oh my god Im gonna pass out, its GOD right here"
and just accept dudes as everyday dudes, the whole "OMIGOD" thing dissapears.

Conversely the "Rockstar" will more than likely have a casual chat
to you... Im not sure I would want to be in a "Speed Date meet and greet"
deal in any case. Awkward, forced and pretentious.

Sucks that the entire details of the VIP package were not disclosed upfront.
Poor Form indeed.

adena dodds
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Wait, so these fools that paid nearly a thousand dollars to get shuffled around in a single file (miiatery style) line for a handshake and may not even get that much? Been there done that. I had even told my priest after leaving Mass one Sunday that I'm gonna to need more that a hand shake for $500.00 bones. He laughed and said, "I know." I get more out of shaking my priests hand every Sunday than paying for it for nothing. Let's face it, for that kind of money I'm going to need a water bed included in that package deal! A California King to be exact! ha,ha,ha! At least my priest feeds me the body and blood of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and gives me food for thought when preaching The Good News...Something this world needs alot more of and is lacking tremendously...to the point of paying a rockstar $500.00 for nothing. Now who's the one laughing their way all the way to the bank? Thank God I can't afford much. Thank God. I'm glad we did it way back when, when they actually had a party with food, booze and midget bodyguards smoking pot, all for free. Yea we had our back against the record machine and Alex Van Halen tried to finger me from behind when I jumped on his back! Ha,ha,ha! I guess I asked for it! We were all buzzed up from drinking before the show in the hotel bar (at 17 years old) and hiding out from our boyfriends! We actually made a toast that night that we were going to meet Van Halen back in 1984. And we did. Yes, we were blessed with a wonderful childhood. It's a beautiful life!...Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...La la la la..la,La la la la la, la, la. I'm so grateful for being blessed to have been brought up in the 80's. It is and always will be the best decade ever. There was no other decade quite like it, and as hard as they may try....ya had to be there! No? Looking out of dirty old windows, see the kids on the street go rushing by, I sit here alone and I wonder why. We're the kids in America...everybody live for the music go round...da da da da da hey! We had some cool rocker chicks in the eighties, that's for sure! Fuck Britiney Spears and Christina Agulara! It's all Madonnas fault! Or can we blame it all on Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan? Huh? The question is, is it the joke or the punch line that comes first now-a-days?...I'm still trying to figure it out. Pretty confusing isn't it?
Fuck that !

If I paid for VIP, I would want all the grog I could swill, at the very least a handshake, smile
and an autograph, a freakin bag of goodies like picks that Eddie actually used in the
soundcheck, good quality tour shirt. AND FRONT ROW CENTER FIRST 2 ROWS !

Look at all the posts here over the years where our posters have casually run into
Van Halen members at Airports, Deli's and even freakin fishing wharfs.

They got to speak to the dudes. How much did that cost ??? Zilch...
And they have a much better tale to tell..

After reading all of this, when they head to Oz, I will seek out good seats,
but screw the VIP package. But hey, you never know, it might change outside
the US. (wouldnt hold my breathe)
For those that paid, have a blast, at least you got guaranteed VIP
seating.

A lot of us here have at some point been involved with the music industry.
One thing I noticed after playing even smaller gigs, once you meet Rockstars
and get over the whole "Oh my god Im gonna pass out, its GOD right here"
and just accept dudes as everyday dudes, the whole "OMIGOD" thing dissapears.

Conversely the "Rockstar" will more than likely have a casual chat
to you... Im not sure I would want to be in a "Speed Date meet and greet"
deal in any case. Awkward, forced and pretentious.

Sucks that the entire details of the VIP package were not disclosed upfront.
Poor Form indeed.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Do NOT call them fools. They are dedicated, hardcore Van Halen fans who made the decision to purchase the VIP packages.

Would I do it? No, as I've articulated several times in this thread. But that doesn't mean I'm going to denigrate those that do.

adena dodds
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
My intension was not to degrate anyone at all and I appologise if I did. But you see, I thought that the ecomony was bad and that 1 in 5 children go to bed hungry in America, which is uncalled for (how would you ike it). I would sooner donate the 500.00 bones to a charity or homeless shelter or a soup kitchen, but that's just me. I guess I have finally grown up after 30 yrs. of being a die hard Van Halen fan. Well, I'm actually more of a David Lee Roth fan more than anything. Sorry if I have offended anyone that may not have had the chance to have had as much fun as I did as a kid. And to get it out of your system at a young age like I did. Like I said, I'm glad I don't have alot of money to burn, but if I did, I'd spend it in a different way. I had to get alot of my priorities straight at a youg age and it's through juggling nickles that I have arrived o this point in my life and money reallly doesn't grown on trees like my father used to tell us. Why does it have to be so expensive anyway? What does it have cost for a picture and an autograph? To each his own...Good luck to all!
Do NOT call them fools. They are dedicated, hardcore Van Halen fans who made the decision to purchase the VIP packages.

