PDA

View Full Version : Fair Warning vs 1984?

Glitter Tot
02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
OK, I’m struggling here. I can’t figure out my favourite Van Halen album. I need to know, just in case I am ever faced with the decision of which single VH disc to take to a desert island.

It’s a fairly obvious choice between two: Fair Warning and 1984.

Fair Warning – seminal, angry, edgy, brilliant. Side A is among the best unbroken vinyl grooves in rock album history. Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later. Four of Van Halen’s greatest tracks in glorious succession. Side B doesn’t let up either. By the time Unchained is over it’s a welcome relief to be brought down a few notches with the breezy, sleazy slow groove of When Push Comes To Shove. We all want to light up a cigarette with Dave after what feels like an orgy. So this Is Love? deserves it’s place towards the end of the album where most slightly sub-par or filler tracks tend to reside, then there’s the anti-climactic final two tracks (which plays out more like one track – and works best when thought of that way). Though the tone of these obscure tracks do add to the overall gritty aesthetic of Fair Waning, they clearly represent the albums Nadir. That said, hard to imagine Fair Warning ending any other way.

1984 – Contains the VH signature tunes Jump, Hot For Teacher and Panama. Like Fair Warning, Side A is flawless – even the instrumental opener creates an exciting, ominous mood. Whatever you might want to say about the saccharine pop sensibilities of Jump, it is beautifully juxtaposed by the crystalline hard rock perfection of Panama. The flippant vibe of Top Jimmy almost disguises the complex beauty of the guitar work and Drop Dead legs is mid-paced groove rock at its finest. Hot For Teacher has more than earned it’s stripes in the pantheon of hard rock history. I’ll Wait is not a bad song per se, it’s just not a particularly great track either and doesn’t rank anywhere near as high as the rest of the albums tracks. Girl Gone Bad on the other hand is not only the high point of 1984, but one of Van Halen’s best pieces of music period. The first 90 seconds or so summing up why Eddie Van Halen is among the most remarkable musicians of the 20th century. Though less anti-climactic than Fair Warning, 1984 closes with a throwback tune – a heavy riffing rocker that fades out unremarkably.

So in summary

Fair Warning:
Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained
Sub-par or filler: So this Is Love?
Low point: Sunday Afternoon In The Park, One Foot Out The Door

1984:
Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….

Dave's Bitch
02-27-2012, 04:57 AM
1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

Women and Children First beats them both though ;)

Yount
02-27-2012, 05:24 AM
You could probably just burn those two discs and make one CD. Problem solved.

sadaist
02-27-2012, 07:05 AM
1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

I will say it.

1984 is the BEST Van Halen album......to me anyways.

Was my first VH album. I had heard Running With the Devil, Pretty Woman, Dance The Night Away, and maybe Unchained but only in passing & never really "heard" them. 1984 blew me away with the videos and made me go & purchase all the other albums. My GOD! Imagine just discovering VH and having 5 more albums to explore & discover. HOLY SHIT was that an awesome summer!

sadaist
02-27-2012, 07:10 AM
So in summary

Fair Warning:
Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained

1984:
Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….

You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.

Glitter Tot
02-27-2012, 07:36 AM
You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!

Yeh thanks for reminding me, it's an amazing solo - one of the best on the album, almost a precursor to the kind of sound Steve Vai would usher in a few years down the track (yeh I know he was with Zappa at the time, but mostly playing written parts not solos). Like I said in my wrap further up, Push Comes To Shove is the perfect come down after the orgasmic glory of the first five songs.

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."

Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point (don't count SAITP - I count them as one sone together)

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.

Cool drum sound. Unusual synth sound (sounds like it's played through an amp and mic'd up). Missing some bottom end as there's no bass. it's an OK song, that's all - IMO

ashstralia
02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
one of my fave bits from 1984... that outro solo in 'house of pain' slays me

btw GT; i didn't mean to call you a poof the other day... i just do that sometimes when i'm drunk. :)

Panamark
02-27-2012, 08:01 AM
going to say 1984, but I will put Fair Warning on more often as 1984 copped
radio exposeure bigtime, so some of the tunes have been overplayed.
Otherwise, its split down the middle for me....

Both equallly as good

binnie
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
It's 'Fair Warning'.

