PDA

View Full Version : Dave not officially in VH?

knuckleboner
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
ok, not to start shit, but what the hell, what's a van halen discussion without at least a little controvesy (real or imagined)?...

anybody else notice that in the liner notes, the songs are credited to "van halen/roth?"

i'm going to guess that this is just a legal thing, whereby the legal entity, van halen, is ed, al and wolf.

and it would seem to be a meaningless thing, since in the same liner notes, ed thanks "my bandmates, al, wolf and dave."

still, perhaps some lessens learned from past business dealings?

chi-town324
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
this had been brought up oh i don't know....more than a few times already

Catfish
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
And how come the liner notes don't say who plays which instrument? Not that we don't know...

kwame k
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Simple......when Dave left VH he left the name VH behind for anything in the future not the past. When they got back together they kept their management and it looks like publishing rights.

Dave is DDE.

Ed, Al and Wolf are 3 Twins, LLC.

Still a band but with separate management and looks like publishing.

Not anything new.....most bands have stopped doing all songs written by the band by the mid to late 90's.

ELVIS
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
From a legal standpoint, Van Halen and David Lee Roth are two entirely different things...

vanshipman
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm guessing the Van HALEN/Roth songwriting credits are referring to Van Halen's by individual names as opposed to as a group. The listing of who played what is assumed I'm guessing. (derrr lol) Would have been cool to know in writing that it's Dave playing the acoustic on Stay Frosty. As far as the liner of ADKOT, would have liked some pics of the band, but I'm not complaining, because I'm still playing this record day in and day out. And on a different note entirely, I LOVE my Roth Army shirt I just got a few days back, brilliant job folks!!! I highly recommend getting one.

conmee
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
What's really controversial is some guy named "Hagar" managed to sneak in the liner credits...

That is all.

Icon™©®

guwapo_rocker
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Yikes!!

ThatArtGuy
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
If you put flour, water, and salt together it makes glue. If you add eggs, milk, and baking powder you get cake. Where did the glue go?

atomicpnk47
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
:doh:

Terry
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd have to imagine whatever the royalty splits are re: the new album and tour, Roth is getting his fair share.

The Van Halens may own the name, but without Dave the name doesn't mean much.

Far as the broader question of if Van Halen are a 'band' or not, from some of the comments Roth has given, I gather he and the Van Halens aren't really making long-range plans beyond the current album and tour...nor are they ruling anything out.

ThatArtGuy
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
About as much sense as this thread. :lol:

FALCO
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
ok, not to start shit, but what the hell, what's a van halen discussion without at least a little controvesy (real or imagined)?...

anybody else notice that in the liner notes, the songs are credited to "van halen/roth?"

i'm going to guess that this is just a legal thing, whereby the legal entity, van halen, is ed, al and wolf.

and it would seem to be a meaningless thing, since in the same liner notes, ed thanks "my bandmates, al, wolf and dave."

still, perhaps some lessens learned from past business dealings?

Most likely the songs were written by Ed and Dave ... hence Van Halen/Roth ... like on KISS songs you see 'Stanley/Simmons'...

Usually songs will have the individual names of those involved... don't think there is anything more than that...

\m/ \m/

DLR'sCock
02-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Credit for songwriting can be depicted in many ways on albums and in this case it clearly depicts who wrote the songs and that is all. Publishing usually follows suit.

DavidLeeNatra
02-28-2012, 12:51 AM
easy...the sisters and kiddo's name is "van Halen" and Dave's name is "Roth" so it's van Halen/roth...if Dave's name was rosenblumenthalowitch it would be van halen/rosenblumenthalowitch...if ed once adopts him to be his new brother or marries him legally in the netherlands they can write music by van HALEN...

case closed?

DlocRoth
02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
I'd have to imagine whatever the royalty splits are re: the new album and tour, Roth is getting his fair share.

Far as the broader question of if Van Halen are a 'band' or not, from some of the comments Roth has given, I gather he and the Van Halens aren't really making long-range plans beyond the current album and tour...nor are they ruling anything out.

Soooooo............

