PDA

View Full Version : The RIAA again, proves it's evil

Unchainme
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
In the latest effort to combat piracy, the RIAA and several ISPs (including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Cablevision) will begin monitoring web traffic this summer. Announced last week by RIAA chairman Cary Sherman, the system goes into effect sometime during the second quarter of 2012, as “each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system.”
Those systems involve major labels monitoring peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent for activities that fall under the category of copyright infringement. The labels will then report any user infringement activities to ISPs, who will then monitor those users’ networks. Once a user has been confirmed to be accessing pirated content, ISPs will then commence an "Initial Education step", where customers are formally notified that they're engaging in illegal activity. After one or two of these notices, they'll be issued another warning. Should none of those warnings prove effective, the ISP will then issue a Mitigation Measure Copyright Alert, which could potentially involve the throttling or restricting of the user’s connection (a total cut off is unlikely, however).

This RIAA / ISP pact is not something new, as they came to this so-called “Six Strikes” enforcement agreement back in June of 2011. This latest development is merely the implementation period coming into effect. However, these measures are by no means an all-encompassing crackdown on pirated content, as media downloaded using a VPN, from obscure torrent sites, or from media portals will likely be unaffected.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/03/riaa-and-isps-to-begin-policing-web-traffic-this-summer-.html

Unchainme
03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Look.

it's time these fuckers are allowed to fail. and fail miserably.

If this was not such a corrupt system, where the rich pay off people to pass laws to allow shit like this to happen, and allow to fail, they would have. They're irrelevant, and very naive towards this matter.

This is disgusting, and vile.

Unchainme
03-20-2012, 01:23 PM
In a perfect world.

The gov't would side with the individuals here, and tell the RIAA to fuck off.

Nitro Express
03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
We just need leave this disfunctional democracy and go back to the constitutional republic. I say do away with this election shit all together. It's rigged anyways. Heck, put out the word the government is hiring to fill some positions in the government, stick the applicants names in a random selection. Pick the names. Make them sign contracts that say if they violate the US Constitution they can be fired at anytime. Then we put someone else in. We don't need all these thousands of laws and regulations and they are basically making everything illegal now and filling up a huge prison system. It's gone beyond absurd.

Unchainme
03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
We just need leave this disfunctional democracy and go back to the constitutional republic. I say do away with this election shit all together. It's rigged anyways. Heck, put out the word the government is hiring to fill some positions in the government, stick the applicants names in a random selection. Pick the names. Make them sign contracts that say if they violate the US Constitution they can be fired at anytime. Then we put someone else in. We don't need all these thousands of laws and regulations and they are basically making everything illegal now and filling up a huge prison system. It's gone beyond absurd.

I think the simple way to do it is this.

-If you're an elected official, and are caught receiving money to endorse or pass a law from a corporation, This is grounds for removal of office. First, and final warning

Kristy
03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Oh no! Stop it you guys or we'll send you a letter!

How terrifying

What's really scary is that this has absolutely nothing to do with piracy. If anything the RIAA already knows the music industry is a dead man walking. What this really has do with diddley-squat is the regulation of the internet and how they can shut you down. Great all I need, more paranoia.

Guitar Shark
03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
I have no problem with this at all. It's stealing, and the industry and the artists have every right to protect their interests.

Kristy
03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I have no problem with this at all. It's stealing, and the industry and the artists have every right to protect their interests.

This isn't about the "artist" or being paid.

Jagermeister
03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I call bullshit on this. How the fuck are they going to know if you are downloading copyrighted material? It's crossing a line I think.

ODShowtime
03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I love bootlegs and have many thousands of them, but just stealing someone's work is not ok. Maybe it's because I have decent loot to buy stuff, but I want to support artists who entertain me.

Obviously they'll take it too far and fuck everything up, but this stealing the fuck out of every CD and DVD bullshit is killing the music industry and I for one count on that industry to get me my fix. I'm addicted to good rock and roll. There's not much left of it.

gbranton
03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I love bootlegs and have many thousands of them, but just stealing someone's work is not ok. Maybe it's because I have decent loot to buy stuff, but I want to support artists who entertain me.