1984 would come near the bottom of my 6-pack - I don't think it's aged as well.....

sadaist
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point

It's kinda like choosing the worst pussy while you're fucking 10 playboy bunnies. Difficult indeed, but you're thankful for the opportunity to try.

golitely
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't say 1984 hasn't aged well, but the musical period in which it was made is obvious in listening to it. The other albums are a little more timeless.

conmee
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

I've listened to both, back-to-back, and I've figured it out for you. If you're on a desert isle you're gonna want 1984, as there are more tunes to sing/dance to and will keep you from burning down the few palm trees or grass hut you might have. Let's face it, you'll have plenty of time to be pissed and resentful that you are stranded, and FW is too aggressive and visceral for a deserted isle. It will drive you mad!!! Mad I say!!!

On the other hand, just when you're about to kill yourself after eating bananas and coconuts for 10 years straight (despite the health benefits), you can play Jump or the now very appropriately titled I'll Wait and soul will be soothed! Top Jimmy will bring a smile to your face and and you can enjoy the relentless pounding of the waves on your beach while drinking a semi-fermented cocktail of your own urine and various juices from the indigenous food stock (based on a similar recipe you learned in prison), toes in the sand drink in your hand kinda relaxation while Drop Dead Legs keeps your spirits up. And of course Panama and HFT is your workout soundtrack.

All in all, 1984 is more versatile.

That is all.

Icon~

ELVIS
02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
No, Jump and that sucky-ass 1984 intro would drive me mad, not to mention those balloon tire sounding bass drums...

Fair FUCKING Warning is my choice...

:elvis:

golitely
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Amen Brother Elvis, cut thru the shit and tell it like it is.
Jump, Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, God spare us having to listen to overplayed mediocre songs from bands that have much better music.
The real Q should be VH1 or FW.

conmee
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
You have a point with drums and rhythm section. But you fail to take into account the natives one isle over, who for 10 years, have learned the tunes and have the drums down, almost acting as a subwoofer or surround sound system. Your bass drums will be fine.

And "1984" will bore deep into your brain and will become a source of relaxation for you, allowing you, in effect, to Stay Frosty!

I mean look at you! "Fair FUCKING Warning?!?!" you are already waaaayyy too wound up for FW on an isle. In fact, we might have to put you at ease with DD and some Dancing In The Street!

That is all.

Icon~

ELVIS
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, I got the ultimate idea...

I'm gonna keep my own Van Halen mix CD in my pocket for the rest of my travels...

And when I'm on that island I'm gonna force the natives to build me a CD player while the native women feed me fish and coconut milk...

:elvis:

SNIPER
02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
First VH Song I ever heard was So This I Love. Many summers a ago when I used to record video's off MTV on my VHS. This was before 1984 came out and I was starting to get into harder rock stuff. I loved it from the start. But a few months later this incredible video Jump hit the air waves and I was blown away. I must have watched it 50 times a day. (I still have my vhs tape with it) I begged my parents for 7 bucks to buy me the album and I got it at Fedco. ...A few months later I got my mom to buy me the other 5 as she was also digging them. Fair Warning was so different than the rest of them to me but would become my favorite. I recently have been playing 1984 a lot. But, out of the 7. 1984 is my least favorite. I still love 1984 more than any other band.

SNIPER
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I used to cut out fake guitars out of cardboard and paint them up like Eddies. Even put a whammy bar on them attached with a wing nut. HAHA!! I would have my own concerts every night in my bed room and I was Eddie. haha. Those were the days!!

private parts
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
It's 'Fair Warning'.

1984 would come near the bottom of my 6-pack - I don't think it's aged as well.....

DD would be bottom of mine, but I would have to choose Fair Warning over 84. FW has this dark "we wear leather all day" vibe that takes me back to a time of smoking joints and driving around in my buddy's Trans Am. 1984 , although still awesome and perhaps VH's peak, had kind of a
do I dare say, commercial 80's vibe. Diver Down was the begining of this and Fair Warning was the tail end of that darker late 70's early 80's vibe. I'm really just talking vibe and feel here. Not the songs themselves because I would put some of 84 as the best VH ever.

conmee
02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

I probably have listened to FW a hell of a lot more than 1984 as an adult. But DD and 1984 are the soundtracks to my teen years when Hustler Scratch-n-Sniff centerfolds introduced me to laboratory-engineered vaginal aromas. So from an emotional and aromatic perspective, I have too many positive associations with 1984. It's my favorite because it brings me back to some fond memories. But FW is the album that gets you through the day when work sucks, the ex leaves you and takes half your shit, and you realize that you never achieved any of your dreams (not me, of course, I'm rollin' baby!)....

That is all.

Icon™©®

vandeleur
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
1984 was my first van album so has a place in my heart , but FW has a place in my stereo :)

Jagermeister
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Fair Warning:

You have to be fucking joking!