Jetstream
02-28-2012, 02:07 AM
guess it is like relationships...people get along great as just partners but as soon as they get married, they seem to divorce lol

Yount
02-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Most likely the songs were written by Ed and Dave ... hence Van Halen/Roth

I see it as slightly different. Ed comes up with a riff, jams it over with Alex (and now Wolf,) then Roth picks and chooses what he likes from the list of jamolas.

Bad Muthafucker
02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
What's really controversial is some guy named "Hagar" managed to sneak in the liner credits...

:lmao:

Von Halen
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Simple......when Dave left VH he left the name VH behind for anything in the future not the past. When they got back together they kept their management and it looks like publishing rights.

Dave is DDE.

Ed, Al and Wolf are 3 Twins, LLC.

Still a band but with separate management and looks like publishing.

Exactly. All is not visible to the naked eye.

As has always been the case with this band, there is more than meets the eye.

They released a new album. They are kicking our asses live and in concert. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, and hope for more in the future.

sadaist
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM

I'll take that over "Van Halen" when we know it's not Dave singing.

Dave said in the 1 interview with Al & Ed about the time to record "politics admittedly" to make the album. No matter the love now, these guys are very carefully covering their asses to avoid any screwings of each other in the future. Fine by me. As long as they keep making music & playing, I couldn't care less about the backroom dealings.

sadaist
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Should be the name of their next album. Or perhaps the live dvd they release.

King VH
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll take that over "Van Halen" when we know it's not Dave singing.

Dave said in the 1 interview with Al & Ed about the time to record "politics admittedly" to make the album. No matter the love now, these guys are very carefully covering their asses to avoid any screwings of each other in the future. Fine by me. As long as they keep making music & playing, I couldn't care less about the backroom dealings.

Agreed. I'm still on an emotional high over the new album. Let's live in the present!

Seshmeister
02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
While we're playing 'try and find a problem in the liner notes' game, why does Alex not include Dave in his list of thanks? :headlights:

Zing!
02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
After the lawsuits Dave had to resort to when the Van Halen's tried to screw him out of royalties in the 90's, I would think the publishing rights were probably the first thing they had to agree upon before a single note on ADKOT was played.

DavidLeeNatra
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
"and then the lawyers got involved"

who remembers that line...?

golitely
02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Just looked at Some Girls. Songs credited to Jagger/Richards. Holy shit, and all this time I thought Mick was in the band.

Von Halen
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Just looked at Some Girls. Songs credited to Jagger/Richards. Holy shit, and all this time I thought Mick was in the band.

Great comparison. :rolleyes:

twonabomber
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
you people make such a big fucking deal over all this van halen bullshit. I will be glad when all this tour bullshit is over with so we can get on with our lives. An stop living theirs lmfao

no one is keeping you here, you're free to get the fuck out whenever you want.

DavidLeeNatra
02-28-2012, 10:13 AM
same with "hey jude" lennon/mc cartney...paul was never a beatle!

SNIPER
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
same with "hey jude" lennon/mc cartney...paul was never a beatle!

It was Faul, Paul had his head fall off. :biggrin:

kwame k
02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
you people make such a big fucking deal over all this van halen bullshit. I will be glad when all this tour bullshit is over with so we can get on with our lives. An stop living theirs lmfao

We made it all the was up to Feb 2012 [your join date for yet another alias from you] without hearing your dumb ass shit and we survived just fine.

Why don't you follow VH's suit and log off for 28 years......then come back;)

Bad Muthafucker
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Banned.

jhale667
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Hey, here's an idea...

GO FUCK YOURSELF. :yo:

kwame k
02-28-2012, 10:50 AM
:biggrin:

ZahZoo
02-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned.

Thank you for your interest in the Roth Army entry level Rent-a-Mod employment opportunities.

After a thoughtful review of your qualifications... we regret to inform you that you were not chosen for the position. We encourage you to continue your extensive career at the Taco Bell drive-up window. Have a nice day... would you like hot sauce with your order..?

DavidLeeNatra
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you for your interest in the Roth Army entry level Rent-a-Mod employment opportunities.

