X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Nu Metal/MallCore needs to die.

I've been banging on this drum for the past 8 years, but I just thought I'd type a friendly little reminder.

How it's still relevant amazes me, and actual kind of angers me. There's so much better music out there, and there's probably a ton of great groups that don't get airplay.

Tired of it, the whining, the shitty guitarplaying, the looks of the bands that look more like bouncers at a club then you're average rock singers post-Cobain.

If there's anyway we could kill off this shit movement, I'd be all for it.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Along with "math rock" - whatever that is.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
      I've been banging on this drum for the past 8 years, but I just thought I'd type a friendly little reminder.

How it's still relevant amazes me, and actual kind of angers me. There's so much better music out there, and there's probably a ton of great groups that don't get airplay.

Tired of it, the whining, the shitty guitarplaying, the looks of the bands that look more like bouncers at a club then you're average rock singers post-Cobain.

If there's anyway we could kill off this shit movement, I'd be all for it.

I'm not following, grasshooper.....

Are you forced to listen to it at work?

Does your town only have 1 radio station?

Do your roommates play it constantly?

If so, then I get the beef....

Otherwise, wtf?

I hate many genres of music, hence I don't listen to, or purchase said genres....

But I dont begrudge people who do like the shit.

I personally have some pretty far-fetched tastes, from Rat Pack to Reggae to Cowpunk.

There's probably 3 billion people on this planet that hate all 3.

That's the beauty about music, it's not up to a vote. No one is voting Math-Prog Polka off the island,

Enjoy what you enjoy, and don't listen to what you hate.

/rant.
      Originally posted by Kristy
      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
      Originally posted by cadaverdog
      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• gbranton
        Veteran
        • Aug 2005

I thought it WAS dead. Oh well, it's dead to me. That and the shit bands who have singers that sound like Cookie Monster, those guys can suck on a tailpipe too.
        "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

WTF? Mall? Math? ooooh! I do know about Cookie Monster though. Hate that.

I miss the days where all we did was fight over hard rock vs heavy metal.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Don't know what you mean by 'Nu Metal' - it's been dead for YEARS. That term generally means bands who are influenced by Korn. Heavily downtuned, soft/heavy, soft/heavy dynamics, and hip hop beats/rapping. After 2003, it died.

Metalcore, however, is still going. I've never undertood why. Killswitch Engage are/were a great band, but the hordes of copyists are getting tired. August Burns Red show how it should be done, but if I hear one more band who screams the verse and puts on a melodic chorus I may explode!

That being said, most modern metal owes far more to prog, death metal and the really rather awesome stuff that has been coming out of Scandanavia for 20 years that it does metal core. In a world where Lamb of God can hit the US charts, extreme metal really is alive and kicking.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
              Along with "math rock" - whatever that is.
              'Mathcore'. Any band that uses the Dillinger Escape Plan template - lots and lots and lots of riffs and crazy time signatures which changes every 3 or 4 bars. At it's best - Dillinger - its outstanding and invigorating. At it's worst its a sea of endless complexity which nothing to steer the listener through the chaos.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

I personally have some pretty far-fetched tastes, from Rat Pack to Reggae to Cowpunk.

But somehow it's all part of the same matrix ya dig?

Sting was punk. You hear those influences in The Police which was not punk. You then hear the influences of The Police in his later solo material. Constant morphing & moving thing music is. It's pretty cool.

But on the flip side, I do agree the metal music that's been popular the last decade sucks ass. Unlistenable, which is sad because a few sound like they got some really cool rhythm going only to be ruined by some skinhead dipshit going "AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHGGGGAAARRRGGGLLLEE!!!!!! "

Meh...try to ignore it. Hate is NOT the opposite of love.

Indifference is.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                  'Mathcore'. Any band that uses the Dillinger Escape Plan template - lots and lots and lots of riffs and crazy time signatures which changes every 3 or 4 bars. At it's best - Dillinger - its outstanding and invigorating. At it's worst its a sea of endless complexity which nothing to steer the listener through the chaos.

Really dude?

What the fuck ever happened to 4 dudes that played different instruments just sitting in a garage drinking beers & coming up with some cool heavy grooves?

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

bands who are influenced by Korn..

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

LOL. I don't see Binnie in my recent threads lately. But make a thread about slutty women or heavy ass music and Binnie will be there.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Really dude?

What the fuck ever happened to 4 dudes that played different instruments just sitting in a garage drinking beers & coming up with some cool heavy grooves?
                        They all started listening to Meshuggah and realized that they couldn't actually play

Some of those bands got some chops and made some great art; the others buried their heads in the sand and made a metalcore record.

Dillenger Escape Plan are great if you want to go on a killing spree. But if you're someone who thinks that Ratt are a metal band, you'll discover that you aren't in Kansas city any more, Toto.......

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

if you're someone who thinks that Ratt are a metal band,.......

Wha?

I fucking LOVE Ratt! RATT N ROLL 4 LIFE!!!!!!

*seriously man...I fucking dig Ratt lololol

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

I love Ratt, too.

My point is that when someone says 'metal' you think '1985', then the metal of 2012 is going to make you crap your pants.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Not so much crap your pants as give the sensation of having to walk about in a hot country with explosive diarrhoea while someone with laryngitis drones on about the same shit you've heard a million times before...

Comment

Working...