PDA

View Full Version : Guitar World April 2012 - 50 Greatest Van Halen songs of all time - on sale now.

sambo
02-29-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/featured-node/april12.jpg

http://www.guitarworld.com/

Not at my local newsagent yet..so can't comment on contents.

Any chance all 50 are Dave-era songs? ;)

ELVIS
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
That would be every song except Jump...:biggrin:

sambo
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
That would be every song except Jump...:biggrin:

:clap:

VAiN
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
This is silly - I can't wait to see another list.

sambo
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah well, it seems as if VH are the flavour of the month again anyways.. and that's a good thing.

Zing!
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I'll buy it. The centerfold will look good in the Garage Majal with a nice frame around it.

And that was my first thought as well: "They better be all classic Van Halen songs..."

Matt White
03-01-2012, 07:56 AM
I've given GUITAR WORLD plenty of shit aboot their constant "polls" on their FB page....gotten a few heated responses from who ever runs it for 'em.............

I also busted their chops for "Hot for Teacher" tabed once again.............

Why not "Big River"? Or "China Town"?

They used to be the Un-official "EVH" magazine and have always talked shit aboot DAVE..............BASTARDS!!!

sambo
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Agreed...

It's not as if every guitar fan out there has a lot many copies of GW lying around with soooo many polls, (Hendrix, Zep, Halen, ACDC - the same winners) with HFT tabbed at least a dozen times in the last 28 years.. time for something new perhaps?

EdVanZep
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I'll buy it. The centerfold will look good in the Garage Majal with a nice frame around it.

And that was my first thought as well: "They better be all classic Van Halen songs..."

It's got some Spammy tunes included

Eyes of the Night
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/featured-node/april12.jpg

I'm diggin' the "50 Heavenly chords you need to know" ... I've been writting a lot lately and this will come in usefull ...

:rockin:

:smoke2:

Terry
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I've given GUITAR WORLD plenty of shit aboot their constant "polls" on their FB page....gotten a few heated responses from who ever runs it for 'em.............

They used to be the Un-official "EVH" magazine and have always talked shit aboot DAVE..............BASTARDS!!!

It would have been apropos to throw in a tab off the new album, agreed.

Also, how many times is GW gonna rehash the same old Randy Rhoads stories? As if Ozzy even remembers the day he met Randy.

Unchainme
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not a guitar dude, but I bought the magazine due to being a big VH fan..

do you guys want me to copy down the list?

Zing!
03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm not a guitar dude, but I bought the magazine due to being a big VH fan..

do you guys want me to copy down the list?

Yep. If there's anything other than CVH on the list, we need to know.

ELVIS
03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm sure there is...

Unchainme
03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
WARNING SPOILERS:

1. Hot for Teacher
2. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
3. Unchained
4. Beautiful Girls
5. Runnin' With The Devil
6. Mean Street
7. Panama
8. Eruption
9. You Really Got Me
10. ...And the Cradle Will Rock
11. Light up the Sky
12. Everybody Wants Some!!
13. Ice Cream Man
14. Take Your Whiskey Home
15. D.O.A.
16. Atomic Punk
17. Push Comes To Shove
18. Little Guitars
19. Jamie's Cryin'
20. Dirty Movies
21. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
22. Spanish Fly
23. Jump
24. Little Dreamer
25. Women in Love..
26. Romeo Delight
27. So This Is Love?
28. Top Jimmy
29. Right Now
30. Where Have All the Good Times Gone?
31. I'm the One
32. When It's Love
33. I'll Wait
34. Girl Gone Bad
35. Cathedral
36. Sinner's Swing!
37. Feel Your Love Tonight!
38. 5150
39. Hang 'Em High
40. (Oh) Pretty Woman
41. Tattoo
42. Finish What Ya Started
43. Why Can't This Be Love?
44. One Foot Out the Door
45. She's the Woman
46. Dancing in the Streets
47. Poundcake
48. Top of the World
49. Best of Both Worlds
50. Dance the Night Away

8 out of 50. Still 8 too many in my book ;).

sadaist
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
WARNING SPOILERS:

50. Dance the Night Away

For fucks sake! seriously?

I'm out. See ya in another thread folks.