After a thoughtful review of your qualifications... we regret to inform you that you were not chosen for the position. We encourage you to continue your extensive career at the Taco Bell drive-up window. Have a nice day... would you like hot sauce with your order..?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Carmine
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Get a load of this fuckin touchhole!!

Always fun when a sheep decides to shed its wool...

Matt White
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Seriously..........

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G3ARWZJ0-HM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G3ARWZJ0-HM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

chi-town324
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a life.. It's called following the greatest rock band ever

Terry
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
While we're playing 'try and find a problem in the liner notes' game, why does Alex not include Dave in his list of thanks? :headlights:

Because the liner notes are about Alex, not Dave's fucking thanks.

sadaist
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM

You think when the tour ends that the VH bullshit ends & we go on with our lives? HAHAHAHAHA!

That's just when things get good around here.

You're new so I'll cut you some slack. But these forums have been going strong through a lot more VH quiet time than VH tour time.

Bad Muthafucker
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Banned. :tongue0011:

And no, I wouldn't like hot sauce with my order, since you ask. I'll have your mom instead!

VHscraps
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I think the "Van Halen / Roth" credit is ambiguous - the question is, is it 50/50 Eddie / Dave or Van Halen x3 / Roth?

Song publishing is based on how music appears in written notation - so that's the main musical part, the vocal melody and the lyrics. By that definition VH songs could always have been credited to E. Van Halen / D. Roth - bass players and drummers typically always get screwed, unless like Steve Harris of Maiden they are the main songwriter, no matter how much they contribute to developing the actual thing that appears on record.

Published notation, or what is copyrighted, is often far from what happens on a record.

Ask Richard Ashcroft of The Verve how he feels about giving 100% publishing to Jagger / Richards for 'Bittersweet Symphony' a song that in my mind bears zero resemblance to The Stones' song The Last Time - although publishing law / a judge says differently.

DavidLeeNatra
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
hope they did the good old pirate thing again...put the money on the table took a sword and cut it into four pieces...

TJMKID
02-28-2012, 01:26 PM
On a more serious note --- does Wolfie get 25% of all publishing royalties and tour income net profits --- or is Eddie pulling the "I'm your Daddy and I will decide how much you get" bullshit ??

VHscraps
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I love the idea - divvying up the booty as if it was ill-gotten gains.

I hope they split it four ways, as well. It makes everyone pull in the same direction.

fourthcoming
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Your a tool Sammy Hagar, now stop leaving rediculous posts in this sacred place.

golitely
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
While it would be nice, all-for-one, one-for-all, I'd hope DLR got more than just 25% given how is was kinda screwed over the royalties earlier compared to the rest of the band. For the tour, split it 4 ways cuz they are all out there working every night, but unless Al and Wolfie were seriously involved in writing...

Jetstream
02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
no no no...this thread should read "VH not officially part of the David Lee Roth Band?" :)

DLR Bridge
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeesh. How's about a lil' peace in the middle east for 1 fuckin' day, huh? Your killing my high!

P.S. I'll try to submit my review by 2 AM EST.

bantonelli
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM

My dear honeybaby...... How is the tour responsible for holding YOU up from getting on with YOUR life? Pity...

THEDOCTOR
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Folks , obviously we shouldn't want assinine comments banned.This is America and even douchey people are allowed to speak their minds. Those who wish to spend their pitiful existence trolling websites stirring shit and making delusional posts should have our compasion. You see bretheren,they will never know the joy that Dave and VH truly can bring you! They will never know the feeling of driving their car and rolling down the windows while turning the song to ear ringing levels to make everyone around you either smile or put on the frowny face with some cranking VH! They will never know what its like to get your groove on with Fair Warning as your Kama Sutra soundtrack( total rythym songs try it!) they will never know the awe and goosebumps we get when we crank Eruption,and hear YRGM start,or Alex pounding out the beginning of HFT,or Dave's earsplitting screams on Outta Love Again.....or the newfound joy of each succulent morsel we savor in our pallettes from ADKOT......no fine brothers and sister's they will never know the enlightment ,the life changing memories The Mighty Van Halen caused in each and every one of us as we"saw the light" and realized....fuck. It was gooood. So , keep the faith , and instead of chastisizing them,which does nothing but take time away from experiencing the glory of VH,or banning them....nay I say.Feel pity for them for they are blind and cannot see. Plus its fun to laugh at their silly posts.Now ignore their foolishness,go put on Fair Warning and slap your balls against someone to the rythyms and beats. Can I get an amen?

