X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Guitar World archive: Yngwie Malmsteen Critiques the Playing of His Peers

Narcissist Yngwie critiques other guitarists. This is awesomely entertaining and brutally honest, and more interesting than his own music... some here will be offended, some will cheer, some with roll on the floor laughing. I agree with a lot of his synopses. I would love to play guitar for Yngwie to hear him rip me a new one.

The following feature is from the August 1994 issue of Guitar World magazine.... We asked Yngwie Malmsteen if he would participate in the Guitar World blindfold test -- to listen to a selection of unidentified tracks by unnamed guitarists, and to comment on the playing.

http://www.guitarworld.com/archive-y...-test?page=0,0
    Last edited by Mushroom; 02-29-2012, 04:01 AM.
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

saw that today man.

unleash the fury, indeed.
    what a fuckwit.

seriously, is anyone here a fan of this huge full of himself bloated fat wanker???

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia

seriously, is anyone here a fan of this huge full of himself bloated fat wanker???

All he is is speed. Tiresome after about 1:30 minutes. No groove, no rhythm, no feel. I could record myself practicing my runs and then play it back at 8x speed and call it Yngwie.

Seriously, I think he plays so fast because his songs are shitty & he wants to get them over with as fast as possible.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

His early work is good time metal.

Can't help thinking that he'd have been much better used in the confines of a band than as a solo artist.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He is too much of a dick to be in a band.

You can't have songs where it is verse chorus verse chorus and then a 2 and a half minute guitar solo. It's ludicrous, the whole work then becomes completely unbalanced.

If you want to listen to Bach on an electrical guitar then knock yourself out but when it's crammed incongruously into the middle of a rock or even heavy metal track it's just very silly.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

i know eddie kramer!!! *shakes finger*

@eddiekramer the fat kid's cool, but he's only got 3 licks, and 2 of them are boring...

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

This reminds me of the old Hit Parader magazines where they would have someone sit and give brief reviews of 5 or 6 songs... funny but the one that sticks out most in my mind is the Blackmore one. I wonder if there is an online archive of them.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

After hearing that parody of Yngwie, the unleash the fury one, I actually found this
                extremely funny reading. He is a narcissist, self centered, arrogant prick and doesnt give
                a shit if you think that. I dont know why (maybe Im mental) but he cracks me up with
                his brutal comments...

As for the man himself, Marching out and Rising Forces are his finest pieces of work
                and a must have. He is something else, he knows it, and fuckit, its funny
                what he says....

I have a "Best of" album of his that sucks balls.... (No songs on there from
                the first 2 albums) just sounds like classical wankfest for the sake of
                classical wankfest. I think I've played it twice.

Would have been cool to have an Eddie solo in there, he would have
                picked Ed in a millisecond, would have been interesting to hear his take..

This dude is officially (and probably unintentionally funny)
                Last edited by Panamark; 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM.
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Yngwie is funny and he's a nice guy too...

I met him and he was a regular guy with big hair, leather pants and sunglasses at night...

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Another point with Yngwie, he aint that great at riffery, he can play 12 finger harmonic minor runs with absolute precision,
                    but some metronome perfect riffage, he doesnt have that, but is happy to crtique others .. lol....
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I met him and he was a regular guy with big hair, leather pants and sunglasses at night...

So what was in the baggie you sold him
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

This is how Butch Walker described his meeting him in his book. He also said the Y moves very quickly, as if he is always on the run from paparazzi or crazed fans that are nowhere to be seen.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                          So what was in the baggie you sold him
                          Donuts...

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Donuts...
                            I can picture that ! He loooks like a donut lover
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Dime offers Yngwie a Donut...

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=5374503581463563965&hl=en&f s=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

Comment

Working...