X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

ADKOT nuances

The other day, I posted in the official You and Your Blues thread a comment on a 2 second part of the song that caught my ear. I liked how Wolf and Al hit a few notes/beats together just before the solo and it got me thinking, there needs to be a thread dedicated to the small things that go almost unnoticed, but play an integral part in the creation of the great songs we've been treated to. I'll start off with a few more...

• At the1:24mark of Beats Workin, Ed hits the Flange for a brief moment of vintage sweetness. Not that the whole song isn't sweet, but that part makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

• In Big River at the :33 mark "All my big ideas doooone" and :55 mark "that river belongs to meeeee", our guy is clearly layering a beautiful 3 part harmony all on his own. Madly underrated vocal abilities.

• The very final second of Bullethead, is that Ed screaming into his pick up? Can't say for sure, but cool sounding any how!
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM.
  • fourthcoming

There's an old school Dave scream right before the solo in She's the Woman that's hard to hear. There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......especially in the beginning. I can't quite make out exactly what Dave is saying but right before the song kicks in with drums bass and guitar you can hear Dave say Dot Com. Definitely have to use headphones for that one.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
      There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......especially in the beginning. I can't quite make out exactly what Dave is saying but right before the song kicks in with drums bass and guitar you can hear Dave say Dot Com. Definitely have to use headphones for that one.
      Yeah, I love that stuff! Almost sounds like gibberish picked up from a Russian radio broadcast, or another world for that matter.

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
        There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......
        After Russell barks, my kids think Dave is saying "Get outta here!" like the bark actually happened live in the studio.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zing!
          After Russell barks, my kids think Dave is saying "Get outta here!" like the bark actually happened live in the studio.
          I thought I heard Dave mumble "good dog" somewhere in that area.

Comment

• Angel
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

I thought some of the stuff Dave says after the dog bark might have come from the video with the dogs...
            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I LOVE all the subtle things going on as subtext in these tunes!

Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Angel
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                I LOVE all the subtle things going on as subtext in these tunes!
                Couldn't agree more! One could write a fucking thesis on it.

One of my English classes last year, my phone went off while we were discussing the difference between lyrics and poetry. The prof said "I live my life like there's no tomorrow, all I've got, I had to steal...Roth is a lyricist, not a poet".

Not so with this one. I'd love to do a critical analysis of the entire album, but no way do I have the time. Every listen, I find more...

For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...I find myself comparing the 04 tour and the 07/8. We all know Ed was struggling, Spam kept the tour going and then whined about Ed's issues. Dave, not a fucking word. He demonstrated empathy, something Spammy needs to work on...
                "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Angel

For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...I find myself comparing the 04 tour and the 07/8. We all know Ed was struggling, Spam kept the tour going and then whined about Ed's issues. Dave, not a fucking word. He demonstrated empathy, something Spammy needs to work on...

Because Sammy sees VH as his job. His cash train. His gravy.

Dave sees VH as a part of himself, brothers in arms, Eddie....beyond all the bs about royalties, percentages, etc.....is Daves friend.

It's the difference between....

"Get better Eddie so we can get back on tour"

vs

"Lets NOT tour so Eddie can get better"
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Exactly!!!

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2007

Man, I wonder what this shit sounds like backwards

Comment

• katina
                        Commando
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Because Sammy sees VH as his job. His cash train. His gravy.

Dave sees VH as a part of himself, brothers in arms, Eddie....beyond all the bs about royalties, percentages, etc.....is Daves friend.

It's the difference between....

"Get better Eddie so we can get back on tour"

vs

"Lets NOT tour so Eddie can get better"
                        Great words, I totally agree.

Comment

• chi-town324
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Feb 2007

Dave, Ed and Al grew up together...Well from like 18 on up....big difference from people you meet and become friends with later in life

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Angel
                            For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...
                            I like your line, but isn't it, "Beats Workin, startin up all in my feet"? Either way, you made a great point about Spam.

Comment

• Angel
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              I like your line, but isn't it, "Beats Workin, startin up all in my feet"? Either way, you made a great point about Spam.
                              Pretty sure he wrote empathy in the lyrics...but I like yours!

Comment

Working...