Nitro Express
02-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Actually this website is international but stupid people should still have the right to share their stupid thoughts. It gives the rest of us something to laugh at.

sadaist
02-29-2012, 05:07 AM
no no no...this thread should read "VH not officially part of the David Lee Roth Band?" :)

I'm high-fiving you in spirit right now.

Carmine
02-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Folks , obviously we shouldn't want assinine comments banned.This is America and even douchey people are allowed to speak their minds. Those who wish to spend their pitiful existence trolling websites stirring shit and making delusional posts should have our compasion. You see bretheren,they will never know the joy that Dave and VH truly can bring you! They will never know the feeling of driving their car and rolling down the windows while turning the song to ear ringing levels to make everyone around you either smile or put on the frowny face with some cranking VH! They will never know what its like to get your groove on with Fair Warning as your Kama Sutra soundtrack( total rythym songs try it!) they will never know the awe and goosebumps we get when we crank Eruption,and hear YRGM start,or Alex pounding out the beginning of HFT,or Dave's earsplitting screams on Outta Love Again.....or the newfound joy of each succulent morsel we savor in our pallettes from ADKOT......no fine brothers and sister's they will never know the enlightment ,the life changing memories The Mighty Van Halen caused in each and every one of us as we"saw the light" and realized....fuck. It was gooood. So , keep the faith , and instead of chastisizing them,which does nothing but take time away from experiencing the glory of VH,or banning them....nay I say.Feel pity for them for they are blind and cannot see. Plus its fun to laugh at their silly posts.Now ignore their foolishness,go put on Fair Warning and slap your balls against someone to the rythyms and beats. Can I get an amen?

:amen:

DLR'sCock
02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Exactly. All is not visible to the naked eye.

As has always been the case with this band, there is more than meets the eye.

They released a new album. They are kicking our asses live and in concert. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, and hope for more in the future.

Look, bands, band members, songwriters, and the band members who wrote on whatever songs in the band choose to put together their publishing in many different ways, and this happens to be the way it is done here. Nothing more to speculate on.

It's smart to own your own publishing for what you contribute. Alice in Chains is a perfect example or even Soundgarden is another.

ZahZoo
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned. :tongue0011:

And no, I wouldn't like hot sauce with my order, since you ask. I'll have your mom instead!

That's sick... you got a thing for 80 something year old women..?

Von Halen
02-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Gary just said Dave's publicist literally got fired while he was on the phone with her trying to book Dave on the Stern show!

He also emailed directly with Ed's wife about them coming in, and they declined.

Do I think this tour will blow up? No. Do I think you better go as soon as you can? Absolutely!

I hope the amount of money being made is the glue that holds this thing together!

ELVIS
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Hmmm...

Sensible Shoes
02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Gary just said Dave's publicist literally got fired while he was on the phone with her trying to book Dave on the Stern show!

He also emailed directly with Ed's wife about them coming in, and they declined.

Do I think this tour will blow up? No. Do I think you better go as soon as you can? Absolutely!

I hope the amount of money being made is the glue that holds this thing together!

I hope that's not the girl who's been so good to us here at the Army.

Von Halen
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I hope that's not the girl who's been so good to us here at the Army.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Va Beach can answer that question.

kwame k
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Never would of thought Dave would be like this....onstage and off!

Wonder WTF is going on with him?

SNIPER
02-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Wonder WTF is going on with him?

If he starts raising his voice at Edward he better be wearing a cup. :hee:

Sensible Shoes
02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Since this came from the Stern show, I am not going to put a lot of faith in its accuracy.
Yet.

kwame k
02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
If he starts raising his voice at Edward he better be wearing a cup. :hee:

It seems like someone in the band has to be going off the rails at all times.

Ed's happy....so Dave's pissed?