NIN1211
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
WARNING SPOILERS:

1. Hot for Teacher
2. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
3. Unchained
4. Beautiful Girls
5. Runnin' With The Devil
6. Mean Street
7. Panama
8. Eruption
9. You Really Got Me
10. ...And the Cradle Will Rock
11. Light up the Sky
12. Everybody Wants Some!!
13. Ice Cream Man
14. Take Your Whiskey Home
15. D.O.A.
16. Atomic Punk
17. Push Comes To Shove
18. Little Guitars
19. Jamie's Cryin'
20. Dirty Movies
21. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
22. Spanish Fly
23. Jump
24. Little Dreamer
25. Women in Love..
26. Romeo Delight
27. So This Is Love?
28. Top Jimmy
29. Right Now
30. Where Have All the Good Times Gone?
31. I'm the One
32. When It's Love
33. I'll Wait
34. Girl Gone Bad
35. Cathedral
36. Sinner's Swing!
37. Feel Your Love Tonight!
38. 5150
39. Hang 'Em High
40. (Oh) Pretty Woman
41. Tattoo
42. Finish What Ya Started
43. Why Can't This Be Love?
44. One Foot Out the Door
45. She's the Woman
46. Dancing in the Streets
47. Poundcake
48. Top of the World
49. Best of Both Worlds
50. Dance the Night Away

8 out of 50. Still 8 too many in my book ;).
Judgement Day was a good tune...guitar wise.....Still some of the Spam era choices are weak.."Why Can't This Be Love"..really?

Unchainme
03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
8 I'd replace with the Van Hagar shiite?

Respect the Wind
Can't Get This Stuff No More
Me Wise Magic
Hear About It Later
The Full Bug
On Fire
You're No Good
Humans Being

I'll give Van Hagar one, just simply because that song was Ed finally getting fed up with Hagar and trying to become more of a Hard Rock group again. Save for the chorus, it's actually a decent song.

Plus that song was the one that finally got Hagar kicked out of the band! :).

SNIPER
03-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Judgement Day was a good tune...guitar wise.....Still some of the Spam era choices are weak.."Why Can't This Be Love"..really?

This was the last time Ed used the 5150 Kramer. He used it to record this song.

conmee
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

Where the hell are Without You, Year To The Day, Fire In The Hole, Josephina, How Many Say I, and Sucker In A Three Piece?!?!?!

This magazine is going downhill.

Icon™©®

Zing!
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Just as much of a joke as I suspected. While I appreciate the first 28 being CVH, the choices of Van Haggar are nauseating. Out of all of them, I MIGHT have considered 5150, as that riff is decent and obviously a track written before Dave hit the road. But Right Now? When It's Love? When The Full Bug and Hear About It Later don't even make the list? I can excuse cover tunes like You're No Good - but When It's Love over The Full fucking Bug?

hambon4lif
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Given my low opinion of lists in general, I thumbed through it to see if they had any cool pics. There is one from '78 of Roth going airborne off the riser that I thought was kinda cool.

Anyone can make a fucking list. That's why they're so bad for you.

Unchainme
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Given my low opinion of lists in general, I thumbed through it to see if they had any cool pics. There is one from '78 of Roth going airborne off the riser that I thought was kinda cool.

Anyone can make a fucking list. That's why they're so bad for you.

pretty much the only reason I bought it.

I only buy mags when they feature teams or bands I like.

otherwise, why bother?

sadaist
03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

Where the hell are Without You, Year To The Day, Fire In The Hole, Josephina, How Many Say I, and Sucker In A Three Piece?!?!?!

This magazine is going downhill.

Icon™©®

OK I lied...I'm back in this thread.

I like this unreleased VHIII song better than a lot of Hagar era songs. Christ, if this list is gonna be bullshit we might as well go full speed ahead with it.

sadaist
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I MIGHT have considered 5150, as that riff is decent and obviously a track written before Dave hit the road.

I might get flamed for this, but I think it kinda reminds of the Little Guitars riff. No? The drums in that song to me are epic though anyways. Should have been an instrumental.

Matt White
03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry Sadaist...I hate that shit....that being said

That list is MEANT to piss people like us off...& still try and stroke Spammy & Mikey some....

EVH ain't talkin' these days....

and hasn' much for a Looooooooooooooooooooong time....

GUITAR WORLD is run by KANTS.......

they "hint" they're trying to get ED to talk....and maybe by then they'll have some new tab..............

FUCK...tab RUSSIAN CIRCLES or FLEET FOXES you fucks!!!

Seshmeister
03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Weird list, good that Van Hagar didn't make the top 28 but some odd stuff in an odd order.

Tattoo?

I'm always extra cynical of guitar magazine stuff to do with Van Halen as they tend to really suck Eddies cock because he sells copies for them.

I really doubt they would have published a list like this in 2004 when Hagar was in the band...

sadaist
03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Sorry Sadaist...I hate that shit....that being said

Fuck, don't be sorry for having some good taste. I took my VHIII back to Tower Records & got my money back. Awful. I saw them that tour at the god dammed county fair (yes, the county fair) and let early. Horrible time. I guess I can put up with that VHIII song is because it was unreleased. The way they ALL should have been. LOL

Seshmeister
03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Also, how many times is GW gonna rehash the same old Randy Rhoads stories? As if Ozzy even remembers the day he met Randy.

I saw a documentary recently where a sober Ozzy couldn't remember what YEAR his first son was born in...

Seshmeister
03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I MIGHT have considered 5150, as that riff is decent and obviously a track written before Dave hit the road.

