X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

So, I've been having these headaches...

I've been having these bad headaches the last few weeks. They just come out of nowhere, last a few minutes, are in the back of my head, very intense and throbbing, and I'll lose part of the hearing in my left ear and sometimes see blurry spots in my right eye after one. I saw a doctor about this the other day and I'm scheduled to have an mri Wednesday. Anyone else here ever had headaches like this, and what was the cause of them?
    Last edited by chefcraig; 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: Fixed title...
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Would someone correct the spelling in the title? Thanks

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Have you had any accidents or back injuries lately? I ask this because the worst headaches I ever witnessed (beyond my own devastating hangovers) involved my first wife. We were in an accident while waiting for a traffic light one evening as my car was rear ended by some halfwit in a pick up truck. I heard the guy skidding, and attempted to at least get us moving before impact by flooring it. This was and wasn't successful, as my Mustang sprang forward yet sideways. The major impact was on the passenger side (where she was seated) rear. A few months after, my wife started getting blinding headaches much as you described. I'd have to hold her head in my lap, massaging her temples in order to provide relief. The quack family doctor she'd been seeing kept prescribing her Tylenol of varying strength, describing her symptoms as migraines.

Nearly a year later, in an unrelated occurrence, she had a back x ray that revealed the true cause: Her spinal column had been injured in the crash, resulting in some discs realigned and damaged. The nerve was pressing on her spine, thus creating the headaches. She soon had surgery and has been fine (well, OK, she was never really fine in the first place. Nor stable, yet I digress...) ever since.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Little Texan
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

No, I haven't had any kind of head trauma. The headaches just started happening out of the blue. I was taking an energy supplement called Charger Drive around the time the headaches started, but I ceased taking it after a couple of days and I'm still having headaches, so maybe it's just a coincidence. The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.

Comment

• rocking ron
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2010

"So, I've BEEN having these headaches.....

I've this shit once in a while and after those 'blurry spots" I have to throw up and after this it takes at least 12hrs when I'm without pain!!

This is a form of migraine and works for everyone otherwise ( stress, sunshine, listening to much to disco...etc )

My doctor top 3 :

VAN HALEN - Somebody get me a doctor
          UFO - Doctor Doctor
          KISS - Doctor Love

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
            The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.
            As I said, the trauma can be caused not by a blow to the head, but inadvertently through another location, sending the OUCH! message to your brain.

On another front, check your PM, friend.
            Last edited by chefcraig; 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

No, I haven't had any kind of head trauma. The headaches just started happening out of the blue. I was taking an energy supplement called Charger Drive around the time the headaches started, but I ceased taking it after a couple of days and I'm still having headaches, so maybe it's just a coincidence. The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.
              On of the worst headaches, blurred vision, shaking and heart palpitations I ever had was caused by too much caffeine intake.......I've also had severe headaches from caffeine withdrawals.
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
                On of the worst headaches, blurred vision, shaking and heart palpitations I ever had was caused by too much caffeine intake.......I've also had severe headaches from caffeine withdrawals.
                Crazy you mentioned that, I was thinking the same thing..... The worst headaches I've had were due to accidently drinking decaf coffee for like three or four days !!
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Hope you feel better!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Headaches can be caused be a lot of things. Since it's starting at the back of your head it's a good thing you went to the doc because it could be meningitis. I had a friend that had similar symptoms and it turned out to be meningitis. He had to have surgery and is fine now.

A lot of headaches are caused by sitting too much and stress. The human body isn't made to sit as much as we do. If I'm not doing my stretches and workouts I get headaches. I used to be a ski racer and blew through a bunch of gates and hit some hay bails at 60 mph. It didn't do me any good.

Try this. Get something heavy in each hand and bend over like you are doing toe touchers and stretch your back out that way. Do it for a good five to ten minutes. See how you feel after that.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                      Full Member Status

• May 2010

I was in so much pain once when I was a kid and many head injuries since it sounds like someone chewing glass every time I turn my head..I wish sometimes I could tell if I am in new pain, it all runs together. I recently have begun whineing more than ever, last couple years .I like that for a change.

A friend of mine used to get migrains and he would get the pain, like you said and the dots of blindness.?

I don't believe I have ever had a migrian the tintitis won't let me think of anything else..lol

I wouldn't know if I was ill or not.

Get that MRI and best wishes. Keep us posted.
                      2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                      clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Little Texan
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The doctor said it sounded like migraines but the attacks are too short and happen too often to be those. On the caffeine issue...I've had headaches from too much caffeine and caffeine withdrawal, and they were nothing like the ones I'm experiencing. These are WAY worse. Thanks to everyone for your kind posts and concern, and I will keep everyone posted.

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

okay...my $0.02. You might have slept bad and fucked a nerve. I've done that and didn't feel it except for massive headaches. it could also be a tooth going bad. It doesn't hurt at the tooth, but sudden sharp headaches like you are experiencing. If the Dr can't find anything, I suggest going to the dentist.

You are doing the right thing seeing the Dr. My other advice is Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and aspirin are all DIFFERENT and can be taken safely all together. Serious. If you really need to knock something out you can take all of them. And with Ibuprofen you can take up to 4 of the 200mg pills to = 800 mg (which is prescription strength). And as has been mentioned...caffeine!

Oooh...might also be eyeglasses. Just another thought. I only speak from my own experiences so take what I say as just friendly advice. I'm not a doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

I will keep everyone posted.

and yeah dude, let us know. Hope you feel better soon.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

How Is Your Eye-Sight?
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

Working...