Geez!

rocking ron
02-29-2012, 03:46 PM

It's indeed a lot of bull shit, I mean Van Halen/Roth or Van Halen/Van Halen/Van Halen/Roth!!! BUT : YOU will be glad when this tour bullshit is over......HEY wake up dude, the tour of the year 2012

has just begun and I hope they will go on and on till they finally will show up in Europe and I ( and a hundred of thousands ) other true Van Halen fans can see our hero's live,:

in front of our naked steamin' eyes and ears motherfucker, by the way!!?? : IS YOUR LAST NAME : HAGAR??? C'mon go fuck yourself .........sorry guys I'm waitin'that many years to

read this kind of garbage, pffffffffffffffff mas tequilla???

hambon4lif
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Wonder WTF is going on with him?He probably just needs someone to give him a hummer and he'll calm down.

Somebody send ELVIS a plane ticket to New York. Pronto!!:thumb:

kwame k
02-29-2012, 03:48 PM
:lmao:

Bad Muthafucker
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Nothing wrong with an older chick. So ya have to throw the teeth off to the side, so what? Kick the crutches out from under 'em, they fall on the bed, you flip 'em over on their belly. "Stick that fuckin old crumpled up ass up into the air. I'll eat the cob webs right out of your cunt, baby!" I love pussy! And tits are tits. The softer they are, the better they feel, that's the way I look at it!

Besides, getting an older chick is like getting a used car. With a younger chick, it's like getting a new car. You gotta treat it just right, check the oil every day, no smoking in the car, can't eat or drink in the car, don't want to spill anything, no blasting the music, no driving too fast, no talking, this, that, and every other thing.

But with an older chick, it's like getting a used car. It's all beat up, it's dented. You gotta check to see if it's still got a nice rear end. It's got a hundred thousand miles of prick on it already! You can spill shit in it, drop your ashes on the seat, speed all around with ADKOT blaring on the stereo! I could go on and on.

Zing!
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
It seems like someone in the band has to be going off the rails at all times.

Ed's happy....so Dave's pissed?

EXACTLY. Although I do think this is a contemporary way of creating rock & roll foment. Back in the day bands would throw TVs out the window and crash a Mercedes into a pool before knocking up a French model after doing a mountain of coke. At 57 that can seem kind of pathetic (unless you're Keith Richards). Best way to generate some harmless foment right now is to show a little attitude when things don't run flawlessly. If the girl was really fired, she'll probably be hired back tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the malfunctioning headset and the pissed off chucking of it in favor of a proper mic isn't all part of the act.

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
At 57 that can seem kind of pathetic (unless you're Keith Richards).

Keef can break all the rules.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Va Beach can answer that question.

Have already confirmed, all of that is absolutely bullshit.....

kwame k
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank God!

ThatArtGuy
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Have already confirmed, all of that is absolutely bullshit.....

Awesome to have an official source.

DavidLeeNatra
03-01-2012, 01:51 AM
wait...sammy said that dave is an ass offstage and fires people all the time...isn't that enough confirmation?

Yount
03-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Fuck the money! Surely they are rich enough already. It has to be about artistic integrity, just has to be, judging on ADKOT. Money is surely just the icing.

Seshmeister
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
The money from this tour could be the money they have to live on for the next 30 years or in Wolfie's case 60 years.

The money is important.

ZahZoo
03-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Let's hope the money glue is strong... Also hopeful the contract with Interscope/UMG is multi-record and tours. If anything... they have to add a 3rd leg or go off-shore just to pay the record company off and pocket some decent income.

Those that think VH & Dave have more than enough money and don't need anymore are a bit naive... Even if their million dollar mansions are paid off... California property taxes. cost of living and maintaining those homes isn't cheap. Add to that years of down time and their life styles can burn through a few million quick.

Couple that with the hits even wise investments have taken the last 3 years and it's doubtful any of them are living on Easy Street, set for life.

It wasn't that long ago that Dave was out playing county fairs and casinos for probably 10% of what he makes today... and at the same time Ed was drinking himself to death and courting porn stars with no viable work going on... 2007/2008 probably got em back on their feet. This tour and record "might" get them through the next few years.

sadaist
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Best part about 80 year old women?

there's 80 of them.