KSTONER
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh JEEEEZUZ. It's like asking me which ball I prefer. I need both of em' in order to impregnate women and later abort em'.....Shit.....I'm gonna go with.....daaahhhh....1984 because of House of Pain. I can't get enough of that... That fucking outro!

SNIPER
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Oh JEEEEZUZ. It's like asking me which ball I prefer. I need both of em' in order to impregnate women and later abort em'.....Shit.....I'm gonna go with.....daaahhhh....1984 because of House of Pain. I can't get enough of that... That fucking outro!

You can make a baby with one ball. Didn't you see Meet The Fockers?

sadaist
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
1984 was my first van album so has a place in my heart , but FW has a place in my stereo :)

LOL!

That's funny.

sadaist
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
You can make a baby with one ball.

Why would you want a baby with 1 ball?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/vomdetraumer/vomdetraumer0909/vomdetraumer090900047/5667657-the-sad-girl--baby-on-a-ball.jpg

This is so much better.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Baby_in_ball_pit.jpg

SNIPER
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Bwahahahaha!!!!!

EdVanZep
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Fair Warning is perfect from start to finish , could have done without I`ll Wait on 1984 but it`s damn near perfect

Nitro Express
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Fair Warning has the best memories. The week I bought that album was the year we had a foreign exchange student living with us. Luckily she was pretty cute. I was in my room listening to my new Fair Warning album when there was a knock at the door and when I said come in there she was in this little nighty and a nervous sexy smile. Hint Hint. One thing led to another and when we got down to busy Push Comes to Shove was playing. I never got laid to 1984 so I will have to go with Fair Warning.

Fairwrning
02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I do remember mowing my aunts yard that day,,getting the 10 bucks and going straight to the record store to get FW..seems like yesterday honestly

Momshell
02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Even though my first exposure to VH was 1984, I gotta go with Fair Warning - my fave of the 7-pack. Dave's attitude on FW still blows me away - so sexy!! Still like 1984 better than anything else by any other band, but it's low on my list of the 7.

lesfunk
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Fair Warning is the best album Van Halen made. 1984 is the worst of the 6 pack. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is fucked.
Thank you

Momshell
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Fair Warning is the best album Van Halen made. 1984 is the worst of the 6 pack. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is fucked.
Thank you

I agree! you're welcome!!

SunisinuS
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
It's 'Fair Warning'.

Ditto. Only two that fight it out in my head is Fair Warning and Van Halen II.

Matt White
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I'll throw my vote to 1984.........

let me say this...there is no "Low point" or "Bottom" to the 6-pack....

Pound for pound, track for track, VAN HALEN in their prime stack up against ANYBODY in music............LED ZEPP, STONES, BEATLES, etc etc etc.....not xtc, but that's another story....

1984 has aged BRILLIANTLY......NOBODY has put out a recorded work of finer quality....track for track...than 1984....in 28 years.....

I might LIKE FAIR WARNING better...hell, I might play DIVER DOWN more than 1984....still does not take away from the magnitude of the recording....

STELLAR....as our man MAX was fond of saying................

conmee
02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
...mowing my aunts yard...

Is that code for something... uh huh uh huh...

That is all.

Icon™©®

Catfish
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Fair Warning is second overall to the debut. This thread shouldn't even be a cuntest.

hambon4lif
02-27-2012, 09:09 PM
The first album is still the best, and anyone that doesn't think so can get on their fuckin' knees and THROAT ME!!!

Have A Real Nice Fuckin' Day, Motherfuckers!:thumb:

ELVIS
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
This thread isn't about the first album, deepthroat4lif...

Terry
02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Myself, can't remember the last time I put on 1984 because I actually wanted to hear the title track, Jump or I'll Wait.

Whereas Push Comes To Shove and Sunday Afternoon In The Park/One Foot Out The Door, while perhaps not as strong as the rest of the songs on the album, aren't tunes I ever have the desire to skip over.

Like, when I put 1984 in these days, sometimes I just bypass virtually all the first side, going straight to Drop Dead Legs, and only end up listening to Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain. As opposed to Fair Warning, which I'll still listen to from start-to-finish.

Am not saying 1984 was a bad album...in some ways an improvement over Diver Down...just not nearly as good as Fair Warning to my ears. When 1984 really got cooking, it gave as good as Fair Warning did. However, it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea from beginning to end like Fair Warning was.

King VH
02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Since we're only picking from Fair Warning and 1984, I'm going with Fair Warning. The first VH album I ever bought was 1984, so it has a special place in my heart, but Fair Warning goes for the jugular. Mean Streets, Hear About It Later, Unchained, and So This Is Love...NEED I SAY MORE???

Terry
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Ditto. Only two that fight it out in my head is Fair Warning and Van Halen II.