I don't have much bootleg stuff, although I have a very few and would really like to get that 1977 Halloween VH show some day. I had it on cassette a long time ago but that is long gone. But they don't have any intention of realeasing that show, so what does that hurt? As far as copyrighted material goes, if I can't afford it for some reason I'll wait a week or two until I can, rather than stealing it. I want every artist to get paid for the music I buy (1) Because they earned it and (2) I want to encourage them to make more at later date for me to enjoy.

ODShowtime
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I want every artist to get paid for the music I buy (1) Because they earned it and (2) I want to encourage them to make more at later date for me to enjoy.

Exactly. Now if an artist is never gonna release it... or waits 20 years to release it... then tough if I can get my hands on it I'll listen to it.

gbranton
03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Exactly. Now if an artist is never gonna release it... or waits 20 years to release it... then tough if I can get my hands on it I'll listen to it.

Even if they waited to release it and I had been listening to a boot for 20 years, I'd probably buy it to get all the goodies that would come with it, art, packaging, liner notes and bonus material. Aerosmith's "Live Bootleg" is proof that these type recordings can sometimes blow your head clean off. That happens to be my favorite Aerosmith album of all time.

Hardrock69
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
The only stuff I collect is stuff recorded by individuals in the audience, OR stuff that is no longer in print (or being manufactured) or is otherwise not available (and never will be) to the public.

Sometimes I get stuff that turns out to be an official release later on down the line. Michael Schenker released a DVD last year or the year before of a concert he filmed in Tokyo. It was released in the fall, but I had the video within a couple of months of the concert (January of that year). I had no idea it was going to be released officially.

Same sort of thing happened with the Big 4 Satellite broadcast. I had HD video intercepted directly off the satellite feed, (which I am sure was an illegal recording), but I did not know it was going to be an official release until after the fact.

In many cases, bands give away their old records. You can download several albums by Love/Hate from their official website for free, for example.

But I do not waste my time trying to download official software, music, or movies. For one thing, music and movies take up too much of my time. I have to spend time (especially with DVDs) downloading them, which can take forever without a super-fast connection, then you have to burn the things....or...if it is just raw video, you have to fucking author the DVD and then burn it.....when hell, I can buy CDs and DVDs for only a few dollars at my local used media store. BAM! Within seconds I have the media in question in the time it takes to hand a few dollars to the store clerk.

I have had, in the past, some bootleg software, but as time goes on, you can find software for free that has all the functionality of software you have to pay for.

For instance, why in the fuck shell out ANYTHING for Microsoft Office? Sun Microsystems' Open Office is WAY better, can handle ANY format that MS Office uses, and is ABSOLUTELY FREE.

OR.....as I mention occasionally....I paid 40 bucks for a license for Reaper for my multi-track audio work. It is BETTER than ProTools. No bloatware. Almost never crashes. At least one update every MONTH for FREE, and a license entitles you to get all updates for the version you have, as well as the NEXT VERSION and ALL updates for it as well.

In short....I don't need to download copyrightable material, as it is all available for free or at low cost.

There ARE exceptions....any Iron Maiden live concert DVDs that come out I will buy new, and of course ADKOT was bought the day it came out.

Who would have thought the MPAA and RIAA would become the 21st-century version of Der Gestapo???

FORD
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
These days you have your major recording artists finally opening up their vaults and putting out official releases of stuff that all their serious fans had years ago, like the Rolling Stones and their classic live recording from 1973, "A Brussels Affair". It was an online release only, but I was happy to pay $9 for the FLAC version. (I'll never pay ANYTHING for an Mp3, because it's not the genuine article, just a poor imitation)

Funny thing is, Bob Clearmountain buried Mick Taylor in the mix (except for the solos) probably on orders from Keef, just like he ordered Jimmy Miller to do on all the studio albums of that era. So the bootleg STILL sounds better. I'm not so sure they should have bothered putting it out at all, if they had to alter it like that.