Would I do it? No, as I've articulated several times in this thread. But that doesn't mean I'm going to denigrate those that do.

Panamark
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
VA, were the details of what was included with "VIP" purchase ever disclosed up front ?

Dont know about you, but I wouldnt buy anything for that amount without having
half an idea. Just glad that the fans that did pay will have the best seats possible.
Some could argue, that this tour may be the last, and as a fan what price are
you willing to pay to get guaranteed "awesome" seats if the band is indeed going out with a bang...

Va Beach VH Fan
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Sure they were....

http://vipnation.com/programs/van-halen/

VAN HALEN
Great seats, backstage tours, pre-show parties, exclusive gifts and more!

ULTIMATE VIP PACKAGE
One reserved ticket in the front row
Backstage tour
Pre-show party
Parking (where available)
Early entrance into the venue
Van Halen Ultimate VIP commemorative laminate
Exclusive Van Halen gift bag
Commemorative VIP ticket
On-site VIP Host

VIP PACKAGE
One reserved ticket in rows 2-15
Backstage tour
Pre-show party
Early entrance into the venue
Van Halen VIP commemorative laminate
Exclusive Van Halen gift bag
Commemorative VIP ticket
On-site VIP Host

TOUR PACKAGE
One reserved ticket in the first 20 rows
Exclusive Van Halen gift
Commemorative VIP ticket
On-site VIP Host

ZahZoo
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
If someone wants to blow that kind of money for a good seat and trinkets... that's their dime.

I'm sure the band appreciates your overwhelming generosity...

hambon4lif
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
If someone wants to blow that kind of money for a good seat and trinkets... that's their dime.

I'm sure the band appreciates your overwhelming generosity...I'm sure they do!

That's an awful lot of cash to throw down for a fuckin' guitar pick and a baloney sandwich....

VAiN
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
This talk about prices is getting annoying. Yes, they're expensive. Things cost more. Accept it or don't.
I don't regret either time I did the VIP thing for VH. It's all about the seat. Anything else is just gravy.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Hence the phrase, "it's your dime".....

adena dodds
04-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I'd pay the price if the only seat was on David Lee Roth's face....Sorry, but that's just how I feel...God help me.
This talk about prices is getting annoying. Yes, they're expensive. Things cost more. Accept it or don't.
I don't regret either time I did the VIP thing for VH. It's all about the seat. Anything else is just gravy.

fwacf
04-14-2012, 08:27 AM
I've done the VIP thing three times..... Joe Walsh(James Gang) -He was very non aproachable-Group phot's onlly and presignes stuff....wouldn't even sign my vinyl! Then there was David Coverdale via Whitesnake at a small venue in MI...BEST TIME EVER...Coverdale and the ENTIRE band-Gave David Coverdale a DVD of California Jam when he was in Purple..Very awesome experience. Then there was the Scorpions in Detroit....LAME!
I guess it all depends on the bands.....For me to slam down a few hundred in early 2000,no problem. Now with the entire economy in the toilet...I make eagles squeal! (squeal meaning I hold onto quaters so tight the eagle squeals)

Angel
04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Wow, one of the rare times I'm thankful I'm old. I was front row every show I saw when I was a kid. General Admission, tickets less than $10.

I love first row, it's a totally different experience. Interacting with the band, you become a part of the show. I have so many stories about those interactions.

Passing Dave a joint, Eddie kissing my hand, Dave looking into my eyes while singing "all my flavours are guaranteed..." while grinding his hips (we called it the dirty dog), Eddie grabbing my custom-made VH shirt out of my hands and throwing it across his shoulders, then turning his back so everyone could see it, Dave pointing at me and saying "there's this chick here...". Sigh, such wonderful memories, except...

Fair Warning tour. I'm in my spot, front row centre...and I have my first ever "panic attack" (really, needed a pacemaker but that comes 10 years later). I look at my boyfriend and say catch me, I'm going to pass...BOOM, down I go. I come to as Security is pulling me over the barricade in front of the stage, PANIC....I have no idea where I am, what's going on, I'm freaked...so I bolt, run to the side, leaving the security guys with baffled looks on their faces.

We go sit in seats on stage right...the panic settles...and I realize that had I not bolted, I would be sitting INSIDE the barricade.