I would have to go look it up on YouTube, I can't remember how it goes which says a lot about it...

DLR Bridge
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Flipped through this on the news stand. Lots of pictures I've never seen before.

SNIPER
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
The song 5150 has great music to it however the finger nails on the chalk board vocals make it unlistenable to me. :pullinghair: Way to ruin a song Spammy!

NIN1211
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
The song 5150 has great music to it however the finger nails on the chalk board vocals make it unlistenable to me. :pullinghair: Way to ruin a song Spammy!

Agreed....The first song on 5150 is good also..except for the vocals and "The Hello Gravy" shit in the beginning.

SNIPER
03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Nin, Have read my latest work? I think I put Chicken Molester in his place. :biggrin:

NIN1211
03-04-2012, 09:15 PM

There are about 4-5 Spam era songs that I give the WWDD (What Would Dave Do) treatment to.

NIN1211
03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Nin, Have read my latest work? I think I put Chicken Molester in his place. :biggrin:

Yessir...I gave him a day to reflect on Ronnie..sort of..still gave him a little jab! Let him mourn for a day, or feel like a complete ass for bad-mouthing the guy On That Metal Show not so long ago.

Unchainme
03-04-2012, 11:25 PM
For fucks sake! seriously?

I'm out. See ya in another thread folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObRyDXAqzQ

what a great fucking song btw.

In cleveland on the last tour, people went crazy for that one.

Zing!
03-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I would have to go look it up on YouTube, I can't remember how it goes which says a lot about it...

Let me help you , Sesh:

The love line is never straight and narrow
Unless your love is tried and true
We take a chance with new beginnings
Still we try (Oooh) Win or lose (Oooh)
Take the highs (Oooh) With the blues (Oooh)

Always one more, you're never satisfied
Never one for all with you, it's only one for me
So, why draw the line? Meet you half the way
And you don't know what that means
Oh, yeah

I feel like a running politician
Oh! Just tryin' to please you all the time
I given you myself with no conditions
Goin' wide (Oooh) Runnin' long (Oooh)
Feelin' lost (Oooh) But not for long (Oooh)

Whoa, yeah

I'll meet you half the way! Whoa yeah!
I'll meet you half the way! Whoa!
I'll meet you half the way

[And no... I did not make that up. Those are the actual lyrics. To clean those shitty lyrical stains out of your brain, wash, rinse, and repeat with ADKOT]

Golden AWe
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I think "Learning to see" should make the position 50...it was the last song EVER made by Van Hagar!!!

Nigel
03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Wow, I'm still dizzy from that Gary Cherone unreleased song from VH 3.

Yeah, I bought it, took my 8 yr.old son to the concert in Toronto.
He was interviewed on MuchMusic, and God Bless him, said "Why can't they get David Lee Roth back"

Gary Cherone on most songs sounded like he was singing with 7 lbs. of cotton wool in his mouth (I'm being kind here.)

I can't make out a fucking word he's saying, and yes it should have been an instrumental, but c'mon it's an outtake at best.

As for "The List", fuck lists, it misses my fave 6 pack songs and includes Women In Love (which didn't make my list)

Cheers, Guys.

FORD
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
OK, I can see how a guitar magazine could rank "5150", or "Poundcake" as decent songs. Guitar wise, they were. Only Hagar's screeching and lyrical felonies ruined them.

But how the FUCK could they rank "Right Now", "When It's Cheese" or other synth-pop cheese ballads? It's not SYNTHESIZER WORLD magazine, for fucks sake.

And to rank DTNA below those pieces of shit? Unforgivable.

Zing!
03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow, I'm still dizzy from that Gary Cherone unreleased song from VH 3.

Gary Cherone on most songs sounded like he was singing with 7 lbs. of cotton wool in his mouth (I'm being kind here.)

I can't make out a fucking word he's saying, and yes it should have been an instrumental, but c'mon it's an outtake at best.

No doubt. Admittedly, I haven't heard 'III' all the way through - just bits and pieces here and there over the years - but Cherone's voice is obnoxiously awful. I thought I would give that unreleased track a try and see if it was any better than the album. Nope, still horrid - and the unreleased track sounds just as poorly mixed as the album. Ed's guitar is razor thin with sustain that sounds like fingernails on a chalk board - and Cherone's voice sounds like he gargled battery acid.

vandeleur
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Am the same never heard vh 111 or whatever it was called ... Heard one single on the radio ... With out you ?? Or something and his voice irritated the shite out of me ..

Carloscda
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
OK how can On Fire not be in that list??!!

Hardrock69
03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Check the editor's foreward. He said usually when there is some big new VH thing going on, GW has new interviews, etc.

Editor dude says this time out, Howdy-Doody Mountain was strangely silent when they were trying to get an interview. So they did the list in the absence of anything from the band.