X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

What band brought you to "rock" radio?

I'm talking about AM radio in the States. For me it was Steely Dan. I remember hearing Reeling In The Years for the first time and it pulled me in...And to this day I still believe this is the best jazz/rock/pop song ever recorded. Period. You know you're listening to it right now and agreeing with me..
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

• ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

in oz, we got used to seeing ac/dc on the telly a lot in the 70's. then kiss hit big.

reelin in the years is a great song, played it in a few bands. fun to play.

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Skyhooks,

Maiden did a cover of this some years later, but as with most things,
      cant beat the original ! RIP Graeme "Shirley" Strachan ...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sb4AdU6rbFc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sb4AdU6rbFc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

The Sweet

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2k1-kh6HbHQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><para m name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2k1-kh6HbHQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

AC/DC of course.... ELO, Slade, Angels and these guys

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8UoUXmKH_A?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8UoUXmKH_A?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Then I discovered the "Dark Side" which wasnt played on Radio...
            Mwahahaha

That started with the Sex Pistols, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.....
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I was 6 in '75 and thankfully, my Mom listened to rock radio. I still remember hearing Led Zeppelin's Kashmir and almost being scared by some parts! When you're a little kid, your ears can't comprehend what the hell they're being subjected to. Lots of Steely Dan, Eagles, Rolling Stones.... Ah the good old days.

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Panamark
                RIP Graeme "Shirley" Strachan ...
                Didn't he crash his helicopter while scoping out his dope crop?

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                  Didn't he crash his helicopter while scoping out his dope crop?
                  "Strachan was killed in a helicopter accident on 29 August 2001. He had been a fixed wing pilot for many years and had been undergoing training for a helicopter pilots licence, with a view to buying a helicopter and taking friends and family on surfing safaris. On a solo flight near Maroochydore in clear weather and inexplicably off the course planned by his instructor, Strachan encountered mountain turbulence which caused the rotor of his Bell 47G to sever the tailboom, crashing the helicopter onto a mountain slope"

He used to live(holiday?) across the road from my Granparents place at Cape Woolamai.
                  Was a regular at Cape Woolamai Surf Beach..
                  I met him, but I was a little kid, I was in awe that a "Rockstar" was
                  hanging out in the milkbar while I was playing the pinnies and Space Invaders.
                  I remember he said "Fuck" a lot, and was a total surfie dude....
                  He looked like he does in that clip I posted at the time.
                  That song kicks ass cranked up...
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

OK. Before 1983 I listened to a tiny alarm clock radio next to my bed every night. AM station rock. I think the songs that took me there & kept me there were stuff like I Want You To Want Me and a couple REO Speedwagon tunes. I'm just trying to think of the songs I can remember being played that I liked. Perhaps a couple Foreigner tunes & Billy Squire. Tom Petty I think was in there. Trying to think of the transition to FM Rock radio.

But I remember the final nail in the coffin that did it. As soon as I heard the opening riff to this I was sold for a lifetime of rock. Still love it to this day. I was 11 or 12.

Last edited by sadaist; 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                      OK. Before 1983 I listened to a tiny alarm clock radio next to my bed every night. AM station rock. I think the songs that took me there & kept me there were stuff like I Want You To Want Me and a couple REO Speedwagon tunes. I'm just trying to think of the songs I can remember being played that I liked. Perhaps a couple Foreigner tunes & Billy Squire. Tom Petty I think was in there. Trying to think of the transition to FM Rock radio.

But I remember the final nail in the coffin that did it. As soon as I heard the opening riff to this I was sold for a lifetime of rock. Still love it to this day. I was 11 or 12.
                      The last great Def Lep Album, that song has meaning for me too
                      I own the exact same Ibanez Destroyer as in that clip, my favourite guitar, its
                      in mint condition too.... I bought mine in 85 I think.
                      Great song, great guitar, great memories.
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Yount
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Panamark
                        Strachan encountered mountain turbulence which caused the rotor of his Bell 47G to sever the tailboom, crashing the helicopter onto a mountain slope
                        That's a cool story, I didn't mean any disrespect to Shirl either. It's just one of those rumours... Also my Dad used to call me Shirl all the time when I was a kid. Shirl the butcher. I hated it/got embarrassed by it because I thought Shirl was a girl!

My brush with Skyhooks fame (?) was Feb 2011 when I took a CPR and anaphalaxyis (can't spell it!) course and the guy running it looked EXACTLY like Red Symonds. Same sense of humour too.

Oh, and my venture in to rock? It's very hard to pinpoint. Watching Rage on ABC. I remember Ian Moss, Tucker's Daughter. Everyone was walking down highways wearing jeans with a permed mullet in the late 80's.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

yount, i think the rumour is just that.

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                            yount, i think the rumour is just that.
                            I just remembered I posted about this when it happened, here... But I cant find it in the
                            search, must have ben nuked in one of our downtimes. 11 years ago already.
                            Must have just missed your head Ash !!
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• if6was9
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2007

As a kid I was hooked by two rock operas: "Hair" and "Jesus Christ Superstar". In the early 1970s my dad brought the tapes from France and we were listening to them hundreds of times. Then I've heard "This Flight Tonight" from Nazareth and I think that was it.

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

Working...