When I got my pacemaker, tests showed I had a "possible interior infarct, age undetermined". I told my cardiologist what happened that night. His diagnosis: My heart stopped, which caused a minor heart attack. My panic attacks were self-explanatory...when you're freaking heart stops, you panic, period.

adena dodds
04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Gee that sucks. I've only had 2 panic attacks in my life and it wasn't at a rock concert. I also fainted twice. But now I'm a little more sensitive. I totally agree with you as far as 10 dollar tickets go and front row and pasing doobies around. Dave pulled me up on stage in 1988 a real dream come true. I had a dream about it the week before it actually happened....One of the coolest things that ever happened to me! Yea, we had the security guards all on our side most of the time. They had a crush on some of us and they would bring us backstage even without a pass....totally cool. I wore lepard to school before it was cool...Ricky Lee Jones. It sure was a different time and place.
Wow, one of the rare times I'm thankful I'm old. I was front row every show I saw when I was a kid. General Admission, tickets less than $10.

I love first row, it's a totally different experience. Interacting with the band, you become a part of the show. I have so many stories about those interactions.

Passing Dave a joint, Eddie kissing my hand, Dave looking into my eyes while singing "all my flavours are guaranteed..." while grinding his hips (we called it the dirty dog), Eddie grabbing my custom-made VH shirt out of my hands and throwing it across his shoulders, then turning his back so everyone could see it, Dave pointing at me and saying "there's this chick here...". Sigh, such wonderful memories, except...

Fair Warning tour. I'm in my spot, front row centre...and I have my first ever "panic attack" (really, needed a pacemaker but that comes 10 years later). I look at my boyfriend and say catch me, I'm going to pass...BOOM, down I go. I come to as Security is pulling me over the barricade in front of the stage, PANIC....I have no idea where I am, what's going on, I'm freaked...so I bolt, run to the side, leaving the security guys with baffled looks on their faces.

We go sit in seats on stage right...the panic settles...and I realize that had I not bolted, I would be sitting INSIDE the barricade.

When I got my pacemaker, tests showed I had a "possible interior infarct, age undetermined". I told my cardiologist what happened that night. His diagnosis: My heart stopped, which caused a minor heart attack. My panic attacks were self-explanatory...when you're freaking heart stops, you panic, period.

JenniferM
04-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Back in '99, me and some other members of the now defunct DLRML (David Lee Roth Mailing List) were lucky enough to be allowed to go backstage and meet Dave. If I remember correctly, he has had a major issue with a stalker in the past and we were told we couldn't like abruptly approach him or anything like that and no pics were to be taken. But, he was extremely engaging and answered all our questions.
I have no idea whether or not this is still an issue and may be part of the decisions that were made. At least, I am hoping that is part of the reason because the alternative is that they aren't that interested in interacting with the fans anymore. That would really SUCK for everyone.
By the way, we paid almost $200 each for our tickets (including taxes and Ticketbastard fees)and they aren't really anywhere near the stage. It will be worth it, though, considering my son is 18 and worships Eddie Van Halen. He is hoping and praying to catch a guitar pick. He asked me about the VIP package because he thinks we would get to meet the guys, but I told him there is no way I would spend that kind of money without a guarantee that we would. We are by no stretch of the imagination a wealthy family........

JenniferM

ThatArtGuy
04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Back in '99, me and some other members of the now defunct DLRML (David Lee Roth Mailing List) were lucky enough to be allowed to go backstage and meet Dave.

I remember that.

JenniferM
04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm the one that had her 10 year old daughter with her......

I remember that.

Hardrock69
04-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Well, Jenn, I will say this: Welcome back. Join date in 2004, and 33 posts since then. ;)

Pretty cool you got to meet Uncle Dave though. And yes, I am shelling out 183 bux for my ticket.

Normally would not have. Am so broke. But I may never get the chance to see Ed, Al and Dave play again on the same stage.

I still am not 100 percent counting on it, as the Gnashville show is still 2 weeks away.