Interesting...

hambon4lif
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
This thread isn't about the first album, deepthroat4lif...When people are saying Fair Warning is the best of the 6-pack, yeah, it kinda is....

Fair Warning is a beast, but come the fuck on already!

34 years later, the first album isn't just Van Halens best album, it's the best album ever made...by anyone...ever!
If people actually think Fair Warning is better, I suggest they listen to the first one again, and a lot louder this time.

Jesus Christ
02-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Fair Warning is the best Van Halen album of all time.

Thus sayeth the Lord!

Yount
02-28-2012, 02:55 AM
What the fuck is wrong with everybody????

Not one mention of WACF

Momshell
02-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Are we seriously fighting over which album is the best? For me it's like asking me which of my kids is my favorite. I love em all - really hard to pick. If I had to say which one I'm most in the mood to listen to it's FW, but maybe that's just my mood lately. It really does depend on my mood and what I'm doing. I can't workout to VH II, but definitely can to FW and ADKOT. I love driving to I or II, or any of em for that matter. And there isn't a bad song anywhere on the 7-pack. "Love em all I says!!!"

Dave's Bitch
02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Are we seriously fighting over which album is the best?

We have been doing it for years :)

Everyone knows the first one is the best

Dave's Bitch
02-28-2012, 06:38 AM
What the fuck is wrong with everybody????

Not one mention of WACF

I believe I did in the first post ;)

Yount
02-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I believe I did in the first post ;)

ooh my bad.

Ok. What the fuck is wrong with everybody???

Only one mention of WACF

Panamark
02-28-2012, 07:07 AM
I believe the thread is asking which is better, 1984 or Fair Warning ?

Might explain people not mentioning other albums ? ;)

sadaist
02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I used to cut out fake guitars out of cardboard and paint them up like Eddies. Even put a whammy bar on them attached with a wing nut. HAHA!! I would have my own concerts every night in my bed room and I was Eddie. haha. Those were the days!!

Same here. I wonder if my 75,000 imaginary fans in my bedroom stadium miss me? I played guitar and was even lead singer sometimes. A couple tunes I was even the drummer!

So many imaginary bras were thrown up to me.....so many.

Golden AWe
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Fair Warning as a total is better, but Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs and Girl Gone Bad match ANY three VH songs...

sadaist
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
So.....I'd kinda like to see the rage when a newbie pops in and claims OU812 blows em both away.

47 members spontaneously combust with rage before even typing out a compelte sentence.

Von Halen
02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Fair Warning as a total is better, but Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs and Girl Gone Bad match ANY three VH songs...

What about House Of Pain?

sadaist
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM
47 members spontaneously combust with rage before even typing out a compelte sentence.

WTF?

I misspell complete but got spontaneous right?

sadaist
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM

I moved out after the divorce.

Yount
02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I can barely remember the first 6 albums, have played ADKOT flat chat for almost a month now.

I really liked Unchanged and Dirty Pictures from Fair Warning, There Goes My Teacher and Top Waldo from 1984. Such a tough choice.

It's like that other thread asking you to order the 6-pack. It all depends on what I had for breakfast, if I'm horny, philosophical, constipated, it's morning, night, raining, I'm full of prescription meds, bills are due, which end of the couch I'm on etc etc....

King VH
02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I can barely remember the first 6 albums, have played ADKOT flat chat for almost a month now.

I really liked Unchanged and Dirty Pictures from Fair Warning, There Goes My Teacher and Top Waldo from 1984. Such a tough choice.

It's like that other thread asking you to order the 6-pack. It all depends on what I had for breakfast, if I'm horny, philosophical, constipated, it's morning, night, raining, I'm full of prescription meds, bills are due, which end of the couch I'm on etc etc....

That middle line naming the Fair Warning tracks scared the shit outta me for 2.4 seconds!

Golden AWe
02-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Hell yeah!!!

rocking ron
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
FAIR WARNING....1984 ??? shake and mix those albums and take ADKOT to that fxxxx island!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocking ron
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
OK no bullshit, for me FAIR WARNING (with o.oooo1%)

chi-town324
02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
the summer of 1981 i was visited more than once by police officers at my apartment for disturbing the peace as i was blast "fair warning".....its no contest for me....as for 1984..i could really go forever never listening to jump, panama and maybe hot for teacher....i haven't sat down and played 1984 for years....they broke as mega stars with that album, and for me i was a little pissed...i already knew how great they were..i didn't need fucking MTV'S fancy videos, to tell me.. hey these guys are good...i would take any of the first 4 over 1984

Glitter Tot
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Seems that Fair Warning is a clear favorite and I totally understand why.

