X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_R
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Peyton Manning will be cut by Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday

Peyton Manning's career with the Indianapolis Colts will reportedly end Wednesday.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the team will announce the release of the four-time league MVP at a news conference. Cutting him will prevent a $28 million cap hit for the team and instantly make Manning the most coveted free agent since Reggie White.

Manning underwent multiple surgeries to fuse vertebrae in his neck over the past 19 months. He missed the entire 2011 season.

The move has been in the works ever since it became apparent that the Colts would be in a position to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. Still, as recently as seven months ago, Manning being released by the Colts would have been unthinkable.

He was the face of the Indianapolis Colts franchise, the man who resurrected a team that spent most of its 13 previous years in the city as an NFL also-ran. Indy landed the No. 1 pick of the 1997 draft and used it to take Archie Manning's son, a football player pegged for greatness ever since he stepped on a high school field.

Peyton ended up becoming the rare savior who lived up to expectations. He won Rookie of the Year in 1997, had the team in the playoffs in 1998 and only missed out on the postseason once more in the next 10 seasons. Manning won four league MVPs and led the Colts to their only Super Bowl win in Indianapolis in 2007.

Provided he's able to play, he'll attract unprecedented attention in the free-agent market.

Meanwhile, Luck will have two roles to play in Indianapolis. He'll have to be the franchise's next superstar while, at the same time, replacing the last one.

If he goes to the Dolphins the Jets will have to face Tom Brady and Peyton Manning 4 times per season
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!
  • Fairwrning
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I am shocked..not sure why..it makes sense..but damn...Thats putting a lot of pressure on Luck..

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I hope this backfires on the Colts. I know Peyton has cash, but still no way to treat a guy so integral to your team and for someone who could do no more for your organization.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Fairwrning
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Sorry Peyton..but thanks for the new stadium..

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Manning is gonna look strange in a Dolphins uniform!

Comment

• fourthcoming

Dolphins are going to go after him hard....and he does own a home in Miami......I'm sure that loser Snyder in Washington will try as hard as possible to grab him too. If I were Peyton I would give the 49ers a call and see if their interested.....then again, their receivers aren't the greatest.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
              Sorry Peyton..but thanks for the new stadium..
              Don't forget to thank Forest Lucas...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                If I were Peyton I would give the 49ers a call and see if their interested.....then again, their receivers aren't the greatest.
                True...but a great quarterback can make even marginal receivers look better than they are. Look how far San Fran got last season on the strength of an OK quarterback and the "not so great" receivers.

A healthy Manning could take them all the way.
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

A team better be willing to give up a lot more than money if they decide to roll with Peyton.
                  I know Miami and Washington seem to pop up as the most likely destinations, but does a new head coach really want to forgo his vision in building a team by giving up control to Manning? Miami might be better off going after Matt Flynn, although he's not gonna put the same amount of fans in the stadium.
                  I also don't think Shannahan would be willing to give up the kind of offensive control that Manning would most likely take.
                  I think the most logical landing spot may be Seattle... where there is a very wealthy owner, cap space and a head coach who has proven he will do anything to win, even if it means handing to offense over to Manning.

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                    I hope this backfires on the Colts. I know Peyton has cash, but still no way to treat a guy so integral to your team and for someone who could do no more for your organization.

ZERO loyalty any more. The last pro athlete I can think of that had that was Tony Gwynn of the San Diego Padres. The team never tried to fuck him and he never went out searching for more money (which he probably could have got). Stand up guy and San Diego hero to the bone. We need more guys like that. More hometown players. I mean fuck, the team represents the city....it should have players from the city.

I swear I thought Junior Seau was going to be just like tony Gwynn for San Diego. Should have been too. Just as Peyton should always & only have the horse shoe on his helmet.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

This raises some serious questions in my mind as to his health in general. Why would they cut him if they thought he had any chance of getting back into shape?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

It's never about loyalty anymore. It's always about what's best for the organization, atleast in their own eyes. I resented the way the Yankees ousted Bernie Williams. Loyalty is definitely not a Yankee trait.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Manning is only good to sell tickets and fill seats...

His career is over...

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            It's never about loyalty anymore. It's always about what's best for the organization, atleast in their own eyes.

Yes, but sometimes having a face of the franchise is the best for the organization.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by sadaist
                              Yes, but sometimes having a face of the franchise is the best for the organization.
                              Even if that person is susceptible to injury? Peyton is a liability unto himself and whomever picks him up.

Comment

Working...