But you could not keep me away from this show with an army of hagaritas, lol.

adena dodds
04-16-2012, 06:41 PM
1999 was the year that I fell head over heels for Kid Rock.....Dave who? I still love my rock and roll Jesus. I had my sister get free tickets to the Van Halen show but I've had issues with her or she has had issues with me since the day she was born so I went and bought one for myself thinking she wasn't going to pull through. At least her best friend which happens to be my friend as well went with her in my place and they got me down to a real good seat with them. I think the night went smooth thanks to her friend being there supervising us and my sister behavior towards me, it's to the point that anyone who knows us knows all too well the situation. I had protection that night so to speak and to be honest alot of fun with my sister/enemy. For the first time ever did we get along and that's say'ing alot! I think I'm gonna remember that more than anything. If it was Van Halens last hurale I'm goning to say; "Wow that's the night that my sister actually treated me like a human being!" Everything happens for a reason. She has yet to show me the pictures she took and to be honest I'm not going to go there! Orf shall I say I'm not going to hold my breath!
Back in '99, me and some other members of the now defunct DLRML (David Lee Roth Mailing List) were lucky enough to be allowed to go backstage and meet Dave. If I remember correctly, he has had a major issue with a stalker in the past and we were told we couldn't like abruptly approach him or anything like that and no pics were to be taken. But, he was extremely engaging and answered all our questions.
I have no idea whether or not this is still an issue and may be part of the decisions that were made. At least, I am hoping that is part of the reason because the alternative is that they aren't that interested in interacting with the fans anymore. That would really SUCK for everyone.
By the way, we paid almost $200 each for our tickets (including taxes and Ticketbastard fees)and they aren't really anywhere near the stage. It will be worth it, though, considering my son is 18 and worships Eddie Van Halen. He is hoping and praying to catch a guitar pick. He asked me about the VIP package because he thinks we would get to meet the guys, but I told him there is no way I would spend that kind of money without a guarantee that we would. We are by no stretch of the imagination a wealthy family........

JenniferM

JenniferM
04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
:ashamed:Yes, I know. Shame on me. I have lurked over the years and tried to keep up, but with being a working Mom with two kids to raise, kinda' didn't have a lot of spare time.
Kids are grown now....finally got one married off and the other started college this year, so I've got a little extra time..............
Hope you get to the Nashville show! I'm so excited to be going again! Haven't seen them together since January of '84 in Little Rock, Ark.

JenniferM

[QUOTE=Hardrock69;1641843]Well, Jenn, I will say this: Welcome back. Join date in 2004, and 33 posts since then. ;)

scott b
04-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Did the vip thing in orlando,the tickets were great along with the concert but EVERYTHING else along with it sucked!for those of you who have or are going to do it you know, or will find out soon enough.I cant believe i paid to do it in los angeles also,never again.the crap that they give you i have listed on ebay,hopefully recoup something,im done.

Mr Walker
05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Just saw that for every 2 VIP Premiere tickets you buy to see Slash, you get a autographed Les Paul Guitar.

Premiere VIP Package (for every 2 Premier tickets purchased, you will receive)
2 Early Entry Access into Venue (GA Shows Only)
1 Signed Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar
2 Meet & Greet w/Slash
And More!

Seshmeister
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
There must be a serious catch to that, the guitar would be worth more than the tickets.

ELVIS
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
The catch is that the true value of a Chinese Epiphone Les Paul is about twenty bucks...

loucap81
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I've done the VIP thing three times..... Joe Walsh(James Gang) -He was very non aproachable-Group phot's onlly and presignes stuff....wouldn't even sign my vinyl!

I'm not defending him but he's said many times he's uncomfortable talking to people, very shy in one-on-one situations but on a stage, he's fine.

When did you see that, 2006? I saw them at the Borgata in August 2006 and I'd seriously rank that as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

fwacf
05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Lou,
Saw them at Pine Knob (DTE) in Clarkston MI.....Road trip to see family.

I'm not defending him but he's said many times he's uncomfortable talking to people, very shy in one-on-one situations but on a stage, he's fine.

When did you see that, 2006? I saw them at the Borgata in August 2006 and I'd seriously rank that as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Northern Girl
05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Never again!

Mez talked me into it. A big rip off.

Northern Girl
05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Forgot to mention:

Don't know if it has been the norm or not, but the tier 1 and 2 VIP's got to go to soundcheck in MPLS. They said Ed was taking requests.

RedEye
05-22-2012, 07:57 AM
If I get soundcheck today and my seat in row 2-4 which is what I am estimating given when I bought mine... That will be an experience worth a little extra cash. If I sit in on a Van Halen soundcheck... To me that is an experience I will never forget. I hope KC VIPs get at least that.

Toddb
05-23-2012, 10:43 AM
The Winnipeg show we stopped by the arena a couple hours early. You could walk around in the hall but doors to seating were locked. Anyway we heard the full warmups and Eddie even played part of You and Your Blues....it rocked.

JK-47
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I know that they're Van Halen and all, but would it really hurt to at least have an auto'd photo waiting for your VIP guests?

ZahZoo
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Fan friendliness was tossed out with Al's neck brace several years ago...