It's a fans album, you don't hear it on Classic Hits FM or see it on 80's nostalgia music video shows.

We can claim it as our own and don't have to share it with the masses.

And it balls out fucking rocks.

Fair Warning wins.

King VH
03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
When I first bought Fair Warning, it scared the shit out of me! It was so dark and heavy.

Green Manalishi
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Fair Warning - Hands down . Raw , primal , pure , ...just a few of the adjectives that come to mind when describing this album . It is the defining classic Van Halen album . A great band in their prime and at their creative peak and integrity intact ( i.e. no covers ) . " Unchained " , " Hear About It Later " , " Sinners Swing " , " So This Is Love ? " ,...man oh man - Perfection .
Trust me when I say that I'm not dismissing ANY of the other classic Van Halen albums - all purely brilliant , but , Fair Warning took it all to a whole new level .
On a personal level the Fair Warning album takes me back to a great time and place in my life . Last year in high school , first job , still had my first car , first time living out on my own , great circle of friends , it was the soundtrack to my life . Not to mention the Fair Warning tour was my first exposure to Van Halen live and it blew me away .

Mrkramer
03-13-2012, 04:53 AM
FAIR WARNING was a big Lp for me . Seen the Oakland stuff on Rock Arena here in Australia and couldn't fucking believe why this band was not big here... 1984 was the Lp that cracked them wide open world wide , Molly on Countdown did a interview with Roth and there were plans to tour .. But never happened... Fair i Warning totally smokes 1984.. IMHO

nailhead
03-16-2012, 04:32 PM
... that outro solo in 'house of pain' slays me

No shit, that is an awsome piece of work. Fair Warning wins hands down for me though.

SLAUGHTER MAN
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Thank you
Agree that FAIR WARNING IS THE BEST....but I leave Diver Down as number 7 of the best VH albums in order. Can't believe you would leave HOT FOR TEACHER...DROP DEAD LEGS...PANAMA..GIRL GONE BAD and HOUSE OF PAIN and wanna take (OH) PRETTY WOMAN...BIG BAD BILL...DANCING IN THE STREETS....SECRETS....and HANG 'EM HIGH instead. NO DOUBTS..Hang'em High..Full Bug...Little Guitars are great.

SNIPER
04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
FW, VH2, WACF, VH1, ADKOT, DD, 1984. ...There it is. FW and 84 are way far off on my list.

SNIPER
04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I think I am just burned out on 1984 with all the radio play a few of the songs get, so it sits low on my list. Especially after Gaygar butt fucked a couple of them to death. I still LOVE the album. It's just a little tired for me right now.

chefcraig
04-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Thank you

FW, VH2, WACF, VH1, ADKOT, DD, 1984. ...There it is. FW and 84 are way far off on my list.

Interesting, as I agree FW is #1 and 1984 should rate last. All that remains is a comparison of the others in rank. For me:

1. Fair Warning
2. WACF
3. ADKOT
4. Diver Down
5. VH II
6. VH
7. 1984

CROWBAR
04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
ooh my bad.

Ok. What the fuck is wrong with everybody???

Only one mention of WACF

Make it two. I like WACF best and Fair Warning second. I can't believe someone is actually asking if 1984 holds a candle to FW. It's the most commercial sounding of the bunch. Radio ate that one up. Fair Warning is dark and sinister.

SNIPER
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
DD was last for me for 20 years. But as time went by with no new VH I rediscovered it and treated it like a new album about 8 years ago. This is also my fav tour era and stage show.

vanshipman
05-22-2012, 04:45 AM
The opening of Mean Street is still one of the baddest intros ever recorded. Every song from Fair Warning is brilliant and Eddies solos are in your face, aggressive, and mean. His tone on that album in my opinion is the best ever as well. Heck you can even hear Sauce's bass! The whole band is cooking and Dave is just howling like a wolf dripping with attitude. Absolutely better than 1984, and their best ever in my humble opinion.

vh rides again
05-22-2012, 06:55 AM
LOL please

Fair warning is better than 1984 in too many ways to list.

Roth And Roll

fourthcoming
05-22-2012, 08:12 AM
WACF
FAIR WARNING
VHI/VHII
ADKOT
DIVER DOWN

I can't seem to make up my mind with VHI and VHII.......VHI is brilliant but I think because it gets so much radio play some of the tunes tend to be over-listened to.....Diver Down and 1984 sometimes flip flop in my mind also just because 1984 was completely originals and DD was not......there's just something about the sound of Diver Down that I really like. ADKOT is an instant classic, I don't care what anyone says about that.