Original "bootleg" mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkX4Fi8GFe4

Clearmountain's remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3vb6YCQwQ

gbranton
03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
These days you have your major recording artists finally opening up their vaults and putting out official releases of stuff that all their serious fans had years ago, like the Rolling Stones and their classic live recording from 1973, "A Brussels Affair". It was an online release only, but I was happy to pay $9 for the FLAC version. (I'll never pay ANYTHING for an Mp3, because it's not the genuine article, just a poor imitation)

Funny thing is, Bob Clearmountain buried Mick Taylor in the mix (except for the solos) probably on orders from Keef, just like he ordered Jimmy Miller to do on all the studio albums of that era. So the bootleg STILL sounds better. I'm not so sure they should have bothered putting it out at all, if they had to alter it like that.

I saw that and the Hampton Coluseum show for sale and almost bought them but I already have so much live Stone shit between Flashpoint, Stripped, Shine A Light, No Security, Live Licks, Still Life, Get You Ya Yas Out and the audio I have ripped off of their dvds that I have postponed it for now.

gbranton
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
I was happy to pay $9 for the FLAC version.

I remember now, that was the other issue, no FLAC download in the US, only MP3.

sadaist
03-21-2012, 01:00 AM
We don't need all these thousands of laws and regulations ...

Check it. EVERY politician considers themself a lawmaker. they go into office & start passing all kinds of laws. All of them. YET THEY REPEAL NONE! EVER!!!'

I want to be a congressman and make it my policy to remove at least 5 stupid laws clean from the books every day in office. Start with the easy stupid ones like.....

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

It is forbidden to bring bears to the beach.

You are not allowed to carry a cocktail from the bar to a table.

etc.....a BILLION more like that and then you get ones that actually suck. Like the new one in Los Angeles making it illegal to throw a frisbee on the beach.

WHAT THE FUCK !?!?!?

We are fucking squeezed to death man. I will pass no new laws....only repeal them. Vote Sadaist 2013! lol

Seriously man. We could get rid of 99% of the laws & be just perfect.

sadaist
03-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Ford, sometimes I think you probably know more about the Rolling Stones than any of the actual band members

:lmao:

FORD
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Probably because I've done far less drugs than they have :biggrin:

knuckleboner
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
This isn't about the "artist" or being paid.

if the artist chose to sell to a record company, then technically, it's still about the artist and the artist's business opportunities.

sadaist
03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Probably because I've done far less drugs than they have :biggrin:

But you are younger than they. there's still time man. :)

ODShowtime
03-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Original "bootleg" mix

Clearmountain's remix

I'm pretty sure these two are from different performances. These Europe '73 FMs consist of a variety of dates.

FORD
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure these two are from different performances. These Europe '73 FMs consist of a variety of dates.

Well, on you tube, it was listed as being from the Belgium show. You might be right though, because listening to it again, I can hear some differences in Jagger's vocal.

You can still hear the fact that Taylor was buried in the mix on the new "official" version of the release though, compared to the bootleg versions. The entire 1973 tour was professionally recorded, has aired on the King Biscuit Flower Hour, and was supposed to be an official live album at the time, but apparently the usual legal hassles with the asshole Allen Klein prevented this from becoming a reality at the time. And a bootleg legend was born.....

ThrillsNSpills
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Kristy
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
if the artist chose to sell to a record company, then technically, it's still about the artist and the artist's business opportunities.

Originally, yes. Until the RIAA steps in and now wants to shut down your internet. That has nothing to do with the artist.

Nitro Express
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Not surprising in a country where the government is threatening to send a guy to prison for seven years for giving poor, needy people food off his organic farm while Monsanto can poison us with the government's blessing.

knuckleboner
03-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally, yes. Until the RIAA steps in and now wants to shut down your internet. That has nothing to do with the artist.

the RIAA acts in the interest of the legal holder of the copyright. if it's not the artist, it's because the artist sold/assigned it.